Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DrSunshine posted:

That's red title material if I ever saw it.

Can't wait. Wire brush and Dettol for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Paradox Grand Strategy: I can't remember the last time I used soap

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Cartoon depictions of big breasted history, and the failure to use soap. I'll be back after HOI4 drops.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

How accessible is Victoria 2 to a relative newbie to Paradox? I picked up HoI3 about 2 weeks ago and generally understood it, although I wasn't great at war* and wanted to play as an economic or political super-power anyways.

*I was able to figure out the Spanish Civil War as Republican Spain after a bit, and was able to then use my advanced knowledge to get a bunch of Spanish Troops killed trying to keep Germany from taking France in '39 :(

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

How accessible is Victoria 2 to a relative newbie to Paradox?

"Accessible" and Victoria 2 don't belong in the same sentence, really. There's a shitload of obscure mechanics to learn and no tutorial to speak of. Prepare to spend a lot of time reading wikis and experimenting with various ways to play it, inevitably crashing and burning with your first few countries, and ruining the entire economy because you accidentally allowed some capitalists to build an artillery factory instead of a glass factory. Then as soon as you think you've got a handle on things everyone starts murdering each other with poison gas because of a global rubber shortage.

What I'm saying is it's insanely fun, provided you enjoy spergy games that take some figuring out before the actual gameplay begins. I don't think any Vic 2 fan really understands it, but we love it for what it is.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

gently caress, as far as I'm concerned, if you could understand Hearts of Iron 3 you can do anything.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gort posted:

gently caress, as far as I'm concerned, if you could understand Hearts of Iron 3 you can do anything.

I don't want to pretend like I understood everything- at best I was able to generally figure out there were probably multiple reasons I was sucking rear end.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Trial and error is the way to figure out Victoria II.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Gort posted:

I'm at the point where I understand V2 enough to play as almost any civ or any major unciv and get to great power status by 1880, but I can't play HoI3 unless I basically stay out of WWII altogether as Afghanistan.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The difference between Victoria 2 and Hearts of Iron 3 is that in Victoria 2 you don't know what to do, while in Hearts of Iron 3 you do know what you have to do but it's a complete pain in the rear end to do all of it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrProsek posted:

I'm at the point where I understand V2 enough to play as almost any civ or any major unciv and get to great power status by 1880, but I can't play HoI3 unless I basically stay out of WWII altogether as Afghanistan.

I can't play HOI3 full stop because I turn the game off as soon as I realize I'm playing HoI3.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok so first obstacle with Victoria 2- in crashes when it tries to load up the map logic, looking for a file it cannot find. Common issue?

Bought through Steam, not sure if I should re-install?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
delete your map cache

Go to your documents folder: Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria II\map and delete the cache folder.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I can't figure out why people hate hoi3 so much. I really liked it. Never won a game as anyone who wasn't Germany but it was pretty drat fun to play as Russia from 1936 and try to get a handle on things and then watch it inevitsbly coming crashing down around your ears. I hated it when it first came out but when the automate trade button got implemented all of my complaints were wrapped up, really.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Antinumeric posted:

This is just incredibly depressing.

Victorian life sucked.

Ask me about the 800 letters from starving Victorian Catholics begging for enough money to buy food/buy back the clothes they sold to buy food/begging for a ticket to a hospital (poor people had to hope a rich patron of a hospital would give them a ticket, otherwise gently caress you and your consumption), that I spent the last 6 months processing for a new archive catalogue.
Ask me about the established "charities" of the time, that demanded if you were a catholic you sent your children to Protestant schools or even to live with Protestant families before you could get any help.

Ask me about the literal prisons for poor people that were the Union Workhouses.

:smithicide:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

East vs. West is working pretty well, only two crashes so far.

edit: Spies are amazing.

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 30, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Handed Missus posted:

East vs. West is working pretty well, only two crashes so far.

Anything of note besides Haakon VII's missing picture?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kavak posted:

Anything of note besides Haakon VII's missing picture?

Norway is well-known as an oppressive police state with... fully granted civil liberties?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drone posted:

Norway is well-known as an oppressive police state with... fully granted civil liberties?

You'd think certain policy options would lock out others, but that would mean coding something other than boats.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I've obviously changed some of the policies, but Norway does have the oppressive policy from the start. At least in the 1946 scenario. Norway is also one of the few nations with a missing picture for HoS, another one is Bhutan. The UK has 4 nuclear warheads in 1946, the US and the USSR have 0. Other than that, some weird buttons like DIP_SELF.

And a regency council took Gustav's place after he was killed, so that's neat.

edit: EvW crashes whenever there's an election.

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 30, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

One thing I do not fully understand in these games is "cores". I kinda get they're a claim on the territory/people a country province has (at least in the game mechanics) that motivates them to take and protect that region. Is that a correct statement? Anything I'm missing?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 30, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's a "belongs to this nation" marker. Provinces may have multiple cores for multiple nations-- these tend to be contested areas. Additionally in certain games (EUIV), cored provinces may provide better tax income or have lower revolt risk.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

One thing I do not fully understand in these games is "cores". I kinda get they're a claim on the territory/people a country province has (at least in the game mechanics) that motivates them to take and protect that region. Is that a correct statement? Anything I'm missing?

In EU4 terms, cores are more than just claims. If you claim a province you just say "yo my border should include this province". Cores are your de jure territory and if you take it, no one will have a problem with it (in EU3 at least, nationalism got cancelled out by cores).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have and love CK2, and I have EU3 but haven't played much of it. What huge differences / learning curves would I expect from getting EU4?

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

EU4 really has the easiest learning curve of any Paradox release so far. If you're familiar with CK2, moving to EU4 shouldn't be a problem at all. The biggest differences are probably the shift in focus away from characters and dynasties to nation states, and how omnipresent Monarch Points are whenever you want to do anything. With the recent patches that make expansion a little harder, it might take a while before you get an instinct on the sweet spot between going to war and taking some downtime without getting kicked around by coalitions.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kor posted:

EU4 really has the easiest learning curve of any Paradox release so far. If you're familiar with CK2, moving to EU4 shouldn't be a problem at all. The biggest differences are probably the shift in focus away from characters and dynasties to nation states, and how omnipresent Monarch Points are whenever you want to do anything. With the recent patches that make expansion a little harder, it might take a while before you get an instinct on the sweet spot between going to war and taking some downtime without getting kicked around by coalitions.

Should I play around in vanilla first before jumping into any DLCs?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

COOL CORN posted:

Should I play around in vanilla first before jumping into any DLCs?

Sure, but only for the sake of not spending too much money if you end up not liking the game. There aren't any content DLCs for EU4 I'd recommend against, all of them make the game better. If the money isn't important, then there's no reason not to get all the content DLC.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

At the same time none of the DLC are really mandatory either. None of them alter the game in any truly radical way, so you can skip them if you just want to play the game and see how you and it go along.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, the DLCs are a bit like the ones from Crusader Kings - they mostly enrich certain sectors of the game. You could play a full game as Muscovy and not notice any DLC interactions at all, but if you played a North American tribe then the Conquest of Paradise would completely transform your game.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

A Handed Missus posted:

edit: EvW crashes whenever there's an election.

Immediately toggle options on the Political menu until you're allowed to click Suspend elections. After changing a couple settings it will become available. If you don't suspend elections, the game crashes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Immediately toggle options on the Political menu until you're allowed to click Suspend elections. After changing a couple settings it will become available. If you don't suspend elections, the game crashes.

I've been having a crappy morning, but now my day is made. I love this piece of poo poo. :)

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

YF-23 posted:

At the same time none of the DLC are really mandatory either. None of them alter the game in any truly radical way, so you can skip them if you just want to play the game and see how you and it go along.

I'd say Res Publica is pretty mandatory if only for the National Focus mechanic. Though it's still bugged.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok got Victoria 2 to run tonight. Those are some giant rear end menus with very bad font...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's been a really long time since anyone got to say this but:

quote:

1.7.3 - Hotfix Released - Checksum 7d7e
- Support independence minimum opinion should now be -25. (no -1000 AI score)
- Fixed CTD where changing trade in CountryTradeView would assume that the merchant is currently trading.
- CTD when issuing the help command in console.
- National focus now saved.
- Increased precision in fabricate claim discovery, should now be better.
- You will no longer annex Japan when you try to annex a vassal to Japan
- Having national focus unchangeable, the tooltip will now tell you the reason for it.
- Religious unity values will not be super low when legitimacy is below 100.
- Increased precision in fabricate claim discovery, should now be better.
- Loot & Income from Peace is no longer considered as monthly income for income calculations.
- To become unexiled a unit must be fully loaded onto ships.
- Colonies no longer affect religious unity.
- You now no longer get both opinion bonus & penalty when winning elections in an Elective Monarchy.
- Truce now scales per month, not just per year.
- Legitimacy is now set to 90 if a foreign ruler goes on the throne of an Elective Monarchy.
- In an Elective Monarchy, you now get the same dynasty on your noble if current ruler is local.
- Valid opposing rivalries should no longer cancel for the stronger nation at a monthly tick.

Oh Paradox

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh paradox indeed

Paradox Newsletter posted:

Yo, dawg, we heard you like expanding your empire, so we released a game expansion so you can expand while you expand. Res Publica is out now for Europa Universalis IV, allowing you to add a wealth of content that will make you more content with your wealth! Manipulate merchant republics, create new trade posts, and try your hand at ruling through a Republican Dictatorship! View the game through a new Dutch angle as you exploit the struggles within the Dutch Republic!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

V for Vegas posted:

Oh paradox indeed

You heard wrong, I much prefer internal management. Paradox! :argh:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ok another Vicki2 question: I'm playing as Argentina, and I can't change my government. It's a Presidential Dictatorship with the Reactionary Party, and while there are 2 other parties hanging out, my government doesn't let me appoint/select conservative or liberal parties. Is this normal? I don't see any decisions or anything that suggests I'll be able to change the government in the near future either?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You will have to wait for your government to get enough liberal senators/ministers or whatever (as shown in the politics screen) to start reforms to get you out of a dictatorship. You can accomplish this by educating your public via increasing the number of clergy POPs or by spamming elections. You cant select what party in is power manually unless you're a monarchy of some kind.

WELCOME TO VICKY 2 :kheldragar:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agean90 posted:

You will have to wait for your government to get enough liberal senators/ministers or whatever (as shown in the politics screen) to start reforms to get you out of a dictatorship. You can accomplish this by educating your public via increasing the number of clergy POPs or by spamming elections. You cant select what party in is power manually unless you're a monarchy of some kind.

Ah, ok thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

He can't do that, though, he's a republican dictatorship with no elections. The only way out is either revolution or some sort of bizarre shenanigans to turn on voting, at which point the game goes "you allow voting, ergo you're not a dictatorship."

EDIT: IIRC Argentina also starts out as Ruling Party Only for Upper House, though I might be misremembering there.

• Locked thread