Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Darke GBF posted:

I had super high expectations for the story going in, and it was good, but the ending felt abrupt and strange (I'm still glad I managed to play the game without having any of the plot spoiled for me beforehand). I genuinely expected one or both of them to die at the end, maybe on the hill right outside that town, so when Joel's like "I swear" and Ellie's like "Okay then" and it cuts to credits I thought I missed something. No after credits scene, either. Huh. I think I'll go read the PS3 thread, since I'm interested to read some reactions to it.

Maybe what you missed was explained in the alternate ending? Spoilers ahoy, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apache Chief
May 21, 2011
I friend requested a bunch of you who have posted PSN names in this thread. Hoping to get a group chat started using PSN messaging so we can send mass messages to try and form parties as needed.

Add me (Apache_Chief69) or quote this if you want to be on the party list. Coming from 360 I have not touched single player and am loving (while being terrible at) multiplayer.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Feel free to add me and put my PSN under the OP as well. This is all I ever played on the PS3 and It'l be the same on the PS4 in sure.

PSN: Hamburlgar

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do you guys think there is something wrong with the matchmaking or did this game just not sell well? 5-10 minutes searches every single time as a party of four. The PS3 version only took about 2-3min, and that was despite it being 6 months post-release with an extremely fragmented que due to 2 different map packs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Megasabin posted:

Do you guys think there is something wrong with the matchmaking or did this game just not sell well? 5-10 minutes searches every single time as a party of four. The PS3 version only took about 2-3min, and that was despite it being 6 months post-release with an extremely fragmented que due to 2 different map packs.

There is something wrong at the moment. I had six hours of perfect matchmaking heaven last night, but other people have posted of not being able to get a game at all.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Darke GBF posted:

I had super high expectations for the story going in, and it was good, but the ending felt abrupt and strange (I'm still glad I managed to play the game without having any of the plot spoiled for me beforehand). I genuinely expected one or both of them to die at the end, maybe on the hill right outside that town, so when Joel's like "I swear" and Ellie's like "Okay then" and it cuts to credits I thought I missed something. No after credits scene, either. Huh. I think I'll go read the PS3 thread, since I'm interested to read some reactions to it.

"There is such thing as emotional reactions not the result of a character death, you uncultured gently caress," is likely your answer.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Darke GBF posted:

Finally I got to play and beat last year's (pretty much) undisputed game of the year, and with pretty new graphics! It was good, but my expectations were skewed by how much love it got last year on PS3. The gameplay itself was nothing new, and I probably should've played on hard because by the end of the game I had a ridiculous arsenal of unused ammo and grenades that I never really ran out of. I basically used nothing but the flamethrower and stealth kills from the giraffe scene through the rescue. If hard mode makes you easier to spot and/or supplies less frequent, I probably would've had to be more careful and maybe even actually use the smoke bomb at some point. As it was though, I was never hurting for anything, so I think I missed out on part of the intended challenge. The visuals were superb, and the framerate was impressively smooth the whole way through.

When I first played the game it took a few days to decide what I thought of the story.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 31, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

echronorian posted:

When I first played the game it took a few days to decide what I thought of the story.

This is pretty spot on. It's unlike other videogame stories in the way it upsets expectations and leaves you...really loving conflicted. It's like the player is Ellie!:stonkhat:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darke GBF posted:

The gameplay itself was nothing new, and I probably should've played on hard because by the end of the game I had a ridiculous arsenal of unused ammo and grenades that I never really ran out of.

I disagree. For better or worse I think it has pretty original gameplay. Most stealth games are very formulaic and the whole point is to complete a section perfectly, essentially making a puzzle out of it by exploiting the AI's weaknesses. TLOU is much looser and geared towards loving up your stealth approach so you have to pull out your guns when the poo poo hits the fan. To me it's pretty much the only game I can think of that has even tried to shake up generic stealth gameplay at all.

And yeah, harder difficulties will severely limit your resources and it blocks your ability to magically see through walls etc. It's still probably best to play on normal for the first time unless you don't mind loving up the pacing and playing some parts 4 or 5 times.

second-hand smegma posted:

This is pretty spot on. It's unlike other videogame stories in the way it upsets expectations and leaves you...really loving conflicted. It's like the player is Ellie!:stonkhat:

I really liked the ending because it's immediately satisfying in regards to the two main character's fates, but you are stuck with feeling like an rear end in a top hat for enjoying it because it could have been horrible for humanity...or maybe not. It doesn't matter either way because Joel did what he did. Roll credits

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 31, 2014

mascotte
Mar 21, 2013

Ling-Ling here to destroy all! And give children seizure!
Finished the story last night for the first time. I am in love with this game. First of all, the game looks absolutely stunning. The art design pretty much invalidates any shortcomings of this being a remaster and not a full fledged next gen game. It looks totally gorgeous. It's also one of the most engaging stories I've ever experienced in a video game. It's rather straightforward but very emotional and the pacing is absolutely spot on. I really appreciate the slower moments, they make the encounters with the infected/people that much more memorable. I think the last two chapters might be my favorite. Also I gotta say that the final moments of the game really got to me. I wanted Joel to make the decision he ultimately does, even though the games does a fantastic job of making you feel conflicted about it. Especially with the very last scene.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Last of Us really isn't a stealth game and I went from being really loving frustrated to enjoying it once I made this concession. After beating it I even went to compare my "kills" with Uncharted 3 and they're almost similar in how many enemies you kill throughout the game. You may even fight fewer enemies in Tomb Raider than TLOU.

There were moments where it seemed the game wanted me to fail a stealth section. Like I managed to clear out all the infected on the way to the school. As I was sneaking up on literally the last infected it suddenly turned around when I was 20 feet away from it and three more runners magically spawned behind me. In another example I managed to clear out the area in the first city where you have to open the gate at night (before encountering the tank for the first time) and as soon as I started opening the gate a bunch of dudes jumped over the fence because why not? Then there's the sniper section where you're running from house to house under cover of smoke and there's guys conveniently waiting for you in every single building. There's even a guy upstairs in one of the buildings with a shotgun who, for some reason, doesn't turn aggressive until you head upstairs which has nothing in it. I nearly threw my controller during an area where Ellie is sneaking through a hunting lodge. There's a guy hiding behind a chair and it's PAINFULLY OBVIOUS he's there but I couldn't sneak up on him, he turned around and attacked me despite being directly behind him and the button prompt never appeared.

Don't play TLOU as a stealth game, play it as an rear end in a top hat simulator. Never stay behind cover for too long, use your ammo because the game always gives you more, toss things at people's heads to stun them, take human shields, and chop the poo poo out of enemies with whatever melee weapons you get your hands on. And the bow is not only 100% silent but it kills clickers with a single headshot.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 31, 2014

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea the best way to use stealth is just to get the surprise in your initial attack and then play cat & mouse taking hostages, dropping mines and setting up your next victim. Anyway it gets pretty boring just sneaking round choking everybody.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

The Last of Us really isn't a stealth game and I went from being really loving frustrated to enjoying it once I made this concession. After beating it I even went to compare my "kills" with Uncharted 3 and they're almost similar in how many enemies you kill throughout the game. You may even fight fewer enemies in Tomb Raider than TLOU.

There were moments where it seemed the game wanted me to fail a stealth section. Like I managed to clear out all the infected on the way to the school. As I was sneaking up on literally the last infected it suddenly turned around when I was 20 feet away from it and three more runners magically spawned behind me. In another example I managed to clear out the area in the first city where you have to open the gate at night (before encountering the tank for the first time) and as soon as I started opening the gate a bunch of dudes jumped over the fence because why not? Then there's the sniper section where you're running from house to house under cover of smoke and there's guys conveniently waiting for you in every single building. There's even a guy upstairs in one of the buildings with a shotgun who, for some reason, doesn't turn aggressive until you head upstairs which has nothing in it. I nearly threw my controller during an area where Ellie is sneaking through a hunting lodge. There's a guy hiding behind a chair and it's PAINFULLY OBVIOUS he's there but I couldn't sneak up on him, he turned around and attacked me despite being directly behind him and the button prompt never appeared.

Don't play TLOU as a stealth game, play it as an rear end in a top hat simulator. Never stay behind cover for too long, use your ammo because the game always gives you more, toss things at people's heads to stun them, take human shields, and chop the poo poo out of enemies with whatever melee weapons you get your hands on. And the bow is not only 100% silent but it kills clickers with a single headshot.

Totally. If you try to stealth the whole thing it will just be a miserable experience because the AI is weird and unpredictable. Try to stealth as much as possible, but If something notices you for no good reason it's time to just start shooting or punching the gently caress out of it. Trying to play it like MGS will just be an annoying uphill battle.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I finally got to play an hour or two and I don't understand the 10/10 scores so far. It's a good story with beautiful graphics and very clunky combat. It feels exactly like the Uncharted Vita game (the only Uncharted game I've played) except with worse controls, and that game got tiresome/repetitive.

Multiplayer has potential but I again had problems with clunky controls. Frequently got the drop on people only to have nothing happen when I tried to kill them.

Tomb Raider had a much better first impression.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

leidend posted:

I finally got to play an hour or two and I don't understand the 10/10 scores so far. It's a good story with beautiful graphics and very clunky combat. It feels exactly like the Uncharted Vita game (the only Uncharted game I've played) except with worse controls, and that game got tiresome/repetitive.

Multiplayer has potential but I again had problems with clunky controls. Frequently got the drop on people only to have nothing happen when I tried to kill them.

Did you upgrade aiming? It really should be the first thing anyone maxes out.

I can't say I had problem with the controls but that may be a result of having played all the Uncharted games. I actually enjoyed the combat against humans more than anything but the game gets negative points from me for the super uninteresting scripted infected encounters. I really wish they found another plot device to end the world because once the spores pop up I brace myself for an annoying diversion.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

al-azad posted:

Did you upgrade aiming? It really should be the first thing anyone maxes out.

Either haven't had the opportunity or don't know how. I just got out of the leaning building in single player and only played one game of multiplayer. gently caress adulthood.

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about
So Share Factory updated their themes to include TLOU, helps add to the atmosphere of clips like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_aJlGRfbYY

al-azad
May 28, 2009

leidend posted:

Either haven't had the opportunity or don't know how. I just got out of the leaning building in single player and only played one game of multiplayer. gently caress adulthood.

I hate to use the argument "it gets better later" but it really does. The intro is great then the first 2-3 hours are super rough. I don't disagree that first impressions can be mixed because I wasn't feeling it until Philly.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Something I'm getting more worried about as the UK launch approaches.

Will I be able to download the DLC weapons/customisation items on my UK account that I purchased the season pass with on to the US download version of the game?

Really hope I don't have to buy all the items separately!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Kind of amazing these kinds of clusterfucks can still happen in 2014. What are these developers thinking.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I didn't realize some of the perks were DLC only. I just thought there were ways to buy the unlocks early so you don't have to unlock them. Are any of them worth it?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Megasabin posted:

It isn't out everywhere yet. See how it is at the weekend.

ufarn posted:

Kind of amazing these kinds of clusterfucks can still happen in 2014. What are these developers thinking.

That people might buy the game in their region, and the DLC in their region, and not buy them from multiple regions like Carmen Sandiego hopping around the world? If you bought the game from the US Store to save money, why not buy the US DLC?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Seedge posted:

That people might buy the game in their region, and the DLC in their region, and not buy them from multiple regions like Carmen Sandiego hopping around the world? If you bought the game from the US Store to save money, why not buy the US DLC?

Wasn't it more the fact the US got the game on Tuesday and they were too impatient to wait until Friday?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I don't know why they started the game off like that, but the beginning of the game is easily the worst. I didn't think the game got interesting until you leave the initial city. Even then I don't think it ever got passed the problems that the Uncharted games had.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Problems like being really fun?

Replaying the game I forgot how little time you spend in Boston.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Fateo McMurray posted:

Problems like being really fun?

Replaying the game I forgot how little time you spend in Boston.

No, problems like the encounters a lot of times being crap and waist high walls everywhere. Many times I would fail encounters and then I would finally pass it despite not doing much differently.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

No, problems like the encounters a lot of times being crap and waist high walls everywhere. Many times I would fail encounters and then I would finally pass it despite not doing much differently.

Oh no my game where taking cover and hiding is a big part of it has lots of cover

And not doing much differently? Well apparently you did enough differently to pass so

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Fateo McMurray posted:

Oh no my game where taking cover and hiding is a big part of it has lots of cover

And not doing much differently? Well apparently you did enough differently to pass so

I am not even going to get into it with you. Just accept it as a criticism of the game and a difference of opinion and move on.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I just don't get the complaint. "There's a lot of cover in my game where that's a huge game mechanic and after I fail an encounter if I do something slightly differently sometimes I pass"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Seedge posted:

They're buying the US version, because the European is censored; MP has no gore in it. It's not about saving money.

And the DLC is from their PS3 purchase.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

ufarn posted:

They're buying the US version, because the European is censored; MP has no gore in it. It's not about saving money.

And the DLC is from their PS3 purchase.

Oh no, not the gore! When I beat a man to death with a stick with scissors taped to it, it won't be anywhere near as realistic! I fear the game I'm waiting to play the multiplayer of for for the entire weekend is now ruined. I don't even remember if the PS3 version in Ireland had gore or not.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

It did not. There was the American version, and the euro "oh no Germans can't see gore or else hitler might rise again" version.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I forgot how miserable the first real stealth sequence in Boston is. 4 Runners and a clicker before youre really equipped to handle that. Ugh.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I forgot how miserable the first real stealth sequence in Boston is. 4 Runners and a clicker before youre really equipped to handle that. Ugh.

Yup I hated this part the first time I played it on my ps3. Got this far yesterday on my ps4 and had to turn it off for a bit. =)

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

leidend posted:

This is exactly how I felt initially but it grew on me. I still think it's an overrated game but as others have noted once you start figuring out how to play it gets more fun. I didn't think the first two chapters were very compelling at all but Winter was pretty great.

Still been meaning to try multiplayer but I've been too busy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is really the only truly awful scenario I can remember. With few exceptions you can bypass infected sections without getting spotted or running away but here you have a pistol, a brick, and a clicker with its back to the wall because why not?

I recommend making a mad dash to the platform you're supposed to climb. The infected can only climb it one at a time at which point you should have enough ammo to take them all out.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm still not sure which part you are referring to. Are you talking about the collapsed building, where you enter the room above the infected, and then have to hop down to take them all out?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Oh hey guys guess who's crying at the ending again.

It's me. :cry:

e: Just kidding I was crying during pretty much every cutscene.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 31, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm still not sure which part you are referring to. Are you talking about the collapsed building, where you enter the room above the infected, and then have to hop down to take them all out?

It's the room right after you get the revolver. There's a clicker standing with its back to a wall and four runners patrolling the tiny area. One of the runner is down a side hallway standing completely motionless so you'll probably miss it the first time around. All four runners cross paths meaning there's really no area to hide in as they will come across you eventually. One of the runners even patrols within 5' of the clicker so distracting one will alert the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Remember: runners can't see your flashlight AT ALL!

Only Stalkers can see the flashlight, and they don't come until later.

• Locked thread