Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014

ColHannibal posted:

Byron David Smith.

This guy got tired of kids breaking into his basement so he makes his house look like its empty one night and lays in wait for the kids to break in again. The most chilling thing is how he just coup de grâce's the girl after his first gun jams. This guy was rightfully convinced of first degree murder, as he had no other intention besides killing some kids that night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_David_Smith_killings

"I am not a bleeding heart liberal."
You don't say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
What kept going through my head when that happened was the multitude of other, far better solutions to the problem. Dude couldn't just let them get in the basement and lock them down there until the cops showed up, or hire home security professionals to better secure the property in the first place (he'd already paid for the security system, why not more sturdy entrance doors and locks?), or hide in the dark with a starter pistol and scare the crap out of the thieves--he was determined to actually kill people. That was his goal. "I'm going to let them get in and I'm going to loving kill them," is undoubtedly what he was thinking. What a piece of poo poo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Official: Vermillion teens died in car crash in 1971.

This popped up on the AP wire earlier this year. Yep, this year.

quote:

"Both girls' parents have died. Jackson's father, Oscar Jackson, of Alcester, died at age 102 just days before the car was discovered."

Ouch. Bad timing.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What kept going through my head when that happened was the multitude of other, far better solutions to the problem. Dude couldn't just let them get in the basement and lock them down there until the cops showed up, or hire home security professionals to better secure the property in the first place (he'd already paid for the security system, why not more sturdy entrance doors and locks?), or hide in the dark with a starter pistol and scare the crap out of the thieves--he was determined to actually kill people. That was his goal. "I'm going to let them get in and I'm going to loving kill them," is undoubtedly what he was thinking. What a piece of poo poo.

"Fox News host Sean Hannity supported Smith's actions on his show citing the fact that the teens broke into Smith's house to commit a robbery. Another guest on the show agreed, stating: “The guy should get a medal of freedom for what he did.” Geraldo Rivera also stated that he would have shot them as well".

God Bless America.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing that freaks me our is that he was convicted on the evidence heard on a recording he made of the killing. He was planning on reliving it the same way that serial killers do.

He clearly saw his excuse to get away with murder and took it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Lake Lanier, mentioned in this article, is kinda freaky anyway. It's man-made and the only things moved for its creation were cemeteries. There's at least some forest under the water, homes ... and a racetrack. Someone claimed to have spotted a gas station down there.

(There's also an inordinate amount of drownings and boat accidents.)

Funny you mention Lake Lanier. In June a police officer that only 32 years old drowned 35 feet from shore at Lake Lanier. http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/cumming/2014/06/26/lake-lanier-body/11437165/ Pretty young guy and he drowns only 35 feet out? Makes no sense.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Prior to the incident, Byron Smith had been burglarized at least half a dozen times over the past few months. Among the items stolen were thousands of dollars in cash, the watch his father had received after spending nearly a year as a POW in World War II, medals and ribbons Smith had earned in the Air Force during the Vietnam War, several firearms, and jewelry. Smith began routinely wearing a holster with a loaded gun inside his home. There is some evidence that Kifer and Brady committed at least a couple of the previous break-ins and were being investigated for prior robberies, including one earlier on the day they were killed. Smith installed a security system to protect himself.

Did the guy go too far? Yes he did. But apparently he was getting broken into all the time and was sick of it. If he hadn't been as sadistic about it then I would believe him about being worried the people breaking in were armed since he'd had firearms stolen. Plus he lost his father's watch and medals he earned in the Air Force, that has to take an emotional toll on the guy. The people he shot were already being investigate for breaking into his house before.

Coredump has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Jul 31, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He would have been acquitted if he hadn't set up a tape recorder and turned it on prior to luring the first burglar into the basement. Maybe even if he hadn't taunted a mortally wounded teenage girl before dragging her onto a tarp and killing her.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

He would have been acquitted if he hadn't set up a tape recorder and turned it on prior to luring the first burglar into the basement. Maybe even if he hadn't taunted a mortally wounded teenage girl before dragging her onto a tarp and killing her.

This literally just happened again this past week except this time the woman was pregnant and begging for her life before the old guy shot her in the head.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Quint Gets Eaten posted:

I don't think any of us are justifying what he did. You can feel sympathy for someone; it doesn't make you a supporter of their actions. I think we're just pointing out that not everyone fits into a specific set of labels, not even someone who murdered seventeen people, and that is scary and unnerving.

Personally, I don't really feel sympathy for him. Dahmer was a piece of poo poo - I don't care that he felt sad about murdering people, he still murdered a lot of them and loved doing it and would have continued if he weren't caught. He's a monster in my eyes, because I value actions above how people feel about things.

Sympathy is wasted on people like Dahmer. He dug his own hole, filled it with the bodies of dead boys he raped and murdered, and finally died in it. And yet, we sit around a message board talking about having sympathy because he appeared genuinely "Sorry". I'd rather save my sympathy for people in bad situations that weren't the result of their own stupid actions. Dahmer made a choice to do the things he did, and he loving loved doing it so much he did it over and over and over.

SheepNameKiller has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Jul 31, 2014

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

SheepNameKiller posted:

Personally, I don't really feel sympathy for him. Dahmer was a piece of poo poo - I don't care that he felt sad about murdering people, he still murdered a lot of them and loved doing it and would have continued if he weren't caught. He's a monster in my eyes, because I value actions above how people feel about things.

Sympathy is wasted on people like Dahmer. He dug his own hole, filled it with the bodies of dead boys he raped and murdered, and finally died in it. And yet, we sit around a message board talking about having sympathy because he appeared genuinely "Sorry". I'd rather save my sympathy for people in bad situations that weren't the result of their own stupid actions. Dahmer made a choice to do the things he did, and he loving loved doing it so much he did it over and over and over.

Leaving aside anything to do with the murders, I feel sympathy for him for the exact same reason I would feel sympathetic to anyone who had the same childhood as him. I'm not going to try and excuse his murders as a product of his upbringing, I'm just going to feel sympathetic to the poor human being going through the poo poo he did, in his formative years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case here is one from close to home that, while I'm sure is old fodder for the thread, always weirded me out a bit. It seems somewhat bizarre to think that spy thrillers are not purely outlandish fiction, and this sort of thing does actually happen.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

willus posted:

Leaving aside anything to do with the murders, I feel sympathy for him for the exact same reason I would feel sympathetic to anyone who had the same childhood as him. I'm not going to try and excuse his murders as a product of his upbringing, I'm just going to feel sympathetic to the poor human being going through the poo poo he did, in his formative years.

I guess what makes me cringe about it is just the fact that there are plenty of other people more worthy of sympathy. Regardless of what caused him to become a monster, he became one. He even knew what he was doing was wrong, and he kept doing it. That doesn't make him contrite - it makes him a worse person, because he took personal responsibility for the things he did, internalized how bad it was, and it still wasn't enough to stop him. In the end, the monster always won out over the scared, abused boy. And he handed out many times the amount of abuse he suffered.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I kinda want to call bullshit on the fact that he had been burglarized six times before. I'm looking around the news reports about it and all I can find is stuff like this:
''Though the teens were unarmed, he told police he'd been burglarized before and feared they had a weapon.''

In another article, there's this claim:
'' And court documents from another case show Brady had burglarized Smith's property at least twice in the months before he was shot.'' with a link to a different article, which doesn't actually contain that information at all and just says that the 2 dead kids might have broken into a different house.

''The teenage cousins shot and killed during an alleged home burglary on Thanksgiving Day may have committed a similar crime a day earlier at a house nearby, investigators say.''

Unless I'm bad at reading it just sounds like the old guy is just claiming he got burglarized and he never called the police about it, otherwise the police should know if it's true, right?

e: Hell, even the wikipedia article is full of poo poo.
''There is some evidence that Kifer and Brady committed at least a couple of the previous break-ins and were being investigated for prior robberies, including one earlier on the day they were killed.''

The two sources mentioned only say that the car the kids drove was seen around the area of a previous break in.

ravenkult has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Jul 31, 2014

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

bamhand posted:

This literally just happened again this past week except this time the woman was pregnant and begging for her life before the old guy shot her in the head.

Except the kids beat the old man up first, and continued going through his house looking for stuff to steal. Also the girl was lying about being pregnant, if that matters.

Coredump posted:

Did the guy go too far? Yes he did. But apparently he was getting broken into all the time and was sick of it. If he hadn't been as sadistic about it then I would believe him about being worried the people breaking in were armed since he'd had firearms stolen. Plus he lost his father's watch and medals he earned in the Air Force, that has to take an emotional toll on the guy. The people he shot were already being investigate for breaking into his house before.

At least one news agency was reporting that the guy was on medication for some mental issues, but the medication was stolen in an earlier robbery. The possibility that the thieves stole the guy's brain meds leading him to become unhinged enough to execute them is amazing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well, don't break into houses right?

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
loving hell, when did this thread turn into the 'let's have sympathy for complete cunts' thread? Dahmer was loving sick and if you care about him at all at least have the respect for his victims to shut up about it. Teen burglars are dicks and shouldn't have been there. Old guy murderer was a dick and should have trapped them and called the police. Let's just accept the fact that everyone is poo poo and talk about scary Wikipedia pages.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Its not like people have a finite amount of sympathy though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think some people in this thread really don't even understand what the word "sympathy" means and what it entails. That in itself is scary and unnerving, but sadly not very surprising. Speaking for myself only, I've found I can feel sympathy for literally anyone if I learn enough about them.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Jul 31, 2014

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

SheepNameKiller posted:

I guess what makes me cringe about it is just the fact that there are plenty of other people more worthy of sympathy. Regardless of what caused him to become a monster, he became one. He even knew what he was doing was wrong, and he kept doing it. That doesn't make him contrite - it makes him a worse person, because he took personal responsibility for the things he did, internalized how bad it was, and it still wasn't enough to stop him. In the end, the monster always won out over the scared, abused boy. And he handed out many times the amount of abuse he suffered.

You're looking at this from the perspective of sympathy being a limited thing. People are capable of feeling sympathy for Dahmer and still feeling sympathy for people who aren't serial killers, its not as though by me feeling sympathy for his terrible upbringing I've used up that portion of sympathy and someone else has to go without. I also said I feel sympathetic towards his hosed up childhood, which his later actions in no way influenced. I personally cant write off his hosed upbringing because later he turned into the person he turned into, as his upbringing wasn't his fault.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders another close to home one, it always seems so much stranger when its your country and not somewhere else.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Very few things make me physically tear up while reading them. This just makes me incredibly sad.

Genie posted:

Father hit arm. Big wood. Genie cry...Not spit. Father. Hit face – spit. Father hit big stick. Father is angry. Father hit Genie big stick. Father take piece wood hit. Cry. Father make me cry. Father is dead.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

It's kinda hosed up though to say ''I feel bad for Dahmer'' yet no one is talking about his victims. Where's the sympathy for the actual people that got murdered because of this rear end in a top hat? Dude's famous and nobody remembers the victim's names.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Official: Vermillion teens died in car crash in 1971.

This popped up on the AP wire earlier this year. Yep, this year.

The car was actually found in the creek late last year, but the investigation wasn't complete until April.

For 43 years, the answer to the question was right there. But yet, it was sunk into water, invisible.

This was a similar one: Skeleton in Car Solves 32-Year-Old Mystery. I think I remember reading this on Snopes years ago while wasting time at work. Lake Lanier, mentioned in this article, is kinda freaky anyway. It's man-made and the only things moved for its creation were cemeteries. There's at least some forest under the water, homes ... and a racetrack. Someone claimed to have spotted a gas station down there.

(There's also an inordinate amount of drownings and boat accidents.)

There are literally hundreds of submerged cars in Houston's bayous that nobody is investigating due to the cost of removing them.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Sonar-pictures-reveal-more-than-100-vehicles-sunk-5474530.php#photo-6296043

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

ravenkult posted:

It's kinda hosed up though to say ''I feel bad for Dahmer'' yet no one is talking about his victims. Where's the sympathy for the actual people that got murdered because of this rear end in a top hat? Dude's famous and nobody remembers the victim's names.

It's good to remember that sympathy for either Dahmer or his victims doesn't do anything for them in the least. It neither hurts nor harms them, because they're all dead. Sympathy isn't going to power up Dahmer and make him able to rise from the grave, and remembering the victim's names isn't going to do anything for them, either. I'm not sure what effect you think sympathy has, there seems to be a strong belief in this thread that it has some sort of magic power. Sympathy doesn't mean 'and therefore what he did was fine'. By having sympathy (or actually, probably, empathy) for Dahmer, you can perhaps begin to approach understanding how and why he did what he did, and work to preventing it in the future.

Here's a more touching creepy story:

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/vietnamese-man-still-sleeps-with-his-dead-wife.html

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ravenkult posted:

That's certainly a fair point, it sucks that Dahmer's name will go down in history and nobody will ever remember the names of his victims. As for sympathy of course I have plenty of sympathy for any murder victim, but I think sometimes its easy to assume that something like that goes without saying. Sympathy for Dahmer himself is a more interesting topic for discussion because to me it says a lot about the human condition in general.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I think there's a disconnect happening in the conversation about Dahmer. Feeling bad for him or feeling sympathy doesn't negate the sick poo poo that he did. It's rather the idea that he was a human being--not an alien or a comic supervillain or a demon from hell, just a Homo sapiens that did some horrible stuff that has happened many times in history. Hitler isn't scary because he was an aberration, he's terrifying because he's a failed artist who got involved in politics during an economic depression and got the power to do horrible things.

Speaking of which, in the west we don't often hear about the Indian Emperor Ashoka, who was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people through conquest, then converted to Buddhism, and continued with the killing for different reasons:

Ashoka (304-232 BCE) is said to have ordered killings of 18,000 Jains after someone drew a picture of Buddha bowing at the feet of Mahavira.

And he built his own sort of concentration camp to torture people to death. It was called Ashoka's Hell, and...

quote:

In the narrative of Ashokavadana, Ashoka asked Girika to disguise the torture chamber as a beautiful and "enticing" palace full of amenities such as exclusive baths and to decorate it with flowers, fruit trees and many ornaments. The palatial torture chamber was artfully designed to make people long to just look at it, and even attract them to enter, and was referred to as the "beautiful gaol".

According to the mythology, beneath the veneer of beauty, inside the exclusive mansion, torture chambers were constructed which were full of the most sadistic and cruel instruments of torture including furnaces producing molten metal for pouring on the prisoners.

In the narrative, Ashoka made a pact with Girika that he would never allow anyone who entered the palace to exit alive, including Ashoka himself. The torture chamber was so terrifying, that King Ashoka was thought to have visited hell so that he could perfect its evil design. In the Biographical Sutra of King Ashoka the palace is described by the sentence: 'King Ashoka constructed a hell'.

Strangely, I only know about this guy because a really good friend in high school was named after him.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lets try to jump away from serial killers again. They should probably have their own thread since I find them fascinating and love to hear other people's opinions or interesting facts that aren't on wikipedia pages, but there is no way in hell I'm starting a "Post Your Favorite Serial Killer" thread.

The Tsavo Man-Eaters

Two lions that terrorized a bridge construction project in Kenya towards the end of the 19th century. If the stories are to be believed they killed over 100 people and one of them was shot a ton of loving times before dying. I've seen them at the Field Museum a few times and always struggle to comprehend how, I don't know, obsurd the whole thing seems by today's standards. I just can't imagine that much carnage being caused by two animals.

Actually, all the man-eater entries are pretty intriguing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-eater

It goes to show that we're still part of the food chain no matter how advanced we get.

How about the Champawat Tiger? Estimated 430 deaths by one tiger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champawat_Tiger

The weirdest thing about this it that apparently it started hunting humans because its canines were damaged in a way that prevented it from hunting its natural prey. So humans were an easier target.

nerdz has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Jul 31, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

willus posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders another close to home one, it always seems so much stranger when its your country and not somewhere else.

There's a film of this on Netflix and it's a really good watch. I think it's on Netflix anyway.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's a film of this on Netflix and it's a really good watch. I think it's on Netflix anyway.

Do yourself a favor and read the wikipedia page before you watch it. I found it to be very dry and uninteresting until I read up on the murders and gave it a rewatch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do yourself a favor and read the wikipedia page before you watch it. I found it to be very dry and uninteresting until I read up on the murders and gave it a rewatch.

I agree. The movie sometimes drops you into scenes where you may not fully understand the circumstances if you don't have knowledge of the case beforehand. There's a few very disturbing scenes in the movie but knowing what happens off screen makes it even worse(or better I guess depending on your viewing tastes).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ravenkult posted:

It's unfortunate but hardly uncommon, though. Who can name a victim of any school shooting that happened in the past 15 years? Everyone remembers Adam Lanza, though. And Eric and Dylan. Mohammed Atta rings a bell. Pretty much everyone is hard pressed to name someone killed on September 11th. It's just how it is, and it is hosed up. Doesn't help that the media blasts the names of these people at us whenever something like it happens and these monsters, misunderstood or hosed up or not, are remembered and the victims are just a nameless bunch of people killed by them to most of us. There's no difference between fame and infamy anymore.

So uh. On that note, The Zodiac Killer. At least he never had a confirmed name to remember aside from that one. It's obviously a widely known case, but as far as serial killers go, it has to be up there among the strangest and most puzzling ones.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

It's unfortunate but hardly uncommon, though. Who can name a victim of any school shooting that happened in the past 15 years? Everyone remembers Adam Lanza, though. And Eric and Dylan. Mohammed Atta rings a bell. Pretty much everyone is hard pressed to name someone killed on September 11th. It's just how it is, and it is hosed up. Doesn't help that the media blasts the names of these people at us whenever something like it happens and these monsters, misunderstood or hosed up or not, are remembered and the victims are just a nameless bunch of people killed by them to most of us. There's no difference between fame and infamy anymore.

So uh. On that note, The Zodiac Killer. At least he never had a confirmed name to remember aside from that one. It's obviously a widely known case, but as far as serial killers go, it has to be up there among the strangest and most puzzling ones.

Most of them will drop away in time, though. You probably don't remember 90% of the names on wiki's list of mass shooters. I deliberately try to avoid the names of people like that because they do it to be famous, but I recognize 12 out of 1300, and only 2 from before 1990:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

Serial killers are underrepresented, though. I know 14:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_by_number_of_victims

Infamy really only speaks to media sensationalism. Nobody remembers these people for that long, really. And even a really famous one from 100 years ago isn't much now. I only know about HH Holmes because of this thread, and he did way more hosed up poo poo than that virgin loser college kid from last month.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thankfully the attention span of the media is short enough for some of these people to fade into obscurity, unless they're the ones who didn't kill themselves after their rampage because in those cases they tend to stay in the headlines with exclusive prison interviews and other ghoulish and sensational rubbish the media puts out. The sad fact is that the more gruesome and horrid the act, the more infamous/famous you become and it actively motivates a lot of these people.

The Virginia Tech shooter even sent a "media manifesto" to NBC before killing all those people, and of course NBC practically came in their pants when they got it. They literally admitted to being aware they were broadcasting the words (audio recorded by the guy, with bleeped swearing) "of a killer" and felt they couldn't sit on the package they'd received. It's abhorrent. CNN went even further by shoving microphones into kids' faces and asking them how it made them feel when "they saw their friends being shot" the very day the Sandy Hook shooting happened.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I would really hate to be remembered as that guy who got killed by so and so. To make this marginally relevant, imagine if that was your wikipedia page.

"Notable only for being murdered by some crazy dude."

Yeah, I'd rather my name not come up in that context. If you don't know who they are otherwise why do you care what the names of the victims are? Let them rest in peace. Nobody wants to be canonized as a victim nearly as much as our modern culture wants to have victims to canonize.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

nerdz posted:

How about the Champawat Tiger? Estimated 430 deaths by one tiger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champawat_Tiger

The weirdest thing about this it that apparently it started hunting humans because its canines were damaged in a way that prevented it from hunting its natural prey. So humans were an easier target.

Most maneaters follow a regular pattern. They're too old or injured yo hunt their usual prey, or maybe there isn't any this year so they're starving. They probably start scavenging around settlements out of their usual range, maybe find a dead body recently buried and hey, free protein!

After that it progresses to opportunistic attacks on pets or humans, then full on stalking because guns aside humans are pretty weedy yet fairly tasty. Takes an usual set of circumstances for them to start attacking but once it finds a pattern it'll usually keep going until it dies or gets put down.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Stare-Out posted:

Pretty much everyone is hard pressed to name someone killed on September 11th. It's just how it is, and it is hosed up.

At the risk of a derail there were some vaguely famous people killed on 9/11.

Barbara Olson was the wife of Solicitor General Ted Olsen who represented Bush in Bush v. Gore and later successfully argued in favor of repelling Prop 8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Olson

David Angell produced Fraiser and Wings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Angell

Berry Berenson was the wife of Anthony Perkins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry_Berenson

And then of course Seth MacFarlane and Marky Mark were both almost killed on 911.

On a very morbid note never listen to the 9/11 phone calls, their both in the spirit of this thread and horribly depressing.

quote:

911 Dispatcher 8695:

No, no, very hot, no fire for now, and no smoke right? no smoke, right?

Melissa ***: (felt it might be best to censor her last name even though it's found online of course)

OF COURSE THERE'S SMOKE

911 Dispatcher 8695:

Okay dear, I'm so sorry, hold on for a sec, stay calm with me, stay calm, listen, listen, the call is in, I'm documenting, hold on one second please...

Melissa ***
:

I'm going to die, aren't I?

911 Dispatcher 8695:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, say your, ma'am, say your prayers.

Melissa ***:

I'm going to die.

911 Dispatcher 8695:

You gotta think positive, because you gotta help each other get off the floor.

Melissa ***:

I'm going to die.

911 Dispatcher 8695:

I already notified the lieutenant that there's five people on the 83rd floor, very hot and smoky, so they won't overlook you, okay dear?

Melissa ***:

Can you...can you...

911 Dispatcher 8695:

I already did that dear.

Melissa ***:

Stay on the line with me please, I feel like I'm dying.

911 Dispatcher 8695

Yes ma'am, I am going to stay with you.

Melissa ***:

They're here?

911 Dispatcher 8695:

Are they inside with you yet dear?

Melissa ***:

No

911 Dispatcher 8695:

Okay, stay calm until they get inside.

Melissa ***:

Can you find out where they are?

911 Dispatcher 8695:

Okay, stay calm, stay calm, stay calm until they get inside.

Melissa ***:

Can...(voice stops)

radio traffic between Dispatcher 8695 and an unknown

tviolet
May 20, 2004

I have still about 5 pages to read from this thread, so I hope it wasn't posted already.

This is about the Tuskegee syphilis experiment : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment

quote:

The Tuskegee syphilis experiment was an infamous clinical study conducted between 1932 and 1972 by the U.S. Public Health Service to study the natural progression of untreated syphilis in rural African American men who thought they were receiving free health care from the U.S. government.

The Public Health Service started working with the Tuskegee Institute in 1932. Investigators enrolled in the study a total of 600 impoverished sharecroppers from Macon County, Alabama. 399 of those men had previously contracted syphilis before the study began, and 201 did not have the disease. The men were given free medical care, meals, and free burial insurance, for participating in the study. They were never told they had syphilis, nor were they ever treated for it. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the men were told they were being treated for "bad blood", a local term for various illnesses that include syphilis, anemia, and fatigue.

So much wrong with all of this.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

tviolet posted:

I have still about 5 pages to read from this thread, so I hope it wasn't posted already.

This is about the Tuskegee syphilis experiment : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment

So much wrong with all of this.
Yeah, it's always unnerving reading various unclassified instances of the government just testing poo poo out and wondering what the contemporary examples we'll find out about when all the subjects are old or dead will be...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethical_human_experimentation_in_the_United_States

Ditto all the stuff involving the CIA and acid, though I guess I'd rather be unknowingly observed while secretly dosed with LSD while visiting a prostitute than most of the stuff they did to black/poor people.

quote:

Between 1960 and 1971, the Department of Defense funded non-consensual whole body radiation experiments on poor, black cancer patients, who were not told what was being done to them. Patients were told that they were receiving a "treatment" that might cure their cancer, but the Pentagon was trying to determine the effects of high levels of radiation on the human body. One of the doctors involved in the experiments, Robert Stone, was worried about litigation by the patients. He referred to them only by their initials on the medical reports. He did this so that, in his words, "there will be no means by which the patients can ever connect themselves up with the report", in order to prevent "either adverse publicity or litigation".
:v:

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Lithopedions/"stone babies" are super interesting. Basically, when a fetus dies in the womb, the body is occasionally unable to safely reabsorb it, and so to prevent the internal dead tissue from becoming a problem, just calcifies the whole thing and writes off the space. So often you're just having a normal pregnancy and then the baby... vanishes, and never comes out. In some especially rare cases they can actually stay inside the bodies for decades without being noticed while other pregnancies occur around them.

And in a similar "bodies are amazing", but much more :neckbeard: way, here's primordial dwarfism-afflicted Charlotte Garside next to a really big rabbit.

ravenkult posted:

Where's the sympathy for the actual people that got murdered because of this rear end in a top hat?

Everywhere the Dahmer case is brought up even tangentially, including both times it's come up in the Wikipedia threads. Maybe I should go edit cusses in front of every mention of his name so nobody forgets what he was famous for doing :rolleyes:

And to me, Konerak Sinthasomphone, the kid who almost got away before the police handed him right back to that murderous piece of poo poo Dahmer, has a pretty memorable name and story, enough to stick in my head. It's up to you to contribute if you think the victims are being ignored.

SheepNameKiller posted:

I guess what makes me cringe about it is just the fact that there are plenty of other people more worthy of sympathy... And he handed out many times the amount of abuse he suffered.

My unnerving experience is realizing that some people are worried they might run out of sympathy, and they apparently think they can mathematically determine who's worth it. I know that's not really what you think, but look at what you wrote! You knows sympathy just means pity or regret in these contexts? It's like saying "ain't that a shame".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cobweb Heart posted:

My unnerving experience is realizing that some people are worried they might run out of sympathy, and they apparently think they can mathematically determine who's worth it. I know that's not really what you think, but look at what you wrote! You knows sympathy just means pity or regret in these contexts? It's like saying "ain't that a shame".

You put it more clearly and succinctly than I ever could(and I tried). The only thing I'm still hoping is maybe there is a semantics problem here, like maybe sympathy has taken on some new meaning I'm not aware of.

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014
Many other people have put the "reasons we might feel sympathy for Dahmer" mindset into words very well, so I'll just jump in and add that feeling sympathy for the victims of horrific crimes goes without saying, but sympathy regarding the perpetrator of said crimes is hardly common and that is why we are discussing it as opposed to the former. "I feel kind of bad for Jeffrey Dahmer" is an unpopular and controversial thing to say; I get that, but I don't think it's wrong to feel compassion for another human being. It doesn't undermine the terrible things he has done, it's just an emotional response some of us have had to his story.

In unrelated news, I'm surprised I haven't heard about the story of the crazy old man laying in wait for some teenagers to shoot up before now. I would think something like that would have been a huge story given the "Stand Your Ground" lean the whole thing has to it. You know us Americans and our guns! (Or maybe it was a huge story and I'm a dumbass shut-in who managed to miss it)

Edit: In my experience the word 'sympathy' has adopted the definition 'to feel bad for;' atl east, that's how I've used it/heard it used. Dictionary.com says:
" 1.
harmony of or agreement in feeling, as between persons or on the part of one person with respect to another.
the harmony of feeling naturally existing between persons of like tastes or opinion or of congenial dispositions.
the fact or power of sharing the feelings of another, especially in sorrow or trouble; fellow feeling, compassion, or commiseration."

So kinda close I guess

Quint Gets Eaten has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VidaGrey
Mar 19, 2009

The more I see of men, the more I like dogs.

Cobweb Heart posted:

And in a similar "bodies are amazing", but much more :neckbeard: way, here's primordial dwarfism-afflicted Charlotte Garside next to a really big rabbit.

I agree with the sympathy thing. People are so black and white about stuff sometimes that it's unnerving. We aren't robots and feeling sympathy doesn't mean that we are taking away the fact that he was responsible for the atrocities that he had committed.

As for primordial dwarfism, it's such an extremely rare condition but someone gave birth to a boy with the disorder near my old hometown. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/griffith/article_42bff31e-74e8-5bc4-959e-9296ad9a4f19.html soooo tiny