Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

We already had this discussion in this thread and my consensus is making excuses about a .925 goalie entering his prime is a luxury. Anybody who thinks Schneider isn't awesome is delusional to me. Put it this way, NJ doesn't have to worry about its goaltending next year.

Still haven't argued my point that if the Devils had the exact same year even with shootouts included but with a .921 goalie playing in most of Brodeur's games they would have made the playoffs last year. And they got better this off-season. They're not a lock, I won't say that, but I would put money on them making it this year.

I probably shouldn't have wrote that Schneider couldn't drag them to the playoffs but what I meant is that he's not going to help when they score literally zero goals in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

But he would have last year had Brodeur not been on the team. That's my point. Devils didn't make the playoffs because of bad goaltending in 40 games. Their offense sucked 5 on 5 but their PP was top ten and their defense was more good than their offense was bad.

Not only that but with Volchenkov gone and Gelinas/Merrill/Larsson taking his minutes and adding Cammalleri and Havlat, the offense is gonna be slightly better.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Funfact: The only goalies with a higher save % than Cory Schneider over the last 4 years are... none of them!

Koopa Kid posted:

I blocked evilwaldo once because of playoff posting and missed the best SAS meltdown of all time so now I'll never block anyone again.

My meltdown will come, someday.

E: NJ made their offense better, and they still have the best defense and likely one of the best goalies in the NHL. I'd put money on them making the playoffs.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The New Jersey Devils will make the 2014-15 Stanely Cup playoffs :toxx:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Dude shootouts are not indicative of how good teams are at all. Even with last year included, guess which NHL team has the most shootout wins since it's inception? The Devils. Your players' breakaway skills over a small sample size has nothing to do with actual team performance numbers in a real hockey game.

That's backwards.

The Devils had really bad shooting percentages in real hockey games. It's not surprising they were also bad in shootouts. Shooting is a big part of the shootout. It's about 5/8ths of it by my count.

Saying "if not for the shootout losses" is kind of like saying "if not for this thing they're not good at...". It may be a true statement but it doesn't really mean a whole lot. I really don't think they had 5 shootout wins in them that came down to luck.

Now the Brodeur thing, that's absolutely true.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils were 25th in the league in shooting percentage in 2009 and went 6-2 in shootouts. I doubt there's much correlation there long term. Schneider being bad at shootouts (and Brodeur being good at them when he was still playable) is a thing though, and losing guys who dominated in the shootout like Kovalchuk/Parise is a thing.

The Devils are a bubble team again but I rate their chances over the other bubble teams. The Flyers, Red Wings, and Blue Jackets are all vulnerable and teams like the Islanders and Capitals have significant problems (more significant than what the Devils are dealing with imo).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 31, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
The pens and probably the rags will be in the top three of the met next year, I guess the rest is a toss up, so maybe the devils snag that third spot

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
martin brodeur had a better win/loss record last year than cory schneider :eng101:

brodeur is old and sucks now but they're being terrible in 5 on 5 goal scoring and schneider sucking in shootouts were bigger factors than brodeur being terrible in them missing the playoffs last year

they're going to have another season where they give up no shots and are a top 5 corsi team and yet struggle to score and will finish somewhere between 6th and 10th in the division. if they make the playoffs though i could see them puck possessing and goaltending their way through a couple rounds.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Aphrodite posted:

That's backwards.

The Devils had really bad shooting percentages in real hockey games. It's not surprising they were also bad in shootouts. Shooting is a big part of the shootout. It's about 5/8ths of it by my count.

Saying "if not for the shootout losses" is kind of like saying "if not for this thing they're not good at...". It may be a true statement but it doesn't really mean a whole lot. I really don't think they had 5 shootout wins in them that came down to luck.

no, there were 13 shootouts that came down to luck

winning shootouts is not a repeatable skill

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

hifi posted:

I probably shouldn't have wrote that Schneider couldn't drag them to the playoffs but what I meant is that he's not going to help when they score literally zero goals in a game.

They need to find 10-15 more goals. Cammalleri/Havlat should provide that pretty easily - the problem is dropoff from Jagr/Elias. Their GA is almost certainly going to drop as well with 70 games of Schneider and it was already minuscule.

They're definitely not a guarantee but they're a solid bet.

e: I do wish they had a better backup. Clemmer is terrible, and if Kinkaid wins out (he better) they're going with a rookie. Woulda been nice to have someone like Greiss maybe - some kind of guarantee. Schneider is seriously gonna play 70 easy this year if he stays healthy.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 31, 2014

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Austrian mook posted:

Funfact: The only goalies with a higher save % than Cory Schneider over the last 4 years are... none of them!

My meltdown will come, someday.

E: NJ made their offense better, and they still have the best defense and likely one of the best goalies in the NHL. I'd put money on them making the playoffs.

Show your work

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Dirty Burger posted:

Show your work

They allowed less shots on goal 5 v 5 than any other team.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_team_statistics.php?s=20&f1=2013_s&c=0+1+2+3+4+13+14+15+16+17+18+19+20+21+22

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

They also took among the fewest shots in the league.

They're a strange team. They play extremely low event games.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

And 10th in GA/60...

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ginette Reno posted:

one the other side of the spectrum, let's look at the Ottawa Senators!

33.8 shots against on average, and 33.2 for! That's good for 2nd (lol Toronto) and 1st in the NHL respectively.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

hifi posted:

And 10th in GA/60...

Haha, yeah Martin Brodeur isn't very good

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

As an islander fan I feel no divisional rivalry hatred toward the Devils, I just hate them solely for this reason instead

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Actually what is even with those stats? The raw GA 5v5 don't match NHL.com and the SV% 5v5 doesn't match extraskater

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Gellinas looked kinda bad in games I saw him in last year...helluva shot and good offensive instincts but tons of mistakes

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Devils also averaged like one goal for per game less when Schneider played. Clearly his lack of veteran poise and Brodeur-level puckhandling skills ruined the Devils' offense.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

eXXon posted:

The Devils also averaged like one goal for per game less when Schneider played. Clearly his lack of veteran poise and Brodeur-level puckhandling skills ruined the Devils' offense.

Marty's puck moving skills were integral to the Devils offense

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

We already had this discussion in this thread and my consensus is making excuses about a .925 goalie entering his prime is a luxury. Anybody who thinks Schneider isn't awesome is delusional to me. Put it this way, NJ doesn't have to worry about its goaltending next year.

While I agree Schneider is a very good goalie, its dumb to just assume hes going to put up a .925 probably playing the majority of the season. His entire pedigree (whilch is less than 100 games coming to New Jersey) is based on being Luongos backup playing on a team that usually cruised to a playoff spot 1st in their bad division. His career high was 33 games before NJ, and his save percentage dipped a bit when he played his 46 games there. Its unreasonable to expect it to have a large increase when he takes on more games beyond that

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's gonna take young dudes stepping up a ton for the Devils to make the playoffs. I honestly believe the core is too old, and I'm curious to see what the plan is when one or two of them are injured or retire early.

As for Schneider, I think he's a .910-.915 goalie at heart if you give him a full season. The thing is that it was a literal loving steal from Vancouver to get him when we knew Brodeur was on the out, so all is peachy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fits posted:

While I agree Schneider is a very good goalie, its dumb to just assume hes going to put up a .925 probably playing the majority of the season. His entire pedigree (whilch is less than 100 games coming to New Jersey) is based on being Luongos backup playing on a team that usually cruised to a playoff spot 1st in their bad division. His career high was 33 games before NJ, and his save percentage dipped a bit when he played his 46 games there. Its unreasonable to expect it to have a large increase when he takes on more games beyond that

During his time as a Canucks he was noticeably better than Roberto Luongo, and Roberto Luongo is one of the best goaltenders in the world. He was named the Canuck's starter for a reason.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ThinkTank posted:

During his time as a Canucks he was noticeably better than Roberto Luongo, and Roberto Luongo is one of the best goaltenders in the world. He was named the Canuck's starter for a reason.

John Tortorella was named the Canucks head coach for a reason.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

It's gonna take young dudes stepping up a ton for the Devils to make the playoffs. I honestly believe the core is too old, and I'm curious to see what the plan is when one or two of them are injured or retire early.

As for Schneider, I think he's a .910-.915 goalie at heart if you give him a full season. The thing is that it was a literal loving steal from Vancouver to get him when we knew Brodeur was on the out, so all is peachy.

Hahaha guys Schneider playing 20 more games per season in his prime means that he's going to drop down to being a well below-average goalie. .910? Have you been watching him? He hasn't not played starter games because he isn't capable, it's because he's always had a veteran fan favorite blocking him. He was dying to play more this past year, the workload is totally manageable for him. Even if he drops off a little from workload he is a .920 goalie. When we talked about this before it was mentioned people were saying Rask wouldn't be able to handle more games either.

Schneider is a Vezina caliber goalie dude.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

John Tortorella was named the Canucks head coach for a reason.

That's not the same at all. Schneider outplayed one of the top-5 goaltenders on earth (at the time). Luongo wasn't playing poorly either, Schneider was just that much better. He's probably the third best goaltender on earth in my opinion, and the only thing that's stopping other people calling him that is the 'hasn't been a full time starter' thing yet. I fully expect him to play 65-70 games this year and still post a .920 and everyone will act like they always said he was a star.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The Devils are a bubble team if they get a better performance in goal and bubble teams have a shot in the East. That's hard to argue, I think.

Starsfan posted:

Not so fast. They just changed their minds and the rules mid stream, as the veto powers evolved from forcing a re-vote to just flat out granting a player a bye over the opponent, in the face of the first vote and the now pointless re-vote which Benn also won.

I mean the only reason Benn won was because as you mentioned he is Canadian, so once again (and as per usual) the voting public gets it wrong, but it's kind of funny to see that them twist the results around like this in a meaningless poll.

This is so stupid. That's what they did originally. There was no reason for this to be a story at all but they can't stop loving with it. Well, even now calling it a story is a stretch, but still. Idiotic.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 31, 2014

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Jesus christ there's not even a goalie controversy in Vancouver anymore and you guys are STILL TALKING ABOUT IT

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Jesus christ there's not even a goalie controversy in Vancouver anymore and you guys are STILL TALKING ABOUT IT

Miller and Lack, the saga never ends.

As the final super massive black holes begin to die off and the universe returns to a state of near zero entropy, the last sound heard before all energy is gone from the cosmos will be "maybe the Canucks should run with their backup for a few games and see what happens."

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 31, 2014

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Detroit filled out its coaching staff yesterday. Jim Hiller joins Granato as the second assistant coach. Hiller is running the offense/PP; Granato is running the defense/PK. The Wings also added a video coach: Andrew Brewer, some young dude Hockey Canada's program. Hiller is apparently a big-time analytics guy, which fits into both Babcock and Holland saying all summer that they wanted to better incorporate analytics into the franchise evaluation.

Detroit lost a ridiculous amount of personnel in the last couple of years. The new hires sound good on paper, though. Now if only they can get around to signing Cleary and Quincey to extensi-- wait, they did? Detroit's back, baby.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
There's two things I admire about the NJ Devils:

1.) Not counting not giving Marty the boot a long time ago, they are a relatively well-run team that handles their (on ice, anyway :laugh:) assets pretty well.

2.) They continually make the Rangers look like Offensive Powerhouses season-in, season-out.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I am honestly really interested in how the Devils do next season. Obviously I hope they crash, burn, and fold, but I could really see their season going anywhere from mid/low playoff seed to lottery team. There are just so many unanswered questions, as all the, uh, discussion here readily shows

mennoknight posted:

this is true and owns, though

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

mennoknight posted:

I wish I could make this the thread title.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Penguins came to terms with Spaling. He got a hot dog and a hamburger and an ice cream. He was not offered a Fresca.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Rich Radbards posted:

Penguins came to terms with Spaling. He got a hot dog and a hamburger and an ice cream. He was not offered a Fresca.

Gets two slices of pizza, but they've been sitting out for a while now

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
To Rutherford's credit, the Penguins bottom six does look better - but he was still really dumb not to resign Gibbons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It always amuses me when people use "resign" in the context of giving a player a new contract. :v:

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002
Talking about the New Jersey Devils is almost as boring as watching them play hockey. We need some more Subban drama, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Grimby posted:

Talking about the New Jersey Devils is almost as boring as watching them play hockey. We need some more Subban drama, or something.

There's not even anything interesting on reddit worth stealing links from.

• Locked thread