Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ambaire posted:

What's the secret to getting coal/lignite to generate though? The profile I've been using is all forest so I tried adding swamps but that didn't help any. I know it only generates in sedimentary rock, but how do you get it? Do you need an ocean? I found the perfect volcano river embark, but without coal, it's useless for me.

Let me drop some science bombs:

Urist Da Vinci posted:

I recently did some research and statistics-gathering (with DFHack) on what causes sedimentary layers in DF, and made some interesting discoveries:

world.world_data.geo_biomes[].unk1 is an "enum" for the type of layers as follows:
code:
0 NORMAL
1 VOLCANIC
2 DEEP OCEAN
3 DEEP OCEAN VOLCANIC
4 SHALLOW OCEAN
5 SHALLOW OCEAN VOLCANIC
6 SAND DESERT
7 SAND DESERT VOLCANIC
- NORMAL geo-biomes are the default for land areas. You get several random soil layers. This is followed by a sedimentary (~80% chance), metamorphic (~10%), or intrusive (~10%) layer. The remaining layers below are metamorphic (~50%), or intrusive (~50%), except that the bottom-most layer above the magma sea is always intrusive.

- VOLCANIC geo-biomes are like normal, except that the first stone layer under the soil is always extrusive, and the random subsurface layers are ~33% each of extrusive, intrusive, and metamorphic. Volcanic geo-biomes occur when the volcanism of the biome is over 90 on a scale from 0-100.

- DEEP OCEAN geo-biomes have a few layers from the ocean soils subset, then a layer of a deep ocean sedimentary (or extrusive if volcanic), then random layers as per normal (or volcanic). Deep ocean geo-biomes occur in oceans of elevation 0-49.

- SHALLOW OCEAN geo-biomes have a single sand layer, then a layer of a shallow ocean sedimentary (or extrusive if volcanic), then random layers as per normal (or volcanic). Shallow ocean geo-biomes occur in oceans of elevation 50-99.

- SAND DESERT geo-biomes are rare, as they only occur in sand desert biomes. They are like normal (or volcanic) biomes, except that there is always a single layer of a sand instead of several soil layers.

As far as I can tell, the chance of getting a particular layer stone is otherwise purely random. There does not appear to be any evidence of other logic/code which determines the type of layer stone in a biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 31, 2014

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

scamtank posted:

Dwarven science

This is kind of surprising to me. I knew that sedimentary layers didn't coincide with volcanoes very often, but I always thought that you went to sites with rivers (the larger, the better) for the best chance at sedimentary layers. 80% chance at sedimentary anywhere but volcanic layers seems a lot higher than I remember it being.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here is a save where there is a demon vault right next to a starting city. You'll want to start as a human of Iroanthath and head east, right after the river. The creatures inside are made of ash so they die in one hit to pretty much anything. I was killed by the big beast at the bottom, and it happened so fast that I couldn't find out if it was also made of ash. Good luck!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ambaire posted:

What's the secret to getting coal/lignite to generate though? The profile I've been using is all forest so I tried adding swamps but that didn't help any. I know it only generates in sedimentary rock, but how do you get it? Do you need an ocean? I found the perfect volcano river embark, but without coal, it's useless for me.

You don't need coal for steel and you can generally find at least a few layers of marble almost anywhere.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

GorfZaplen posted:

Here is a save where there is a demon vault right next to a starting city. You'll want to start as a human of Iroanthath and head east, right after the river. The creatures inside are made of ash so they die in one hit to pretty much anything. I was killed by the big beast at the bottom, and it happened so fast that I couldn't find out if it was also made of ash. Good luck!

I found a vault by sheer luck when wandering the wilds. The genned creatures inside were made of steam, but some got a few lucky hits on me and took my head off. I kept genning adventurers and throwing myself into the grinder, making my way to the depths where I found... just a slab and no demon to fight. It was very disappointing!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i thought vaults were at the bottom of goblin cities?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Take that slab go to the Goblin civ that houses that particular demon. The slab has some... interesting uses if you can find the demon.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Verviticus posted:

i thought vaults were at the bottom of goblin cities?

The spires are, not the vaults.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know if it's a bug or if it's by design, but the slab isn't at the bottom of the vault. :negative: So many lives, wasted. So much death and suffering.

I wonder if the slab disappears if you fail to get it your first time going through.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Do you guys know how to mitigate unhappiness due to long patrol duty? I've got all my squads training on alternating months, so they have one month on and one month off. Should I scale back to two months off, one month on?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It sounds like maybe your Ubuntu installation is missing a QT library, or can't find it?

Maybe you could try running something like sudo apt-get install libqt5 or sudo apt-get install libqt5widgets5 or something to try to install the library?

Or maybe the library is there, but its location isn't in the default library search path?

I'm kind of pulling this out of my rear end here, I've never used Ubuntu but I've used several other Linux distros and seen similar errors before.

Try running:

code:
sudo apt-get install qtchooser qtbase5-dev qtbase5-dev-tools qtscript5-dev qt5-qmake libqt5script5 libqt5scripttools5 libqxt-core0 libqxt-gui0
This is from the github page and are the packages needed to compile DT from source. Worked for me on Ubuntu 14.04

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

This is delightfully succinct and should really go in the OP.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is delightfully succinct and should really go in the OP.

It is in the OP.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

my dad posted:

It is in the OP.

So it is. I don't remember seeing it there last I looked, but that's probably just this piece of poo poo phone not loading images.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

scamtank posted:

Let me drop some science bombs:

Ahhh, that would explain it. I have the volcanism of my world at 100-100... I had no idea that would prevent all sedimentary layers from spawning. Thanks!

Edit: And.. that fixed it. I changed the volcanism to 80-100, had to drop the number of volcanoes to 100 to gen a world, embarked, and my civ has coal now.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 31, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Watch out for necromancers guys, because reanimated hair seems to be indestructible. 85 pages of combat logs with my Axe Lord and every attack simply passed through it until finally it caught him with a push to the throat that killed him.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Well, goons, I think I've lucked out with the absolute loving perfect volcano embark ever... it's 3 wide, 4 high, on a river bank with your wagon literally 3 blocks from the volcano. The only downside is that I still can't figure out how to get goblins to spawn, so it's quite peaceful besides the wildlife.

I didn't get the seed, sadly, but I uploaded the save to mediafire and here's the link. Enjoy!

Edit: Quite hazardous wildlife, apparently. I hope I don't get sieged by hippos. :ohdear:

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 31, 2014

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

dragon_pamcake posted:

I'll field this one because I have been playing with this world a LOT.

1) Lower the mineral scarcity to >1000. The default setting of 2500 means there is no iron ANYWHERE, if that's what it means when you can't buy hematite or iron bars at embark.

2) You can boost the number of volcanoes without losing the river one. I genned the same world with five.

3)There are no forests on that map, so there will NEVER be elves.

4) Without DFhack I can't tell if there's iron on the map. There is an aquifer practically right next to the volcano 2 levels below the lava surface on the east side of the map. Plenty of Galena though.

Change the following tokens in entity_default for elves:

[START_BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SWAMP:3]

And then regen the map. That SHOULD give you elves but it might change enough of the map that the specific volcano/river site might not be there.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Well, goons, I think I've lucked out with the absolute loving perfect volcano embark ever... it's 3 wide, 4 high, on a river bank with your wagon literally 3 blocks from the volcano. The only downside is that I still can't figure out how to get goblins to spawn, so it's quite peaceful besides the wildlife.

I didn't get the seed, sadly, but I uploaded the save to mediafire and here's the link. Enjoy!

Start the game in legends mode and press P, I believe. That should give you the world parameters + seed. Probably.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
Man, Birdmen are assholes. I embarked on a terrifying volcano that also had a non-savage non-evil part to it. The non evil part spawned a bunch of wren men and women who began dive bombing the ground like it insulted their mothers. They pulped their heads and wings and the bastards had the audacity to crash land on the evil part of the map. Flying undead birdmen. :iit:

Luckily I'd walled my dwarves in, but the caravan and migrants are so screwed when they arrive.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Angry Diplomat posted:

So it is. I don't remember seeing it there last I looked, but that's probably just this piece of poo poo phone not loading images.

No, I just quietly pluck all the good ones in there. Also, a goodlog:

Toady One posted:

I fixed many of the stack problems today (there's still a few I'll probably do tomorrow). I also fixed some hidden-area announcement problems.
  • shell/etc. crafts no longer use up the entire stack
  • decorations with bone/etc. no longer use up the entire stack
  • bone greaves can use a single large stack now
  • automated jobs (rendering/butchery/etc.) no longer use every workshop at once
  • rendering a stack of fat now yields tallow stacks rather than several individual items
  • lye stacks now produce the correct amount of potash
  • hidden items no longer show up in the room list or lever menus
  • hidden underground births are no longer announced
  • military item assignment no longer shows hidden items
  • item thefts of hidden underground items are no longer announced

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

TheCIASentMe posted:

Change the following tokens in entity_default for elves:

[START_BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SWAMP:3]

And then regen the map. That SHOULD give you elves but it might change enough of the map that the specific volcano/river site might not be there.

This works and the volcano's fine. I think the geography's more resistant to change than it has been in past versions?

EDIT: Adding other volcanoes does gently caress up the local geography. It's no longer right next to a river. :saddowns:

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 31, 2014

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Whats the best tileset?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Faithless posted:

Whats the best tileset?

Spacefox.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dear mayor Lorbam Munèstnish,

Your recent demand for a "frosty metal bed" in your bedroom may not be possible to fulfill. I would like to lead your attention to two facts. First of all, our small outpost is not currently in a position to obtain divine metals, which may as well only be fairy tales. Second, we have no means to build beds from metals, usually. Only dwarves caught by moods have been known to ever produce beds from materials other than wood, and it would be unwise to depend on chance to produce such a unique bed.

On these grounds, I would like you to reconsider your demand.

-Your overseer

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

nielsm posted:

Your recent demand for a "frosty metal bed" in your bedroom may not be possible to fulfill. I would like to lead your attention to two facts. First of all, our small outpost is not currently in a position to obtain divine metals, which may as well only be fairy tales. Second, we have no means to build beds from metals, usually. Only dwarves caught by moods have been known to ever produce beds from materials other than wood, and it would be unwise to depend on chance to produce such a unique bed.

-Your overseer

Dear Overseer,

Six strikes with a hammer.

-Mayor Lobram Munèstnish

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

nielsm posted:

-Your overseer

Dear mayor,

Against all odds, we have managed to construct the item you demanded. To obtain that which is rightfully yours, I merely request that you pull the lever found in the empty room at basement level 44.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Burn the rich

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Move over Evil Ghoul, there is a new MegaFucker in town:

Also, I noticed that one of my dwarfs has a preference for "liquid darkness." Does anybody happen to know what that is?

Mu. fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 31, 2014

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Mu. posted:

Also, I noticed that one of my dwarfs has a preference for "liquid darkness." Does anybody happen to know what that is?

A Dorf that likes his Guinness.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Why are they always called Bronze Colossus if they can be made of slade? Can't it just be renamed to a Colossus?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Met posted:

Why are they always called Bronze Colossus if they can be made of slade? Can't it just be renamed to a Colossus?

Dude modded them in to replace Bronze Colossi and didn't bother changing the name.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Mu. posted:

It's one of the new divine metals. Currently, dwarves can have them as a preference, but according to the devlog, that will be fixed for next version.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Is it possible to get the divine metals into fort mode?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

A human heart posted:

Is it possible to get the divine metals into fort mode?

By means of adventurer migrants, yes.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Is there any point to designating a dormitory? I usually just let my roomless dwarves sleep in the spare hospital beds. Does it get rid of the "slept without a proper room" thought, but not give a "slept in own bedroom" thought?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

my dad posted:

By means of adventurer migrants, yes.
Or you could be a bit hacky and use the embarkanywhere tool on a vault. Then just collapse the tower onto all the guards and loot the rest.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Anyone know what causes issues with the game not saving? For about two in game years now, exiting DF using "Save Game" goes through the saving motions but doesn't actually save anything. I've had to rely on autosaves for awhile now and it's becoming obnoxious. This isn't the first fort I've had do this, but only this one has done it consistently.

I'm still using 0.34.11 :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

Is there any point to designating a dormitory?

Not exploiting bugs, you big cheat.