Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Man, I've been so busy with work and missed so much that the game is twice as full of broken content but now basically empty it seems. I'm going to try to play a bit for fun and to see what is happening but from the sounds of it this game is a walking ghost.

GoonTangClan have any new games that we have flocked over to? I miss the joy of a broken, occasionally brilliant, but ultimately fallen off the back of a truck game.

You can hit up the World of Warcraft version of wushu (which also has open pvp zones) in the Swordsman Online thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm taking a break from MMOs until I get under 200 pounds, only got 36 more pounds to go!

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Man, I've been so busy with work and missed so much that the game is twice as full of broken content but now basically empty it seems. I'm going to try to play a bit for fun and to see what is happening but from the sounds of it this game is a walking ghost.

GoonTangClan have any new games that we have flocked over to? I miss the joy of a broken, occasionally brilliant, but ultimately fallen off the back of a truck game.

We're all in Swordsman and waiting for Archeage.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Hey buddy join us here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3654319&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti18

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Swordsman Online is a better kung fu mmo than Age of Wushu.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

randombattle posted:

Swordsman Online is a better kung fu mmo than Age of Wushu.

Look, there nobody left to recruit here. Those who did not like AOW or where sitting on the fence are now long gone and those who stayed are locked in an abusive relationship with the game, hoping against all hope that the game will "change for real this time" and love us again someday.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

aleksendr posted:

Look, there nobody left to recruit here. Those who did not like AOW or where sitting on the fence are now long gone and those who stayed are locked in an abusive relationship with the game, hoping against all hope that the game will "change for real this time" and love us again someday.

How about that moonlight blade then? Sure looks good.

PassiveSentence
Jun 2, 2013
Who wants to take a wild guess on the rates of gold vs jade powder and 30day vs perm rabbit from the boxes? :kiddo:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

PassiveSentence posted:

Who wants to take a wild guess on the rates of gold vs jade powder and 30day vs perm rabbit from the boxes? :kiddo:

My alt got one of the very very few jade powders from the boxes. I've not met a single person yet who got a permanent bunny.

New skill set is really really drat good for 1v1 control (assuming your ping is decent, so of course all the viets have already given up on the set after plopping $30 on it but I bought it for a bit over 1 ding because gently caress giving snail money forever).

You have 2 charges which have long enough animations that you can do the 6 CD, 10 CD, 6 CD combo and if you use one of the charges before the other it increases your charging speed which can be really drat nice (especially in arenas/etc where there's no autoparry). The feint is a targeted AoE which can be used to dash up to 20 meters to feint so you can jump in the air and then suddenly dash down and feint them (this is hilarious).

The feint knocks people down as well as another skill that's ranged and knocks them up into the air (if they're not parrying, of course). You then use the "spam" on them on the ground as it has a 10 second cooldown but if you land it on them while they're not parrying you can use it twice more. Second hit stuns for 2 seconds, third hit sends them flying. There's also a poke move that puts a debuff on the opponent and you get yellow armor and it also seems to be ranged (it's a minor debuff, at least at level 1; paralyzed (not stunned) for 2 seconds, -10% movespeed, and seems to reduce flying skill distance a bit, which is about the only good part -- it also buffs the user +10% movespeed, small increase in flying skill distance and increases charge range to 10 meters all buffs last 5 seconds).

The rage doesn't do a whole lot of damage and it's an AoE yellow armor 7 hit rage but it seems that it stuns either people trying to hit you or people you're hitting with it (the text is unclear and I've personally not used it a lot in 1v1's since it's mostly supplemental damage that really isn't worth using).

Also, sky ladder is going to be hilarious. While ancient sets are allowed, you only get to pick 3 sets to take with you. I'm quite certain that most everyone will take Taiji Sword just to keep flying horse and if people take ancient tai chi with them they're heavily gimping themselves into having only a single good DPS set (probably 9 palaces these days). Also note that this makes sets with active parries amazing since nobody is going to take Boundless just for Turn Weapon nor will they take Departed Stings if they're not an Emei just for Far & Removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOaGr52tKAQ
This is a video of a guy who mostly has good ping (he has lag spikes but that's mostly on the server side because snailgameschinaedition) that uses Headbutts, Holy Wind Dagger and Taiji Sword (even uses the in-air knockdown at one point, it was a good play) destroying idiot pay2wins who bring ancient sets in.

Natalie_Luna
Jun 18, 2013

Doesnt really gimp dogebeating though if you have that and fh what else would you even want .
-.-

On another note i get to spent a few hours at home this weekend yay

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Natalie_Luna posted:

Doesnt really gimp dogebeating though if you have that and fh what else would you even want .
-.-

On another note i get to spent a few hours at home this weekend yay

Dogbeating can be pretty easily countered if they don't lead with the knockup since you can active parry counter and beat their face in. BackKiu does that very often as do other terrorists since their ping is so bad that dodging their knockup is hilariously easy.

Seriously best thing will be the lack of autoparry which means infinite combos will be much easier for me to pull off (as much as I hate dueling that is one of my favorite parts). I'm sure I'll end up not caring about the ladder because I don't have full jade but it should be a bit fun for a while.

Natalie_Luna
Jun 18, 2013

Any news on the droprate for ancient frags in there? Or point ratio

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Natalie_Luna posted:

Any news on the droprate for ancient frags in there? Or point ratio

Absolutely nothing yet from Snail. 9yin might have info but I tire of reading google translated Chinese.

First day is the 6th from what I read on their site so hopefully they have more info up by then. Also they've yet to autocomplete the event (I guess they will this evening) that needs 1000 players to complete and as of this morning we had 260 or so and that includes alts. :cripes:

Natalie_Luna
Jun 18, 2013

Lol 260 ppl .. No we dont need merges (c) cm earthquake

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Natalie_Luna posted:

Lol 260 ppl .. No we dont need merges (c) cm earthquake

I hate bringing out my horsebeating staff but the game is dead. And you all should join us on Swordsman.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Hy_C posted:

I hate bringing out my horsebeating staff but the game is dead. And you all should join us on Swordsman.

I don't like world of warcraft clones.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I did not realize doing quests and having some pve content makes a game a world of warcraft clone.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Hy_C posted:

I did not realize doing quests and having some pve content makes a game a world of warcraft clone.

If Haquertal wants to play his single player game, that's his right Hy_C. World of warcraft clones with more than 250 characters on a server aren't for everybody.

Natalie_Luna
Jun 18, 2013

Swordmans art style and combat just doesn't compare to wushu although i dont hold any hope for it anymore either...

On the other hand im learning to read Chinese while im stuck in the hospital and its not as hard as i thought so ill propably be playing moonlight blade with some huatahs hue

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Anal Papist posted:

If Haquertal wants to play his single player game, that's his right Hy_C. World of warcraft clones with more than 250 characters on a server aren't for everybody.

Chinagame is a chatroom with kung fu these days, everyone knows this.

I've actually been playing Kerbals and games on my ps3 and don't have the time these days to grind quests/bot my way up in a new game v:shobon:v

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Natalie_Luna posted:

Swordmans art style and combat just doesn't compare to wushu although i dont hold any hope for it anymore either...

On the other hand im learning to read Chinese while im stuck in the hospital and its not as hard as i thought so ill propably be playing moonlight blade with some huatahs hue

I agree, terrible textures and combat that is broken through a single AHK script can not compare to Swordsman's combat which includes the ability to cancel animations as a feature, an arena system where gear doesn't matter, and the lack of pay to win ancient sets.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Haquer posted:

Chinagame is a chatroom with kung fu these days, everyone knows this.

You would love swordsman then its just like twitter only 40 characters per tweet, its like hardcore twitter.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Anal Papist posted:

You would love swordsman then its just like twitter only 40 characters per tweet, its like hardcore twitter.

Ahaha somehow that's worse than wushu :negative:

I've thought about checking it out when wushu dies but it looks like goons will have moved onto ArchAge or the next New And Shiny Game Of The Season by then so welp.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Wushu died awhile ago. You are just loving a corpse now.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I tried swordsman to level 30; felt like I was on a leash the whole time. Was giving me too many Everquest flashbacks.

So how overpowered is the new cash shop dagger set?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Third World Reggin posted:

Wushu died awhile ago. You are just loving a corpse now.

Probably, but offering sloppy seconds with your new, tarted up robot brained bimbo girlfriend might not help in giving us closure.

Its like going to a wake bringing strippers for the widow.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

aleksendr posted:

I like the cut of your jib.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

aleksendr posted:

Probably, but offering sloppy seconds with your new, tarted up robot brained bimbo girlfriend might not help in giving us closure.

aleksendr posted:

School costumes (Girls) :

Most sensible - Splendor
Most sexy - S&M
Most knickers showing - Zephyr
Best hats - 5Venoms

PassiveSentence
Jun 2, 2013
Most sensible - Scholars
Most sexy -
Most knickers showing - WV
Best hats - Beggar

Does Swordsman have streamers who don't stream with delay and run carts :colbert:

PassiveSentence fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 2, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Probably but the carts are different. They run 1 cart a day for mercenaries and bandits run 3 cart hijacks a day. These involve npcs.

If you make them into pvp events you can remove people from the merc cart for 1 minute and make them fail their daily.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Anal Papist posted:

Silly stuff

Exactly. I tried Swordsman online and i really hoped to like it but after leveling every school to 20 and half of them to 40 i realized the "pick a single class, forever" feature was the deal killer for me. I had more fun watching the 2013 TV drama of the book than playing it.

The game has many qualities and is objectively more polished than AoW, but i got into AoW on the feature that it was a skill based character progression instead of class based. That turned out to be a half-truth, but it was good enough to stay for a while.

In the grand scheme of things, our preference for either game and its future are meaningless, as for every one of us there is 10k Chinese players throwing money at either game. The games will go on the way the Chinese market decide and we can only hope the resulting competition will someday yield a better quality of crumbs for us to enjoy.

Thankfully Archeage is fun so far and catgirls aside, Trion seem to understand why the west find the game interesting.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 2, 2014

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So, the expansion events just finished. Anyone figure out how to make the tier 6 gear?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I'm going through right now. You need a c5 or powder, the same binding agent as for c4 or c5, and an additional design item. These design items are bought from someone outside the yanmen entrance in Yanjing. Each design costs one busted item, which drop in instances (probably yanmen hard or the new line (which have really high level reqs btw)) or can be bought from a guy in suzhou for 200/400 pure yang swords.

Edit: pure yang exchange is 200/400 for weapons, 120/240 for armor, 90/180 for jewelry

The new set effects (gold)
Clothes:
Bright Clothing - being attacked may significantly reduce your opponent's hit ratio and evasion ratios (improved c5)
Stinger Jacket - being attacked may skill disable opponent (improved c5?)
Insect Poison Jacket - opponent gets stacks, 5 stacks paralyzes them (same as c5?)
Bone Brittling Poisonous Garment - Your attacker is poisoned, with his attack power greatly reduced.
Pure Gold Returns the Spirit - after being attacked, healing by treasure may be triggered, with healing effects being best for those with greater Energy-based skills.

Weapons:

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 3, 2014

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It looks like that npc in the suzhou mortuary now gives out a quest for an item that lets you convert five aggregate pages into pure yang swords.

Can class 6 gold and jade stuff be rerolled like usual?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Haquer posted:

Ahaha somehow that's worse than wushu :negative:

I've thought about checking it out when wushu dies but it looks like goons will have moved onto ArchAge or the next New And Shiny Game Of The Season by then so welp.

Wushu has been dead for a while. Membership in NT got so low that they started recruiting pubbies. It's just soulless and the fact that it's busted and there are ridiculous cash shop sets doesn't make it any better.

I thought about checking out swordsman myself, but AA is the only thing on my radar now.

ArcheAge will be flavor of the year I think.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I don't even know why I liked age of wushu, and I played it for almost a year and a half and almost every mmo I've played I've quit before the first month was up.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Maybe it was the mystique of a half broken game where no one really knew how to get half of the stuff, and there really were secrets to the game because no one understood chinagame speak. The PvP was actually pretty well-designed for a while before the insane cash shop stuff became more and more prevalent.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, the game was almost balanced, back when everyone's gear sucked and most everyone was using the basic three school sets and inners. It feels like the base game was made by different people than the designers currently in charge, or at least management made them crank up the pay2win factor once they saw how much money the game was pulling in.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I blame travel skills for being cool and fun.

I miss them in WildStar. Which is also dying now, because the developers are apparently inspired by Snail Games so far as I can tell.

Defined attack sets were cool, too. I like not having to deal with a billion loving buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Zodack posted:

Wushu has been dead for a while. Membership in NT got so low that they started recruiting pubbies. It's just soulless and the fact that it's busted and there are ridiculous cash shop sets doesn't make it any better.

I thought about checking out swordsman myself, but AA is the only thing on my radar now.

ArcheAge will be flavor of the year I think.

Swordsman's alright. The fighting's a lot more fluid and not very ping-based and as far as we can tell there won't ever be any real p2w. The rest of the game kind of sucks but it's less lovely than most MMOs, I guess.