Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fina posted:

I only ever bought $5 for 40 Red Beans and the email gave me 10 back. Is it based on how many you've bought or how many you've spent?
I looked at my purchase history and calculated how much money I've spent on Firefall and how many red beans I acquired, and I couldn't come up with anything that correlates to your data. Your guess is as good as mine on how it was calculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
160 Red beans, somehow.
Also, the password reset e-mail goes to spam, just in case anyone has tried it.

I tried the game for a bit earlier this week, and it was kind of roughshod still, I miss the old style. I logged on a bit later, and I was kicked from Goons for some reason?

Oh well.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Post poste posted:

160 Red beans, somehow.
Also, the password reset e-mail goes to spam, just in case anyone has tried it.

I tried the game for a bit earlier this week, and it was kind of roughshod still, I miss the old style. I logged on a bit later, and I was kicked from Goons for some reason?

Oh well.
There were some purges for inactives. I guess you weren't online enough for us to see/remember you were active. AllianceBot is now logging last known login times for the GOONS army so there shouldn't be any accidental purges in the future. It would be nice if R5 exposed this functionality to the army UI so we wouldn't have to work around it.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
So the vendor that sells level 40 modules for pilot tokens is a the kanaloa research station. accidentally stumbled upon him, and now my Raptor power rating is 990 something. :smug: now time to finish up the epics on my firecat.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

precedence posted:

So the vendor that sells level 40 modules for pilot tokens is a the kanaloa research station. accidentally stumbled upon him, and now my Raptor power rating is 990 something. :smug: now time to finish up the epics on my firecat.
I've been thinking about buying modules from him, but I know that within a week, purple modules will have flooded the marketplace and will be super cheap. I wonder if it has already happened.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Applied to Goon Squad 2. This game has robots, spaceships, and anime girls in bodysuits. How did I not play this game before?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
So around level 11 I'm starting to die a lot more as a recon. Is it about the same for all the classes or do some have an easier time of it?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Explain to me the difference between this and planetside

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

WYA posted:

PS2 is a shooter with a chat box, Firefall is a MMO with some shooting. It probably shares more in common with GW2 than PS2.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

WYA posted:

Haven't played Planetside, but isn't mostly if not all PvP? Firefall is primarily PvE, although it does have extensive open-world PvP as well.

Firefall is more "MMORPG with shooter combat" than "massively multiplayer shooter".

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So is there a way to like, not be in your underwear? It bothers the hell out of me when I play assault and your armour doesn't cover your body.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Insert name here posted:

So is there a way to like, not be in your underwear? It bothers the hell out of me when I play assault and your armour doesn't cover your body.

In a game where male characters do some stupid stomp diddy dance, while female characters dance like actual strippers, dancing in your yoga pants is just a way of life.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Insert name here posted:

Welcome to every single mmo character ever made since mankin transitioned from words and text to graphics.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

HotBobaloo posted:

So, I may be missing it, but is there no customization options when you create a character? I saw the option to choose male or female and callsign, then I just entered the tutorial, but I see other characters that look different. Is it random? Or am I just dumb and missing it?

They were smart enough to put the character customization fairly late in the tutorial. I was confused by it as well at first but after thinking about it, I'm glad they went this direction. Todays MMOs put you through a lengthy character creation process where you can cycle through endless customization options like being able to pick between 16.8 million different skin tones, eye colors, hair colors, hair styles, cheek bone height, nose shapes, butt size, package girth, nipple piercings, eye liner, and fedoras. You then make it into the actual world and spend the rest of your game time staring at the back of your head from so far away you can barely tell it's not square. It's not like people are going to get close enough to you to comment about picking eye shape number 112.

FF takes more of a "GET TO THE CHOPPAH! oh, btw, there's a New You over there with some stuff to change your randomly generated appearance if you can be bothered" approach. If character customization was a big priority they would probably make you sit through it at the start of the game like other games do. Once you look and see there's a whopping 16 hair styles, a dozen colors or so, and a handful of other tweaks, many of them costing beans, it's no wonder it's shoved off to the side. If that was your first experience with Firefall, you'd uninstall.

Avynte posted:

So based on earlier talk in the thread, are Bastions pretty much garbage when it comes to late game?

Mine's only level 11, so it's no big loss to start over with the Arsenal I've got sitting around, but I did rather enjoy the turret heavy style.

You won't be as powerful as any other frame for general combat but if all you want to do is poo poo out 10 turrets and collect loot while they go to town on anything near your thumper, there's no better choice. Maybe if they buff the health on the turrets it'll be useful for something else. I tried using it on the DT takeback event and was frustrated as hell. Still, there is no better thumper. Don't listen to all those Recluse pilots out there.

Insert name here posted:

Not until someone decides they want to resurrect the old Classy Engineers addon.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

xxEightxx posted:

Welcome to every single mmo character ever made since mankin transitioned from words and text to graphics.
I'll have you know that my characters in STO and TOR are probably more munitions than person by weight. :mad:

But thanks for the replies; I'll probably just go back to playing Dreadnought and fondle my sweet, sweet gat.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Downloaded this last night and gave it a whirl today after work. Was pretty wary at first, the textures were really muddy and I had no clue what was going on in the tutorial as I was like "isnt this supposed to be a third person game?" and it was what appeared to be me and dozen other new characters just firing at stairs as chosen ran down it, but after a few hours I'm really warming up to it. I've always liked games like Tabula Rasa and Global Agenda and this seems in that style. Art direction isn't quite my thing but at some point the textures seemed to actually appear and the game doesn't look so bad now.

I've only fiddled with the currency exchange a little which doesn't seem so bad, but what is to be expected of unlocking the other battleframes? Is it a pretty big resource sink or are they pretty easy to come across and all the beans stuff is for convenience/cosmetics?

edit: It seems pretty sandbox-y in the log in, grab a mission, run around shooting things and collect loot which I could really see getting into. I like that all the starter frames are available from the get go and there's not much penalty for trying different things out.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Applying in Goon2 as Xenni. Thanks

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

You won't be as powerful as any other frame for general combat but if all you want to do is poo poo out 10 turrets and collect loot while they go to town on anything near your thumper, there's no better choice. Maybe if they buff the health on the turrets it'll be useful for something else. I tried using it on the DT takeback event and was frustrated as hell. Still, there is no better thumper. Don't listen to all those Recluse pilots out there.

I pretty much agree with this, it's still good for thumping but only because thumping only shits bugs and the like at you, mostly small poo poo with no ranged attack and you can deal with those easily if you have deployable repulsor slotted and use the terrain to your advantage. You need pretty specific gear to be really effective though and most humanoid enemies will still gently caress up your day. It gets a bit better once you can actually field purples with purple modules but until then so if you can afford to buy it from other people or can craft it yourself you'll do okay-ish but I wouldn't recommend playing it as your main just now.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hm, thanks for the advice guys. I'll roll with my arsenal for the time being then as the big chosen invasions and random ares missions are my favorite parts of the game.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Berke Negri posted:

Art direction isn't quite my thing but at some point the textures seemed to actually appear and the game doesn't look so bad now.
If you stare at a low quality object, does it eventually load in a high quality texture? The game downloads high quality textures on-demand and that wasn't working for the past few days. I'm interested in knowing if they managed to fix it.

Berke Negri posted:

I've only fiddled with the currency exchange a little which doesn't seem so bad, but what is to be expected of unlocking the other battleframes? Is it a pretty big resource sink or are they pretty easy to come across and all the beans stuff is for convenience/cosmetics?
You can unlock battleframes using 10 pilot tokens (you get 10 for leveling a frame up to level 40), 100 red beans, or by buying an unlock off the marketplace using credits. You can convert 25 crystite into 1 credit. Last I remember, frame unlocks were going for about 8000 credits, which equals out to about 200,000 crystite.

You can also craft a silver lottery token and get really, really lucky with it.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

JonusRockweller posted:

It happens when your protection programs block RPC Calls and ports (Firefall's security relies around RPC calls and Hooks). You may have to disable it temporarily or what not. It's a real bitch to get working with NOD32 every micropatch. Any sort of process manager will lock itself once you try to kill the FirefallClient.exe, I'm sure Nalin has had a few good laughs at how many times I have to forcefully restart my computer because of it, sometimes it bugs out so hard it prevents the actual restart process from initiating so I have to cold boot it.

This post is utter nonsense.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Morglon posted:

I pretty much agree with this, it's still good for thumping but only because thumping only shits bugs and the like at you, mostly small poo poo with no ranged attack and you can deal with those easily if you have deployable repulsor slotted and use the terrain to your advantage. You need pretty specific gear to be really effective though and most humanoid enemies will still gently caress up your day. It gets a bit better once you can actually field purples with purple modules but until then so if you can afford to buy it from other people or can craft it yourself you'll do okay-ish but I wouldn't recommend playing it as your main just now.

Yeah. Deployable repulsor makes the class viable. As long as you're not fighting anything ranged with decent HP (chosen) or a charge (lots of stuff). There will prob be a survivability boost to multi-turret in 2-3 patches.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Berke Negri posted:

Art direction isn't quite my thing but at some point the textures seemed to actually appear and the game doesn't look so bad now.

Does the comic book outline thing bother you? It bothered me. You can uncheck it in the video options though. Huge difference.

Nalin posted:

If you stare at a low quality object, does it eventually load in a high quality texture? The game downloads high quality textures on-demand and that wasn't working for the past few days. I'm interested in knowing if they managed to fix it.

I went through on my laptop and changed the texture settings from low to high. I then looked at the books on the book cases in Trans Hub and was shocked to see that they actually had titles. Texture streaming does work, it's just not very fast.

Also, holy gently caress shadows make a huge difference in how the game looks. I've always turned them off in games to improve frame rates since I didn't care about some fuzzy black bit under my dudes. I didn't know how much of a difference it made in this game. Never going back.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Dont forget the godrays they make the sunset and sunrise beautifull.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
So I've decided I'm going to play as either a Raptor or Nighthawk. I just wanted to get some opinions on what they're like in early/late game and solo? any other info/tips that might be helpful info to help me decide which one I want to main would be appreciated, too. Thanks!

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
If you want a short summary of each, there's one in the OP. If you want a shitload more info, go to the garage, hit Battleframes, and hit More Info on each of the frames for a long description.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
So, does being a founder have any long term benefits? I thought I was getting lifetime bonuses but apparently they cut that to like 14 days at some point..?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You should still have 10% bonus xp

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Mr Scumbag posted:

So I've decided I'm going to play as either a Raptor or Nighthawk. I just wanted to get some opinions on what they're like in early/late game and solo? any other info/tips that might be helpful info to help me decide which one I want to main would be appreciated, too. Thanks!
Charge rifle headshots (Raptor) will never not be awesome. Especially those rare moments when you line up multiple with one shot.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Inimicul posted:

If you want a short summary of each, there's one in the OP. If you want a shitload more info, go to the garage, hit Battleframes, and hit More Info on each of the frames for a long description.

It can't be stressed enough that the Raptor fairs far better at lower levels with the Assault rifle vs the charge rifle. You can't take very many hits at those levels, and having your shot miss because the ai moves randomly and haphazardly sucks. Plus the assault rifle syncs better with resonating bolts and frost grenades, way more fun and versatile.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Mr Scumbag posted:

Loot drops do not favor snipers. Soloing does not favor snipers. Indoor missions do not favor snipers. Instances do not favor snipers. The R36 is a beast of a weapon. Raptors are much more popular because of powerfield, and how op it used to be.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Thor-Stryker posted:

It can't be stressed enough that the Raptor fairs far better at lower levels with the Assault rifle vs the charge rifle. You can't take very many hits at those levels, and having your shot miss because the ai moves randomly and haphazardly sucks. Plus the assault rifle syncs better with resonating bolts and frost grenades, way more fun and versatile.

That's why you use the R36. This ^ is also why you use the R36. It's a great rifle and I use it on all the Recon frames mostly because Firefall is the kind of game where a weapon you can easily use at any range will keep you alive.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

xxEightxx posted:

Loot drops do not favor snipers. Soloing does not favor snipers. Indoor missions do not favor snipers. Instances do not favor snipers. The R36 is a beast of a weapon. Raptors are much more popular because of powerfield, and how op it used to be.

Used to be? It's still pretty good.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Thronde posted:

Used to be? It's still pretty good.

It is still good not the massive ridiculousness it used to be, now Raptor is overpowered thanks to Overload. Overload is straight Bonkers.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Inimicul posted:

Also, holy gently caress shadows make a huge difference in how the game looks. I've always turned them off in games to improve frame rates since I didn't care about some fuzzy black bit under my dudes. I didn't know how much of a difference it made in this game. Never going back.
Enable particle and veg shadows too using the console making everything even better.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Would like to shoot some bugs again, applied to Goon Squad Two as Morgothi.

Just looking through my stuff - looks like I only ever played Recluse since that's the only non-level-1 frame... Despite owning all of the frames. Am I good to carry on playing Recluse?

Nymix fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 31, 2014

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Mr Scumbag posted:

The Nighthawk is actually really good at any range with the sniper rifle, don't listen to piss-jar pros and sniper-haters. Because you can deal full damage with it without scoping- or needing to wait for it to charge up after scoping, if you do- you can treat it like a slug gun. Use the agility of the frame to dance around enemies, in and out of cover, removing damage sources with the minimum amount of time spent aiming or otherwise exposed yourself. The smokescreen field is amazingly versatile- use it to safely interact with anything, including players that need revives- in the middle of a firefight.

Katsukai
Aug 27, 2013
So this happened today.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
So are they straight up bribing the playerbase? Are things really that hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
I would just like to state that I am open to bribes.

• Locked thread