Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

greatn posted:

In Tropical Freeze every level is a massive set piece with crazy interesting things happening several times a level. The original DKCR is completely bland by comparison, the only levels I could even remember specifically in that one are the ones where the Octopus chases you and the one where you have to avoid tidal waves.

Your opinion that the game is repetitive is quite frankly insane. Every environment is new, all music is new, they threw out every enemy and scenario from the first game and replaced them with new ones, there are two new characters, they replaced the blowing mechanic, every level is longer, and every level has some unique gimmick not seen in the other levels.

It's almost exactly like going from super Mario 3D Land to super Mario 3d world. The NSMB2 comparison could not be more wrong. The original DKCR, which is a great game, next to this one is just the blandest thing imaginable.

That's all well and good, but it all feels old. I can play them side by side and feel like both are old at this point. I'm sorry my opinion differs from the lot of you and I think the game is meh. Surely this can't be the first time you guys have hard fact-bound opinions on something and realize it's not universal? Hell, a guy just said he hated 3D World. Jump down his throat before you go to work instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Joke's on you, I'm already at work.

And his opinion at least makes sense.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

That's all well and good, but it all feels old. I can play them side by side and feel like both are old at this point. I'm sorry my opinion differs from the lot of you and I think the game is meh. Surely this can't be the first time you guys have hard fact-bound opinions on something and realize it's not universal? Hell, a guy just said he hated 3D World. Jump down his throat before you go to work instead.

noirstronaut posted:

This man is wrong, sadly. I advise you to listen to nothing he says.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm going to leave my house, get on the bus, and continue to think Tropical Freeze is meh while I do nothing at work just to spite you all.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Some bad opinions in the Wii U thread today

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The worst thing about Tropical Freeze was that they made an amazing Stickerbrush Symphony remix and it was only used in a short intro room and not the game's bramble level.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Tropical Freeze is pretty good imo also David Wise

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm still not entirely sure what Groupon is, but, they have Monster Hunter for $17!

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-monster-hunter-3-ultimate-for-wii-u-or-nintendo-3ds?pledge_id=10781095

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Speaking of cheap games, Amazon has Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut for like 15 bucks and change.

As someone who played the non-directors cut PC version, is it a good port and worth double dipping for, or should I stick with the PC version sitting on my Steam account?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nolgthorn posted:

Don't worry bowmore you've made the right choice there is lots of good stuff on this system.
I'm not! I pretty much getting it purely for Mario Kart and everything else is a bonus.

I never played any of the Wii games either so I still have Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and the rest of the good stuff on there to play.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Speaking of cheap games, Amazon has Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut for like 15 bucks and change.

As someone who played the non-directors cut PC version, is it a good port and worth double dipping for, or should I stick with the PC version sitting on my Steam account?

The changes made for all versions of the DC were sensible, and the Wii U port in particular is the best of the console ports and has a couple features that aren't available anywhere else that relate to the gamepad and Miiverse, but it'll probably cost you even less to just upgrade the PC version.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can you play Deus Ex Revolution as a pacifist?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

Can you play Deus Ex Revolution as a pacifist?

I think that's pretty much how you're supposed to play it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bowmore posted:

I'm not! I pretty much getting it purely for Mario Kart and everything else is a bonus.

I never played any of the Wii games either so I still have Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and the rest of the good stuff on there to play.

same, I'm enjoying the hell out of my new wii u. I also didn't get a wii, so this console really clicks for me. I also pretty much pretended it didn't exist in 2013, and mario kart made me really want it, along with smash, mario party, and zelda. If all these titles are as highly rated as they need to be, I imagine more of my for the last two years console-less pc brethren wil buy many many wii u's by mid 2015.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

It doesn't feel new and feels old to me since I've played a sidescroller at some point in my life.

I think this is the crux of your opinion. I said it earlier in this thread as well when people were talking about about being so-so on NSMBU. If 2-D sidescrolling platformers aren't your thing, it's going to feel old and boring. That's because there's been 35-40 years of companies making sidescrolling platformers. It's a genre that has been done ad nauseum, and if it's not something that really appeals to you, everything is going to feel like an old-rehash with a new set of gimmicks on top of it.

I feel the same way about turn-based RPG's. The single best turn based RPG could come out tomorrow, but it's going to feel slow and outdated to me because I do not like that game mechanic.

Also, I kind of agree with greatn about Super Mario 3D world. Not to the degree that he feels, but the things that made me love the Super Mario 3D games (Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, etc.) was the feeling of exploration which Super Mario 3D world takes away by giving you bite-sized levels with a relatively strict time limit.

I'm probably just playing it wrong, but the number of times that I've gotten 2 green stars, and was searching for the 3rd when the timer warns me that I have under 100 seconds and then have to run to the end as quickly as possible so that I can restart the level and get the third star has been significant. And when that happens, I just get anxious about losing my progress instead of having fun.

And don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot, it just isn't "the best 3D mario game period" like everyone in this thread keeps saying. It took out all of the exploration that made me fall in love with the Mario 3D titles in the past.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The NSMB complaints are more apt because those games are very conservative and recycle a lot of content and design elements with little iteration whatsoever, whereas Tropical Freeze is a true sequel in a way that NSMB games should be but never are.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The NSMB complaints are more apt because those games are very conservative and recycle a lot of content and design elements with little iteration whatsoever, whereas Tropical Freeze is a true sequel in a way that NSMB games should be but never are.

And it's probably because I only played the original NSMB on DS, but so far NSMBU is my favorite game on the Wii U.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fremry posted:

And don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot, it just isn't "the best 3D mario game period" like everyone in this thread keeps saying.

I don't think anyone has ever said this.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

bef posted:

I don't think anyone has ever said this.

I have and I stand by it.

e: Well, not best 3D Mario *period*. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 31, 2014

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

3D World is probably my favorite 3D Mario game. My only complaint is that the requirements for getting 5 stars can go gently caress themselves.

I thought the game struck a pretty good difficulty curve. It slowly ramps up the pace until you reach the special worlds where it goes faster and faster. Nothing is really that bad until the last level, which is something else.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Actually I love Mario 3D World. I was just saying the guy who didn't was at least logically consistent and his reasons for not liking it made sense.

I can't craft any logical consistency from someone who hated Tropical Freeze because they're tired of generic platformers, but thought the first DKCR was the bees knees. That just doesn't compute.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fremry posted:

And it's probably because I only played the original NSMB on DS, but so far NSMBU is my favorite game on the Wii U.

Yeah, I bet a lot of the distaste for the NSMB games comes from fatigue because there's too loving many of them and not enough differences from title to title. NSMBU is my first and I'm enjoying it, though getting those bloody Star Coins is a nightmare sometimes.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
3D World is my personal favorite 3D Mario game. I wanted to enjoy the Galaxy games more than I did, but I did not like the wiimote+nunchuck control scheme. If I didn't have so much other stuff to play, I'd like to revisit those games on Dolphin using a proper controller. Maybe 10 years from now or something.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Pikmin 3 is a joy to play and looks really good. I especially like the integration of the gamepad screen. I admit I never played more than 10 minutes of the first and never played the second one.

When I have someone else to play with, it's 3D World, but all my single player has been on Pikmin so far while poor MK8 and DKTF have been sitting on the shelf. I need more hours in the day.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what Groupon is, but, they have Monster Hunter for $17!

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-monster-hunter-3-ultimate-for-wii-u-or-nintendo-3ds?pledge_id=10781095

I got one and the total cost turned out to be $24 with two week shipping. About $5 less than what's on Amazon. If you can wait a couple of weeks, it seems to be a good deal.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

JordanKai posted:

e: Well, not best 3D Mario *period*. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions.

gently caress that, best Mario period.

3D World is great.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Pikmin 3 question. I am getting rocked by the first boss. I first tried him on day 3, and pretty immediately lost almost all of my Pikmin. I replayed day 3, to try to build some reserves, but it looks like I will need another few days to get enough rock pikmin to even think about taking him on.

Am I making this more difficult than it need be? Also I read there is a 100 day limit, do I need to worry about running out of time, or should I be OK.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I bet a lot of the distaste for the NSMB games comes from fatigue because there's too loving many of them and not enough differences from title to title. NSMBU is my first and I'm enjoying it, though getting those bloody Star Coins is a nightmare sometimes.

I kinda did the same thing. I got the first New Super Mario Bros. on DS, didn't like it. Got the Wii one, played it once when I had a couple friends over, then shelved it.

Then I got NSMBU when I got my Wii U and loved it. I think your opinion on NSMBU really does depend on how many of the other "New" games you've played. Plus, NSMBU has singing baby Yoshis in it. What is not to love about that?

Regarding Super Mario 3D World, I have not liked a Mario game this much since Super Mario World. Mario games since then have just not clicked as much for me. Not that I didn't like them, but my favorite Mario game aside from that was probably Super Mario Sunshine.

SM3DW just captures the joy I used to feel as a kid playing SMW. Just the sheer child-like joy of running through a level and seeing all the set pieces and collecting everything... and the Cat Suit. How can you not like the cat suit?! Clearly someone excised your soul ages ago if you do no like the Cat Suit. Come the gently caress on! You're a cat and you climb up walls and you can pounce on things and climb up the flagpole and the characters say "meow" when they pick them up/finish a level! :3: And the Lucky Cat Suit is even better! You turn into a gold statue (a lucky cat, in fact) when you ground pound, and you get coins!

xamphear posted:

3D World is my personal favorite 3D Mario game. I wanted to enjoy the Galaxy games more than I did, but I did not like the wiimote+nunchuck control scheme. If I didn't have so much other stuff to play, I'd like to revisit those games on Dolphin using a proper controller. Maybe 10 years from now or something.

So, in conclusion, I'm agreeing with this guy. The Galaxy games never clicked for me either. However, I do plan to revisit them soon. I've been on a bit of a Mario kick thanks to how much I loved SMW3W.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Pikmin 3 question. I am getting rocked by the first boss. I first tried him on day 3, and pretty immediately lost almost all of my Pikmin. I replayed day 3, to try to build some reserves, but it looks like I will need another few days to get enough rock pikmin to even think about taking him on.

Am I making this more difficult than it need be? Also I read there is a 100 day limit, do I need to worry about running out of time, or should I be OK.

Pikmin bosses are often less about overwhelming them with sheer numbers and more about figuring out what's killing you and how to avoid it.

For instance that first boss only has one way to kill Pikmin - by eating them. So you can either avoid his mouth and focus on breaking then attacking his tail or figure out a way to make his head area less dangerous.

I do usually make a point to have at least 100 of each color Pikmin available in the onion, but you don't need to spend days exclusively growing them. Just as you explore and hunt for fruit focus on having the colors who are lacking take enemies back and have the other colors carry fruit or other items.

Finally unless you ignore fruit entirely for some reason you're never going to run out of juice. Taking even 40 days to 100% the game would be on the slow side.

E: Also with that boss, remember that rock Pikmin are good for breaking his armor, but not for actually attacking him. So you'll want a decent amount but you'll want to have more reds than you do rocks. A 60-40 split would probably be good. If you're confident on your pikmin control you could bring even fewer rocks.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 31, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

SM3DW just captures the joy I used to feel as a kid playing SMW. Just the sheer child-like joy of running through a level and seeing all the set pieces and collecting everything... and the Cat Suit.

See this is exactly what was lost on me this time around. The child-like joy for me was the ability to explore a large beautiful area with only a single sentence as the hint of what I needed to do. It just inspired a sense of awe and wonder followed by a really satisfying feeling when I finally figured out how to get the star. Like "Blast Away the Wall" in Whomp's Fortress in Super Mario 64. That's the one where you have to use the cannon and shoot the corner of the wall that explodes and shows a star underneath.

Super Mario Sunshine was my favorite because it took the play mechanics of Super Mario 64 and put in an incredibly fun setting filled with water. It was refreshing playing that game (and how could you not love the amusement park level).

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Regy Rusty posted:

Pikmin bosses are often less about overwhelming them with sheer numbers and more about figuring out what's killing you and how to avoid it.

For instance that first boss only has one way to kill Pikmin - by eating them. So you can either avoid his mouth and focus on breaking then attacking his tail or figure out a way to make his head area less dangerous.

I do usually make a point to have at least 100 of each color Pikmin available in the onion, but you don't need to spend days exclusively growing them. Just as you explore and hunt for fruit focus on having the colors who are lacking take enemies back and have the other colors carry fruit or other items.

Finally unless you ignore fruit entirely for some reason you're never going to run out of juice. Taking even 40 days to 100% the game would be on the slow side.

E: Also with that boss, remember that rock Pikmin are good for breaking his armor, but not for actually attacking him. So you'll want a decent amount but you'll want to have more reds than you do rocks. A 60-40 split would probably be good. If you're confident on your pikmin control you could bring even fewer rocks.

Great, thanks! I think my biggest problem is that I am still wrestling with the controls and have a hell of a time avoiding his attack when he charges at you. A lot of my pikmin always get trapped by his mouth claws. Good to know on the time front. I like to take my time exploring.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fremry posted:

See this is exactly what was lost on me this time around. The child-like joy for me was the ability to explore a large beautiful area with only a single sentence as the hint of what I needed to do. It just inspired a sense of awe and wonder followed by a really satisfying feeling when I finally figured out how to get the star. Like "Blast Away the Wall" in Whomp's Fortress in Super Mario 64. That's the one where you have to use the cannon and shoot the corner of the wall that explodes and shows a star underneath.

It's not the game's fault. We can no longer feel that joy because we're grown up and dying inside (as well as dying in the traditional sense).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

It's not the game's fault. We can no longer feel that joy because we're grown up and dying inside (as well as dying in the traditional sense).

New thread title?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Great, thanks! I think my biggest problem is that I am still wrestling with the controls and have a hell of a time avoiding his attack when he charges at you. A lot of my pikmin always get trapped by his mouth claws. Good to know on the time front. I like to take my time exploring.

If you continue having trouble here's something I hinted at that you can try to make him easier: his mandibles are made of pure crystal with no underlying fleshy bits. If you break them he can no longer trap you or your Pikmin.

Oh and while this won't help you right now, make sure to thoroughly explore the second area before beating its boss and moving on - there is a special item that makes dodging attacks considerably easier.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fremry posted:

Super Mario Sunshine was my favorite because it took the play mechanics of Super Mario 64 and put in an incredibly fun setting filled with water. It was refreshing playing that game (and how could you not love the amusement park level).

The genre of platforming collectathon is dead, sorry bud.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fremry posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying I didn't like Mario 64. I definitely did! I played the poo poo out of it when I was a kid. And I totally loved Mario Sunshine as well. Both of those just failed to capture the same feeling I had when playing Super Mario World. SM3DW did that.

But I seriously did love Mario Sunshine. If there's any game I'd love to get the HD treatment, like Wind Waker, it's that one!

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

The frame rate isn't terrible but isn't great either, but it looks better than the PS3 version and the Gamepad features are excellent. Sure, why not.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying I didn't like Mario 64. I definitely did! I played the poo poo out of it when I was a kid. And I totally loved Mario Sunshine as well. Both of those just failed to capture the same feeling I had when playing Super Mario World. SM3DW did that.

But I seriously did love Mario Sunshine. If there's any game I'd love to get the HD treatment, like Wind Waker, it's that one!

Oh yeah, absolutely. I was just quoting you because I got the same feeling from the other side.

Nintendo makes fantastic games, that little extra "something" differs from game to game and person to person.

Honestly, we're all Pavlov's dog and Nintendo is holding the bell.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Sounds about right. This is my third NSMB game and I'm not super crazy about it. I don't hate it-- I like the varied levels and the flying squirrel suit is nice but overall I'm just tired with it after three worlds.

But yes, Star Coins. I am a huge perfectionist when it comes to platformers in that I'll always try to get 100% of any collectibles hidden about but some of the ones in this game are too well hidden, in my opinion. Most games if I finish a stage and it turns out I missed something I'll replay it right away, but with NSMBU I found myself just shaking my head and pressing onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

greatn posted:

The only thing I didn't really care for in Tropical Freeze were the boss fights. They're incredibly drawn out and very punishing. I just want to quit the game when I know the boss only had one or two hits left and now I have to start the entire fight over from the beginning.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I think both DKCR and Tropical Freeze suffer from overly drawn out boss fights. Main problem, is that if you die, you have to start all over at the beginning of the build up which is often dull and tedious. It's my main complaint from the Retro DKC games. The actual levels themselves are pretty great, but I dread the boss battles every time I get to them.

• Locked thread