Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I died more on that part on my first playthrough on PS3 than any other. No matter how stealthy I tried to be, it ended up a complete clusterfuck and finally I got lucky and passed it somehow (despite alerting everyone :downs:).

This time I got through on first try : I strangled the first runner, somehow the clicker got attracted to that same spot, letting me take him out silently. This still alerted the remaining runners though.

Also gently caress the school and everything leading up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The bloater fight at the high school was really easy this time for some reason. On the PS3 I must have died there a dozen times. This time I just ran around a box hitting him with the shotgun until he died.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

al-azad posted:

It's the room right after you get the revolver. There's a clicker standing with its back to a wall and four runners patrolling the tiny area. One of the runner is down a side hallway standing completely motionless so you'll probably miss it the first time around. All four runners cross paths meaning there's really no area to hide in as they will come across you eventually. One of the runners even patrols within 5' of the clicker so distracting one will alert the other.

Someone went over how to do it without being spotted a little earlier, but essentially you take out the stationary Runner, then you wait and sneak into that dark side room to take out the one that goes in there out of sight of the doorways. Taking out the remaining two is trickier, but if you watch them for a bit you can find an opening. It helps if you still have a melee weapon as there is already one in there so you can essentially use it on the Clicker up without worrying about it.

Also sometimes the best strategy is to run around like crazy hitting things with boards, fists, and bricks until the yelling stops. That's how I got through the museum. Also I tried to use stealth take-downs for the entire capitol building thing, but the checkpoint was all the way at the beginning of that poo poo, so eventually my plan for the first area became wait a bit, throw brick at stationary guy's head, and run for the stairs hoping I don't get shot. Luckily the ground floor has a lot of cover for sneaking around. Didn't fire a single shot until I got stuck in one of Bill's dumb traps, and then I had to try that like a dozen loving times before I managed to get lucky with headshots.

Also I inadvertently discovered that you can use the Photo Mode to cheat in certain circumstances on the higher difficulties where you don't have the listening ability. Used it to look around a wall while trying to frame something, so I'm just going to try to avoid that in the future myself, but if anyone else wants to try that I won't judge...much.

Oh, does anyone know if beating the game on Grounded gives you the trophies for the other difficulty levels as well? I'm fairly certain it does that for Hard/Survivor but I noticed that it was in a separate section in the trophy list like the rest of the DLC.

Edit: Added spoiler tags for minor early things. Forgot there were new people in the thread for a moment.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 31, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Are molotovs available for the bloater fight? Because fire stunlocks everything. It sucks you get the flamethrower so late in the game and subsequently lose it for majority of that time.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yeah molotovs and nail bombs can be used in that fight. But I'm smart and didn't have any going in so box strafe shotgun it was :downs:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

NESguerilla posted:

I really liked the ending because it's immediately satisfying in regards to the two main character's fates, but you are stuck with feeling like an rear end in a top hat for enjoying it because it could have been horrible for humanity...or maybe not. It doesn't matter either way because Joel did what he did. Roll credits

Ending spoilers:

Before I walked into the operating room I all gung-ho ready to bust my not-daughter out and escape, maybe find some more comic books or something on the way back to happytown. But when I got in there and saw the only options were kill some doctors and destroy any chance at a cure, or let Ellie die, I actually exited the room and expected it to go Dark Souls (alternate ending just by walking away). This made the rest of it worse because of what I did earlier. "Heyyyy kiddo, look who's up! I certainly wasn't ready to just walk out of there and let you die for humanity's future or anything like that. Say, did I ever tell you my dead daughter liked hiking?" Troy Baker's lines in the last scene obviously have a lot of guilt behind them, so it actually worked with what I'd tried, even made the delivery seem tailored for it.

The PS3 spoilers thread was archived so RIP.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Played through about half the game so far, and I am loving it. The multiplayer is also a lot of fun, but I am awful. It is really hard to play when your teammates won't communicate, so it will be nice to group up this weekend and stomp them.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The best part of multi is when it splits your party so you get a mole on the other team

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Heh. Bill's Traps

Was playing late yesterday afternoon and started dozing off while I was playing after getting up at 1am that morning for work. Apparently, the point at which I really dozed off I had the left thumb stick nudged up enough to make Joel move around. So, Joel is walking forward and what wakes me up enough to hear it but not open my eyes is him saying "Whoa, see that one right there? Be careful" then KABLAMMO goes Bills trap in my A50 headset which was turned up a fairly high.

Needless to say, I was awake after that.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Best advice I can give anyone who is struggling with multiplayer is to stick with it until you get First Aid 2. Then you will rack up points.

Right now my standard loadout is the revolver, First Aid 2, Revive 2, Marathon Runner and Collector. I'm routinely getting 3,500-5,500 points a game by staying back, healing, and choosing my spots. That's with nothing but pubbies, too.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
After playing a few hours of multi-player I see why Survivors seems to be way more popular. It's more fast-paced than Supply Drop even when you die and have to wait for the end of the round, I've had a lot more close games, and it doesn't suck as bad when you're on a team of pubbies getting stomped by a team in a party. Also, it's basically CounterStrike, which people love. I still think I would prefer to play Supply Drop if I had a regular group to play with, but Survivors scratches that "hop in, get killed a bunch, hop out" itch better (especially with the busted matchmaking).

Pandanaut posted:

Best advice I can give anyone who is struggling with multiplayer is to stick with it until you get First Aid 2. Then you will rack up points.

Right now my standard loadout is the revolver, First Aid 2, Revive 2, Marathon Runner and Collector. I'm routinely getting 3,500-5,500 points a game by staying back, healing, and choosing my spots. That's with nothing but pubbies, too.

This is basically my build, but I take the purchasable shotgun instead of Collector. Those healing points really do add up.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I just started playing multiplayer for the first time and it isn't as hard as you guys make it out to be, but it owns just as much as you said it would.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah. Multiplayer is a blast. Its a shame the single player is so loving awful that people might end up dismissing it.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

RagnarokAngel posted:

I forgot how miserable the first real stealth sequence in Boston is. 4 Runners and a clicker before youre really equipped to handle that. Ugh.

The only thing you need for this is a 2x4 and a brick, of which the game gives you both.

The encounter design and combat in TLoU is seriously flawless, I love it so much.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Equilibrium posted:

The only thing you need for this is a 2x4 and a brick, of which the game gives you both.

The encounter design and combat in TLoU is seriously flawless, I love it so much.

In fairness, it's very much a trial by fire experience. They don't teach you how to make the most of your 2x4's and bricks, so it's frustrating to have to figure out all those subsystems when you're thrown into a room with a ton of stuff that can kill you. Of course, then on a second playthrough you can go in there and John Rambo that poo poo, but the first time, it's a huge stumbling block.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Equilibrium posted:

You don't need the 2x4 either. :) These days when I play through the single player I only use the brick for the first 40 percent (and for a lot of the rest of the game, actually). It's not that hard if you have the right strategies and know when to avoid fights. Unless you play on Grounded, and even that's pretty manageable besides the loving cabin.

PS: This version is seriously a lot better-looking than the PS3 version. I thought my fifth time through might be a bit boring, even with the graphical upgrades, but actually the graphics are kinda blowing me away. Looking forward to taking some awesome photos in Photo Mode.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 31, 2014

Bruc
May 30, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Yeah. Multiplayer is a blast. Its a shame the single player is so loving awful that people might end up dismissing it.

The single player is pretty well regarded by most people I really doubt that will be an issue.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bruc posted:

The single player is pretty well regarded by most people I really doubt that will be an issue.

Don't worry about VirtualboyCOLOR, he's a bit of a goof.

In other news, I somehow managed to miss picking up the rifle at the Capitol Building. Meanwhile I'm halfway through the next chapter of the game and I still haven't gotten a second chance to pick one up. Sure hope one of them shows up before the next big encounter. :ohdear:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bruc posted:

Single player is really loving awful. I honestly only heard game critics and easily impressed children rave about. Its really, really bad. Complete opposite of the multiplayer though. Multiplayer owns bones.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Did they do anything new for multiplayer? The single player is absolute garbage for idiots but the multiplayer was fun as heck.

drat this game is still ugly. So much for "remastered".

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Single player is really loving awful. I honestly only heard game critics and easily impressed children rave about. Its really, really bad. Complete opposite of the multiplayer though. Multiplayer owns bones.

You don't like the singleplayer, we get it.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Just bizarre.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Interrogation is supplies heaven if your into the metagame. 1 organized group you can keep farming until the end of the round and easily get 60+ supplies.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Well reached the Fall season.

Game loving owns

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

bobby2times posted:

Interrogation is supplies heaven if your into the metagame. 1 organized group you can keep farming until the end of the round and easily get 60+ supplies.

Yeah I played interrogation once. Enemy team was some super pro group or something. When they got to the open the safe bit (like 2 minutes after the round started) they just held the room until time almost ran out killing us over and over refusing to open the safe to end the game.

Let me tell you how fun that was

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Well reached the Fall season.

Game loving owns

and it gets even better from there (I'm currently on Winter and it owns)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, it is not easy to line up headshots when you first start the game. Do you get to upgrade your aiming later on? I forgot.

I cranked the sensitivity up. Hopefully that'll help.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the first place to upgrade is at Bill's church hideout and you should save everything until you get there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Man, it is not easy to line up headshots when you first start the game. Do you get to upgrade your aiming later on? I forgot.

You can reduce weapon sway with the pills.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Cranked up? I would think that would be counter-productive.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Red Robin Hood posted:

Cranked up? I would think that would be counter-productive.
It was way too slow by default.

Dan Didio posted:

You can reduce weapon sway with the pills.

al-azad posted:

I think the first place to upgrade is at Bill's church hideout and you should save everything until you get there.
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Although it's not what I would upgrade first.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

It was way too slow by default.

I turned mine down to make it easier. That's always worked in other FPSs...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Red Robin Hood posted:

I turned mine down to make it easier. That's always worked in other FPSs...
Yeah that's what I normally do in other games too, but if it had been any slower in this game, I would've gotten shot first just the same.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I should clarify: save your pills for weapon sway and save your parts for weapon holsters which you most likely can't afford at the first workbench. They will make your life at the beginning of the game so much easier.

Dan Didio posted:

Although it's not what I would upgrade first.

What would you upgrade first? Because I don't think there's a single better skill at the beginning of the game. Trying to use the bow without reducing weapon sway is nearly impossible.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

What would you upgrade first? Because I don't think there's a single better skill at the beginning of the game. Trying to use the bow without reducing weapon sway is nearly impossible.

Either Listen Radius or Shiv Master (if you're having trouble with Clickers, which you really shouldn't be past the first few, which aren't really feasible to use shivs on). The bow's pretty easy to use if you're patient and practice a little.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ND pushed a multiplayer patch through today, and they say more stability fixes are coming soon.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

al-azad posted:

I should clarify: save your pills for weapon sway and save your parts for weapon holsters which you most likely can't afford at the first workbench. They will make your life at the beginning of the game so much easier.

I'd get the first thing of Shiv Master first then max weapon sway. I don't really have a problem with the bow since I'm usually using it when the clickers are just standing there to pick them off one-by-one. Shivving a clicker has saved me more times than mis-timing the sway of a gun.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Crappy Jack posted:

In fairness, it's very much a trial by fire experience. They don't teach you how to make the most of your 2x4's and bricks, so it's frustrating to have to figure out all those subsystems when you're thrown into a room with a ton of stuff that can kill you. Of course, then on a second playthrough you can go in there and John Rambo that poo poo, but the first time, it's a huge stumbling block.

Yeah I haven't played the game in a year (I played it once, stuff came up, never got around to a repeat playthrough and decided to double dip when the PS4 version was announced).

I went from Hard to Grounded and so I was struggling with an encounter didnt really remember and also jumping 2 difficulty levels to do it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Either Listen Radius or Shiv Master (if you're having trouble with Clickers, which you really shouldn't be past the first few, which aren't really feasible to use shivs on). The bow's pretty easy to use if you're patient and practice a little.

Ehh, I would agree with shiv master if it let you kill a clicker in a single hit but it's really just a get-out-of-jail free card and shivs are precious for opening doors (who thought that was a good idea??). Clickers become a non-issue once you get past the school. Does Ellie even get to use that skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I love when this game glitches out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkIz3U_mew tiny spoiler from the DLC
and here are some more things from photo mode

Joel uses his inFamous powers

A DOG

• Locked thread