Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Metropolis posted:

The stakes for the season may yet raise a lot. The Harmonic Convergence Ultimate Deciding Battle wasn't really in play until the last few episodes and we've just reached the same point this season. Also the season's supposed to be about change and we haven't really seen a ton other than Republic City having vines.

Well, the Airbenders came back, that's kind of a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Yes the airbender a are back.. But not in great enough numbers yet. They need to have an air brender breeding stick started or they will just die off again. Most of the recruits are grown, attached to families already and obviously haven't passed on the airbender 'gene'

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheModernAmerican posted:

That uhh... won't happen. The only reason why I stuck through it is because I don't have a job for the next 2 weeks and can just absorb input like a sad rock.

This show would be so much better if it had one villain like Aang had. It's a little bit of a let down to go from an event that happens once every ten thousand years that results in fundamental changes to how the universe works to... four dudes.

I think you mean that the show had one mayor conflict (the war) rather than one villain because Ozai was technically the big bad of the series and he's OKAY at best when it comes to villains, I mean he wasn't as boring as Combustion Man, but he certainly wasn't the best villain in the show when you got Zhao, Long Feng and Azula.

I think in that respect, the four dudes work really great, if they end up being just four guys that wanted something realistic in the worldand were simply strong then that's rad. Not sure how to explain it, but what I want is not Ozai vs Aang but rather Azula vs Zuko/Katara.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
More airbenders might very well just continue to pop up in more places throughout the world. Along with those who refused to become air nomads when Tenzin and Korra offered, there could very well end up being many many more that haven't been found yet. And if leaving the spirit portals open changed the rules, you might not even need to be a direct descendant of any airbenders to become one.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 31, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think you mean that the show had one mayor conflict (the war) rather than one villain because Ozai was technically the big bad of the series and he's OKAY at best when it comes to villains, I mean he wasn't as boring as Combustion Man, but he certainly wasn't the best villain in the show when you got Zhao, Long Feng and Azula.

I think in that respect, the four dudes work really great, if they end up being just four guys that wanted something realistic in the worldand were simply strong then that's rad. Not sure how to explain it, but what I want is not Ozai vs Aang but rather Azula vs Zuko/Katara.

I suppose I meant one conflict, rather than one villain. But I really thought the Anti-Bender thing would be sticking around for more than one season, it seemed like a cool thing to stretch out and really explore.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
alright so I finally managed to catch up on episodes 1-7 online now; it's looking pretty good but I guess I shouldn't be the judge since I can sit through most things.

though when I was watching the book 2 finale I was thinking "wow that's cool but also really dumb and sudden" and outright shouted "I must go, my home planet needs me" when jenora took off from the spirit world to help korra

anyway did episode 8 get aired and will be put up tomorrow or am I all caught up to everyone

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Fifty Three posted:

Ah, yes, "spacebenders." We have dismissed that claim.

Remember that episode in TLA, where Toph is played by a muscular man? Gender Benders, man.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

NextTime000 posted:

alright so I finally managed to catch up on episodes 1-7 online now; it's looking pretty good but I guess I shouldn't be the judge since I can sit through most things.

though when I was watching the book 2 finale I was thinking "wow that's cool but also really dumb and sudden" and outright shouted "I must go, my home planet needs me" when jenora took off from the spirit world to help korra

anyway did episode 8 get aired and will be put up tomorrow or am I all caught up to everyone

Nick.com's not that good at showing the episodes, episode 8 is under the general episodes option rather than on the Korra episodes.
http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-208-full-episode.html
Now you'll be all caught up.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Ravane posted:

Remember that episode in TLA, where Toph is played by a muscular man? Gender Benders, man.

The powers to confuse people, sexually.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So is there gonna be a new episode tonight?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Genocyber posted:

So is there gonna be a new episode tonight?

No, tomorrow night. And not on TV, but online only.

v v v I stand corrected!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 1, 2014

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

No, tomorrow night. And not on TV, but online only.

Noon EST actually.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Oh dear lord what have they done to the nick site? There was nothing wrong with the old setup that had last week.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Man do I hate being in Canada. nickcanada.com is listing Korra as just "coming soon" and I don't even think they have a VoD player. Why is it hard for companies to understand that people aren't going to wait for the content to be delivered to their region?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Babygravy posted:

Yes the airbender a are back.. But not in great enough numbers yet. They need to have an air brender breeding stick started or they will just die off again. Most of the recruits are grown, attached to families already and obviously haven't passed on the airbender 'gene'

Hey, if we're going to dredge back up the same creepy poo poo that got Deadpool involved in the thread, can we at least do it in coherent English?

On second thought, just :frogout:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

First Bass posted:

Hey, if we're going to dredge back up the same creepy poo poo that got Deadpool involved in the thread, can we at least do it in coherent English?

On second thought, just :frogout:

Creepy? Didn't mean it in a creepy way fool, more of a I don't see airbenders lasting another generation in any significant numbers

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry forums user "Babygravy", please go ahead and hash out the logistics of a eugenics program for a fictional group of people who can magically move air with their minds on a children's television show. This is in no way creepy. I am, as you would say, a "fool".

:shepface:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Touché.

I blame you for taking me seriously.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
He also assumes they need to when in the show we see airbenders are popping up all over the place, why would that stop?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Depends on how/why it works. If it was Harmonic Convergence™, then presumably it only happens once every 10,000 years, so everyone who is going to be effected by it already has been, and they're just waiting to be discovered.

If it's tied to the Spirit Portals being opened, then it could continue indefinitely.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

TheModernAmerican posted:

I suppose I meant one conflict, rather than one villain. But I really thought the Anti-Bender thing would be sticking around for more than one season, it seemed like a cool thing to stretch out and really explore.

I really want to see some kind of equalist manhattan project where they develop the bomb. And then nuke republic city. Also I wanted to see people starting to wear Amon masks like people wear Guy Fawkes masks. Since he's dead now. I was pretty interested in that storyline.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Unless I have the time wrong, Nick put up the new episode early

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Those trees from Socotra were pretty neat

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Red Lotus confirmed as anarchists.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Red Lotus confirmed as anarchists.

Huh, I guess Bryan and Mike really hate anti-establishment types, huh.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Ugh this player is awful. Is anyone else getting strange double audio issues?

e: It also starts 7 minutes in. :wtf:

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 1, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that they had Zaheer say that even by villain standards, Unalaq sucked and was an rear end in a top hat.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Ugh this player is awful. Is anyone else getting strange double audio issues?

I'm not getting double audio issues, but the image is really laggy/pixely. :geno:

This episode is really good so far! The dialogue has that fun, comedic, naturalistic feel, and it's nice to have all four characters just sort of bouncing off each other in a casual and friendly way.

EDIT: Just finished! Ah, it's really great! It's been a while since I really really looked forward to the next episode!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 1, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Scratch that, there's a slight desync there.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 1, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The thing that gets me on the player is that it repeats frames like crazy when it starts, I stay paranoid that the framerate's bad during the whole first act.

I knew that the Red Lotus were anti-establishment! Didn't expect Zaheer to straight up be Senator Armstrong, tho
I kinda super agree to their point about the White Lotus, tho.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
What a fun little episode!

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My player worked beautifully (which is more than I could say about my cable sometimes). I could get used to this.

Disappointed but not surprised that the Red Lotus are violent anarchists, so basically echoing this sentiment:

DrSunshine posted:

Huh, I guess Bryan and Mike really hate anti-establishment types, huh.

Also now stuck imagining how much more awesome Korra/this show would have been if their plan had succeeded and Korra was a freedom fighter with exploding lava tentacle-bending.

This was a really great episode, but then again, I'm a huge sucker for exposition drops (I mean, we even got exposition about Pai Sho). It wasn't just that, though: it was funny, beautiful, balanced, and ended on a suspenseful note (who else thought that the lavabender had caught them?) that is going to make the wait for the next episode torturous. I'm really digging the little Ghibli spirits and the liberal use of them, a trend that I hope continues. The unintentionally funniest part was when Zaheer name-dropped a quote by none other than GURU LAHIMA and god bless him Henry Rollins is really trying to sell it, and Korra audibly gasps at "an airbender" because even though she has no idea who this schmuck is, it's mind-blowing that a gentle Air Nomad could have said something mildly revolutionary.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I knew that the Red Lotus were anti-establishment! Didn't expect Zaheer to straight up be Senator Armstrong, tho
I kinda super agree to their point about the White Lotus, tho.
Now we really know why Platinum is making a game for them :v:

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
what time of the day are the peisodes being released now

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Zaheer's delivery seems pretty weak on this episode, but I'm still enjoying it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So up until now I've been against the whole "Suyin is part of the Red Lotus" theory, but what Zaheer said about about rulers sounds a lot like Suyin's rant that the Earth Queen has to "change with the rest of the world." :stare:

Are they really doing this? Because I have to admit making the direct relative of Toph one of the main villains would be pretty ballsy.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This latest episode raises on of the big plot holes of the whole Avatar saga: they have never properly defined what "balance" is. This didn't matter very much the first show, A:TLA, because Aang and his friends had a more concrete, down-to-earth goal: preventing the tyrannical Fire Nation from taking over the world. All three seasons of LoK have had villains whose goals and purpose are never quite clear.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Baron Bifford posted:

All three seasons of LoK have had villains whose goals and purpose are never quite clear.

A calculated power grab using philosophic posturing to justify/spur popular movements against the establishment.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm betting that Pai Sho having non-standardized rules/methods of play is going to end up as foreshadowing for how this season's conflict is resolved morally.
Also I think we should stop using spoiler tags while discussing this episode in like, I dunno, an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well, the villains in TLA were not centered on "getting" the Avatar. The Avatar was a threat to their plans, but it's not like Korra where their plans all involve the Avatar specifically. That left Aang and crew the freedom to go around and not be tied directly to what was going in 100% of the time and could act and react to the effects of the Fire Nation war effort.

There's also the fact that the Fire Nation had a real world equivalent goal as a conquering nation. Korra book 1 looked like it was going to be similarly about real world class struggles and when that aspect dropped off, many became disappointed.

• Locked thread