Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kibner posted:

Stadium's are a nice-to-have thing that can help with the happiness of the people who live in the area, as long as there aren't any major problems keeping the general population from achieving financial success.

Man, you've played a lot of Civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Moving the Jaguars to San Antonio seems like it would be a better move. Wouldn't even have to shift divisions honestly.

I think the Alamodome is a cool venue, though I could be quite wrong on that.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
The best thing to be said about the Alamodome is that it's harmless.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I've always felt like they deserved a team since they, ya know, just went ahead and built the stadium anyway.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zypher posted:

The best thing to be said about the Alamodome is that it's harmless.

It's really really weird for basketball.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Way late but if you guys want to talk about lovely stadium terms and overall shady stuff to get a deal done, Google what the Braves and Cobb County did to get a stadium plan for suburban Atlanta. It's cartoonish.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FuzzySkinner posted:

Moving the Jaguars to San Antonio seems like it would be a better move. Wouldn't even have to shift divisions honestly.

Why would the Jaguars move? They have a better attendance rate at their games than at least 1/3 of the league (and the best of the 3 in Florida), werent blacked out at all last year, and just invested in some huuuuuuuuuuuuuge new screens and other improvements at the stadium in Jacksonville :confused:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

Why would the Jaguars move? They have a better attendance rate at their games than at least 1/3 of the league (and the best of the 3 in Florida), werent blacked out at all last year, and just invested in some huuuuuuuuuuuuuge new screens and other improvements at the stadium in Jacksonville :confused:

Yeah, it's still really hard for people to realize Miami is the most realistic option for a moving Florida team.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

Don't know.

There really is no teams you could move from a city and the impact wouldn't be "Huge" if you really think about it. Ever since Cleveland, people really don't seem to gently caress around in that regard.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I've always felt like they deserved a team since they, ya know, just went ahead and built the stadium anyway.

Worked out tremendous for Indianapolis.

I think the Saints would have bailed for there in 2005 if Katrina had not hit. Benson sounded like he was close to doing it, but Taglibue realized how loving awful that would have been on the PR front, and well, we still have the New Orleans Saints.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The NFL should just do a 6 team expansion. Can't have enough bad teams. Expand the playoffs, and add Saturday games after NCAA gets over.

LA, London, San Antonio, plus whatever other cities can pony up some cash. Sell them all for 1 billion bucks each.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
If the Clippers just sold for 2 billion, an NFL team in LA would fetch significantly more than that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elephanthead posted:

The NFL should just do a 6 team expansion. Can't have enough bad teams. Expand the playoffs, and add Saturday games after NCAA gets over.

LA, London, San Antonio, plus whatever other cities can pony up some cash. Sell them all for 1 billion bucks each.

The league is too balanced right now to add anything but 8 teams. There are two conferences each with 16 teams that are divided into 4 divisions with 4 teams each. If they want to maintain that fantastic balance and exceptional (in my opinion) scheduling streamlining they have to add 8 teams and to add 2 more divisions to each conference, then add 1 game to the schedule to account for that. However, adding 8 teams would arguably dilute both the coaching and player talent pretty badly.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bort Bortles posted:

The league is too balanced right now to add anything but 8 teams. There are two conferences each with 16 teams that are divided into 4 divisions with 4 teams each. If they want to maintain that fantastic balance and exceptional (in my opinion) scheduling streamlining they have to add 8 teams and to add 2 more divisions to each conference, then add 1 game to the schedule to account for that. However, adding 8 teams would arguably dilute both the coaching and player talent pretty badly.

However, it would add 56 extra draft picks for the NFL to milk the poo poo out of.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
Build a new stadium, play a thanksgiving game/pro bowl game there, call it a day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bort Bortles posted:

OK then: Hawaii, London, San Antonio, Oakland/St. Louis (Raiders/Rams go back to LA in trade), Oklahoma City, Germany, Toronto, Salt Lake City.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 30, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

OK then: Hawaii, London, San Antonio, Oakland/St. Louis (Raiders/Rams go back to LA in trade), Oklahoma City, Germany, Toronto, Salt Lake City.

Hah. I bet you can do it in the states without needing to go to London. Options, based on where teams currently are, would be
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
LA (x2?)
Vegas
Salt Lake City
Richmond
Raleigh
Hawaii
Portland (Oregon)
Birmingham
Little Rock
El Paso

ppppbbbbttttt probably a couple others? Half of those I listed are probably poo poo for one reason or another, though.

Yeeesh 40 teams just sounds wrong.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The average NFL city has a metro population around three million, so NYC should have six teams.

I started to ponder the issue of where teams could go if they wanted to go up to 40 and all I can think is 1) San Antonio isn't bad, 2) Virginia Beach is probably wiser than Richmond, and 3) the South needs a city that's not Atlanta for a major city.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

The average NFL city has a metro population around three million, so NYC should have six teams.

I started to ponder the issue of where teams could go if they wanted to go up to 40 and all I can think is 1) San Antonio isn't bad, 2) Virginia Beach is probably wiser than Richmond, and 3) the South needs a city that's not Atlanta for a major city.

Instead of the New England Patriots just have the Deep South Rebels. Use the confederate flag and everything and its still not the most offensive team in the league.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Bort Bortles posted:

Hah. I bet you can do it in the states without needing to go to London. Options, based on where teams currently are, would be
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
LA (x2?)
Vegas
Salt Lake City
Richmond
Raleigh
Hawaii
Portland (Oregon)
Birmingham
Little Rock
El Paso

ppppbbbbttttt probably a couple others? Half of those I listed are probably poo poo for one reason or another, though.

No way would Goodell/the owners would not take advantage of the international markets if the league made a move to 8 more teams.

Teams that would be moved:
Bills to Toronto
Raiders/Chargers to LA

Teams to be created:
Vancouver B.C.
Montreal
Mexico City
Berlin
London
San Antonio
Virginia Beach
Vegas/Salt Lake City/whatever city is willing to build a stadium.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Who do I email my "London Blitz" team branding plans to?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Sash! posted:

Send them to me, I'm starting a firm specializing in image crafting for expansion teams. I'm presenting my proposal for the Hillsborough Crush to the FA in a few weeks.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

skaboomizzy posted:

Send them to me, I'm starting a firm specializing in image crafting for expansion teams. I'm presenting my proposal for the Hillsborough Crush to the FA in a few weeks.

Is the logo a cartoon face with X's for eyes pressed up against a chicken wire link fence?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

You'd think this would be offensive, but we live in a world where the Atlanta Flames were a thing so here we are

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Sash! posted:

Probably these guys.

http://www.londonblitz.com/

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Any team in Europe is going to be screwed travelling back and forth all the time, and no one is going to want to sign with them, so it's really a pipe dream that will never happen. And if it did, it would take massive subsidies and still be a disaster.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
It would be cool if the NFL developed a new Concorde to facilitate a London team. That would be pretty baller.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Volkerball posted:

Any team in Europe is going to be screwed travelling back and forth all the time, and no one is going to want to sign with them, so it's really a pipe dream that will never happen. And if it did, it would take massive subsidies and still be a disaster.

Maybe this is the final push we need to develop Star Trek transporter technology.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Volkerball posted:

That's why you make an entire new division in Europe.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

That's why you make an entire new division in Europe.

Still 5 games a year where they travel farther than any team in the NFL would ever have to just to get to the east coast. Then they'd have to fly back. The Raiders trip to London nearly has them traveling more miles than the Steelers will all season, and that's just one game. There's only one team in the NFL that is traveling more than 30k miles next year. A European based team would be pushing 50k just off their 5 non-divisional away games whenever they were matched against the AFC or NFC West, and that's assuming their divisional opponents were in Europe. If they just expanded to include a London team, it would be closer to 80k. Well over double the 2nd most traveling team. You could have them fly to the US and play 8 straight games, and then fly back to London to play their last 8 games, but that isn't gonna matter when the playoffs roll around. Imagine them playing in an AFC where they beat the Chargers who had homefield advantage, then have homefield advantage against Pittsburgh who beat Baltimore the week before. 24 hours spent on a plane the last two weeks to 8.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I still have a bizarre fantasy of the CFL being acquired and merged into the NFL. (with the addition of one extra team in the Halifax-area for lulz). 42 teams. Not sure how that would divide up, but I imagine you'd have to do with the AFC and NFC in order to make things equal.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

FuzzySkinner posted:

I still have a bizarre fantasy of the CFL being acquired and merged into the NFL. (with the addition of one extra team in the Halifax-area for lulz). 42 teams. Not sure how that would divide up, but I imagine you'd have to do with the AFC and NFC in order to make things equal.

This is what the NFL has to achieve before it can even dream of going across the pond (never going to happen); if it can't get enough popularity to exist in Canada, even speculative talk of Europe is simply laughable at best.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Volkerball posted:

Look, I'm fine with the multiple concussions and traumatic brain injury, but hell if I'm going to sleep on an airplane 8 nights a year!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Look, I'm fine with the multiple concussions and traumatic brain injury, but hell if I'm going to sleep on an airplane 8 nights a year!

You and I laugh about this, but every profession has things which would seem like nothing to outsiders that they hate and things which seem awful to outsiders that they have no problem with.

AJ Whitworth went out of his way to say he wouldn't ever play overseas and he had absolutely no reason to comment on it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Eifert Posting posted:

You and I laugh about this, but every profession has things which would seem like nothing to outsiders that they hate and things which seem awful to outsiders that they have no problem with.

AJ Whitworth went out of his way to say he wouldn't ever play overseas and he had absolutely no reason to comment on it.

'Traveling for business' sounded awesome when I first got hired at the last place I was in, but four years later I was ready to hurl myself into traffic whenever I had to travel somewhere.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

FuzzySkinner posted:

The Alamodome would need a major renovation before it was even considered. I'm in that thing once a year (for a drum corps international event) and it's fine for events that don't completely fill the place, but frankly it isn't designed to be full. Something would need to be done about parking (there's 2 major lots outside, and they get jammed even for a half-full event and there's nothing else really nearby except the convention center across the highway) and that turf would have to come out (it's awful at present). There aren't enough concession areas for the size, there aren't enough ways to get upstairs (there's like one escalator, 2 elevators and then just a bunch of regular stairs but no ramps) but it's got adequate restroom coverage, at least.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My plan of 6 additional teams requires we go back to 3 divisions like God intended.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ComposerGuy posted:

The Alamodome would need a major renovation before it was even considered. I'm in that thing once a year (for a drum corps international event) and it's fine for events that don't completely fill the place, but frankly it isn't designed to be full. Something would need to be done about parking (there's 2 major lots outside, and they get jammed even for a half-full event and there's nothing else really nearby except the convention center across the highway) and that turf would have to come out (it's awful at present). There aren't enough concession areas for the size, there aren't enough ways to get upstairs (there's like one escalator, 2 elevators and then just a bunch of regular stairs but no ramps) but it's got adequate restroom coverage, at least.

The main problem is just that it's just a loving ugly cement cavern on the inside. It's only 20 years old, but it's probably still too dated for NFL standards. I still think a stadium to the north would to be the long-term goal.

Bort Bortles posted:

Install relegation, problem solved :getin:

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 31, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Frackie Robinson posted:

Install relegation, problem solved :getin:

I've always wanted this. Take the top 8 BCS teams at the end of the season, and throw them in the NFL in the place of every team who finished last in their division. Then let Oregon try their poo poo against the Steelers and let the Browns play tune up games against Bumfuck U to try and stay undefeated. Same draft and NCAA rules apply, naturally.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

I've always wanted this. Take the top 8 BCS teams at the end of the season, and throw them in the NFL in the place of every team who finished last in their division. Then let Oregon try their poo poo against the Steelers and let the Browns play tune up games against Bumfuck U to try and stay undefeated. Same draft and NCAA rules apply, naturally.

The college teams would just get destroyed. No matter how much schadenfreude you might have towards one college team or another it would be completely uninteresting to watch as all the college teams lose 50+ - 3 every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHelmet posted:

The college teams would just get destroyed. No matter how much schadenfreude you might have towards one college team or another it would be completely uninteresting to watch as all the college teams lose 50+ - 3 every game.

It would easily crack 100+. Every game would be Georgia Tech vs Cumberland and it would own.

• Locked thread