Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really want to see the scene of Johnny trying to convince Reed to spend the time/money to make an unstable molecules wig just for one afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That is....truly inspiring.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

You just know "Norwegian Wood" is Johnny's favorite Beatles song.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

I really want to see the scene of Johnny trying to convince Reed to spend the time/money to make an unstable molecules wig just for one afternoon.

He just has to tell Reed it can't be done and Reed will do it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

He just has to tell Reed it can't be done and Reed will do it.

They tell Victor that Reed could not do it. :doom:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That comic is old enough that they would have said it was an asbestos wig. Asbestos back then was used like yellow against Green Lantern. Like asbestos webbing! Spray it into people's faces Spidey, yeah!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lobok posted:

That comic is old enough that they would have said it was an asbestos wig. Asbestos back then was used like yellow against Green Lantern. Like asbestos webbing! Spray it into people's faces Spidey, yeah!
Now I'm imagining old-timey superheroes who get their powers from things like powdered radium and arsenic infusions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FMguru posted:

Now I'm imagining old-timey superheroes who get their powers from things like powdered radium and arsenic infusions.

How about the Whizzer and mongoose blood?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FMguru posted:

Or even directly from radiation?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Poison Mushroom posted:

Wasn't this a scene from the opening of Anchorman 2?

Yeah (and thanks to rotinaj for linking it.) In my defence I had that idea years before Hollywood used it. Much like my idea of having characters die in a freak gasoline fight accident years before Zoolander came out.)

I think my overall idea for a JSA storyline was in an absurdest humour way. Like I think I wanted the run to have Hawkman die at the start of the run, and have Hawkman show up in the funeral the next issue. But apart from that,go through the usual comic tropes with a dead hero for Hawkman (have other characters feel depressed over his death, have a statute erected to his memory, etc...) All the while, Hawkman is just THERE in the comic.
Then near the end of the run, Hawkman would come back from the dead to help the heroes win a huge climactic battle. And then just have two Hawkmen on the team....with absolutely no comment from anyone.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

The Question IRL posted:

near the end of the run, Hawkman would come back from the dead to help the heroes win a huge climactic battle. And then just have two Hawkmen on the team....with absolutely no comment from anyone.
ha ha, jesus christ, genius. Do we see them going home to the same bed and just sleeping really awkwardly next to each other?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Sort of, except I'm imagining the character actually having been dead. The character gets killed, they arrange the funeral the next day at 1:00 (the time they keep open for funerals), and by then the character's already been resurrected somehow. They show up because they know it's funeral time and SOMEBODY must have died (absentmindedly forgetting "Oh, it was me"), so when the open invitation comes the character volunteers, figuring "Eh, I may as well get it out of the way" and then looks over at the picture (which others had conveniently been in the way of) to see, "Oh, that's right! I died!"

Of course, me imagining an appointed time set aside daily for dead X-Men now makes me picture a Sentinel showing up during the service, with Storm flying up and yelling at it to please be respectful and leave them alone during the ceremony, we will be more than happy to engage you after this is finished, thank you very much. By the way, we do apologize, but he was Catholic, so this will be a while. "ALL RIGHT. *WHIRR* *SITS QUIETLY*"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ManiacClown posted:

Sort of, except I'm imagining the character actually having been dead. The character gets killed, they arrange the funeral the next day at 1:00 (the time they keep open for funerals), and by then the character's already been resurrected somehow. They show up because they know it's funeral time and SOMEBODY must have died (absentmindedly forgetting "Oh, it was me"), so when the open invitation comes the character volunteers, figuring "Eh, I may as well get it out of the way" and then looks over at the picture (which others had conveniently been in the way of) to see, "Oh, that's right! I died!"

Of course, me imagining an appointed time set aside daily for dead X-Men now makes me picture a Sentinel showing up during the service, with Storm flying up and yelling at it to please be respectful and leave them alone during the ceremony, we will be more than happy to engage you after this is finished, thank you very much. By the way, we do apologize, but he was Catholic, so this will be a while. "ALL RIGHT. *WHIRR* *SITS QUIETLY*"

Better then when the sentinel came and tried to interrupt shiva.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah (and thanks to rotinaj for linking it.) In my defence I had that idea years before Hollywood used it. Much like my idea of having characters die in a freak gasoline fight accident years before Zoolander came out.)

I think my overall idea for a JSA storyline was in an absurdest humour way. Like I think I wanted the run to have Hawkman die at the start of the run, and have Hawkman show up in the funeral the next issue. But apart from that,go through the usual comic tropes with a dead hero for Hawkman (have other characters feel depressed over his death, have a statute erected to his memory, etc...) All the while, Hawkman is just THERE in the comic.
Then near the end of the run, Hawkman would come back from the dead to help the heroes win a huge climactic battle. And then just have two Hawkmen on the team....with absolutely no comment from anyone.

Somebody please write and draw this comic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

John Constantine showed up at his own funeral.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Davros1 posted:

John Constantine showed up at his own funeral.

And Superman gave the eulogy at his own funeral

Or was that two Supermen showed up to Supergirl's funeral?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Just saw this posted over in the Kingdom Hearts megathread in Games, felt it was worth sharing:

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

W.T. Fits posted:

Just saw this posted over in the Kingdom Hearts megathread in Games, felt it was worth sharing:

Just to make sure we get all four pages...

(it shows up in the Badass Panels thread all the time, and rightly so.)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Another heartbreaking moment from the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, Scrooge decides that being rich is better than being happy:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, it's not like being rich will make sunny days less bright.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

WickedHate posted:

Well, it's not like being rich will make sunny days less bright.

Spoilers it totally does. Life and Times is so good, everyone should read it at least once.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Gavok posted:

You just know "Norwegian Wood" is Johnny's favorite Beatles song.

<slow clap>

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Spoilers it totally does.

Pretty much:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Original Sin: Hulk vs. Iron Man #4. The miniseries has been about Banner discovering that Stark fiddled with the gamma bomb back in the day, presumably causing the Hulk to exist. Stark did a lot of drinking back then, so he wasn't so sure what the truth was, but ultimately found that his messing with the bomb prevented it from being a lot worse. Cooler heads prevail.

Science bros :unsmith:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Boy this isn't the conversation I'd expect between the Hulk and the guy who shot him into space.

Still a nice moment though. :unsmith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Have Tony and Bruce always been science bros or are they trying to capitalize from their scenes in Avengers?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Little of column A, a lot of column B.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man it's moments like that that almost make me want to get back into reading Marvel, and then I remember that comics like the really crappy and grim-derp Incursion exist and I go back to not giving a drat about Marvel 616 as they ruin my Suspension of Disbelief and I'm one of those people who care about continuity too much to ignore them(this has been a problem for me since Morrison's X-Men run and Avengers Dissassembled/House of M/Decimation, so it's been a long time since I consistently enjoyed modern Marvel)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wait, so a single comic book that you don't enjoy happening without you reading it is enough to ruin your enjoyment of the entire universe, regardless of how nothing it has to do with that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Man it's moments like that that almost make me want to get back into reading Marvel, and then I remember that comics like the really crappy and grim-derp Incursion exist and I go back to not giving a drat about Marvel 616 as they ruin my Suspension of Disbelief and I'm one of those people who care about continuity too much to ignore them(this has been a problem for me since Morrison's X-Men run and Avengers Dissassembled/House of M/Decimation, so it's been a long time since I consistently enjoyed modern Marvel)

Of all the things that could drive you away from marvel, New Avengers is the one that pushed you away? :monocle:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

drrockso20 posted:

Touching and inspiring.

Marvel's drat good right now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Of all the things that could drive you away from marvel, New Avengers is the one that pushed you away? :monocle:

Do you not remember how utterly reviled Disassembled and its fall out were back in the day, by certain aspects of the fandom? To this day there are groups of people who swear that Bendis' Avengers plans at Marvel were worse than the last 10 years of DC and OMD combined.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Spoilers it totally does. Life and Times is so good, everyone should read it at least once.
And then listen to the soundtrack because it's pretty amazing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Your comics reading experience is in serious need of some overhauling.

Why of all plotlines does the Incursion storyline ruin your "SoD"? What does grim-derp even mean? What does that have to do with any other Marvel comic? Why do you care about continuity SO MUCH that you can't even read and enjoy a million great comics Marvel is putting out? What about those comics you listed has to do with your grudge/obsession with continuity, anyway? You sound miserable, and I think you need to talk it out.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 11, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
"Grim-Dark" has become the go to phrase for a comic that is anything other than wacky adventures for a lot of people for some reason. There are people who loving hate the new Avengers comics and think they are literally destroying every character involved in them.

It's kinda absurd.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

"Grim-Dark" has become the go to phrase for a comic that is anything other than wacky adventures for a lot of people for some reason. There are people who loving hate the new Avengers comics and think they are literally destroying every character involved in them.

It's kinda absurd.

I have no problem with serious comics, it's just that when a serious comic is bad, it's often way worse than a bad non-serious comic and well there's a quote that sums up my problems with most modern superhero comics(this is from memory so I might not be getting it quite right); "Remember when comic book worlds were places you wanted to escape to, not from..."

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

drrockso20 posted:

I have no problem with serious comics, it's just that when a serious comic is bad, it's often way worse than a bad non-serious comic and well there's a quote that sums up my problems with most modern superhero comics(this is from memory so I might not be getting it quite right); "Remember when comic book worlds were places you wanted to escape to, not from..."

Sounds like you could use some continuity-free, all-ages stuff like Marvel Adventures, Power Pack, and my personal favorite, Thor: The Mighty Avenger.

I think the solo-B titles are light on continuity and offer a lot more variety than the big team/solo books. Even most of the event tie-ins don't derail their respective books, unlike in the Civil War/Secret Invasion/Dark Reign era.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 11, 2014

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Sounds like you could use some continuity-free, all-ages stuff like Marvel Adventures, Power Pack, and my personal favorite, Thor: The Mighty Avenger.

I think the solo-B titles are light on continuity and offer a lot more variety than the big team/solo books. Even most of the event tie-ins don't derail their respective books, unlike in the Civil War/Secret Invasion/Dark Reign era.

Yeah I know about that stuff, it's just that I love 616, and it irritates me that in the majority of stuff set there in the last decade plus the heroes just tend to come off as either not heroic at all or just plain incompetent if not both at the same time with only the occasional exception

Also Incursion pisses me off because it's ruining multiple characters I love(The Illuminati or at least it's members), and now I can't consider the 616 versions of them heroes anymore after what they did to Earth-4290001, they are now pretty much full blown villains in spite of whatever they do in the future, considering they were complicit in the death of an entire inhabited alternate Earth

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I know about that stuff, it's just that I love 616, and it irritates me that in the majority of stuff set there in the last decade plus the heroes just tend to come off as either not heroic at all or just plain incompetent if not both at the same time with only the occasional exception

Also Incursion pisses me off because it's ruining multiple characters I love(The Illuminati or at least it's members), and now I can't consider the 616 versions of them heroes anymore after what they did to Earth-4290001, they are now pretty much full blown villains in spite of whatever they do in the future, considering they were complicit in the death of an entire inhabited alternate Earth

You seriously think Hickman is going to walk away from this without redeeming them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

You seriously think Hickman is going to walk away from this without redeeming them?

Oh I know they'll end up saving the day one way or another, but still in my opinion this ruins any credibility in considering them heroes, unless this arc ends in Timey-Wimey stuff to undo this whole arc