Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I kinda fell into some GenCon tickets, so I'll be there.

I am interested in meeting some "familiar" faces, but this will be my first time at GenCon, so I'll be a bit "deer in headlights" all week.

So... aside from the useful OP, anyone have any pointers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

OmegaGoo posted:

I am interested in meeting some "familiar" faces, but this will be my first time at GenCon, so I'll be a bit "deer in headlights" all week.

There's going to be an unwashed nerd smell. It probably isn't you.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

It's a good thing I don't have a sense of smell then!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

OmegaGoo posted:

The video game room is actually a pretty cool play to kill time between events, but I say that as someone who plays fighting games - I imagine it's decidedly less cool otherwise.

Have a buddy with you when you go to demo games, it makes the whole experience a lot less intimidating and sometimes partners are required for certain games anyway.

Bring a game to the con in a backpack or something with your snacks, but make sure it's one you're comfortable teaching (granted, to people who breathe board games). It isn't hard to find random goons or other people to play a game with, and everyone loves learning something new.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is that chat app we used last year to coordinate goon shenanigans going to be open again? It seemed to work out last year.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Len posted:

Is that chat app we used last year to coordinate goon shenanigans going to be open again? It seemed to work out last year.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606988&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post432340050

Countblanc posted:

The video game room is actually a pretty cool play to kill time between events, but I say that as someone who plays fighting games - I imagine it's decidedly less cool otherwise.

The Rock Band setup is pretty good. :)

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

camoseven posted:

I was wondering how long it would take you to point this out :lol: I have never been there and as a non-meat-eater the food does not appeal to me, but other goons should go and eat there and get drunk and puke in the bathroom wait what is going on

I am a tad bit predictable aren't I...

But seriously that list is really good and I recomend you guys try them out. We are really pretty spoiled in Indianapolis when it comes to god beer. Then you have the added bonus of being far enough away from that there will be a much shorter wait AND you get better beer then you will get at the RAM.

OmegaGoo posted:

* Try and spend a good part of a day just checking out the dealer room. If you can do this on Thursday it's even better since it's the slowest day. There will be all sorts of things the look at and demo and it's very easy to just spend a whole day in there.

* Look through the events list online, search up games that you enjoy playing, and see if anything jumps out at you. This can be everything from tournaments to super sized games, etc.

* Make sure you take time to get some sleep/eat/drink/shower. Doing these things will make your experiance a better one.

* The GroupMe app is a really good way to keep in touch with us and find open spots to check out some games or to just grab food with people, because eating alone sucks.

Backno fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 31, 2014

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Backno posted:

* The GroupMe app is a really good way to keep in touch with us and find open spots to check out some games or to just grab food with people, because eating alone sucks.

Eating alone is awesome :colbert:. No wait even in the most crowded of places, quicker service at the bar, and you can either decompress on your own while eating and having a beer or talk about the con with the total strangers on either side of you who are likely also Gen Con attendees

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

OmegaGoo posted:

HEY EVERYBODY I HAVE SOME POINTERS

GO TO GEN-CON

oh you have that one down

Uh

Go to the Auction and the Exhibition Hall (stories on the official forums of people not knowing about the former are sad enough, but not knowing about the latter is extra-terrible since it is such a huge part). Sleep enough to not pass out during the day. Eat a big breakfast and go to dinner before the hall closes (or hours after). Do not overbook yourself--subjective, yes, but be sure to give yourself free time. There will be many opportunities for spontaneous fun. Go to whatever Goon meet-up we have on Wednesday night. Bring as much cash as you can justify, as many vendors (particularly noteworthy: the Auction!) will charge you the credit processing fee if you use a card. Enjoy yourself every possible way you can. This is the best four days of the year, not time for worrying about anything else in your life. It is time to meet new friends, see old friends, or just wander around by yourself but feel welcomed regardless. Take in every single thing you can, and soak up the best gaming ambiance in the world. HAVE FUN, KICK rear end, EVANGELIZE FOR GEN-CON, AND NEVER LOOK BACK.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

OmegaGoo posted:

If you want to wast an hour of your life listening to some nerds talk about Gen Con tips then my podcast recorded an episode for Gen Con tips.

If you don't then I'd just recommending hitting Games on Demand at least once, plan to spend way too much money in the dealer hall, and don't buy food or drinks in the convention center. Walk out to the food trucks or the mall.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

OmegaGoo posted:

You should come to the First Annual Goon Beer Tour, I hear it's gonna be pretty cool.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

What time would the goon meet-up be on Wednesday? I'm actually going with a decently large group myself, and we have plans for dinner on Wed.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
The downside of getting Wyrd to buy my badge, I have to do food and drinks with the Wednesday :unsmith:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Just got off the phone with friends over at Cryptozoic and found out I'll be helping them out with running retail at their booth a couple hours a day due to some sudden staffing shortages at the con. So if you see a dude running the register at any point, come say hi, and buy a deck-builder or something. :)

TWOWEEKSOMGOMGOMG

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, the hotel room I thought I had is not the hotel room that I have. Finding out now is a bit of a problem, as one might imagine.

I'm inquiring to see if anybody is willing to have a fellow goon crash in their room. I'm willing to pay my share for a room, plus a little extra. I don't snore that I'm told of and am fine with crashing on the floor. I have my own ride to tool around in. Meeting up when necessary can be coordinated by cell. I'm looking to show up Wednesday evening if feasible. Goon and non-goon references can be provided. I clean myself like a civilized person and have no beard on my neck and no fedora on my head. (It's okay if you have either, tho.) I care too much about Palladium Books but am otherwise pretty inoffensive.

If anybody can help and is comfortable with doing so, please me know here or by PM.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

camoseven posted:

People that can't make the start are more than welcome to catch up with us later. If NO ONE can make the start, then... I dunno. We can push it back an hour, but the breweries all close at 7 so the later we start the more rushed we'll be!

Aw crap, I will still be balls-deep in Netrunner at 7. Maybe I will crash out early and can join in. Or maybe you all will go on somewhere.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So, the hotel room I thought I had is not the hotel room that I have. Finding out now is a bit of a problem, as one might imagine.

I'm inquiring to see if anybody is willing to have a fellow goon crash in their room. I'm willing to pay my share for a room, plus a little extra. I don't snore that I'm told of and am fine with crashing on the floor. I have my own ride to tool around in. Meeting up when necessary can be coordinated by cell. I'm looking to show up Wednesday evening if feasible. Goon and non-goon references can be provided. I clean myself like a civilized person and have no beard on my neck and no fedora on my head. (It's okay if you have either, tho.) I care too much about Palladium Books but am otherwise pretty inoffensive.

If anybody can help and is comfortable with doing so, please me know here or by PM.

I'll talk to the guy in charge of our room tonight and see what he says. If anyone gets in touch with you before then give an update

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

saint gerald posted:

Aw crap, I will still be balls-deep in Netrunner at 7. Maybe I will crash out early and can join in. Or maybe you all will go on somewhere.

Well the bars we are going to will be open after 7, it's the just breweries that we have a time limit on

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It sounds like the rest of my buddies and my roommate won't be in until later on Wednesday, so if there's something going on Wed early evening, I'd love to join.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
So I just realized I have never done any of the sit-n-go MTG drafts at GenCon. I'm assuming I'll need generics for that? Or can I just bring a fat stack of cash and dump it in the toilet?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
8one6 I am listening to the Gen-Con tips show RIGHT NOW!!!!!

!!!!!!!!

Good first tip being anti-harassment.

Peas and Rice posted:

It sounds like the rest of my buddies and my roommate won't be in until later on Wednesday, so if there's something going on Wed early evening, I'd love to join.
Awesome, we can finally meet for the 200th time! For real though I will be looking for Goon Fun Times for sure and will bring at least two of my buddies who despite having known about as long as you I imagine you do not know.

And everyone join the Group.Me thing because it is great

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Len posted:

I'll talk to the guy in charge of our room tonight and see what he says. If anyone gets in touch with you before then give an update

Alright, will do.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

camoseven posted:

So I just realized I have never done any of the sit-n-go MTG drafts at GenCon. I'm assuming I'll need generics for that? Or can I just bring a fat stack of cash and dump it in the toilet?

Yes, they only take generic tickets. There's usually a booth somewhere in or near the TCG hall that sells them, so if you didn't order any with your event tickets, you don't have to go to the main registration line to get them. (They used to take payment at the event registration desk, but I think they're doing away with it this year to keep the lines moving.)

If you're drafting, they'll just ask you to stand to the side, since those fire pretty much constantly. If you're signing up for one of the win-a-box events or another on-demand event, they'll give you a pager for when your event starts.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

camoseven posted:

Well the bars we are going to will be open after 7, it's the just breweries that we have a time limit on

Sweet. I will catch you up with some Marvel of Technology or other.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Someone should add the GroupMe info to the OP.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is a good idea for someone. I genuinely forgot who that someone would be for about ten seconds. Let me see if I can figure this out on my phone before break ends!

Edit: Yeses. There we go. Though when updating it I remembered the second post was initially reserved for Goon events. I should probably figure out how many official events we even have this year. And call the Colts Grille to see if they are doing nerd trivia. Unless you want to do that, G0ff Boyz Rude B0yz.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 1, 2014

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I should probably mention I'm totally going to be going to this. I only scheduled to play some 18XX stuff early to mid Thursday; other than that I'm hoping people will be around for GAMES.

I'm going to be stupid again and bring board games; hopefully some of you gents will be interested!

EDIT: And seriously if anyone is interested in a meetup for some slightly longer and/or more complicated board games there's a few on my shelf that are screaming to be played.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 1, 2014

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I am desperate to play some Archipelago

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

That is a good idea for someone. I genuinely forgot who that someone would be for about ten seconds. Let me see if I can figure this out on my phone before break ends!

Edit: Yeses. There we go. Though when updating it I remembered the second post was initially reserved for Goon events. I should probably figure out how many official events we even have this year. And call the Colts Grille to see if they are doing nerd trivia. Unless you want to do that, G0ff Boyz Rude B0yz.

OK I'm in your crazy Group Me thing, I can't wait for my phone to vibrate at 3am with some crazy poo poo.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Trynant posted:

I should probably mention I'm totally going to be going to this. I only scheduled to play some 18XX stuff early to mid Thursday; other than that I'm hoping people will be around for GAMES.

I'm going to be stupid again and bring board games; hopefully some of you gents will be interested!

EDIT: And seriously if anyone is interested in a meetup for some slightly longer and/or more complicated board games there's a few on my shelf that are screaming to be played.

Are you just doing the generic 18xx event? I'll show up to that and play a round of something with you as long as you didn't sign up for the period around the Exhibit Hall opening. Alternatively, if you want me to bring my 18OE because you think we could find another one or two people crazy enough to do a scenario, let me know. I am also of course up for any long complicated board games depending on my schedule.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Trynant posted:

gently caress yeah dude, I'm pretty much free all weekend so I'm down. I rarely even get medium weight games to the table lately, I am so up for Archipelago.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Trynant posted:

I will play literally any games. I don't have any plans at all except for getting drunk nightly with the guys I'm going with and possibly some magic tournaments.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Peas and Rice posted:

OK I'm in your crazy Group Me thing, I can't wait for my phone to vibrate at 3am with some crazy poo poo.
YEssssssss

I think GroupMe is part of why I finally decided to put my phone on silent, admittedly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I want to play a lot of Yomi but I think I'll be the only person in Indy who actually likes it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Would any of you be willing to run a Shadowrun one shot? I can bring at least two people with me maybe three if you are.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I want to play a lot of Yomi but I think I'll be the only person in Indy who actually likes it

My well-played copy disagrees.

I'm definitely bringing archipelago and would like to play 18OE if poker chips are around. I also have a few Splotter games, High Frontier, and other crazy stuff that I love to play.

Also, any BattleCON fans? I'm interested in games of that as well.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 2, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm not in love with BattleCON but I'd definitely play it if it's on the table in front of me. I've been trying to get some more play out of my copy at my local group since I went a bit ham when I bought it (full Devastation box, Strikers, alt/KS characters, individual plastic bags for each character) and didn't end up using it much.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Trynant posted:

My well-played copy disagrees.

I'm definitely bringing archipelago and would like to play 18OE if poker chips are around. I also have a few Splitter games, High Frontier, and other crazy stuff that I love to play.

Also, any BattleCON fans? I'm interested in games of that as well.

I would play any of those - especially High Frontier since I've been wanting to play that forever.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I'm not in love with BattleCON but I'd definitely play it if it's on the table in front of me. I've been trying to get some more play out of my copy at my local group since I went a bit ham when I bought it (full Devastation box, Strikers, alt/KS characters, individual plastic bags for each character) and didn't end up using it much.

Good enough! I have all that ham plus war...I hear ya.

blackmongoose posted:

I would play any of those - especially High Frontier since I've been wanting to play that forever.

I have the Colonization expansion for High Frontier, which while fairly longer I would highly recommend because it kind of 'completes' the game if not outright creates a whole new experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I love BattleCON and will probably at least pack a few characters in my bag, and Pixel Tactics too.

• Locked thread