Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

bowmore posted:

I'm not! I pretty much getting it purely for Mario Kart and everything else is a bonus.

I never played any of the Wii games either so I still have Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and the rest of the good stuff on there to play.

Definitely pick up Super Mario Galaxy. I'm kind of on the side of the poster with the cute little babby avatar, in that I think Mario 3D World is a "tick" while Galaxy is a giant "tock." Except, I do like 3D World.

If you really, really like Galaxy and want more, 2 is debatably a little better, but still like $40+ used. Maybe you can find it cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

enojy posted:

If you really, really like Galaxy and want more, 2 is debatably a little better, but still like $40+ used. Maybe you can find it cheaper.

I would say Super Mario Galaxy 2 blows the first game out of the water, honestly.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

enojy posted:

Definitely pick up Super Mario Galaxy. I'm kind of on the side of the poster with the cute little babby avatar, in that I think Mario 3D World is a "tick" while Galaxy is a giant "tock." Except, I do like 3D World.

I also liked both games quite a lot, but I think I like 3D World better. One of the main reasons for that in my case is I didn't care for all the pointless waggling in SMG as well as having to collect star bits by aiming the wiimote.

I'd totally buy a Wii U version of both SMG games just to be able to play it with controls designed for gamepad.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

JordanKai posted:

I would say Super Mario Galaxy 2 blows the first game out of the water, honestly.

For this reason, play them in order.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

enojy posted:

You should be able to find Mario Galaxy 2 for around $30 online.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Did Galaxy 2 have as much pointing of the remote to collect stars as Galaxy 1 did? I hated that.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't mind the star pointing as much as I did the waggling when you wanted to do a higher jump. Also mario not being able to turn around as fast to do a quick flip a la sunshine/64 was annoying.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

gay skull posted:

Did Galaxy 2 have as much pointing of the remote to collect stars as Galaxy 1 did? I hated that.

Yeah but thankfully there's a pretty easy way to grind starbits as long as you don't mind that.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Are wii motes and classic controllers hard to come by in stores now? I need them because I never had a wii and I want to play what I missed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lucinice posted:

Are wii motes and classic controllers hard to come by in stores now? I need them because I never had a wii and I want to play what I missed.

Wiimotes are still in production, Classic Controllers have been discontinued which is dumb because it kind of locks you out of a huge chunk of the Wii Shop Channel's library until that stuff gets moved up to the Wii U eShop.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I don't understand how someone can dislike the Galaxy games but like 3D World or vice versa. The Galaxy games were much closer to 3D World than 64/Sunshine. The majority of the levels in the Galaxy games (pretty much every level in 2) were linear point-a-to-point-b obstacle course style levels, just like 3D World. The only difference is Galaxy hid this a bit with the planets and other space aesthetics, where you felt like you could go off in all directions even though you were still on a pretty much direct track through the level. Also the games still used the "Mission" structure of 64/Sunshine where you revisit the same world multiple times, but the dirty secret is that each Mission was basically a new level and would gate you off to a completely different linear path through the level.

The weird exceptions like that Big Tree level in Galaxy 1 (which gets reused as Big Autumn Tree level later in the game for some baffling reason) were definitely the worst levels in the games, and I say that as someone that also likes the 64/Sunshine exploration-style platformer.

And collecting Starbits with the Wiimote was great because it gave my fidgety hands something to do during the slower parts of the game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Lucinice posted:

The cheapest way to get these is refurbished at store.nintendo.com. Note that they may take a while depending on the demand. Took them 3 weeks to ship mine, and I had it out with the customer service people (they were very nice, but I kept getting the same answer for weeks). If you don't need them immediately, I'd go that direction, but again, bear in mind that it may take a while.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo's online store got a lot shakier service-wise since they revamped it a couple months back. It used to be really quick and easy to order from them and get it fast. Now people regularly seem to experience late shipments and inconsistent order status reporting.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

mancalamania posted:

I don't understand how someone can dislike the Galaxy games but like 3D World or vice versa. The Galaxy games were much closer to 3D World than 64/Sunshine. The majority of the levels in the Galaxy games (pretty much every level in 2) were linear point-a-to-point-b obstacle course style levels, just like 3D World. The only difference is Galaxy hid this a bit with the planets and other space aesthetics, where you felt like you could go off in all directions even though you were still on a pretty much direct track through the level. Also the games still used the "Mission" structure of 64/Sunshine where you revisit the same world multiple times, but the dirty secret is that each Mission was basically a new level and would gate you off to a completely different linear path through the level.

The weird exceptions like that Big Tree level in Galaxy 1 (which gets reused as Big Autumn Tree level later in the game for some baffling reason) were definitely the worst levels in the games, and I say that as someone that also likes the 64/Sunshine exploration-style platformer.

And collecting Starbits with the Wiimote was great because it gave my fidgety hands something to do during the slower parts of the game.

Yeah, I agree 110%. I think someone would have been pissed off about a new Mario game either way.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I like the Galaxy games better than 3D World mostly because I feel I have more free control with Mario regarding his move set and am able to do more with him, whereas in World the 8-way movement and gimped somersault take some of the finesse away. It's still a fantastic game but World feels a bit more confined than Galaxy.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Louisgod posted:

I like the Galaxy games better than 3D World mostly because I feel I have more free control with Mario regarding his move set and am able to do more with him, whereas in World the 8-way movement and gimped somersault take some of the finesse away. It's still a fantastic game but World feels a bit more confined than Galaxy.

Exactly this. 3D World is fantastic, but I do like how Mario controls a lot more in the Galaxy games.

I also loved the Wiimote + Nunchuck setup, since not having to hold my hands close together is super comfortable.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
See, I'm the opposite. I use the D-Pad when I play 3D World, and I love it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Louisgod posted:

I see that point, but I feel like the more limited movement for the characters in 3D World worked for me. One problem I've always had with 3D Mario games is that most enemies feel non-threatening if you just ignore them and 3D World has a lot of spots where enemies pose real danger. If they could achieve a balance and have threatening enemies and Galaxy-style movement in a future game that would be even better.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Zack_Gochuck posted:

See, I'm the opposite. I use the D-Pad when I play 3D World, and I love it.

Honestly I think it works well for the isometric view (and sometimes 2D view) and the blocky setup the levels have, so the levels have basically been designed to conform to those controls and in turn feel perfectly fine. Same with the Galaxy games and the 360 movement but again, for me, the Galaxy controls just felt more freeing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The genre of platforming collectathon is dead, sorry bud.
Lego City is supposedly good for the collectathon part of the equation at least.

mancalamania posted:

In terms of platforming/level design, yeah Galaxy is more akin to 3D World, but still had that mission structure/progression and collection aspect to it. I played 2 for a bit before 3DW and the latter bugged me since it all just felt like unnecessary collectathon filler.

Outside of the levels 3DW streamlined the feel of the interface a bunch, even if it's technically only a few saved button presses. Like walk up to a level and hit A vs walk/jump to switch, select planet, select mission, confirm. Then after a level…well you still had a stupid modal save complete dialog in 3DW, but I think Galaxy 2 had counters for coins then starbits then the save. All that stuff between levels became tedious quickly.

13/f/cali posted:

I see that point, but I feel like the more limited movement for the characters in 3D World worked for me. One problem I've always had with 3D Mario games is that most enemies feel non-threatening if you just ignore them and 3D World has a lot of spots where enemies pose real danger. If they could achieve a balance and have threatening enemies and Galaxy-style movement in a future game that would be even better.
Actually this is another thing I noticed, and it came up in 3DW when you get Rosalina. The spin attack (and punch in 64, water gun in Sunshine?) seemed to compensate for the difficulty with 3D jumping, it makes it easier to deal with enemies cause you don't have to jump at all for some vs jumping being the only method (without powerups) in 2D Mario games and 3DW. Rosalina feels overpowered at times cause she can just run up and spin attack instead of needing to get your jumps right.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The genre of platforming collectathon is dead, sorry bud.

Assassin's creed black flag.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

japtor posted:

Actually this is another thing I noticed, and it came up in 3DW when you get Rosalina. The spin attack (and punch in 64, water gun in Sunshine?) seemed to compensate for the difficulty with 3D jumping, it makes it easier to deal with enemies cause you don't have to jump at all for some vs jumping being the only method (without powerups) in 2D Mario games and 3DW. Rosalina feels overpowered at times cause she can just run up and spin attack instead of needing to get your jumps right.

That's definitely one thing that bothered me because I played so much of NSMBU (~25 hours and 100%) and the mid-air spin that lets you hang for just that extra half second uses the R button. So I'll get into a sticky situation in 3DW, and hit the R button to hang in the air just a bit longer, and it does the exact opposite making you ground pound and I inevitably die.

Edit: I almost exclusively use Peach because of this.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Just saw that Megaman Battle Network is on the Wii U virtual console, is that game any good?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Davinci posted:

Just saw that Megaman Battle Network is on the Wii U virtual console, is that game any good?

It's more a proof of concept, really. 2, 3, 5 and 6 are the ones worth playing so I'd say wait for those.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bullshit. I'll fight you.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dammit.

Through a dumb accident I broke my Wii U tablet. How painless is it to get it replaced? I know you cannot buy them retail yet.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

SettingSun posted:

Dammit.

Through a dumb accident I broke my Wii U tablet. How painless is it to get it replaced? I know you cannot buy them retail yet.
Call Nintendo and they'll tell you how much it costs to get repaired, you mail it in then they fix it or send you a refurbished one.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Do you think we will get a game that flows with the
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy II

type of Mario game? 3D World, Single Player, great graphics, big open worlds.

I really want another Super Mario Galaxy like game; they are the true Mario games as far as I am concerned. The 2D/2Dish stuff is okay and even fun, but I can't get enough of the real 3D Mario games! I really hope one is in the works for the Wii U.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SettingSun posted:

Dammit.

Please explain how you broke it. :allears:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spectacle Rock posted:

Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy II

I really want another Super Mario Galaxy like game; they are the true Mario games as far as I am concerned. The 2D/2Dish stuff is okay and even fun, but I can't get enough of the real 3D Mario games! I really hope one is in the works for the Wii U.
The Galaxy games are a lot closer to 3D Land/World than 64, definitely wouldn't say most of the levels are "big open worlds". But no, the NSMB style games are more popular so right now that's what they're making.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Spectacle Rock posted:

Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy II

I thought I heard the team the Galaxy team was working on something they havent announced anything yet though

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Speaking of cheap games, Amazon has Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut for like 15 bucks and change.

As someone who played the non-directors cut PC version, is it a good port and worth double dipping for, or should I stick with the PC version sitting on my Steam account?
I have to throw my 2 cents in whenever anyone asks about Deus Ex HR in this thread.
I never played any of the other Deus Ex games, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing Human Revolution on WiiU. It's not flawless but I never found anything that ruined the game and I'm about halfway through newgame+, pretty sure I'll make it to the end again.
You could probably just stick with the PC version to be honest, but if you want to spend some time with your gamepad go right ahead

Going back to DKCTF, one thing that really impressed me was just if you crouched on the edge of a platform Donkey Kong would curl his fingers around the edge.
I never played DKR so maybe it's not even new, but it was a nice little touch.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Alteisen posted:

And also let us know what they quote you in terms of price, because you won't be the last asking this question.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Holy poo poo Mega Man Battle Network. I played the (third?) game compulsively when I was young. Like, the cartrage broke from overuse, and yet somehow I never actually beat the game. I uhh... I might have to go and play this. Is it really bad? Is it going to be really bad? I mean, I can deal with really bad, just not... reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad, if you catch my drift.

Also I think there were some collectathon levels in Mario 3D World. The one's where you have a large area and have to collect keys, kind of like the levels in Galaxy 2 where you had to do that. I think it's weird to see people compare Galaxy 1 and 2 since I think their design is noticably different. The first game had a lot more free roaming, with the purple coin levels in the new game + and stuff like the bee galaxy being pretty open for the most part. Galaxy 2 feels more like an obstacle course, although both games have their fair share of both style of levels.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Spectacle Rock posted:

Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy II

They might as well make it a Wario (Bros) game. Exploration, collecting, and melee attacks would fit right in then.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bef posted:

I didn't mind the star pointing as much as I did the waggling when you wanted to do a higher jump. Also mario not being able to turn around as fast to do a quick flip a la sunshine/64 was annoying.

I really don't understand the waggle complaints for Galaxy. (Hey guys waggle right? WAGGLE) Sounds like a floppy dick or something. It's just a tiny flick of the wrist. Nothing has to flop around and waggle.

It felt really natural to me and was (I thought) one of the best and actually good uses of motion controls. I understand how not everyone likes the same thing, but I don't understand the waggle complaint.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Trent posted:

I really don't understand the waggle complaints for Galaxy. (Hey guys waggle right? WAGGLE) Sounds like a floppy dick or something. It's just a tiny flick of the wrist. Nothing has to flop around and waggle.

It felt really natural to me and was (I thought) one of the best and actually good uses of motion controls. I understand how not everyone likes the same thing, but I don't understand the waggle complaint.

I liked it because it meant that effectively, you could have one hand on three buttons. The jump button with your thumb, the B button for shooting star bits, and then a shake of the wrist to spin. It's mindless, and really easy to process. People complain that motion control ended up just being a button prompt, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

E: VVVV This I disagree with entirely

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 31, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Trent posted:

The complaint with waggle is always "Why isn't this a button?" And it's a usually a valid complaint because a button press is a simpler and more reliable motion.

It works well enough in Galaxy that I don't mind it, but having the spin on a button would definitely be preferable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Alteisen posted:

My cat knocked over the tv tray I left the tablet on and it fell touchscreen first onto the corner of a plastic crate. Now the screen has a noticeable dent and when I turn it on all I get is corrupted snow.

Don't worry guys I'll give a bunch of details about how the replacement process goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

japtor posted:

Lego City is supposedly good for the collectathon part of the equation at least.

It's more of a sandbox/mission based game like GTA

• Locked thread