Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
EA Access got revealed as a Netflix-like service and blah blah blah the relevant thing here is "you can download upcoming EA games five days before the release date to play for a limited time". I'm assuming that essentially equates to a demo, for all intents and purposes, only it's EA Access only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Sentinel Red posted:

Question about the Warden: was it ever mentioned/suggested that they could be out of the Joining death sentence thing if they drank the blood Avernus created? Given Avernus didn't seem to be too bothered by it all after 100 years plus, etc. You can imagine the other Wardens thinking "what the gently caress is it with them?" if they survived killing the Archdemon and later made it to their 40th anniversary or some poo poo...

I dunno, but if it's this mean bugger who put down an Archdemon and got them to stay down, I don't care if they're a mutant Warden or not a Warden at all, I keep my mouth bloody shut.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

EA Access got revealed as a Netflix-like service and blah blah blah the relevant thing here is "you can download upcoming EA games five days before the release date to play for a limited time". I'm assuming that essentially equates to a demo, for all intents and purposes, only it's EA Access only.

As dumb as nearly every part of that sounds (5 day early access! ...for 2 hours) that sounds I suppose any progress toward consumers not being beholden to another company being beholden to a retailer in a world where physical software is increasingly uncommon is somewhat of an okay thing. I think that qualifies as forward progress anyways, maybe half a baby step :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sagnid posted:

I was concerned with controls and the ui being more controller friendly then keyboard.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Theyve been showing off the console versions because its easier to play at shows with a controller, but I think at E3 they said theres a custom PC UI with the skillbar and all that like 1 & 2.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The combat looks really choppy to me but maybe that's normal for gameplay videos on YouTube.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

steakmancer posted:

I just want to play as a dwarven Danny DeVito you guys
As long as I get to say hooore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC7hZY3sVxE

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Sentinel Red posted:

Christ, I'm actually starting to feel sorry for Alistair now, life seems to lie and poo poo on his chips every chance it gets.

Question about the Warden: was it ever mentioned/suggested that they could be out of the Joining death sentence thing if they drank the blood Avernus created? Given Avernus didn't seem to be too bothered by it all after 100 years plus, etc. You can imagine the other Wardens thinking "what the gently caress is it with them?" if they survived killing the Archdemon and later made it to their 40th anniversary or some poo poo...

What's stopping the Warden from going, "Ah poo poo, guess it's time for me head off for the deep roads before I get all crazy and poo poo," and then just gently caress off somewhere no one will find them and retire from all this grey warden bullshit? Hell they could probably even fight the darkspawn for a while until they get bored of it, just for shits and giggles.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
No one would even recognize him/her without a stupid hat and the blood of his enemies all over him/her!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dash Magnum posted:

What's stopping the Warden from going, "Ah poo poo, guess it's time for me head off for the deep roads before I get all crazy and poo poo," and then just gently caress off somewhere no one will find them and retire from all this grey warden bullshit? Hell they could probably even fight the darkspawn for a while until they get bored of it, just for shits and giggles.

Also the way protagonists in these games are super powerful at the end it would make for a hilarious story: "Yeah the PC Grey Warden did the Deep Roads thing and now there aren't enough Dark Spawn for the other Grey Wardens for the next 50 years!"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Are the darkspawn even going to be around in DA3 because it seems like they lost interest

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Are the darkspawn even going to be around in DA3 because it seems like they lost interest

If there's deep roads content there will definitely be darkspawn, and there's some weird stuff with them from previous games that'll probably come up. I'd also imagine there might be some holdout groups in Ferelden still. They'll probably be about as common as they were in DA2, since by design they're only a big deal during a Blight.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They've shown a new type too. Giants or some such.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Well, the plan for the franchise was that you'd have all these different stories. It wasn't always going to be the story of Grey Wardens versus Darkspawn stuff, that was just the setting for the first game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

And the Darkspawn were a relatively small part of Dragon Age 2, so we'll just have to see if they're tied to all the crazy rifts in the sky. Maybe that super smart one is up to no good.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
From PC Gamer UK this month:

About Skyhold:

"It’s detailed, cavernous, but more importantly, there’s more stuff you can do in Skyhold than on Commander Shepard’s ship. Past the tavern, stables, courtyard, kitchen, and dungeon (for imprisoning people, not slaying rats, I learn), I step to the War Table. Here, a dozen or so operation markers populate a world map: scouting missions, a task to gain the friendship of the dwarven kingdom of Orzammar or to recruit an arcanist. You complete these micro-quests entirely through the menu, and they grant modest benefits: gold, loot, resources, or adding more ‘agents’ who join the Inquisition."

"… part of playing Inquisitor means decorating Skyhold manually: everything from the windows, throne, banner, and heraldry to the drapes can be swapped in a menu."

There’s also a long section on how the Inquisition can “pass judgement” on certain people as a result of quests - the example they gave was dealing with a barbarian tribe [Knight-Enchanter’s note: I would guess these are Avvar!] after defeating their leader in battle. The judgement sequences come after some story events and offer the player a way to reflect on what just happened.

"Laidlaw underlines the value on getting players to look backward rather than simply anticipating the next quest. “Inquisition, moreso than many of our other games, takes a moment to just ask ‘how you feeling?’ and have characters dig into why you did what you did. And to try to understand the Inquisitor’s mind. And they’re some of my favourite moments in the game,” he says."

"Some operations, like this one, are instantly resolved, but others ask you to pick which of your three advisors – Josephine (political), Cullen (military), or Leliana (spying) – is the right fit for the job, making them temporarily unavailable. You can visit with all three of these support characters inside Skyhold.

Also nestled into the War Table (but separated from operations) are Inquisition perks, which draw on influence that you gain from exploring Thedas and completing quests. (If power is “Inquisition gold,” as Darrah puts it, influence is Inquisition XP, effectively.) There are four perk types: Forces, Secrets, Connections, and simply ‘Inquisition’, the first three of which are tied to the aforementioned advisors. A Forces perk might increase your potion capacity by four; a Secrets perk might increase the XP you earn from picking up codex entries; one Connections perk grants better merchant offers on rare items. Skyhold changes as a reflection of which perks you favour, although I wasn’t told how.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wait, please tell me there aren't any 'war assets' like in ME3.

That's not a thing, right?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Drifter posted:

Wait, please tell me there aren't any 'war assets' like in ME3.

That's not a thing, right?

As far as I see, it's more of a crafting/homesteading thing where you send goons out to do your bidding and they come back with goodies and/or xp and cash?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It sounds like a souped up version of the "missions" you can do in the Shadow Broker's lair in ME2.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

It sounds like a souped up version of the "missions" you can do in the Shadow Broker's lair in ME2.
A lot of the stuff seems to be pretty much lifted from the Stronghold questlines from Baldurs Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I like what I hear about things so far. It sounds kind of like what they tried in Awakening, but more robust and less buggy. After playing a entire game as Kirkwall's errand boy/girl, it's nice to get a sense of authority and agency.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I wouldn't even mind much if it was like ME3's war assets, so long as it actually affects the gameplay and/or story. Like, if you have X number of dwarf friends then you can do Y sorts of things. It's video-gamey, but hey it's a video game. The only thing the war assets did wrong was to affect absolutely nothing other than the ending colors.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

I wouldn't even mind much if it was like ME3's war assets, so long as it actually affects the gameplay and/or story. Like, if you have X number of dwarf friends then you can do Y sorts of things. It's video-gamey, but hey it's a video game. The only thing the war assets did wrong was to affect absolutely nothing other than the ending colors.

You're talking about 2 different things here. One is a nice gameplay system, the other was a lovely pseudo-system in Me3.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So is there a thread for Bioware's new urban fantasy game teaser bullshit? 'Cause they just posted a second one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
No, because it would have to include things, like, say, oh I don't know, maybe a link to the second teaser-trailer?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Linking to things? That's just crazy!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Megazver posted:

So is there a thread for Bioware's new urban fantasy game teaser bullshit? 'Cause they just posted a second one.

It's too early to put a thread. We know basically nothing about it beyond the fact that it's urban fantasy and they have some teasers out.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

They shouldn't have named it "Skyhold"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Why not?

Those teasers really remind me of that mmorpg thing, Secret World. WHich was a pretty fuckin' big disappointment because it was an mmo, so if this is like that, but singleplayer, Fair dues.

I hope they copy some of the quests and poo poo, because Secret World had some really great investigative quests when it wasn't throwing fetch quests and kill this many monsters quests.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Leelee posted:

Screenshot of an elven female mage from twitter.

I think it looks good.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffuck this dialog text

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CottonWolf posted:

I should certainly hope so. The civil war happening at the start of Inquisition was in no small part caused by someone producing a play implying the Empress had lesbian elf sex.

Does our Orlesian Voltaire have a name?

steakmancer posted:

fffffffffffffffffffffffffuck this dialog text

I really hope the accents are understandable, because that text could be incredibly painful to read if there's too much white or bloom.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crabtree posted:

Does our Orlesian Voltaire have a name?

I really hope the accents are understandable, because that text could be incredibly painful to read if there's too much white or bloom.

If there isn't an arrogant Orlesian noble twiddling his moustache with a throaty "au-hauhauhau" laugh I shall be deeply disappointed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of elf sex:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Seeing as I deleted my DA1 saves in disgust with DA2 / my reported (bugged I hope) 270 hours with DA1, never finished ME3, was too burnt out to start Awakening and have Witcher 3 on the horizon (and need to replay Witcher 2 or at least finish my Iorveth playthrough), this game has the deck stacked against it.

I'm sort of tempted to replay DA1 and try Awakening all the same, especially since I can do it on Origin where my friends won't see.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 1, 2014

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Shumagorath posted:

I'm sort of tempted to replay DA1 and try DA:O all the same, especially since I can do it on Origin where my friends won't see.

That is the same game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Whoops, meant Awakenings.

What was the justification for turning the Qunari into minotaurs? Was Sten retconned at all?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 1, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

What was the justification for turning the Qunari into minotaurs? Was Sten retconned at all?

Not sure if Sten's been retconned, but I'm pretty sure the Qunari were redesigned because BioWare wanted them to look more interesting than "big, gray humans."

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Shumagorath posted:

I vaguely remember reading after the retcon that Sten was a semi-rare hornless mutant or something. Not sure if that was from an official source though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Harrow posted:

Not sure if Sten's been retconned, but I'm pretty sure the Qunari were redesigned because BioWare wanted them to look more interesting than "big, gray humans."

They were, originally, intended to be horned and more unique than Big Human. The Origins engine was apparently really bad for that. This is why Origins has so much 'holy poo poo you aren't human!' dialogue for Sten, who for all intents and purposes seems to just be a non-white guy who happens to be about half a foot to a foot taller than a human.

This was explained away by saying Sten is a mutant Qunari (a kind of mutant that is rather common, to be fair) who are mostly used as diplomats. Because not having huge horns apparently makes you less intimidating.

Edit: Having no horns is described as being like a human having red hair in terms of rareness. They just, usually, serve in manners other than traditional military service, as envoys, vanguards, or other fancy roles that mean 'will interact with non-Qun followers'

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Harrow posted:

Sten was sorta-retconned to be a special hornless Kossith, which is an occasional thing that can happen. They usually get selected for special tasks like Sten's "hey, there's something called the Blight, figure out what it is and report back" mission.

Sten himself canonically became Arishok for doing an exceptionally good job as a sten of the Beresaad, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Shugojin posted:

Sten was sorta-retconned to be a special hornless Kossith, which is an occasional thing that can happen. They usually get selected for special tasks like Sten's "hey, there's something called the Blight, figure out what it is and report back" mission.

Sten himself canonically became Arishok for doing an exceptionally good job as a sten of the Beresaad, I think.

*Qunari

Not having horns is also supposedly intimidating in their culture, which is why most Vashoth cut theirs off.

• Locked thread