Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
So Google Maps will mute audio to relay instructions, which I'm fine with (and I don't want to lose voice guidance), but I can't find a way to get it to just pause the audio instead. For example, it'll cut off a significant portion of songs or podcasts if it wants to read the full official name of a highway.

Podcast Republic has an option to deal with transient audio, but is there anything to be done in Google Maps?

Edit - Stock HTC M8, stock music app, stock Google Maps. I'll change to another music app if necessary.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
To my knowledge, it depends on the app playing audio. PocketCasts pauses when Maps reads directions.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is there any way to boost the max volume level on the Nexus 5 without having to root/install a custom bootloader? For some podcasts I listen to they always sound loving quiet at top volume with my headphones.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kameh posted:

So Google Maps will mute audio to relay instructions, which I'm fine with (and I don't want to lose voice guidance), but I can't find a way to get it to just pause the audio instead. For example, it'll cut off a significant portion of songs or podcasts if it wants to read the full official name of a highway.

Podcast Republic has an option to deal with transient audio, but is there anything to be done in Google Maps?

Edit - Stock HTC M8, stock music app, stock Google Maps. I'll change to another music app if necessary.

hooah posted:

To my knowledge, it depends on the app playing audio. PocketCasts pauses when Maps reads directions.

This is correct. It comes down to how the individual app handles it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kameh posted:

Poweramp will pause instead of muting.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
It looks like the Yahoo Weather app just updated and it seems to have fixed the issue of the persistent notification not updating. I've looked at my phone several times today and the temperature being reported has been correct, rather than just being what the temperature was last night. I'm going to keep an eye on things, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is :goonsay: as gently caress, but while Yahoo Weather is pretty, it's forecasting (shared with the Weather Channel app) is wrong pretty consistently near me.

I wound up going to the somewhat clunky Weather Underground app because not only is there the weather stations near you, but you can change the forecast to come in the settings to the NWS forecast, which (at least around here anyway) is much more accurate.

The funny thing is, Yahoo Weather has a Wunderground logo but the data is different, because Weather Channel bought WU a couple years ago and I guess the logos are interchangeable now.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Craptacular! posted:

This is :goonsay: as gently caress, but while Yahoo Weather is pretty, it's forecasting (shared with the Weather Channel app) is wrong pretty consistently near me.

I wound up going to the somewhat clunky Weather Underground app because not only is there the weather stations near you, but you can change the forecast to come in the settings to the NWS forecast, which (at least around here anyway) is much more accurate.

The funny thing is, Yahoo Weather has a Wunderground logo but the data is different, because Weather Channel bought WU a couple years ago and I guess the logos are interchangeable now.

Yeah, Yahoo weather is pretty inaccurate for me most of the time. Maybe it's different in bigger cities but here in rural Germany I'm better off just using google search. Don't know where Google gets its data from though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Going to mention Arcus Weather again.

It uses the great Forecast.io as it's weather source.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Agreed. I use this as well. I paid for it and don't think I use any of the paid features. Dude seems pretty active with his beta group for feature requests etc if that's your thing as well. https://plus.google.com/communities/118016948376885344304

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I really want to like Arcus. I keep installing it, trying it for a while, and uninstalling. Something about it just doesn't feel right to me. It seems like it's on the wrong side of the line between Spartan by design and absent of design. I mean it follows all the guidelines but it still just leaves me flat.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
I quite like [URL= https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levelup.brightweather]Bright Weather [/URL]. Not sure what it's source is.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Rusty! posted:

I quite like Bright Weather. Not sure what it's source is.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there a way to get Google Now to understand a Park & Ride commute?

Alternatively, is there a widget that will show the next train home?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What's the best comic reading app for a 2013 N7?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

ComicRack is my favorite.

There is a free version you can try. ComickRack Free. But it's worth the money.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Thermopyle posted:

Okay, I had been using 1Weather but this is much better--the lack of UX and favoring of written content actually helps when it comes to weather.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

I use Perfect Viewer.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

I used Perfect Viewer for a while, but I really wanted an app with page turn animations, so I went with Comicat. It's very similar to Perfect Viewer, but I like it a little better.

I also tried ComicRack, but I wasn't happy with the way it organized my collection. I might try it again though.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

beerinator posted:

ComicRack is my favorite.

There is a free version you can try. ComickRack Free. But it's worth the money.

Seconding this. The pay app is pretty pricey at over $7, and I have yet to buy it. But I will eventually.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I want to like Arcus but Forecast.io is garbage at Korean weather. Constantly tells me it's raining when it's not.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The real strength of ComicRack is in the desktop software, which is a robust organizational tool. I wish it had a server-only or headless mode, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm currently trying ComicRack and it's nice but page-turn animations would be better. I tried PerfectViewer and that just didn't gel with me at all.

Mostly, I want something that can categorize by like folder, I guess? Maybe be able to put comics manually in a folder if you must or read the Comic directory folders and not just spew the covers in your face?

It's kind of confusing when you have a lot of comics...

Comicat looks like it might be what I'm after...not sure.

Empereur Norton
Feb 28, 2013
Are there any apps that will grab my mac's reminders? If not what todo list platform do people recommend? If it could plug into fantastical as well that would be great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Empereur Norton posted:

Are there any apps that will grab my mac's reminders? If not what todo list platform do people recommend? If it could plug into fantastical as well that would be great.
Any.do, Wunderlist, Keep, Tasks (you know this one will die at some point)

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm currently trying ComicRack and it's nice but page-turn animations would be better. I tried PerfectViewer and that just didn't gel with me at all.

Mostly, I want something that can categorize by like folder, I guess? Maybe be able to put comics manually in a folder if you must or read the Comic directory folders and not just spew the covers in your face?

It's kind of confusing when you have a lot of comics...

Comicat looks like it might be what I'm after...not sure.

Pretty sure you can organize your comics however you want in ComicRack. It might be a little confusing at first, and it's probably way easier and quicker to do so using the PC app.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

Pretty sure you can organize your comics however you want in ComicRack. It might be a little confusing at first, and it's probably way easier and quicker to do so using the PC app.

You're right, it is confusing because I don't see a way to do that after looking for an hour yesterday.

Does the PC app sync to the Android one? If you can sort if there, I'll just give that a shot. I've been using CDisplay for a while...It seems a lot less cluttered but if I just need to sort with ComicRack and read via CDisplay, I can try that.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

What's a good messaging app with widgets like hangout? My widget stopped updating on my front page and really liked being able to scroll through my texts in the hangout widget. Tried GO SMS PRO before but there was some weird stuff going on with group messaging and having each person be a new thread when I'd get replies back and the widget wasn't nearly what I wanted

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
You should probably just try to figure or why your widget stopped updating. Are you having trouble with any other widgets? Are you using a task killer or some sort of other phone janitor app?

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You should probably just try to figure or why your widget stopped updating. Are you having trouble with any other widgets? Are you using a task killer or some sort of other phone janitor app?

Yea had trouble with clock and Spotify widgets. Cleared my screen turned off my phone and redid it after turning it back on and they're all working now. Did a lot of customizing today. Not using any sort of task killer or janitor apps like that

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Are you using ActionLauncher? When I was using it my widgets locked up daily and would only unfreeze with a phone restart.

It was a pity cause apart from that it is my favorite launcher.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Timely will do this I think

Thank you so much, Timely works a treat!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Amazon is giving away another 100 apps for the next two days:

Interesting ones include Instapaper ($2.99) and Docs To Go Premium ($14.99).

edit: Like won't paste, just go to Amazon, it's a banner.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is there a way to customize the notification bar without rooting? I want to get ride of the at&t badge, battery icon, and clock

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Wadjamaloo posted:

Is there a way to customize the notification bar without rooting? I want to get ride of the at&t badge, battery icon, and clock
In short, no, not unless whatever version of android you use supports it.

There are some statusbar "replacements" on play store though. These are basically an app that runs above the statusbar, demands access to pretty much everything, and most are ad-ware. They seem pretty poo poo from what I've seen.

I know sony let you remove some of those things on my xperia z, and I think lg does too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wadjamaloo posted:

I want to get ride of the at&t badge

This is my one regret from getting an AT&T Moto X.

I don't think about it usually, but when I do it just infuriates me. I know I'm loving using AT&T, thanks for collapsing my notifications to tell me again.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think about it usually, but when I do it just infuriates me. I know I'm loving using AT&T, thanks for collapsing my notifications to tell me again.
Yes that's my issue. 99% of the time I don't notice, but when I do its all I notice.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Thermopyle posted:

I thought Moto added the option to turn it off in 4.4.3?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Rusty! posted:

Yes they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Rusty! posted:

AT&T Moto X is on 4.4.2.

• Locked thread