Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

I guess it depends how you intend to use it as you play...Don't let me dictate what you paint it up as! :)

Okay, well, I'm gonna call it for the "I Rolled a 6!" because it is an objective marker. I'll edit my completed post to reflect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
:siren: Oath Complete!

Jurnal is the yellow glow coming from the head of his staff

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
OATH COMPLETE

Inquisitor's Jurnal is the glowing green... orb... spell... thing? That I sculpted onto the Drycha model.

Additional pics just for fun:

And finally, closer-up of the Jurnal.

They're a LITTLE slapdash and the eagle bases aren't finished, but that's the effort I put in when I catch a fever at the end of a month.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

:siren: oath complete! :siren:

Journal entry is the glow on the scourge dropships:

no bonus points this month

ninja edit: I've cleared my DZC backlog, yay :D now time to go order more DZC stuff..

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

It's a minor miracle I finished this month with the amount of hours I worked. I feel like I cut some corners and rushed some stuff, but really the end results are pretty good all together. I had a bitch of a time trying to photograph the ship and the infinity dude, and a little something is lost in translation. In person, however, I think the Infinity malignos is the best piece I've ever done even though I wish I had a little more time to fix some small stuff.

Anyways,

Journal Malignos glowy gun and the water and underside of the ship, which did not photograph well.
Theme group
I rolled a 6! For the dreadfleet treasure tokens
In battle

The Archidon finds himself in a quagmire with some pigs.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Holy poo poo, those are nice. Everything looks so clean, loving awesome job. I love the colours of the ship and the OSL is really badass.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Ama No Zaku, Vanessa, and the Student of Conflict-

Jurnal is her glowing staff and lighting on her coat and skull. Not her skull, that would be weird. The one on her base.
They're kind of shiny as they haven't been varnished yet.

Achievements!
Box Art- all three are painted to match their box art, as are the rest of my Viktoria crew. Vanessa has had some of her blues punched up, and a green cable on her staff- she was painted to match the art in super-subdued tones, but it's not a good look on a miniature so I punched her up a little.
Vanessa-

Student-

Ama no Zaku-

Full crew-

Got to go and varnish the new guys.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Journal is the glow from the Embermage's staff.

And for the bonus point; Box Art!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Thin your paints more, it will help.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

:siren:Oath Complete

Click for bigs, Jurnal is that LED tucked away inside the Gundam's chest hole.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
:frogsiren: OAth COmplete!

Oath complete pic:

OSL close up pic:

Box Art pic:

Backstory

The little mechanical arachnid was an enigma even to Viktor Ramos, professor of aetheric sciences and sorcery. He didn't know whether it was a result of a possession by a wyrd spirit, or merely a yet-unknown natural law at work. While all other machines needed standard care and regular maintenance, this thing seemed to thrive under conditions that would give any engineer fits. The phenomenon yielded to the scientific method - each cleaning or repair resulted in immediate and measurable loss of efficiency, while neglect, exceeding safety parameters, or even leaving the contraption outside in rain, mud and aetherstorms that wreaked havoc upon any electrical circuitry meant you could expect to see the brass servant in top condition the next morning. A person of lesser mind would've shrugged and said it didn't matter as long as the spider helped him keep the other robots serviced and stoked, but lesser minds were seldom seen on the frontiers of technology. And besides, the resurgence of necromancy in the city meant plenty of opportunities to test the machine's resilience.

Parts list

(Key: VGC = Vallejo Game Color, VAir = Vallejo [Model] Air, VLG = Vallejo Liquid Gold, GW = Games Workshop/Citadel (old line), RMS = Reaper Master Series, GF9 = Gale Force Nine)

Both minis were primed with Vallejo Acrylic-Urethane Airbrush Primer - White, and were (LSPA) or will be varnished first with Vallejo Gloss Varnish, then with a mix of 3 parts Vallejo Matt Varnish to 1 part Vallejo Satin Varnish. Vallejo Glaze Medium was also heavily used during painting.

(Large Steampunk Arachnid):
VAir Steel
VLG Old Gold
AP Strong Tone
AP Gunmetal
GW Badab Black
VGC Earth
GW Dheneb Stone
VGC Bonewhite
VGC Black

(Brass Arachnid)
VLG Old Gold
AP Strong Tone
Vallejo Red Shade (wash)
VAir Steel
AP Gunmetal
RMS True Blue
RMS LED Blue
VGC Dead White
AP Pure Red
GS Golden Yellow

:toot: Achievement Unlocked!
The Inquisitor's Journal - OSL (the OSL is the eye-globe and furnace door on the little spider)
Season 5iver!
Backstory
Parts list
Speed painting! (the large spider, pics are here and [http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&pagenumber=26&perpage=40#post432510882]here[/url])
Box art (the large spider, seen above with the original blister card)
Double the Fun!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
(Sorry for the doublepost, don't want to edit the oath post: add VGC Verdigris Glaze and AP Battlefields - Wilderness Tuft to the Parts List, there is no Gale Force 9, that was a mistake)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 1, 2014

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete!

Shot of Stormguard:

Shot of Stormblade Captain:

OSL on Stormguard officer. Since he has a large electro-coil :heysexy:, I did some lighting (or tried) on his shoulder and the handle/head near the coil:

OSL on Stormblade Captain. Again, glow from sword illuminating shoulder and hand:

Claiming Jurnal for OSL on Stormguard officer and Stormblade Captain, and Themed Group for Stormguard.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

:siren: Oath Complete :siren:

Claiming: Fly your flag, themed group

Sorry for the horrible images, just finished them and it's 2 am here and I only have the iphone camera.

Someone warned me about waylandgames.com being slow too bad I had already ordered a handdrill and stuff from there, still haven't gotten it and it's been like 3 weeks, so couldn't make any customing basing.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Oath Complete!
One Chaos Space Marine Maulerfiend, claiming Jurnal for the eyes and chest vents.

It is an object of veneration to the Brazen Daemons, as evidenced by the prayer-skins adorning its armor.

According to their interpretation of the Book of Lorgar, the holiest death is one in service to the gods of Chaos - and such is the death of the slaves burned in the beast's bowels to awaken its burning heart.

Death at the hands of a true servant of the gods is a close second.

The last sight of Brother-Captain Dorius - his soul now rests with the gods.

The great beast surrounded by its adoring cult.

(the above infantry models are not part of the Oath and do not count for any themed group bonuses or whatever.)

Honestly there's a great deal left that I want to do, but doesn't need doing. As I'm trying to be better about calling models done, it's time to put this moocow down for a little bit.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Oath Complete!

I'm burned out after doing all those orcs last month. I barely got these dudes done. Next month I'm taking it easy instead of phoning it in.

Journal is the glowing eyes on the shaman. Peoples' OSL this month is insane, there is no way I can keep up with work like that. Congratulations, you guys.

EDIT: Still taking suggestions on how to make the boars not look like mice! I still have a ton more boar riders to paint so there is time to learn~

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
Oath Complete! Even though I didn't realize today was the 31st.

Jurnal: The glow of a Combi-Plasma as it's about to Get Hot!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Oath Complete

Not the best painter, but this thread is inspiring me to put in work. Let's hope I slowly get better.

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
Oath Complete!

Back with more of the (probably) made in China knockoff Fire Warriors, but I'm getting better at putting them together. Claiming Themed Group as well as the monthly Inkwiziter's Jurnal, for attempting the glowing power cores at the business ends of the rifles.

^^ These ones came out the best, I think.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren:Oath complete!:siren:

High Shield Gun Corps

Scout, Ruby, and Sapper

Slowpokes and Shells

Rock Piles, Rollers, and Bombardiers

Crusher

Everything below here is for the jurnal:

Fire Gels and Burning Gels

Ember Hounds and Lava Whirl

Rock Gut and Blaze Beetle

Roxor

Arcanists, a themed group.

Pyre Troll

Red Shoe fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 1, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Under the wire, but Oath Complete!

Journal is the subtle glow of the reactors on the sides and middle.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

The thing I both love and hate about GW minis is the insane level of detail. In this case, though, the fiddly bits sort of worked out in my favor, as I was able to put different examples of the Detektuv's Jurnal in several places on the model. Most prominently, the stat line for Kranon in the DV quickplay list shows him as having an Aura of Dark Glory upgrade, which I've represented here by having his cloak be on fire.

(...Which I could not take a picture of on the back of the cloak to save my life.)

There are also some glowy spots on his armor (chest skull & medallions, WWE championship belt, crotch-face); his plasma pistol has the traditional glow, as well as his left helmet eye against his pauldron; and his power sword is glowing more fiercely toward the end.

Finally, VOODOO CHAOS GLOW SKULLS :frogsiren:

For the fire effect, I used the methods in the Buypainted "realistic flames" tutorial, with my Sotar 20/20 set all the way down to "Planck-length spray width," maddeningly-tiny stencils and a lot of swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y6TlMIYXWw

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Welp. I'm pretty much blown away. I think the judges will have a very hard time this month!

Pierzak posted:

(Sorry for the doublepost, don't want to edit the oath post: add VGC Verdigris Glaze and AP Battlefields - Wilderness Tuft to the Parts List, there is no Gale Force 9, that was a mistake)

You can always edit your Oath Complete post - if it's edited after the deadline there will be eyebrows raised, so we do ask that no one does that, otherwise feel free to make corrections and whatnot!

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
Oath Complete!

Jurnal is the green glowy fist puncha.

Here is the Hulkster who kindly donated his hands to this project. He is so happy about it.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
:hist101:July Oath Complete!:hist101:

Jurnal entry is some slight glow on the top of the platform from Sauron's Eye within the palantir.

Quick and dirty this month (my white paints hate me and turned to glue tonight), but I have a couple more special projects I hope to work on in the coming month or two! :hist101:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Taking full advantage from the switch to American Samoa time, OATH COMPLETE

This months Journal is (subtle) OSL on the chaplain's eyes. Also claiming Box art for the chaplain.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:duckie:OATH COMPLETE:duckie:

Under the wire again, but here we go

Themed Group #1

Themed Group #2 on some really lovely flight stands that I'm going to replace with corsec magnetic ones asap

Backstory A pool of blood sat below the barricade, slowly leaking into a drain in the middle of a city street, splashes of blood covering the concrete above it. A snarling sound emanated from behind it, as though whatever had been responsible had been waiting for another victim to come along. As Tom Kirby realised that the shape sitting in the blood was an Ultramarine head, the thought may have occurred to someone else that it was too late - but not Tom. "It's not as bad as it looks!" beamed Tom, as the Plague 2nd Gen leaped up over the Barricade, sinking its claws into Kirby as it roared "MANTIC!", not at all alluding to any real life occurences.

This is my Journal for the month - who needs OSL when you glow in the dark?

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

Lighting Jurnal on the headlights.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Android posted:

Oath Complete!

Jurnal is the green glowy fist puncha.

Top stuff. OK I concede, you win the battle of the weirdboyz for this month! :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Bah, I screwed up - meant to copy this post and instead edited this post! But here's a general recap:

This month's theme, AKA the INQUISITOR'S JOURNAL, is Cut & Swap!

Completing the Inquisitor's Journal gives you an easy point, so if you want to be in the running for Grand Prizes at the end of Season 5, you'll be wanting every point you can get! Even if you don't care about points, many of the Journals will get you to try painting techniques you may not have tried before, so go for it!

ALSO, the judges will each be deciding who's done the Journal in the most unique and creative way and EACH judge will be giving a point for their top pick, so that's a potential 3 extra points just waiting for you!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 18, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, oath for August:

1 Aquan Battleship
1 Aquan Battlecruiser
8 Battlefield Objective tokens

Everything is by Spartan for Firestorm Armada, scale unknown but I'm assuming inconsistent and gently caress-huge.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pierzak posted:

I, Pierzak, oath for August:

1 Aquan Battleship
1 Aquan Battlecruiser
8 Battlefield Objective tokens

Oath Accepted!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
For August I oath: Gudrun the Wanderer, 10 Forge Guard, General Ossrum, and 3 artillery corps models.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for August: Saint Luke, Bounty Hunter Orchid, Bounty Hunter Nathaniel, and Saint Mark (28mm, Dark Age Miniatures)

I'll figure out what bonuses I wanna do later :toot:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Aww foo, NMM. Not sure what to do with that on what I've got planned this month.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Does this mean painting metal without metallic colours? Like using layers to male stuff look metallic?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

thespaceinvader posted:

Aww foo, NMM. Not sure what to do with that on what I've got planned this month.

Yeah, I actually don't have anything I think I can use in my inventory; don't think it would work at 15mm, and I don't really want to try it on my 28mm (1/56th) Panzer II.

Sistergodiva posted:

Does this mean painting metal without metallic colours? Like using layers to male stuff look metallic?

Yes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sistergodiva posted:

I got this tutorial from the NMM month last year, and it was helpful

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
^^ edit:too slow!

From the previous season, there were some useful NMM links in case people aren't sure how to approach this:
* http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=10116.0
* http://www.platoonbritannica.com/index.php?threads/non-metallic-metal-goodiness-a-guide-to.1654/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
You can also get some pretty convincing NMM using glazed layers. That's how I did mine on my Chaplains mace and shoulder pads last season.

The trick to it is to do a basecoat of white, then mix two colors together and then thin it down to a suitably thin consistency (not quite a wash). Using successive layers, mix in a darker color (like black) a tiny amount each time, making sure every layer is dried first before doing the next. After that, go over the raised areas with your original base coat, then one or two highlights with a bit of a lighter color mixed in (bone or a light grey is usually best). Keep in mind where you want light to be reflecting off of, as that is the most important element of making NMM look good.

• Locked thread