Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Does anyone play LOTR on OCTGN?

I gave it a shot the other day, and it wasn't quite as automated as I was expecting, but I guess it's analogous to live play - but you can build decks with all the packs so you try stuff before you buy. It's got some semi-automation for either telling you phases you're on and what you should be doing, and resfreshing and resources for new rounds. I was expecting it to figure out damage, quest sucess /failure etc automatically. It would have even been nice to automatically know what are legal moves (this would have been helpful with some grey areas in some cards which I can't think of off the top of my head). But, you can easily get a game going and just do it all manually like you would in real life anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

I gave it a shot the other day, and it wasn't quite as automated as I was expecting, but I guess it's analogous to live play - but you can build decks with all the packs so you try stuff before you buy. It's got some semi-automation for either telling you phases you're on and what you should be doing, and resfreshing and resources for new rounds. I was expecting it to figure out damage, quest sucess /failure etc automatically. It would have even been nice to automatically know what are legal moves (this would have been helpful with some grey areas in some cards which I can't think of off the top of my head). But, you can easily get a game going and just do it all manually like you would in real life anyway.

I tried it once solo, and my impressions mostly matched up with yours. Is there any interest in putting something together like the OCTGN Goonlist? I've also been hanging out on synIRC a bit if there's desire for a #lcg room or something.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Amoeba102 posted:

Personally, I like less automation. I just got around to using ctrl-n to start new rounds. I think there are so many opportunities to make plays, that automation would get in the way.

I'm always up to play: mongol05

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It was my initiaal reaction, but after spending a while playing I can see how much of a pain in the arse it would be for some of the cards - especially the coding part. I turn on phase management, put a done button there and just play through the round and forget to update the phase anyway. So I keep clicking through and think "yep done that, and that, and those".
And I looked up how to play two-handed: Open two instances and start a game on one, and on the other join unlisted and you should be in your own game. From there, instead of flipping between the two OCTGN's to play, choose one to be the primary and take control of the other players deck, and change visibility of their hand. You'll need to take control of a few other things, but if you ever can't do what you want, just right click and take control. You'll have to load the seccond player deck using the ssecond instance though.
I tested out some Hobbit thematic decks - overly thematic decks - such that there are no characters but the dwarven company and Gandalf. Tested them on passage through mirkwood to see if they were broken, I made it through with each singularly and two handed was really easy. But they are very fragile decks and require a good starting hand or you are going to lose. I tried two handed on the Hobbit trolls, and it was a disaster since I didn't get the hands I needed. I have noticed some flaws with the decks and I need to rearrange some elements.
For me, that's probably what OCTGN is good fior, testing decks easier.

My name is fairly predictable.

Edit: I shuffled some things around and "We must away ere break of day" was easier, but I couldn't get the treasure because of a bad treachery card making me lose all my resources on bilbo :angry: Not sure if it's because of the change up or because of the hands. Honestly though, one hand had only one dwarf ally the whole time, and 1 gandalf. The other manged to get out all of it's dwarves and two gandalfs. I aklso noticed afterwards I only had 1 A test of Will - which probably didn't help with the lose of resources.
Problem with this deck is that it's pretty tough to actually kill the trolls and get the purse. I do have dwarven axes in there, but that leaves my maximum atk at 7 if I can get both out on Thorin - could two shot Tom if I have all the cards I need, but not really reliable. Though I should probably have used Bofur to search for the axes.
Overall they seemed to work better though.

Edit 2: I tried it again and got about 1 turn from victory with the troll cave awaiting to be travelled as the active location and the encounter deck incredibly thin, but with 6 sacks out, and one on Bilbo. Got a shadow card that dealt 4 damage to sacked characters and had zero resources for either the cards self cancel with Baggins resources, or for Balin's effect. I also discarded all the troll camp's so I couldn't remove sacks regardless. If I had gotten a different shadow card, I would have got the treasure and the eencounter deck would have run out when dealing shadow cards.

Edit 3: I've completed the OHUH box using my thematic decks (including getting the troll treasure) - I changed up the player cards to give me an edge with the riddles though. I've used only the allies from the dwarven company so it's very light on allies, and I used mainly cards from the core box and the Hobbit saga boxes and only in the numbers available in the boxes. I added in some of the blackrider/huntforgollum/deadmarshes cards to make dcks heavy in events of a single sphere or of low cost. I tried it without and I failed every riddle - with the change I didn't fail any. Luck and probability but an edge is an edge.
Now to see if I can manage to finally take back erebor with only the dwarves. If I manage that, then I can entertain the idea of including other allies for the battle of five armies.

Edit 4th and final: Ok, it's taken what seems like a year but I have finished the Hobbit saga dual-decking with thematic decks. The lonely mountain was easier than I expected but that was lucky. And then I added in extra allies for the battle of five armies (to include the human/elf/beorn but I forgot to add the eagles I had) and managed to get it done. Now to stop gimping my decks by sticking to the theme.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 26, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Tau Preview for WH40K: Conquest, along with the full rules PDF:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4967

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Carteret posted:

Tau Preview for WH40K: Conquest, along with the full rules PDF:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4967

Wow, Tau looks awesome. This looks like they really just improved on the Blood Bowl Team Manager game, which I already thought was pretty fun.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So you'll need 3 core sets for a full play set.

Buying multiples here will also create a lot more waste than Netrunner.

Hrmm.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Hrmm.

I think 2 would be standard. There is no telling what the 1ofs will be, or what kind of power level they are.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah. Even with Netrunner you certainly didn't need 3 core sets. You wanted a playset of the 2-ofs more than the 1-ofs, especially when the game first launched.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Oh I'm not saying it's mandatory and I'll probably buy 2, but I've been looking online and there are a few people who say the won't play if you have to buy 3 for a full set

Edit: either way, between this and doomtown im running my budget tight this month

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 1, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Oh I'm not saying it's mandatory and I'll probably buy 2, but I've been looking online and there are a few people who say the won't play if you have to buy 3 for a full set

Edit: either way, between this and doomtown im running my budget tight this month

These people are also probably the same kind of people who loathed Netrunner because Noise was powerful for like 3 months and quit the game. gently caress those kinds of people.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Carteret posted:

These people are also probably the same kind of people who loathed Netrunner because Noise was powerful for like 3 months and quit the game. gently caress those kinds of people.

Hey Noiseshop was kind of annoying. But I do agree it is insane to just not get into a game if you are worried about having to buy more cores for a full play set.

I think the game does look a little bland, mostly just deploying, one hidden action deploy, and punching each other.
It really comes down to how interesting the card effects end up being I guess. It feels like it might end up being another Star Wars LCG where games are done in 4-5 turns and it mostly comes down to who can swing the hardest.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Does anyone have advice on starting an LCG night at their store? The owners have been pushing Netrunner and for 3 weeks in a row I'm the only one who has showed up so I've taken the past couple of weeks off. Tonight the owners were bugging me about it again. I have some game store experience and I told them they have to brand it as a "non-Magic card game night" instead of Netrunner and they (the owner an his wife) need to play to get people interested.

I have more than enough to run multiple demos of Netrunner and Star Wars and will be picking up Doomtown and Warhammer 40k. They said they'd be down for playing Netrunner and have 2 store copies for demoing.

That will allow me to run 4 games of Netrunner (at least if i make less than competitive decks with my stuff), 2 of Star Wars, and 1 of Doomtown and Warhammer.

They only have OP kits for Netrunner and I'm encouraging them to buy the rest.

All said, short of just going up to people and being like "will you play star wars with me on sunday?" I dont really know what to do.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Does anyone have advice on starting an LCG night at their store? The owners have been pushing Netrunner and for 3 weeks in a row I'm the only one who has showed up so I've taken the past couple of weeks off. Tonight the owners were bugging me about it again. I have some game store experience and I told them they have to brand it as a "non-Magic card game night" instead of Netrunner and they (the owner an his wife) need to play to get people interested.

I have more than enough to run multiple demos of Netrunner and Star Wars and will be picking up Doomtown and Warhammer 40k. They said they'd be down for playing Netrunner and have 2 store copies for demoing.

That will allow me to run 4 games of Netrunner (at least if i make less than competitive decks with my stuff), 2 of Star Wars, and 1 of Doomtown and Warhammer.

They only have OP kits for Netrunner and I'm encouraging them to buy the rest.

All said, short of just going up to people and being like "will you play star wars with me on sunday?" I dont really know what to do.

Advertise, and not just around the store. Post about you trying to get something started in your area on the large Netrunner Facebook group and the Netrunner subreddit. Start up a meetup. Are there other FLGS in the area? Add your store to these playgroup finders. poo poo, throw up a post on the FFG forums even. The OP Kits are an awesome draw for fans of the game, but they do nothing for newbies. Do they have a boardgame night? I'm sure they do FNM and other M:TG events. Set up a display or something to give demos, and since the Owners are down to play/help you shouldn't have an issue. Are you doing this for them or you?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

omnibobb posted:

Hrmm.

I think you'd get a lot less waste - there are 222 cards in the box, but around 178 unique cards... so you're probably talking about 120 or so 1x cards in each core set - a much better deal than Netrunner where you're buyin the core set for the 10 cards that came 1x.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

tomdidiot posted:

I think you'd get a lot less waste - there are 222 cards in the box, but around 178 unique cards... so you're probably talking about 120 or so 1x cards in each core set - a much better deal than Netrunner where you're buyin the core set for the 10 cards that came 1x.

Well, there was plenty of 2x cards that you needed one more of. Here, if you buy 2x, you are getting 10 extra planets, 7 warlords plus their signature squads, an extra however many 2x cards, and I imagine the entire token card set would be extra.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What is the Goon Hivemind (TM) thinking about how WH40K LCG is looking now that the rules are out? I don't have deep experience with card games but the rules seem functional to me...a bit worried that too many games could come down to last-planet-win tiebreakers or incredibly frustrating warlord-hunting tactics though. Others please post thoughts.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I think it looks great. Deck building is going to be a lot fun too. I've seen a lot of bitching about the ally system "urmm the dark eldar wouldnt team up with chaos" kinda poo poo.

I've always loved the look and lore of 40k but disliked the actual game so I cant wait to jump in.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm in it for a Core set minimum, most likely two. I enjoy the simultaneous turn structure, and how everything should be over in 3-6 turns. I like their rulebook structure as well, which is a shocker for an FFG rulebook. They have it split up into a "this is the general idea" book and a separate "go here for keywords, timing, and particulars."

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I am so loving psyched for it, but not at all psyched about following two LCGs at the same time because I am a baby.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

I am so loving psyched for it, but not at all psyched about following two LCGs at the same time because I am a baby.

I actively keep up with Star Wars, Netrunner, and LotR. I intend to pick up Warhammer.

Someone help me :negative:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I have Netrunner and Star Wars and I will be getting Warhammer and Doomtown.

But I have been letting Star Wars slide.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Star Wars just didn't grab me.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so the LCG is like trading cards I can actually play with :unsmith:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like:

-the apparent great game speed as it is fixed to only go 7 rounds. While there seems to be much thinking to do, the simple fact that you start with ~7 cards and draw only ~2 a turn will probably do a lot to keep poo poo moving. As in, you can't possibly have that many things that need doing each round anyway...can you?

-that economics is fully interactive, as you apparently cannot gain increased resource generation except via command struggle that exposes units to the enemy. Most games have players manage their economic engines as their own private affairs.

-command struggle as a second dimension to a unit's worth beyond ATK/HP. I'm reminded of how Dawn of War made you capture map locations to keep resource flowing and I really appreciate how making money and fielding soldiers is the same thing.

-warlord deployment as a simultaneous bluff thing with all the attendant "well if he X to my Y then...better Z..." kind of planning, especially thanks to its major effect on command struggle and fight initiation (double bonus theme points for Guard: "well, the Commander's not around and this isn't a primary objective world. We could charge the Ork trench...or order pizza.")

-a lack of randomness in damage dealing

I fear:

-ranged attacks in particular as being goddamn annoying. Warlords can't use their special run away option until they could otherwise fight; therefore, a warlord without Ranged could get sniped to poo poo by a ranged-heavy deck. I smell degenerate strategy in the making.

-with only 7 worlds between 2 players that need 3 matches to win, color symbols best be liberally splashed about or it's going to go to tiebreaker a lot. And the tiebreaker "most recent winner is overall winner" is very unsatisfying, and also makes me sweat the possibility of some degenerate deck that purposely treads water until forcing a tie.

My fears are mostly the sort of thing that only the cardpool can prove or counter. My hopes are all based on the system itself, which is a good thing. I was just asking if anyone detected any major red flags in the game's underlying framework.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 5, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

S.J. posted:

Star Wars just didn't grab me.

I can get that. I also know I'm a sucker for certain licenses.

Would you like to see my platinum trophies for the Green Lantern and X-Men games?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

SuperKlaus posted:

I like:

-the apparent great game speed as it is fixed to only go 7 rounds. While there seems to be much thinking to do, the simple fact that you start with ~7 cards and draw only ~2 a turn will probably do a lot to keep poo poo moving. As in, you can't possibly have that many things that need doing each round anyway...can you?

-that economics is fully interactive, as you apparently cannot gain increased resource generation except via command struggle that exposes units to the enemy. Most games have players manage their economic engines as their own private affairs.

-command struggle as a second dimension to a unit's worth beyond ATK/HP. I'm reminded of how Dawn of War made you capture map locations to keep resource flowing and I really appreciate how making money and fielding soldiers is the same thing.

-warlord deployment as a simultaneous bluff thing with all the attendant "well if he X to my Y then...better Z..." kind of planning, especially thanks to its major effect on command struggle and fight initiation (double bonus theme points for Guard: "well, the Commander's not around and this isn't a primary objective world. We could charge the Ork trench...or order pizza.")

-a lack of randomness in damage dealing

I fear:

-ranged attacks in particular as being goddamn annoying. Warlords can't use their special run away option until they could otherwise fight; therefore, a warlord without Ranged could get sniped to poo poo by a ranged-heavy deck. I smell degenerate strategy in the making.

-with only 7 worlds between 2 players that need 3 matches to win, color symbols best be liberally splashed about or it's going to go to tiebreaker a lot. And the tiebreaker "most recent winner is overall winner" is very unsatisfying, and also makes me sweat the possibility of some degenerate deck that purposely treads water until forcing a tie.

My fears are mostly the sort of thing that only the cardpool can prove or counter. My hopes are all based on the system itself, which is a good thing. I was just asking if anyone detected any major red flags in the game's underlying framework.

I was under the impression only the units from the first planet (which ever planet it may actually be) were the only ones to retreat and then they get distributed to where the worldlord goes on the next turn.

This could build up a large mass of units if you deploy your warlord to the 1st planet every turn after the first and assuming you win all of those planets.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Doomtown is getting a non-GenCon release of 8 Sept.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
You can retreat guys from any fight that takes place, but it's true fights only take place at 1st planet and where warlords show up, so 3 possible fights per round. Ultimately though if you were responding to the part of my post where I was anxious about warlord entourage-snowballing I edited it out because I thought some more and don't think it will be a problem :)

I am still concerned about warlord hunting trumping planet acquisition as a victory plan...especially as I see no rule saying units heal damage absent special card effects.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I didnt see that, but i only read the book once. Were did it say you can retreat regular units?

Edit: it's in the RRG. You can't retreat whenever you want (well not WHENEVER) like warlords, but at the end of the combat round.

Hrmm.

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 5, 2014

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

omnibobb posted:

Doomtown is getting a non-GenCon release of 8 Sept.

Ugggggh that is so many days. :cry:

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Ugggggh that is so many days. :cry:

Don't worry, if it's anything like the Netrunner launch, most of the GenCon stock will be on eBay/Craigslist before the weekend is over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

InShaneee posted:

Don't worry, if it's anything like the Netrunner launch, most of the GenCon stock will be on eBay/Craigslist before the weekend is over.

At triple price for the Deluxe Edition, no doubt.

The next round of Shadowfist expansions are on their way to backers now, so I should have those in the next couple of weeks.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I absolutely love Deadlands, but never got around to trying Doomtown. I feel kind of iffy about AEG's rules a lot of the time from my experience with L5R and some of their other games, moreso than FFG- enough so that I'm definitely going to wait until I hear some more reviews/see it played before I jump on board. Are there any preview copy reviews or anything floating about?

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
There are print-and-play decks here.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Carteret posted:

I actively keep up with Star Wars, Netrunner, and LotR. I intend to pick up Warhammer.

Someone help me :negative:

I'm in the same boat.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I will be in line Thursday morning to buy as many copies of conquest as I can :hellyeah:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I absolutely love Deadlands, but never got around to trying Doomtown. I feel kind of iffy about AEG's rules a lot of the time from my experience with L5R and some of their other games, moreso than FFG- enough so that I'm definitely going to wait until I hear some more reviews/see it played before I jump on board. Are there any preview copy reviews or anything floating about?

I'm on my phone so no links but if you just search "doomtown reloaded review" on youtube you'll find some.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hero Gandalf!!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4974

Can't wait :getin:

E: too awesome to not give an image of.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

ChiTownEddie posted:

Hero Gandalf!!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4974

Can't wait :getin:

E: too awesome to not give an image of.

That is a really powerful effect. Easily slots into any deck and "draws" an extra card every turn in a roundabout way. Solid stats, too.

Biggest drawback is that using the hero Gandalf prevents you from using his Ally card. :(