Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Aquaman is cool when people aren't trying to prove how cool he is.

sigh

quote:

But Namor is cooler
duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

Chip Zdarsky Variant for Axis. :allears:

So wait, is the Red Skull the new Onslaught now?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SilverSupernova posted:

So wait, is the Red Skull the new Onslaught now?

I believe so.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would it be reasonable for me to imagine that there's some dude somewhere who thinks he's cleverer than he is who's written a dissertation-length Internet post about how Aquaman is now the ultimate DC character because he's the apotheosis of "I'm a Very Serious character! I'm not silly!" or something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He has very defensive fanboys, so maybe.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm pretty sure that's why Geoff Johns is that person.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Would it be reasonable for me to imagine that there's some dude somewhere who thinks he's cleverer than he is who's written a dissertation-length Internet post about how Aquaman is now the ultimate DC character because he's the apotheosis of "I'm a Very Serious character! I'm not silly!" or something?

It's a fact: Every time someone tries to write Aquaman as a super cool badass just to counteract his ridiculous reputation, he grows exponentially less cool.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a fact: Every time someone tries to write Aquaman as a super cool badass just to counteract his ridiculous reputation, he grows exponentially less cool.

Once again, Justice League :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

This is why BatB is the ultimate form of Aquaman.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Aquaman, no! You're not supposed to punch people with that hand!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What is the context here? Why is Aquaman bowing on a conference table? Why is Superman being a massive rear end in a top hat to him? How do you even punch someone from that bowing position with any sort of momentum to, uh, FWAM Superman?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

This is why BatB is the ultimate form of Aquaman.

OUTRAGEOUS!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Metal Loaf posted:

I read the first arc of the One Year Later relaunch, that was kinda badass without trying too hard.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

"What, you're too good to talk to fish? Racist."

Did they seriously retcon away his ability to talk to sea life? So now he's just a fairly strong guy whose only distinguishing power is that he doesn't have to check out a rebreather from the Justice League Supply Cabinet when they go on an underwater mission?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
No, he telepathically controls them, it's much cooler than just "talking" and besides they're stupid animals, they can't talk :rolleyes:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Knormal posted:

"What, you're too good to talk to fish? Racist."

Did they seriously retcon away his ability to talk to sea life? So now he's just a fairly strong guy whose only distinguishing power is that he doesn't have to check out a rebreather from the Justice League Supply Cabinet when they go on an underwater mission?

He mentally commands them. It's that old comedy bit that I forgot who did. It's not like he's sitting down with fish going "Oh, hey swordfish, how are you today? How about those mets?" It's a one way "do this" thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

So long and thanks for all the retcons

[Brave and the Bold #28]

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sockser posted:

Apparently there was an Aquaman series last year or so where everyone gave Aquaman a lot of poo poo ?

I need to know what this book is because I need more of this.

Oh yeah, great, that's what we need with Aquaman. An overly serious overcompensating take to make him credible. Cause that's gonna work. :wank:

Brave and the Bold Aquaman is superior.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

DC is so bad, why do people even read DC books. They despise fun.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 1, 2014

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I liked overly serious 90s badass onehanded bearded Aquaman, sue me. :(

(JLA #23)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
We all know what DC does with fun and fun characters.

*Looks at Identity Crisis and Sue Dibney*

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ignite Memories posted:

Infamous Injustice is pretty fun.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking
90's aqua man had to keep up with 90's Namor

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

No, he telepathically controls them, it's much cooler than just "talking" and besides they're stupid animals, they can't talk :rolleyes:
Ah, so they're re-framing it so he blatantly enslaves them. Much better.

Vanadium posted:

I liked overly serious 90s badass onehanded bearded Aquaman, sue me. :(

(JLA #23)
I liked him when he had the magic water hand that could control water. That's, like, an actual useful superpower.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "Sword of Atlantis" stuff was pretty interesting too, mostly in how it turned the bottom of the ocean into an alien world. Too bad it just kind of petered out.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

muscles like this? posted:

The "Sword of Atlantis" stuff was pretty interesting too, mostly in how it turned the bottom of the ocean into an alien world. Too bad it just kind of petered out.

No, no. Too bad they handed it over to another writer, who threw in Jar Jar Binks and a bunch of other unlikeable oceanic abominations, and then after completely loving up the entire premise, they scrubbed it so the original Aquaman could return for the latest pointless crossover that amounted to nothing.

DC do not let good things "peter out" when it can utterly humiliate and destroy them.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Strange Tales 4, 19 & 100:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I resigned to let them become a septic ouroboros no one but the most blindly dedicated of fans could even pretend to love years ago. At least with Marvel you get a veneer of evolution, change, and respect for the past instead of outright enshrinement.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Knormal posted:

They literally say he talks to dolphins and poo poo but that most fish are so dumb they aren't even sapient. So you get your cake and can eat it too!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

No, no. Too bad they handed it over to another writer, who threw in Jar Jar Binks and a bunch of other unlikeable oceanic abominations, and then after completely loving up the entire premise, they scrubbed it so the original Aquaman could return for the latest pointless crossover that amounted to nothing.

DC do not let good things "peter out" when it can utterly humiliate and destroy them.

Well, part of the problem was hiring a guy who doesn't write comic books normally. Then getting annoyed when he turns in something that isn't really like most comic books.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

What is the context here? Why is Aquaman bowing on a conference table? Why is Superman being a massive rear end in a top hat to him? How do you even punch someone from that bowing position with any sort of momentum to, uh, FWAM Superman?

Rather than be spanked by papa, I should source this. Aquaman V4 #29, apparently.

It's actually Martian Manhunter, not Superman. As to why...gently caress if I know or care. JLA Fight Club? Let's go with that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

I liked him when he had the magic water hand that could control water. That's, like, an actual useful superpower.

Yeah, Aquaman would be considerably more useful if he was a waterbender.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Water-based Atlantean sorcery blasts from a water hand is such an obvious idea I am really shocked it didn't last. Even by DC standards that was a bizarre squandering of a great solution to a long-time obvious problem.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, Aquaman always had that water hadouken.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I tried to get into the Brave and the Bold, but the art style really grossed me out. Kind of a shame, it seemed like a pretty fun show.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I tried to get into the Brave and the Bold, but the art style really grossed me out.
Just when you think you've heard it all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's not wrong. Brave and the Bold looks a lot like that Fischer Price Marvel series. I get that's kind-of the point, but hey it's not my nor everyone's flavor.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I tried to get into the Brave and the Bold, but the art style really grossed me out. Kind of a shame, it seemed like a pretty fun show.

"I, Brian Michael Bendis, swear it."

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

He's not wrong. Brave and the Bold looks a lot like that Fischer Price Marvel series. I get that's kind-of the point, but hey it's not my nor everyone's flavor.

She

Other than that, yes, pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Gatts posted:

Oh yeah, great, that's what we need with Aquaman. An overly serious overcompensating take to make him credible. Cause that's gonna work. :wank:

Brave and the Bold Aquaman is superior.

I've read it, it wasn't that serious. There were a lot of people making fun of Aquaman, and I laughed.

• Locked thread