Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It gets covered in the Esslemont books. Most directly in Orb Sceptre Throne (which is imo his best). The blue naval maranth have a bit in Stonewielder as well.

Sadly, I haven't gotten around to reading those yet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

pakman posted:

I don't think we really know much about the Moranth aside from: they use giant cicadas as mounts, they make explosives used by the Malazans, and that their society is divided into 9(?) castes(?) by colors, as well as the color caste that provides the explosives. I don't think it's mentioned if they are an actual extension of the Malazan army or if they are just weapons merchants and taxi drivers for important people.

Actually, they are not part of the Malazan Empire, they are an independent nation who the Malazans have an alliance with. I can't recall what the Moranth get out of it but the Malazans got a major tech upgrade with the munitions, and then Fiddler and Hedge ended up teaching the Moranth a thing or two about how to use their own weapons. It's implied (or guessed at by characters) that the Moranth are holding back some serious stuff and only giving the Malazans their weaker stuff, which, if true, holy poo poo.

The castes have different roles, which I cannot remember all of - the Blues are the navy and the Greens are the couriers, IIRC.

Some later-series spoilers: they learned how to make munitions from the Tiste Edur, before their own cultural degradation made them forget how to do it, and they have a centuries-old hatred with the Segulah.

You learn a lot more about them in Orb, Sceptre, Throne.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

pakman posted:

I don't think we really know much about the Moranth aside from: they use giant cicadas as mounts, they make explosives used by the Malazans, and that their society is divided into 9(?) castes(?) by colors, as well as the color caste that provides the explosives. I don't think it's mentioned if they are an actual extension of the Malazan army or if they are just weapons merchants and taxi drivers for important people.

They're allied with the Malazans, and the Black Moranth are i guess capable ground troops as well an air force. They're kin to the barghast, and I think that's revealed somewhere in book... 5 or 6? idk

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CaptainJuan posted:

They're allied with the Malazans, and the Black Moranth are i guess capable ground troops as well an air force. They're kin to the barghast, and I think that's revealed somewhere in book... 5 or 6? idk

Actually, the alliance is falling apart (to the point of some Moranth (RotCG) fighting against the empire and there's some heavy renegotiations going on. Again, the ICE books have more information on them.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I didn't word my question correctly, what were the Moranth doing after book 3? Something about infighting was mentioned offhandedly.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I know that the book mentions a shakeup because of the losses inflicted on the Gold Moranth while fighting with the Malazans. Other than that I can't remember (and I haven't read anything by ICE).

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Just finished Book 1. Wow!

A couple things I didn't get: What was Dujek Onearm's reasoning in switching up the reinforcements? Was that the point at which he decided to take his entire army and desert? Did Caladan Brood recognize that's what he was doing? What's the deal with the Crimson Guard, were we supposed to think they're deserting from Caladan Brood?.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

Just finished Book 1. Wow!

A couple things I didn't get: What was Dujek Onearm's reasoning in switching up the reinforcements? Was that the point at which he decided to take his entire army and desert? Did Caladan Brood recognize that's what he was doing? What's the deal with the Crimson Guard, were we supposed to think they're deserting from Caladan Brood?.

Keep reading, it gets better. E: Any question regarding motivation is not definitively knowable without a specific character telling the reader in his own thoughts what he was thinking at the time. There are a lot of characters who lie, misrepresent, misremember or just straight up don't know anything but assume what they've been told is true in these books that we can't really answer any of those questions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've started reading Forge of Darkness and something I'm wondering from the earlier books was it ever outright stated or made clear that Draconus was a Tiste? Despite him being consort of mother dark I just assumed he wasn't, probably because I forgot about some passage explaining his appearance. I'm glad at least that things finally seem to start making sense, like who/what mother dark actually was since it made pretty much no sense in the original series

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Jose posted:

I've started reading Forge of Darkness and something I'm wondering from the earlier books was it ever outright stated or made clear that Draconus was a Tiste? Despite him being consort of mother dark I just assumed he wasn't, probably because I forgot about some passage explaining his appearance. I'm glad at least that things finally seem to start making sense, like who/what mother dark actually was since it made pretty much no sense in the original series

He's not Tiste. It's never really clarified in the earlier books either way, but I believe he's described as being a larger than normal Tiste in appearance when you are first introduced to him in the sword. I think.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Baudin posted:

He's not Tiste. It's never really clarified in the earlier books either way, but I believe he's described as being a larger than normal Tiste in appearance when you are first introduced to him in the sword. I think.

I'm pretty sure he's outright outed as an Azathanai isn't he?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well I'm not far enough through the book then yet and I'm pretty sure they're only named near the end of the main series :v: Its still kind of confusing working out where Forge of Darkness is set since it doesn't seem like Kurald Galain considering the Azathanai, Jaghut and Jheleck are all about. I suppose it'll be made clear or something will happen to move Kharkanas into Kurald Galain or something or other idk . I'm only a quarter of the way through the book so far

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

In one of the main sequence books someone remembers Draconus coming among them pretending to be Tiste when he's definitely not, so it's foreshadowed early. Also let us know what you think when you finish!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Jose posted:

Well I'm not far enough through the book then yet and I'm pretty sure they're only named near the end of the main series :v: Its still kind of confusing working out where Forge of Darkness is set since it doesn't seem like Kurald Galain considering the Azathanai, Jaghut and Jheleck are all about. I suppose it'll be made clear or something will happen to move Kharkanas into Kurald Galain or something or other idk . I'm only a quarter of the way through the book so far

Its based in Kurald Galain.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Baudin posted:

Its based in Kurald Galain.

Yes, it's based in the time shortly before the Tiste were divided, and when Kurald Galain was just a province on the same world as Malazan takes place. It's all the poo poo is going to happen in the next two books that will set up more or less the status quo that exists in the present.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Do we know it is on Wu though? Pretty sure we don't other than the fact some familiar races are there and some maybe references to Kallor's kingdom.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

Do we know it is on Wu though? Pretty sure we don't other than the fact some familiar races are there and some maybe references to Kallor's kingdom.

References to Kallor, the Imass, the Eres'al, K'rul spilling his blood into the world, etc... It's Wu.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

References to Kallor, the Imass, the Eres'al, K'rul spilling his blood into the world, etc... It's Wu.

I distinctly remember a sequence in one of the Malazan books where Silchas Ruin gets backstabbed by Scabandari Bloodeye after a climactic battle with the... I want to say K'Chain Che'Malle? The implication is that the Tiste invaded the current world and are effectively foreigners to it. They are not native to the Malazan world. Perhaps its merely that there are warrens connecting the two worlds that are easier to traverse?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I should reread Forge sometime but I vaguely remember the events at the very, very end involving Mother Dark and Draconus's gift possibly causing the splitting off of Kurald Galain from the rest of the planet, so that stuff you remember from the HoC prologue wouldn't be too messed up. That said, Forge just shits all over your prior canon beliefs so I wouldn't worry about it.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I always thought that it was just another Warren. The Tiste or Kurald Warren or some such thing. In forge, we're just looking at it before it was sundered into three. I also just assumed that the azathanai were elder gods or primal forces or something. Either way, it's interesting as he'll.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Baudin posted:

I distinctly remember a sequence in one of the Malazan books where Silchas Ruin gets backstabbed by Scabandari Bloodeye after a climactic battle with the... I want to say K'Chain Che'Malle? The implication is that the Tiste invaded the current world and are effectively foreigners to it. They are not native to the Malazan world. Perhaps its merely that there are warrens connecting the two worlds that are easier to traverse?
As already mentioned, it looks as though KG was originally just a part of Wu, but with Draconus' gift seems like it may have ssentially transcended (ascended?) into its own realm.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Man The Wurms of Blearmouth had me grinning like an idiot from start to finish. I like how all the Nemenethani are fleshed out across the 5 K&B books.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The B&KB series is like a fantasy version of a confederacy of dunces with Bauchelain & Korbal Broach taking the place of Ignatius J. Reilly.
And making that comparison made me love the B&KB series even more.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm reading forge of darkness probably faster than any malazan book because its explaining so much

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Forge of darkness owns, young Endest Silann, draconus pwning noobs, caladan brood etc

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm about midway through The Bonehunters and just when I thought I had these books figured it out in terms of 'action' (swords, sorcery, military strategy and an obvious reverence for high-powered explosives) I hit the chapter where Bottle has to lead the survivors of the burning city to safety through old crypts. It was nerve-wracking, mostly because it plays on real fears of claustrophobia that the more fantastical elements of undead pseudo-cavemen and blade-handed reptiles that live in floating mountains lacks, I loved the way it explored how each character would deal with that situation, and I think it hit harder mostly because of how unexpected it was. Erikson, you clever bastard. I also like that he pulled the same trick with Corabb that he did with Karsa:make him laughably ignorant, shatter his naivete, and then see how he copes with it. I really love the way the characters actually seem to change as people. It's downright anti-Tolkienism.

A question about the book, though:are we suppose to infer Mappo just straight-up died when he went tumbling off the cliff with that demon and Icarium woke up with that random rear end in a top hat? Or if a straight yes/no is going to spoil something, will the answer be 'just keep reading'?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Keep reading.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
That sequence in The Bonehunters is definitely my favorite part of the series. The sense of immediacy, and the way that each character gets their own chance to shine. It's really brilliantly put together.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Meinberg posted:

That sequence in The Bonehunters is definitely my favorite part of the series. The sense of immediacy, and the way that each character gets their own chance to shine. It's really brilliantly put together.
My copy of The Bonehunters also has my favorite cover out of all the Erickson novels I've picked up, and it seems to be entirely accurate to the story despite looking ridiculously strange until I'd read it.

I love the surprised look on the face of the undead dude on the roof.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I still can't imagine why they picked, out of all the awesome events in the book (probably the most 'events connected loosely' out of all the series) they picked the wagon rolling down the slope.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Phone posting so I can't really do a whole review, by I finished willful child. It was fun, though I'm not sure you can make a whole series out if it which is what it's looking like.

If anyone else wants a read an ARC went up on eBay today: xxx

edit: Whoops looks like that's not true and my rss reader hosed up. :(

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 4, 2014

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Assail is out, I just got the book at Barnes and Noble. Here's hoping ICE did it justice!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

All signs point to nothing amazing unfortunately.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

Keep reading.

The answer is always:
Keep reading, since it will give you the answers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Meinberg posted:

I love the entire battle of Y'Ghatan, but that is by far the best part of it. It's so chilling and terrifying.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Elyv posted:

I love the entire battle of Y'Ghatan, but that is by far the best part of it. It's so chilling and terrifying.

I'm also reading bonehunters at the moment and I gotta admit that book was kinda too slow ,even for malazan standards, at the beginning and then Y'Ghatan happened.I just hope book will have some more exciting parts like that!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Deranged M posted:

I'm also reading bonehunters at the moment and I gotta admit that book was kinda too slow ,even for malazan standards, at the beginning and then Y'Ghatan happened.I just hope book will have some more exciting parts like that!

Keep reading.

The ending is just great.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ugh, the Shake story arc never really paid off.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

amuayse posted:

What? I thought that story line had one of the best endings of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

amuayse posted:

Filthy untruth. Yedan Derryg out-metals Karsa. Did not expect that from anyone, let alone the Shake storyline.