Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Most are an improvement but the ones for hbp and dh are a step back. The original covers for those were already perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I much prefer Kazu Kibuishi's covers. Pity they're paperback-only so that I can't really justify owning them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So, you guys discussed the Cormoran Strike books here?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Here's something that people might be interested in: The first two (of three) Magician books by Lev Grossman are only $2.99 on Kindle today. I've seen them recommended in this thread so I figured I'd mention it.

Book 1
Book 2

I guess the third book was just published last week too.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Davros1 posted:

Sigh I guess I'm the only one who was happy that Harry and Ginny ended up together.

Ha! Try being a Harry/Luna shipper.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

CountFosco posted:

Ha! Try being a Harry/Luna shipper.

I feel like Harry/Luna shippers are happy anyway because to be the kind of person who ships Harry and Luna you just have to be happy all the time and not be fazed by anything?

Like me! :downs:

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Speaking of book names, although it is one of my favorite books, the name Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire might sound cool, but for all the other books the title names either the final goal of the book (SS, CoS, DH) or the thing that drives the plot throughout the book (PoA, OotP, HBP). In my opinion, the fourth book should have been called Harry Potter and the Triwizard Tournament.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

King of Foolians posted:

Speaking of book names, although it is one of my favorite books, the name Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire might sound cool, but for all the other books the title names either the final goal of the book (SS, CoS, DH) or the thing that drives the plot throughout the book (PoA, OotP, HBP). In my opinion, the fourth book should have been called Harry Potter and the Triwizard Tournament.

I've always agreed but in most circles it seems spergy to suggest that a book could've been better if it did something differently? So I've mostly gone into denial about it.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

King of Foolians posted:

Goblet of Fire sounds more creepy and mysterious, though!

I was just reading through GoF again (for maybe the third time?) and I noticed this: Remember back before the final book came out, and everyone was debating about whether or not Snape was a good guy or a bad guy? And no one really had any details to back up their claims one way or another, other than they trusted Dumbledore or they thought he made a mistake.

I noticed this while reading, maybe it was a little easter egg left in to give a hint that Snape was ultimately a good guy.

Right after Voldemort comes back and calls his death eaters for the first time:

Voldemort was aware all along that Snape was a double agent?

When everyone comes crashing in to "Moody's" office at the end because they realize he took Harry:

If Snape is visible in Barty Crouch Jr's foe glass, doesn't that mean he's his enemy? Meaning... The enemy of Barty Crouch Jr. is our friend?

Anyway, not sure if this stuff has been mentioned before because I never really got in to conspiracy theorizing too much before the last book came out. I always thought Snape was good, full trust in Dumbledore :c00lbert:

cloudy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 12, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
It was Crouch's foe glass though, not Voldemort's, and Snape was at that moment intending to do him harm. It's an interesting find though.

Personally, I've always thought that considering Snape a "good guy" is pushing it a little bit, and it's one of the reasons I hate the epilogue. I mean, you have this genuinely awful person and (former?) supremacist making the lives of people around him miserable. Yet, everything is pretty much forgiven (and Harry uses him as the namesake of one of his children) because he served Dumbledore, something he only did as the result of guilt over Lily's death.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 12, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I don't think there was any real attempt to hide Snape as a good guy in the early books. If anything he, and to a lesser extent Draco, served as perpetual red herrings for the real villains. In the first book for instance Harry is convinced Snape is the one trying to get the Stone for the entire book.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

Personally, I've always thought that considering Snape a "good guy" is pushing it a little bit, and it's one of the reasons I hate the epilogue. I mean, you have this genuinely awful person and (former?) supremacist making the lives of people around him miserable. Yet, everything is pretty much forgiven (and Harry uses him as the namesake of one of his children) because he served Dumbledore, something he only did as the result of guilt over Lily's death.

Yeah, always agreed with this. Just the way he treats students like Neville or Hermione is almost sociopathic and you can't really palm that off as being him keeping his cover in front of Draco or whatever. Some of that stuff feels like it belonged in the magic boarding school parody the series started out with and clashes with the stuff it evolved into.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember reading some interview or something where Rowling said she was going to go with Triwizard Tournament, but later decided on Goblet of Fire because it sounded better as a title.

And Snape was always a huge rear end in a top hat, to the point where he wasn't even a good teacher. He knew all the stuff, but he never really taught the kids or helped them, only ridiculed them when they got something wrong. When Harry takes his OWL he even thinks about how not bad potions is when he doesn't have Snape around.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Most of the series worked for me, that way, except for Umbridge in book 5. Umbridge was totally over the line in book 5.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobjr posted:

And Snape was always a huge rear end in a top hat, to the point where he wasn't even a good teacher. He knew all the stuff, but he never really taught the kids or helped them, only ridiculed them when they got something wrong. When Harry takes his OWL he even thinks about how not bad potions is when he doesn't have Snape around.

I've definitely had teachers like this.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

howe_sam posted:

I don't think there was any real attempt to hide Snape as a good guy in the early books. If anything he, and to a lesser extent Draco, served as perpetual red herrings for the real villains. In the first book for instance Harry is convinced Snape is the one trying to get the Stone for the entire book.

I always liked how in the 6th book it actually WAS Draco trying to send all the cursed objects. (Of course it was more complex than him just being a bad guy).

And I use the term "good guy" very loosely to describe which side Snape was on. He was obviously on Dumbledore's side: the good guys. I didn't close my eyes and skip over all the times he was really terrible or something. (Though I think that makes the character a lot more interesting, he's got some deep dark poo poo in his past that he's never able to overcome. But at least he chose to go to the good side and try to defeat Voldemort.)

cloudy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 12, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Did you folks forget all the times Dumbledore was "really terrible or something"?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Did you folks forget all the times Dumbledore was "really terrible or something"?

Dumbledore's behavior was actually more reprehensible than Snape's. So much so, that when Snape realized that Dumbledore intended to sacrifice Harry to defeat Voldemort, that even Snape was grossed out. Also, Dumbledore's ineptitude and lack of attention is how Voldemort ended up being created.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

api call girl posted:

Most of the series worked for me, that way, except for Umbridge in book 5. Umbridge was totally over the line in book 5.

I think the literal abuse with the pen was a touch too much but Umbridge was a brilliant critique on the insidiousness of bureaucracy. In a series with a malevolent snake wizard dude the most evil character is a bureaucrat who is just doing their job.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Inveigle posted:

Dumbledore's behavior was actually more reprehensible than Snape's. So much so, that when Snape realized that Dumbledore intended to sacrifice Harry to defeat Voldemort, that even Snape was grossed out. Also, Dumbledore's ineptitude and lack of attention is how Voldemort ended up being created.

Yeah, Dumbledore lucked out - the gleam of triumph was more a gleam of "oh boy I'm not actually raising Harry to die anymore (probably), which was a thing that I was doing until this very moment". It is beyond belief that Dumbledore could have expected Harry and Voldemort to be connected again all along, so you kind of have to face the fact that when Dumbledore's doing his wise old man thing in the first four books and reassuring Harry that he can totally beat Voldemort every time through the power of love, he is giving these hopeful pep talks to someone he fully believes is destined to die and for whom there is basically no hope.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Voldemort = Hitler
Lucius Malfoy = Goebbels
Umbridge = Himmler?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

bobjr posted:

Of course he is, he's part of a grand tradition of Harsh Masters going back almost to the invention of the boarding-school genre (and who would have been very recognisable to anyone who went to school in Britain before the 90s; the trope is one of the things that gives the idealised schools depicted in the stories a connection back to reality). There's a reason this exists and became such an immediate, massive, lasting success and cultural touchstone, for instance.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

api call girl posted:

I thought Umbridge was the 'realist evil' in the books. Voldemort is this fairytale pure evil soul that most of us will thankfully never come across. It's hard to emotionally connect to. Umbridge is that evil bitch who taught you in 9th grade science class.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Trin Tragula posted:

Of course he is, he's part of a grand tradition of Harsh Masters going back almost to the invention of the boarding-school genre (and who would have been very recognisable to anyone who went to school in Britain before the 90s; the trope is one of the things that gives the idealised schools depicted in the stories a connection back to reality). There's a reason this exists and became such an immediate, massive, lasting success and cultural touchstone, for instance.

This is true, out of all the teachers we see at Hogwarts only like 2-3 are competent teachers.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

bobjr posted:

This is true, out of all the teachers we see at Hogwarts only like 2-3 are competent teachers.

Good Teachers
Flitwick, Sprout, McGonagall, Slughorn, Lupin, Moody(?), Quirrell(??), Hagrid(???), Grubbly-Plank, Sinistra(The biggest ? of all, since we never see a single astronomy lesson)

Bad Teachers
Snape, Binns, Trelawney, Lockheart, Umbrage, Quirrell(?), Hagrid (???)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

We never saw what sort of teacher Moody was, since it was Barty Crouch Jr teaching in his place the whole time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And Binns may be dreadfully boring, but at least he spends his class time conveying information to students rather than bragging about his fictitious accomplishments, torturing spiders, or carving poo poo into the back of student's hands.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Well change it to Barty Crouch Jr(?) who at least managed to teach his students something, unlike Professor Binns who only managed to teach Hermione.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Astronomy was one of those weird classes we never knew much about, because it was either them drawing charts, or the OWL which is interrupted by Hagrid wrecked Umbridge and Crew's poo poo.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I'm still pissed we never found out what the deal with Arithmancy was.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology

e: and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmancy

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

DontMockMySmock posted:

Magical maths, duh.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Yeah, but it was a separate class from Divination so what's the deal with that?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah, but it was a separate class from Divination so what's the deal with that?

Well it's mentioned in the books that Arithmancy is required to be a curse-breaker at Gringotts. So I'm guessing knowledge of Arithmancy is used for persistent spells like curses or enchantments rather than predicting the future. e: Since Hermione hated Divinitation and loved Aritmancy it could just be one of those things that muggle folklore misunderstood about magic.

Sort of like magical cryptography rather than predicting the future, maybe? I don't know I'm just speculating. Hermione was required to memorise charts which is consistent with "muggle arithmancy" (since they assign letters to numbers) and could also be some kind of mathemagical tables.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 14, 2014

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
This is Rowling we're talking about, it was "Magic + Math = magical accountant" maybe with a side of cryptography

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

These are out in the UK now.

"The beautiful new print editions were illustrated by the award-winning Jonny Duddle both inside and out, and also include a brand new map of Hogwarts castle and grounds, a biography of J.K. Rowling and some fun facts about the author.

In addition to this, you will also be able to see new illustrated pages about Pottermore at the end of each of the books, including lesser-known facts from J.K. Rowling’s exclusive writing for pottermore.com, encouraging new fans of the stories to discover even more about the world of Harry Potter beyond the series."

Has anyone seen them in the flesh? I want to see the first ever(?) official map of Hogwarts!

edit: n/m, I found it in about 30 seconds on Google:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

PLEASE USE POTTERMORE!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So the gate goes into the forbidden forest? Then again since that forest probably has every dangerous magical creature in existence it's not like you can sneak through it anyway.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Link to October 7 news article: "JK Rowling’s cryptic tweets hint at return to world of Harry Potter"

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/07/jk-rowling-tweets-harry-potter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Inveigle posted:

Link to October 7 news article: "JK Rowling’s cryptic tweets hint at return to world of Harry Potter"

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/07/jk-rowling-tweets-harry-potter

Whoever said that Rowling is like a girl who won't stop talking about her last boyfriend hit the nail on the head.

• Locked thread