Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mortimer posted:

thanks for buying me a dang ol new avatar

I wasn't even serious but god drat you guys are voracious

edit: thanks for calling me a human being, I appreciate that too. you sure do love your wizard poker

"You guys"

Clearly it was a coalition of people who bought you your avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Elyv posted:

"You guys"

Clearly it was a coalition of people who bought you your avatar

The Illuminati gave the order.

Why is everyone getting mad about foreign cards?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Foreign language cards aren't even remotely in the same eyesore league as white bordered or old framed cards.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Foreign language cards aren't even remotely in the same eyesore league as white bordered or old framed cards.

I play Revised basics in all of my Standard decks and it brings a smile to my face whenever anyone complains about them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Or playing your lands in front

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

qbert posted:

I play Revised basics in all of my Standard decks and it brings a smile to my face whenever anyone complains about them.

You play them with lands in front, right?

Could I play graveyard in front like legacy dredge, except without a deck that uses the graveyard?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Could I play graveyard in front like legacy dredge, except without a deck that uses the graveyard?

tell your opponent that the cards in your graveyard are public info and you're just doing them a favour

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

I have come around to not minding older cards in sets like Tempest. I still hate white border cards, if it's a cheap card like Duress I'll use a marker and black the border.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

All my Lightning Bolts in legacy Jund/RUG are Revised. They're my favorite cards in the whole deck. I wish I had Alpha/Beta/FBB duals so they'd be the only white bordered cards in the deck.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

a dozen swans posted:

tell your opponent that the cards in your graveyard are public info and you're just doing them a favour

I'm always quick to remind them of the current storm count, I'll just add this to the list

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

(not) Red text in English: 0/10

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mortimer posted:

I also play with a dice counter on the side keeping track of how many creatures are in my graveyard, another dice counter for how many spells have been cast so far each turn, and a third special Tarmogoyf dice, even though I'm just playing Mono-U Devotion.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I have five separate dice I use for floating mana. I always make sure I increment the dice as I tap the land.

edit: I really should get one for colourless.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

(not) Red text in English: 0/10
It should be in Cyrillic.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Always play Unlimited cards whenever possible. It's Beta-Lite! :getin:

I mean just look at that text!

Not centered, huge as hell, it has it all!

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 1, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mercury Crusader posted:

Always play Unlimited cards whenever possible. It's Beta-Lite! :getin:

I mean just look at that text!

Not centered, huge as hell, it has it all!

I just noticed the guy in the bottom-right of this card.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

neetengie posted:

It should be in Cyrillic.

Я погано Магія гравець.

私は下手なマジック選手です。

I think either would have been fine.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can't wait for the burgeoning movement of white borders being the new foils to really take off!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

vOv posted:

I just noticed the guy in the bottom-right of this card.

whooooooooooooaaaaaaa. I just checked, the blue one has a guy too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Can't wait for the burgeoning movement of white borders being the new foils to really take off!

I have unironically heard someone say "white-bordered is the new black-bordered" since it's getting harder and harder to play cards that have white borders.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

qbert posted:

I also play with a dice counter on the side keeping track of how many creatures are in my graveyard, another dice counter for how many spells have been cast so far each turn, and a third special Tarmogoyf dice, even though I'm just playing Mono-U Devotion.

Make sure you have a special coin you can flip over once you have threshold.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Я погано Магія гравець.

私は下手なマジック選手です。

I think either would have been fine.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use 選手/senshu ("player," like on a sports team) to refer to a Magic player before but if we combine our efforts we can get it started tonight

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Use spanish language cards, white bordered when possible. Foils, but only ones in terrible condition. Put your lands in front of your creatures. Turn all of your permanents upside down. Use your Yu-Gi-Oh sleeves and your MLP playmat. Keep track of life totals on four d6, adding more as your life total increases. Play a control deck whose only win condition is Elixir of Immortality. Become the president of tilt.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mango sentinel posted:

You joke but people are getting black bordered cards to have white borders. Its disconcerting to look at in person.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I play a Japanese hallowed fountain and a Chinese steam vents, as that was what I had to work with locally when I was needing them. I also have a few Chinese m13 cards, as my LGS owner was offered a box to make up for the fact that his vendor was short a regular box of m13.

What are your local stores charging for the new FTV? My LGS is trying to gauge interest, and he's having trouble figuring out what to charge.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gensuki posted:

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Legendary Land
Tendrils of Corruption deals 7 damage to target creature or player.
T: add B to your mana pool.

I wonder if a reason behind the Clans in Khans being Main>Ally> Enemy and not Main > Enemy > Enemy is because that is what the apocalypse set did? At least with the sanctuaries.

Its Main, Ally, Enemy and not Main, Enemy, Enemy because that way every 2-color pair "belongs" to a specific clan. Doing it with the enemy color as the main color would mean various 2-color combos could belong to multiple clans.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mortimer posted:

**by the art alone

When I played the Decipher Star Wars CCG, I unironically did this.

Of course, even at the end of its run SWCCG had way, way, way less cards than Magic does now.

Sep 13, 2007

Minority Deport posted:

Use spanish language cards, white bordered when possible. Foils, but only ones in terrible condition. Put your lands in front of your creatures. Turn all of your permanents upside down. Use your Yu-Gi-Oh sleeves and your MLP playmat. Keep track of life totals on four d6, adding more as your life total increases. Play a control deck whose only win condition is Elixir of Immortality. Become the president of tilt.

Yugioh cards are smaller than Magic cards so you can't use the sleeves. And when I play EDH there are people who actually use d6s for their life total. I've screwed someone up tossing some d6 I let them borrow into the tin I keep the dice in. I also tried playing with cards facing towards the opponent because my thought process was, "I don't know many cards and it would be nice to have to continuously flip around cards and read them so I'll do that for my opponent!" That didn't last long, people got confused and didn't know why I played the card like I did.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 1, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Minority Deport posted:

Turn all of your permanents upside down.

Does this really bother people? Generally I'd appreciate having an easier time reading my opponent's cards.

Sep 13, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Does this really bother people? Generally I'd appreciate having an easier time reading my opponent's cards.

Holy poo poo we're soul partners.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
One of the things I find funniest about this whole thing was that in the case that set it off, Celestial Colonnade doesn't actually look anything at all like either printing of Hallowed Fountain unless you have such bad eyesight that you're going off the very general color hues in the textbox and art (and not even the art, really. I mean, look at them). At that point aren't you going to be equally if not more screwed if you're relying on being able to eyeball the card name from across the table?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

JerryLee posted:

One of the things I find funniest about this whole thing was that in the case that set it off, Celestial Colonnade doesn't actually look anything at all like either printing of Hallowed Fountain unless you have such bad eyesight that you're going off the very general color hues in the textbox and art (and not even the art, really. I mean, look at them). At that point aren't you going to be equally if not more screwed if you're relying on being able to eyeball the card name from across the table?

He had his lands at the back (the incorrect way to do it) and the table was really wide. Color hues in the textbox were all I had to go off of and I didn't think to double check land identity before tapping out.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

Its Main, Ally, Enemy and not Main, Enemy, Enemy because that way every 2-color pair "belongs" to a specific clan. Doing it with the enemy color as the main color would mean various 2-color combos could belong to multiple clans.

That's a reasonable theory, but have they said that's the reason? Was it a problem in Alara that, say, a RG card could be either Naya or Jund?

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 1, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Bugsy posted:

You joke but people are getting black bordered cards to have white borders. Its disconcerting to look at in person.

It's very strange, a local player whited out his shocks so they'd be easier to fetch alongside his white bordered basics.

Minority Deport posted:

Keep track of life totals on four d6, adding more as your life total increases.

This is one of the only things magicians do that irrationally annoys me. Horrific nerd funk? I've smelled worse. Lands on top? Whatever floats your boat. Playing the farm draw points deck? I'll hate your guts but admire your dedication. But using the awkward pile of D6s drives me up the wall. Motherfucker I know you have a crown royal bag full of spindowns under your bed, I've seen you at more than one prerelease. Nobody in America has to pay for ballpoint pens if they don't want to and they literally hand us a piece of paper you can write the life totals on instead.

The only other thing that legitimately annoys me is when someone makes a big deal of playing with their playmat upside down so "you can enjoy the artwork :smug:." It's always something terrible and they might as we'll be flying a red flag that says "INSUFFERABLE" on it. I've never had anyone do the upside down card thing but I imagine that would get to me too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's a reasonable theory, but have they said that's the reason? Was it a problem in Alara that, say, a RG card could be either Naya or Jund?

They haven't, but that's my theory. It just makes too much sense to me.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If they go with two color gold cards in just each Clan (maybe they won't?) I think that is a very good theory indeed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bugsy posted:

I wasn't joking. I've heard people talking about stuff like all white bordered EDH decks. This sounds like a fun thing. Judge Promo white bordered Jace Beleren, let's make it happen Wizards.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mortimer posted:

thanks for buying me a dang ol new avatar

I wasn't even serious but god drat you guys are voracious

edit: thanks for calling me a human being, I appreciate that too. you sure do love your wizard poker

The only problem with your avatar is that the text is in English. :colbert:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Serperoth posted:

The only problem with your avatar is that the text is in English. :colbert:

And it isn' celestial collonade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
One of the main things that annoy me are the anime titty sleeves and playmats. Holy poo poo, jerk off at home on your own time. I don't care if you have MLP playmats/sleeves, I don't care if you're repping Grumpy cat, and, oddly enough, I don't give a rat's rear end if it's a Boris Vallejo fantasy titty chainmail bikini playmat(that might not be a real thing). Boris Vallejo's drawing women with giant tits, yes, but they're not 12(but she's really a 900 year old elf, so it's ok). My LGS doesn't carry them, you either bought them online or went to the dungeon LGS's in a surrounding town, so go play there with them and your greasy virgin friends.

My store has 12-15 year old girls playing there, dude, as well as some parents.

The other main thing that annoys me is people that take FNM, Game Day, and prereleases too seriously. If you're sitting across the table looking like you're seething and hate everything and everyone, and are going to stay loving silent, don't loving come out. Either play MTGO or go to an IQ or PTQ or GP or anywhere else. Just don't be a dick, man. If the game's that hard that that's the only way you can make decisions, maybe you shouldn't play at the regular REL.

• Locked thread