Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Vote A.

I'm sure all Monternos will agree that these measures will undoubtedly benefit our Empire in the scientific department. And that much is the foremost desire of our party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Is Science all the Monternos care for? The traditions of Rome, the culture of its people, the structure of it's government - shall that all be thrown away for slightly faster research? Are the decades of strife, revolt, unrest, and weakness worth slightly faster research?

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Is there any chance that multiplayer could occur in this LP as it did in GRtW? I ask solely for Somalia, wealthy may she be. Someone must tend to the struggling souls in the (second) greatest nation on this (or rather, ~that~) Earth.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I want to do MP at some point, but the next few weeks are tricky schedule-wise, so it'll have to wait a while.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

*leans back in her seat, smiling and laughing*

I didn't believe that I'd live to see the day when this was even an option. I believed this would be something on the table a generation or two down the line.

Let me first proclaim that the risks involved will be great. We will have to deal with the uneasiness, resistance, even open rebellion for years to come. But the end result is a Rome that follows in the footsteps of China. A Rome of equal to that of China. Perhaps in the future, a Rome greater than China. But beyond all else, a Rome that is modern. We will not truly be giving up anything Roman about ourselves. We will be perfecting it. We stand here now on a monumental occasion. Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears! This vote is not to bury Rome but to praise her!

For the future of Rome, I ##Vote A!

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 1, 2014

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

###Vote A

Progress waits for no one. Guns are the future.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

sniper4625 posted:

Are the decades of strife, revolt, unrest, and weakness worth slightly faster research?

You raise an excellent question, Senator. And the answer is "yes," because research is where guns come from. And without those, we will have decades of peace, prosperity, and strength, which will all gradually fade away as we are surpassed by those who join the march of progress. And the strife, revolt, unrest, and weakness that follow that will be far longer than mere decades.

##Vote A Sinicize

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

*leans back in her seat, smiling and laughing*

I didn't believe that I'd live to see the day when this was even an option. I believed this would be something on the table a generation or two down the line.

Let me first proclaim that the risks involved will be great. We will have to deal with the uneasiness, resistance, even open rebellion for years to come. But the end result is a Rome that follows in the footsteps of China. A Rome of equal to that of China. Perhaps in the future, a Rome greater than China. But beyond all else, a Rome that is modern. We will not truly be giving up anything Roman about ourselves. We will be perfecting it. We stand here now on a monumental occasion. Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears! This vote is not to bury Rome but to praise her!

Traitor! Rome will follow no one, for none are greater! It may seem that these vile heathens have an advantage over us, but to say they are our betters? To say that our only path forward is to trod along in their wake like some whipped slave? Never!

We must forge our own path, go our own way, to show this pagan filth who the real masters of the world are. Anything else is defeat, dissolution, and failure!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Normally, I would be against this to the very end. But this is the age of pragmatism and good god I am sick of having my rear end kicked half the time. More research is more guns and we need more guns.

##Vote A: Sinicize

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
To confirm, people know we aren't getting better units, right? We'll be able to research better guns slightly faster, I guess, but that's about it.

Not to mention that we seem to be ahead of our time in terms of the units we have now, so the military use will be limited for decades beyond the decades of strife it will take to Sinicize.

VVV Thank you! Someone who talks sense. The second part, at least. We do not follow the paths of others, we form our own!

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 1, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

##Vote B.

I like the East-West role reversal, and Sinicizing now would end the fun prematurely. I want the Vicky part of the LP to see Rome dealing with all the poo poo OTL Qing Dynasty did. Plus, there is no reason for the Romans to want to upend their culture. That kind of thing only happens when a nation has been repeatedly beaten into the dirt, and from their perspective Rome is the strongest its been in a very long time.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We won't be getting their guns. We'll just be renouncing everything we have worked for for the sake of becomng just another part of the Ming Frontier. Let me emphasise that: This won't get us the better units. We'd still be inferior, and there is no point aping their ways if the benefits are this mediocre.

##Vote B.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

##Vote A!, the march of progress must continue.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Traitor! Rome will follow no one, for none are greater! It may seem that these vile heathens have an advantage over us, but to say they are our betters? To say that our only path forward is to trod along in their wake like some whipped slave? Never!

We must forge our own path, go our own way, to show this pagan filth who the real masters of the world are. Anything else is defeat, dissolution, and failure!

Shout traitor all you want, I'm the Douxes will be happy sticking to the old traditions.

AJ_Impy posted:

We won't be getting their guns. We'll just be renouncing everything we have worked for for the sake of becomng just another part of the Ming Frontier. Let me emphasise that: This won't get us the better units. We'd still be inferior, and there is no point aping their ways if the benefits are this mediocre.

The government will also be reorganized and updated into a new Byzantine system of government. Better technology and better government are certainly not mediocre benefits.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

##Vote B

Sinicizing doesn't really make sense - the Empire has already gone through a great upheaval in how its bureaucracy and administration work. In my opinion, it makes for a better narrative for Rome to hang on to something that plays a big role in its national identity.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

StrifeHira posted:

Shout traitor all you want, I'm the Douxes will be happy sticking to the old traditions.

The government will also be reorganized and updated into a new Byzantine system of government. Better technology and better government are certainly not mediocre benefits.

The reorganisation will cripple us at the time we are most vulnerable. In all honesty, the new system of government won't help us given our present situation. The costs far outweigh the benefits, and we will be set back in our progress.

There is no guarantee that any government that emerges would even be Byzantine.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

StrifeHira posted:

New does not always mean better (and especially if we're the ones forming it, lp's have taught me.). You would throw away our culture, our history, our language, everything that makes us Roman! Why did we fight against the Ming invasion, why did we fight against Da Qin and the Ming Successor States, why did we fight for one minute if we were going to surrender our Empire peacefully?

While I certainly disagree with the stance my colleague took regarding the rebellious douxes, he is right, in this instance. We are Rome, not Ming. We must forge our own path, not seek to mimic others.

Edit: Impy beat me to the punch. Well said, and to the poster above him. Sinicization does not make sense beyond the desire of some for progress at any cost. The people will reject this mandate, and rightfully so.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 1, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

If we are to be the masters of our future, it must be on our own terms. We shall build our society, one that mimics no-one else and builds on hundreds of years of our history, rather than on the experiences of a people from another side of the globe.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Voting #A just because I want to see all the rebellions and general chaos the process will cause.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

China is simply better than Rome, and its example must be followed. A

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The Black Chamber has cast its vote.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

The reorganisation will cripple us at the time we are most vulnerable. In all honesty, the new system of government won't help us given our present situation. The costs far outweigh the benefits, and we will be set back in our progress.

There is no guarantee that any government that emerges would even be Byzantine.

The time we were most vulnerable in recent memory was when the Regency Council for the late Empress Hypatia took over. We have the proven blood of Caesar himself on the throne, a woman, an Empress who has reconnected the Empire by land. The hard times to come will be temporary and insignificant, and most importantly at a point where the Empire is strong instead of where she is weak. Would it be preferable for this to happen 300 years down the line? Because progress will happen. It's only a matter of time.

sniper4625 posted:

New does not always mean better (and especially if we're the ones forming it, lp's have taught me.). You would throw away our culture, our history, our language, everything that makes us Roman! Why did we fight against the Ming invasion, why did we fight against Da Qin and the Ming Successor States, why did we fight for one minute if we were going to surrender our Empire peacefully?

While I certainly disagree with the stance my colleague took regarding the rebellious douxes, he is right, in this instance. We are Rome, not Ming. We must forge our own path, not seek to mimic others.

How much are we really throwing away? Will the statues of Augustus crumble, will every copy of the Alexiad burn, will the Hagia Sophia come crashing down because we choose to advance? We will still be Rome. We will be a stronger Rome. A better Rome. A modern Rome.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Vote B

remove pork bun! REMOVE PORK BUN!

Changed to ##Vote A

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 1, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

StrifeHira posted:

The time we were most vulnerable in recent memory was when the Regency Council for the late Empress Hypatia took over. We have the proven blood of Caesar himself on the throne, a woman, an Empress who has reconnected the Empire by land. The hard times to come will be temporary and insignificant, and most importantly at a point where the Empire is strong instead of where she is weak. Would it be preferable for this to happen 300 years down the line? Because progress will happen. It's only a matter of time.

It is true, the flower of Rome has bloomed of late. This proposed sinicisation will soon trample it back into the muck. We have the blood of Ceasar on the throne - Let's keep it there, not get it killed in the morass of rebellions and opportunistic invasions that will follow.

We'd be putting ourselves through unmitigated disaster, and at the end of it, we'd be further behind than we were at the start, with even less chance of ever catching up. We cannot modernise by clinging to the past, that includes their past as well as ours. They're off moving the cutting edge forward, whilst we will be left working out how to put together their outmoded castoffs, and the overall outcome will be we remain just as inferior at the end as at the beginning, except we will have forsaken a position of strength for a position of weakness, yet another upheaval in the government with the one instigated by the De Mowbrays still fresh in living memory. One upheaval a generation is enough, especially with so pitiful and useless an outcome.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
## Vote A. 'Tradition' is just another word for 'inertia'. A state which is content to coast along on tradition will find itself left behind by more forward-thinking states. Let the "Holy Romans" and the Scottish cling to the past, the strength of Rome is in looking towards the future.

edit: ˅˅˅ So I do. Thanks for catching that.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 1, 2014

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Caustic Soda posted:

## Vote B. 'Tradition' is just another word for 'inertia'. A state which is content to coast along on tradition will find itself left behind by more forward-thinking states. Let the "Holy Romans" and the Scottish cling to the past, the strength of Rome is in looking towards the future.

Thiiiiiiiiiink you mean A there buddy. Unless you are voting not to "Westernize"? Because it kind of sounds like you are.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

To confirm, people know we aren't getting better units, right? We'll be able to research better guns slightly faster, I guess, but that's about it.

Not to mention that we seem to be ahead of our time in terms of the units we have now, so the military use will be limited for decades beyond the decades of strife it will take to Sinicize.

VVV Thank you! Someone who talks sense. The second part, at least. We do not follow the paths of others, we form our own!

I know we won't be getting different units. But 20% faster tech is 20% faster guns.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
## Vote B Rome is and should remain a distinctly Western state, one that will lead its neighbours along our own path. We shall surpass the East on our own merits, not by bending the knee to Da Qin.

Also, we already adopted the examinations and bureaucracy. How can we practically become more Chinese?

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

##Vote A We must modify our culture... Build a new new structure underneath the fabric of our empire. If we adopt the ways of the Ming we may be able to gain an edge over them while maintaining our Roman way of life.
-Senator Maryam Osman

LordGugs fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 1, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

##Vote B

We are not China. We are Europe. And as Europe, as the Byzantine Empire of Rome, we must go forward. To Sinicize would be to give that up and follow China's cue instead of forging our own path.

NewMars posted:

I know we won't be getting different units. But 20% faster tech is 20% faster guns.

It's really not going to be that much faster. The Ottomans in EU4 are tech speed 125%, and unlike us have pretty much no way to get neighbour bonii whereas we have all of Europe, and they kick rear end nonetheless. And besides as sniper pointed out we are already ahead of time in military tech - faster research won't *really* benefit us militarily. So in exchange for basically nothing of much use, Sinicising will throw our Empire's culture and our unique-in-the-world narrative under the bus.

I mean there's being a Monternos and wanting faster research sure but there's also being willing to act massively self-destructively because you've been seduced by China's stupid sexy research speed and the difference between the two on this vote is pretty drat blurred.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

##Vote A!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

##vote A

We may suffer in the short term by adopting certain systems from the East. We may be assaulted by our foes, and the rabble may turn against us. We may find our halls torn with internecine conflict, and blood washing the streets of our city.

But these things are only temporary. We have people enough and material enough and will enough to endure the coming tribulations, and emerge into a brilliant new era.

And just imagine the efficiency that will be born out of this. A reduction in waste and poor planning, more centralized authority, and all the best that the world has to offer, while filtered through the lens of our own Western ideals. Once we've implemented this program, we will be set to become the best and brightest of all nations of this world.

Not to mention all that lovely architecture that we can implement.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

YF-23 posted:

But there's also being willing to act massively self-destructively.

I think you've nailed the attraction of A, here.

Goons tend to be anti blobbing, we want to go full Denmark instead.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
##vote A

Rome has always looked east for answers. Constantine looked east to set up his second Rome, and must we look to our east for the riches the Ming Brought with them!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

##Vote B

Progress only goes so far, and such an incredible shift in society can only have an absolutely catastrophic effect on the stability and peace of the realm.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

I kinda wish we had the option to go halfway, adopt some Sinacised things whilst remaining at our core Greeks. Basically I think it would be a shame to become China in togas. I'd much rather we be Romans in Silk Togas, changing what we need to remain moderately competitive whilst at the same time remaining the same imperial, expansionist, xenophobic, overly-zealous when the mood strikes, drunken, accepting, and tolerant contrarians we've always been.

It would be a shame, after all, if instead of wine the drink of choice during senate sessions became tea. My suggestion being we compromise with Coffee with a shot of grain alcohol in it to make the debates pass more pleasurably.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

BwenGun posted:

I kinda wish we had the option to go halfway, adopt some Sinacised things whilst remaining at our core Greeks. Basically I think it would be a shame to become China in togas. I'd much rather we be Romans in Silk Togas, changing what we need to remain moderately competitive whilst at the same time remaining the same imperial, expansionist, xenophobic, overly-zealous when the mood strikes, drunken, accepting, and tolerant contrarians we've always been.

It would be a shame, after all, if instead of wine the drink of choice during senate sessions became tea. My suggestion being we compromise with Coffee with a shot of grain alcohol in it to make the debates pass more pleasurably.

Essentially, that's the status quo: We already made a shift towards China with the changes to our bureaucracy. This does nothing but cripple us, as opposed to keeping up thanks to our universities.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Scientific progress is all well and good, but we would no longer be Rome and would effectively shoot ourselves in the foot, as other Senators have pointed out.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

##Vote B

Rome forges its own path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cestrian posted:

I think you've nailed the attraction of A, here.

Goons tend to be anti blobbing, we want to go full Denmark instead.

The main way A will destroy us is not in the gameplay effects though. It's in the narrative. We will consign ourselves to being a country within the wider Chinese cultural sphere of influence, whereas right now we are one of the two leading powers in our wider cultural sphere. Right now we're Rome, one of Europe's biggest baddest guys around. If we Sinicise what will we be? We will align ourselves closer to the east than the west, and as such we will turn into little more than the butt-end of the Silk Road, just another realm at the far periphery of the Middle Kingdom's influence. It's the choice to play second fiddle to China, because even if we then somehow surpass them it will only be because we follow their tune instead of holding up on our own merits. Something like that would be a hollow victory, and compared to that a glorious defeat is vastly preferable.

• Locked thread