Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jeffrey posted:

Why? Doesn't the rule apply like anything else, if it's low enough aren't you better off investing your money and paying the minimum? Are there special rules for underwater car loans?

You're forgetting to price in the additional risk you are taking on by using borrowed money to invest.

Edit: Say the investment goes to crap. You're out the investment and still are on the hook to repay the loan.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

blugu64 posted:

You're forgetting to price in the additional risk you are taking on by using borrowed money to invest.

Edit: Say the investment goes to crap. You're out the investment and still are on the hook to repay the loan.

Well sure, I'm assuming a reasonable index fund and a cash reserve. (If SPY goes to 0 you probably won't have to pay back your car loan either in the wartorn hellhole this place would become.) I just mean that, if the borrowed money for the car is small relative to your assets, it seems win win to borrow money at a low enough interest rate. I often hear advice to people paying down a mortgage to pay the minimum if their rate is low enough, I presume you'd disagree with that advice in the case that the home is underwater? (Obviously a car's value over time is much more predictable than a house's.)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I admit I'm a bit more financially conservative then most, but I'd hesitate to specifically borrow money to invest. Housing is somewhat different due to the scale of the costs involved, and it not necessarily being a depreciating asset, but paying down that loan is going to be pretty high up on my list.

Edit: I won't belabor it, but that's my general thought process. Obviously different people have different risk tolerance.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 30, 2014

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Jeffrey posted:

Why? Doesn't the rule apply like anything else, if it's low enough aren't you better off investing your money and paying the minimum? Are there special rules for underwater car loans? (I'm assuming you have enough money to cover the difference should you have to pay it - obviously buying more car than you can afford is a mistake.) If I can buy a $5000 car at 1% with $1000 down I'm going to do it even if I could pay in cash. (My numbers are clearly made up here.)

People keep talking about doing that but the number of people who actually do it is probably miniscule. The number of people who realize a worthwhile profit even less. Nobody mentions the risk you assume either. Min/maxing a pile of unnecessary debt like some Level 80 Elvish Actuary in Wow sounds neat but it will leave you vulnerable.

Edit: good drat I type slow on my phone.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Every time I think it would be fun to own an expensive car, I think back to the fact that scheduled maintenance for my father's Mercedes costs several times what I pay for my Mazda 3. They try to fool you by giving you free maintenance for a few years, but I know better than to fall for that. A luxury car doesn't stop being expensive just because you've paid off the loan.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
This is the article everyone has been talking about : http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/07/08/this-is-what-happened-when-i-drove-my-mercedes-to-pick-up-food-stamps/

quote:

Sara Bareilles played softly through the surround-sound speakers of my husband’s 2003 Mercedes Kompressor as I sat idling at a light. I’d never been to this church before, but I could see it from where I was, across from an old park, abandoned in the chilly September air. The clouds hung low as I pulled the sleek, pewter machine into the lot. But I wasn’t going to pray or attend services. I was picking up food stamps.

Even then, I couldn’t quite believe it. This wasn’t supposed to happen to people like me.

I grew up in a white, affluent suburb, where failure seemed harder than success. In college, I studied biology and journalism. I worked for good money at a local hospital, which afforded me the opportunity to network at journalism conferences. That’s how I landed my first news job as an associate producer in Hartford, Conn. I climbed the ladder quickly, free to work any hours in any location for any pay. I moved from market to market, always achieving a better title, a better salary. Succeeding.

2007 was a grand year for me. I moved back home from San Diego, where I’d produced ‘Good Morning San Diego.’ I quickly secured my next big gig, as a producer in Boston for the 6 p.m. news. The pay wasn’t great, but it was more than enough to support me. And my boyfriend was making good money, too, as a copy editor for the Hartford Courant.

When I found out I was pregnant in February 2008, it was a shock, but nothing we couldn’t handle. Two weeks later, when I discovered “it” was actually “they” (twins, as a matter of fact), I panicked a little. But not because I worried for our future. My middle-class life still seemed perfectly secure. I just wasn’t sure I wanted to do that much work.

The weeks flew by. My boyfriend proposed, and we bought a house. Then, just three weeks after we closed, the market crashed. The house we’d paid $240,000 for was suddenly worth $150,000. It was okay, though — we were still making enough money to cover the exorbitant mortgage payments. Then we weren’t.

Two weeks before my children were born, my future husband found himself staring at a pink slip. The days of unemployment turned into weeks, months, and, eventually, years.

Then my kids were born, six weeks early. They were just three pounds each at birth, barely the length of my shoe. We fed them through a little tube we attached to our pinky fingers because their mouths weren’t strong enough to suckle. We spent 10 days in the hospital waiting for them to increase in size. They never did. Try as I might, I couldn’t get my babies to put on weight. With their lives at risk, I switched from breast milk to formula, at about $15 a can. We went through dozens a week.

In just two months, we’d gone from making a combined $120,000 a year to making just $25,000 and leeching out funds to a mortgage we couldn’t afford. Our savings dwindled, then disappeared.

So I did what I had to do. I signed up for Medicaid and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children.

It’s not easy. To qualify, you must be pregnant or up to six months postpartum. I had to fill out at least six forms and furnish my Social Security card, birth certificate and marriage license. I sat through exams, meetings and screenings. They had a lot of questions about the house: Wasn’t it an asset? Hadn’t we just bought it? They questioned every last cent we’d ever made. Did we have stock options or pensions? Did we have savings? I had to send them my three most recent check stubs to prove I was making as little as I said I was.

On top of this, I had to get my vitals checked and blood work taken to determine whether I was at risk of improper nourishment without the program. It’s very bourgeois. Not. But I did it.

Driving to the WIC office the first time was scary. It wasn’t an office, like I’d thought it would be. It was the basement of a dreary church. We sat in disused pews, waiting to be called for our coupons, which would get us some tuna, some cheerios, a gallon of milk, baby formula.

Using the coupons was even worse. The stares, the faux concern, the pity, the outrage — I hated it. One time, an old, kind-looking man with a bit of a hunch was standing behind me with just a six-pack of soda, waiting to check out. The entire contents of my cart were splayed out on the conveyor belt. When he noticed the flash of large white paper stubs in my hand, he touched me on the shoulder. I was scared that he was going to give me money; instead he gave me a small, rectangular card. He asked me to accept Jesus into my heart so that my troubles would disappear. I think I managed a half-smile before breaking into long, jogging strides out of there, the workers calling after me as to whether I still wanted my receipt.

That was one of the better times. Once, a girl at the register actually stood up for me when an older mother of three saw the coupons and started chastising my purchase of root beer. They were “buy two, get one free” at a dollar a pop.

“Surely, you don’t need those,” she said. “WIC pays for juice for you people.”

The girl, who couldn’t have been more than 19, flashed her eyes up to my face and saw my grimace as I white-knuckled the counter in front of me, preparing my cold shoulder.

“Who are you, the soda police?” she asked loudly. “Anyone bother you about the pound of candy you’re buying?”

The woman huffed off to another register, and I’m sure she complained about that girl. I, meanwhile, thanked her profusely.

“I’ve got a son,” she said, softly. “I know what it’s like.”

That’s the funny thing about being poor. Everyone has an opinion on it, and everyone feels entitled to share. That was especially true about my husband’s Mercedes. Over and over again, people asked why we kept that car, offering to sell it in their yards or on the Internet for us.

“You can’t be that bad off,” a distant relative said, after inviting himself over for lunch. “You still got that baby in all its glory.”

Sometimes, it was more direct. All from a place of love, of course. “Sell the Mercedes,” a friend said to me. “He doesn’t get to keep his toys now.”

But it wasn’t a toy — it was paid off. My husband bought that car in full long before we met. Were we supposed to trade it in for a crappier car we’d have to make payments on? Only to have that less reliable car break down on us?

And even if we had wanted to do that, here’s what people don’t understand: The reality of poverty can spring quickly while the psychological effects take longer to surface. When you lose a job, your first thought isn’t, “Oh my God, I’m poor. I’d better sell all my nice stuff!” It’s “I need another job. Now.” When you’re scrambling, you hang on to the things that work, that bring you some comfort. That Mercedes was the one reliable, trustworthy thing in our lives.

That’s how I found myself, one dreary day when my Honda wouldn’t start, in my husband’s Mercedes at the WIC office. I parked gingerly over one of the many potholes, shut off the purring engine and locked it, then walked briskly to the door — head held high and not looking in either direction.

To this day, it is the single most embarrassing thing I’ve ever done.

No one spoke to me, but they did stare. Mouths agape, the poverty-stricken mothers struggling with infant car seats, paperwork and their toddlers never took their eyes off me, the tall blond girl, walking with purpose on heels from her Mercedes to their grungy den.

I didn’t feel animosity coming from them, more wonderment, maybe a bit of resentment. The most embarrassing part was how I felt about myself. How I had so internalized the message of what poor people should or should not have that I felt ashamed to be there, with that car, getting food. As if I were not allowed the food because of the car. As if I were a bad person.

We’ve now sold that house. My husband found a job that pays well, and we have enough left over for me to go to grad school. President Obama’s programs — from the extended unemployment benefits to the tax-free allowance for short-selling a home we couldn’t afford — allowed us to crawl our way out of the hole.

But what I learned there will never leave me. We didn’t deserve to be poor, any more than we deserved to be rich. Poverty is a circumstance, not a value judgment. I still have to remind myself sometimes that I was my harshest critic. That the judgment of the disadvantaged comes not just from conservative politicians and Internet trolls. It came from me, even as I was living it.

We still have that Mercedes.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

MrKatharsis posted:

People keep talking about doing that but the number of people who actually do it is probably miniscule. The number of people who realize a worthwhile profit even less. Nobody mentions the risk you assume either. Min/maxing a pile of unnecessary debt like some Level 80 Elvish Actuary in Wow sounds neat but it will leave you vulnerable.

Min/maxing finances is like one of the few times it's probably worthwhile.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jeffrey posted:

Why? Doesn't the rule apply like anything else, if it's low enough aren't you better off investing your money and paying the minimum? Are there special rules for underwater car loans? (I'm assuming you have enough money to cover the difference should you have to pay it - obviously buying more car than you can afford is a mistake.) If I can buy a $5000 car at 1% with $1000 down I'm going to do it even if I could pay in cash. (My numbers are clearly made up here.)
I wouldn't. Having debt sucks. You aren't calculating in risk of debt.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

blugu64 posted:

I admit I'm a bit more financially conservative then most, but I'd hesitate to specifically borrow money to invest. Housing is somewhat different due to the scale of the costs involved, and it not necessarily being a depreciating asset, but paying down that loan is going to be pretty high up on my list.

Edit: I won't belabor it, but that's my general thought process. Obviously different people have different risk tolerance.

But you're not specifically borrowing money to invest - you're just putting a minimal downpayment (and taking the rest of the debt at low interest) and using the money you would otherwise have put down to invest. This assumes you have your financial house in order and a healthy reserve in case something unknown happens (get gap insurance, it's like $30) but I'd prefer to either invest or stay more liquid rather than paying down a really low interest debt (assuming you're creditworthy enough to get a low interest loan). Nobody is ever putting more money at their mortgage than they really need to and that's (typically) at a higher interest rate.

MrKatharsis posted:

I'm sure the number of people that do it are minuscule but that doesn't mean it's somehow rocket surgery to generally maximize what your money does for you.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Barry posted:

But you're not specifically borrowing money to invest - you're just putting a minimal downpayment (and taking the rest of the debt at low interest) and using the money you would otherwise have put down to invest.
Money is fungible, so there's no difference between these two scenarios – in both cases, you're leveraged. However, one might argue that money borrowed at 1% is pretty cheap money (which doesn't lower the risk, though).

e: fixed quotes

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Money is fungible but cars aren't so much.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SiGmA_X posted:

I wouldn't. Having debt sucks. You aren't calculating in risk of debt.

I don't understand? What's the risk of debt? Yeah, I'm assuming that in the average case, the market goes up by more than 1%, but the worst case just means my cash reserves go down a little lower. I'm not talking about spending every penny or putting every cent I own into risky investments, so I don't see how a debt that's much smaller than your cash reserves sucks at all. What sort of financial planning can you do if you don't believe the market will, on average, go up. If I'm willing to invest at all then it seems like a no brainer to do it.

You aren't invited to my 401k raiding group.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
The trouble is a lot of people don't have enough money to not finance things. In the US, a car is needed to get to work (and groceries and errands and...) more often than not. You might get lucky and have a friend/relative/carpool, but then you might not.

Sometimes you know a decision sucks financially, but the alternative is far worse.

Folly
May 26, 2010
I feel like I'm losing track of the conversation here.

Barry posted:

But you're not specifically borrowing money to invest - you're just putting a minimal downpayment (and taking the rest of the debt at low interest) and using the money you would otherwise have put down to invest. This assumes you have your financial house in order and a healthy reserve in case something unknown happens (get gap insurance, it's like $30) but I'd prefer to either invest or stay more liquid rather than paying down a really low interest debt (assuming you're creditworthy enough to get a low interest loan). Nobody is ever putting more money at their mortgage than they really need to and that's (typically) at a higher interest rate.

The reason you don't finance a car in the US, is because you'll be required to carry collision and comprehensive insurance. The premiums on those policies cost more than the profits you'd make on investing the same money in nearly every situation. If you have the cash assets to replace the car, and you buy a cheap car, you're probably better off self-insuring against those particular risks.

Aerofallosov posted:

The trouble is a lot of people don't have enough money to not finance things. In the US, a car is needed to get to work (and groceries and errands and...) more often than not. You might get lucky and have a friend/relative/carpool, but then you might not.

Sometimes you know a decision sucks financially, but the alternative is far worse.

Is this in general? Or about the article? Because if it's about the article, then anybody who can pay off a 4 year old Mercedes should have an emergency fund big enough to buy a $10k-ish car. If this is just a general sentiment, then baring some terribly bad luck, you should only finance 1 car - your first one. After you pay it off, start making the payments to a self-insurance/next car account. Once you have enough in that account to buy a cheap replacement car, drop the extra insurance and start putting that money in the account too.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
You could also stop trying to act like you have more money than you really do and buy a car that costs nowhere near your yearly salary.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Folly posted:

I feel like I'm losing track of the conversation here.

Is this in general? Or about the article? Because if it's about the article, then anybody who can pay off a 4 year old Mercedes should have an emergency fund big enough to buy a $10k-ish car. If this is just a general sentiment, then baring some terribly bad luck, you should only finance 1 car - your first one. After you pay it off, start making the payments to a self-insurance/next car account. Once you have enough in that account to buy a cheap replacement car, drop the extra insurance and start putting that money in the account too.

I think I got lost, too. :( Sorry.

And in general. My plan is to do the 'finance a first car once I get a job that actually pays me and gives me hours' then squirrel up as I can. The only thing that makes my life (besides mom dumping over 10k debt onto me - thanks, mom!) tougher is waiting for a new SSN petition to go through and all that jazz. And the complications that go with a new SSN.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Aerofallosov posted:

And in general. My plan is to do the 'finance a first car once I get a job that actually pays me and gives me hours' then squirrel up as I can. The only thing that makes my life (besides mom dumping over 10k debt onto me - thanks, mom!) tougher is waiting for a new SSN petition to go through and all that jazz. And the complications that go with a new SSN.

Oh man, that sucks. That situation seems unfortunately common here on SA. Good job going through the steps to undo it and recover.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Aerofallosov posted:

Holy shiitake mushrooms. My mom frustrates me enough when she spends beyond her (meagre) means. That blows man.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
Since we're talking about moms I'm going to vent a little bit about my mom. She grew up with extremely wealthy parents and when they passed away she got 1/3rd of their total net worth, something in the area of 1.3 million dollars. before they passed she married a guy with drug problems and a propensity for prostitutes and when they eventually got divorced she wanted to be "fair" and basically let him walk away with half the money. As far as I know the guy has pissed all the money away on pointless purchases, drugs, and prostitutes, last I heard he was in the hospital for kidney problems. She purchased a large rental property with a mortgage (not really sure why she got a mortgage instead of buying it outright) and is currently in the process of paying it off, she also purchased another building that she supposedly got a great deal on that she operates a store out of but from what I've heard the store doesn't make much money at all.

Despite all this kinda iffy behavior I still assumed she was doing ok financially since she hasn't made any noteworthy purchases and lives extremely frugally aside from her property ownership. However, in March my brother's birthday came up and his old, ailing computer finally gave up on him so I convinced my mom to split the cost of building a computer for him, her half of which came to about 350 bucks. This was apparently too much money for her or something and so I agreed to let her pay it off in 3 monthly installments of 120ish dollars each, of which I've seen 2 payments in 4 months.

I really don't care about the money for the computer but drat how could she go from inheriting over a million dollars to having to pay off 350 bucks in monthly installments?! She should have been set for life! It makes me worry about her future but I don't want to seem pushy about trying to look into her finances.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Paiz posted:

I really don't care about the money for the computer but drat how could she go from inheriting over a million dollars to having to pay off 350 bucks in monthly installments?! She should have been set for life! It makes me worry about her future but I don't want to seem pushy about trying to look into her finances.

The likely answer is that she's probably not as well off as she appears to be, even at this point. It might be worth offering to help her, but don't be surprised if you get rebuked for it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paiz posted:

She's either a tightwad or lying to you about something.

Find out the truth now or else you'll be supporting her when she's heavy in debt.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
My mother has been mired in actual, real poverty for years and it's really depressing. It's gutted who she is as a person, strained and stretched our relationship, and is a burden I did not ask for that I'll keep having to deal with for the rest of her life. It really sucks, and over time even the best of people become bitter about it. If you can talk to your mom and help her come up with a plan you may be able to avoid some of it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
From a couple pages back, but for those of you curious about the peculiarities of the Japanese housing market, here's a link to a paper about it: http://www.nri.com/global/opinion/papers/2008/pdf/np2008137.pdf. It's quite interesting, been a while since I read it, but IIRC the authors are arguing that having the single biggest purchase a household makes almost always be hemorrhaging value over time creates a significant net drain/drag on the Japanese economy.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Let's lift the mood a little! :shobon:

My mom developed a drug addiction in her 30s. She lost a house in a lucrative part of the bay area to foreclosure, she took out debt in my name, we lived without running water or electricity for a year. My grandfather, horrible piece of poo poo that he is, took money from all of our family and put her into scientology rehab to the tune of $20k. For the last two years my brother and I have been paying her rent and helping her get by as she struggled as an older woman to find employment - she was a paralegal and librarian before, something that 50 year old women with enormous employment gaps are apparently not in demand for.

As of four months ago, she is working full time, living in the same town as my brother, paying her own rent, and beginning to come out of long stretches of serious and dark depression. She's been clean for three years :toot:

Sometimes helping your bad-with-money mom out isn't bad forever. My mom and I are very close despite all the hurdles.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Holy shiitake mushrooms. My mom frustrates me enough when she spends beyond her (meagre) means. That blows man.

I know the feeling. My mom is horrible about impulse purchases. She bought a bird on payments. A literal bird. :signings:

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 1, 2014

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Pompous Rhombus posted:

From a couple pages back, but for those of you curious about the peculiarities of the Japanese housing market, here's a link to a paper about it: http://www.nri.com/global/opinion/papers/2008/pdf/np2008137.pdf. It's quite interesting, been a while since I read it, but IIRC the authors are arguing that having the single biggest purchase a household makes almost always be hemorrhaging value over time creates a significant net drain/drag on the Japanese economy.

As the fellow kiwi goon above said the one who is bad with money is our respective Governments. Insane regulation is the problem in Japan. While it keeps a lot of people employed in the construction industry it's completely artificial, and the mortgage will destroy any wealth with the rapid decline in value of the house.

In terms of people bad with money half of my family is a disaster. I have an auntie who bought a small townhouse and had a mortgage when she hit retirement. Living from government pension payment to the next. It's difficult to know what she or my cousins are doing given we severed contact completely. The only contact was via my grandmother who my auntie constantly asked for money thinking half of my grandmother's money was hers. My auntie just hung around like a vulture and didn't care for my grandmother at all.

Then I have a number of friends who are just turning 30. Some finally have jobs that they can start improving their financial situations. In response some have increased debts with little to show for the loans and others don't accumulate debt but spend all their money on drinking. It's bad to think that someone drinking all their money is better than those working to go backwards financially.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Three kids, three mothers :stonk: :huh:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

This is incredible.

$15,000 due for unpaid child support. Warrant out for his arrest. His child support payments are $1300 per month. Rent is $1125. He makes less than just those two numbers combined.

They should seriously get a divorce. In my state at least that would make a lot of sense. Then she'd be a single mom on paper and get EVERYTHING paid for. Housing, child care, heating assistance, food stamps, and child help (WIC).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If anyone could've convinced me before that bad financials aren't a big deal when considering a significant other, this just obliterated that chance

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
She's not so hot herself, making $500 a month at a part time job that requires her to spend $75 on a smart phone, still going to school (so big student loans coming), very unrealistic picture of her future job prospects, and won't put the pressure on her ex to pay the child support he should be paying.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Nail Rat posted:

She's not so hot herself, making $500 a month at a part time job that requires her to spend $75 on a smart phone, still going to school (so big student loans coming), very unrealistic picture of her future job prospects, and won't put the pressure on her ex to pay the child support he should be paying.

How are you even under the impression he can pay it?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Harry posted:

How are you even under the impression he can pay it?

If he literally can't pay a dollar, he should start by getting a job. I don't have any idea what you're asking here. He has a legal obligation to pay and he's not even trying (read the thread), so she needs to get the courts involved and make him motivated to do so.

It's not that her ex isn't paying all of the child support owed, it's that he's not even trying to pay at all and she doesn't really care.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 1, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What kind of union journeyman job requires a smartphone? Same with part-time jobs, really. I guess they do need email, especially since they're cutting the internet, but... $150 a month, goddamn.

And in all this, she's worried about damaging her credit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why do people have so many god drat kids?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Because sex is funGod willed it

:colbert:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

He has a legal obligation to pay and he's not even trying (read the thread),

Dumb question, but how do you read reddit threads? Is there a way to sort by "things the OP has replied to and also keep the OPs replies intact" or do I have to sift through all the poo poo?

Reddit doesn't really make a good format for discussions...

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sex ed. in most of the US is really really REALLY bad. Like, straight up lying to the kids levels of bad.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Devian666 posted:

As the fellow kiwi goon above said the one who is bad with money is our respective Governments. Insane regulation is the problem in Japan. While it keeps a lot of people employed in the construction industry it's completely artificial, and the mortgage will destroy any wealth with the rapid decline in value of the house.

In terms of people bad with money half of my family is a disaster. I have an auntie who bought a small townhouse and had a mortgage when she hit retirement. Living from government pension payment to the next. It's difficult to know what she or my cousins are doing given we severed contact completely. The only contact was via my grandmother who my auntie constantly asked for money thinking half of my grandmother's money was hers. My auntie just hung around like a vulture and didn't care for my grandmother at all.

Then I have a number of friends who are just turning 30. Some finally have jobs that they can start improving their financial situations. In response some have increased debts with little to show for the loans and others don't accumulate debt but spend all their money on drinking. It's bad to think that someone drinking all their money is better than those working to go backwards financially.

Just yesterday it got better - South Australian Senator Nick Xenophon proposed allowing first home buyers to use their superannuation to help them gather that first deposit!

It's a bad idea because a.) his proposal was based around a similar Canadian scheme where people have to pay the money back within 15 years (and if the average first home buyer is scraping for that deposit already, are they really going to be able to pay it back?) and b.) it does nothing to improve the supply of housing in Australia, so all it will do is inflate costs as more money chases after the same amount of housing stock.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

froglet posted:

It's a bad idea because a.) his proposal was based around a similar Canadian scheme where people have to pay the money back within 15 years (and if the average first home buyer is scraping for that deposit already, are they really going to be able to pay it back?) and b.) it does nothing to improve the supply of housing in Australia, so all it will do is inflate costs as more money chases after the same amount of housing stock.

It is a good idea because of the things you just said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

You could also stop trying to act like you have more money than you really do and buy a car that costs nowhere near your yearly salary.
People's ideas of "I'm doing great now!" are completely ludicrous in this country and saying how a barely six figure incomes isn't life-changing when you live like "most people" makes me an rear end in a top hat and "completely unrealistic." The lady in the article's ideas of "doing well" by my definition are not that far from my idea of scraping by - $120k / yr as a working couple in an area where you could even buy a $250k house during the bubble is not "naming your price" as a professional in an industry that's considered booming. Similarly, during the worst of the recession I read about construction workers that had gotten "crazy" earnings of $80k / yr and they were buying the entire bar rounds and "that truck they'd always wanted." It's like people thought they won the lottery by temporarily doubling their income when it was barely liveable before. The perception Americans have about their personal wealth being so aggrandized bothers me when so many people are living on so little. Maybe I'm crazy, but suddenly making what would be a minimum wage income if pay-outs matched living costs since the minimum wage was introduced shouldn't make people think they won the lottery if you ask me. It's like we're in an alternate reality of the Onion article saying India's version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" that amounted to "Who wants 500 Rupees, a full meal, and a bus ticket home?"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I know a guy that has I'm counting now about 7 illegitimate children and counting. He's gone to jail several times for drug offenses and is thus not paying his child support, which he's skipped out on across the US. He pretty much can't stop loving random girls (he literally hosed a girl working at Pizza Hut while he was out eating) and hates condoms. None of the girls he's impregnated with his sadsack strain of loser (although I know in his mind he considers himself to be doing just fine because he gets laid so drat much, not a joke) will ever see a cent of child support from him, and somehow none of them have the guts to actually try to get anything from him. This is probably a guy that is a poster child for government-ordered sterilization policies and an extreme example admittedly, but I didn't think they existed until I met him.

I believe that the majority of people that rail against welfare and state support systems think of people like that and start by blaming the women because "they should know better." While it appears most of the girls this guy knocked up are as dumb as a box of rocks, you'd think by now that even dumb girls wouldn't randomly gently caress a stranger without a condom and be totally chill with finishing right in there, no pull-out. The just world fallacy is pretty strong with all of these armchair social theorists though just by putting primary blame on a person somewhere along the way toward libertarian ideals. But the US attitude of sex-shaming anywhere outside a 30 mile radius from a major metropolitan area is not delivering good results (no pun intended).

• Locked thread