Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Something else is going on - if you overheat the brakes, they still shouldn't lock up, everything should just go mush. My bet is the backflow port on your MC is clogged, so as the system heats up, it expands with no where to go, slowly completely applying the brakes. Either that or you have a really bad stuck piston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Silver posted:

Ah ok, yeah didn't know that boiling over - lose brakes. Yeah mine get really hot and lock up. I just rebuilt the rear master so fluid is new basically. I adjusted them before this and it did it, so then lowered the lever and it did it again, might have to just lower it some more I guess. Thinking I'm just dragging my toe when sitting and it's causing the brakes to overheat. When they lock up the rear disk and whatnot is hot as poo poo. I'll adjust again, would like to find a good middle ground as before this was happening and the reason I adjusted was because they were fine when sitting but when standing I have to really stab deep with my toe to get on the rear brake. Trial and error.

Did you rebuild the MC yourself or did someone competent help you?

I'd wager you've got caliper issues.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Neighbor helped. He's a full time mechanic and old school long time motorcycle rider/mechanic. Works well, I fix his computers and he comes over and helps me work on bikes when I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Brakes have locked up once before after adjusting pedal on my first race, then readjusted but it felt to low, readjusted again and started locking up. Still thinking I'm dragging my toe causing the rotor to heat up because time before last when they locked up when sitting down I kept my toe out and not over the brake and it was fine. Wondering now if I might have warped the rotor which is rubbing the pads and causing stuff to heat up. Going to bleed the brakes too before I go ride next.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went out for MX practice yesterday and had a new weird dirtbike problem!

It bogged down a couple times, presumably because I was low on fuel, so I filled it up. After filling the tank it started bogging and stalling in right hand banked corners. I couldn't reproduce the problem by turning right on flat ground, or tipping the bike to the right, but every time I got into a berm going right it would cut out.

Sediment in the tank or a clogged fuel filter are pretty much my only ideas at this point.

Also, I got to ride Gullous's new 350SX-F and holy poo poo it's awesome.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I hope you resolve that issue, Zool!

Here's a quick clip of me riding the 350. I had a minor case of whiskey throttle when I cased a triple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9RLw3uLwGA

I still get pretty bad arm pump after a few laps. Besides exercise and stretching, I think 'm not gripping the bike with my legs as much as I should. Something to work on...

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

jaysus Gullous I felt like you were going to die on every jump.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Went downhill mountain biking at Mount Snow in southern VT on Saturday and spent most of my time on the double black diamond shown here: http://vimeo.com/98672378

I've never done this before but I felt right at home. It was a really fun experience. Got lots of air, and had some great flow. My knee is feeling better and better these days. I do about 20 miles per day of XC mountain biking to try and strengthen it. Might be a bit premature, but I'll return to racing at the Rocky Mountain weekend in Alton NH in a couple weeks. Might just race sportsman though.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii
Hey guys, the KTM is back! But not for long.

So it turns out that the woodruff key that keeps the flywheel in place was slowly shearing off, and slowly ruining my timing. Then it completely failed, and the bike wouldn't run. Got a guy to fab up a new key, and off we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSoXu89TuSw

Sweet! Ordered some new tires, and in the meantime went out to shred whatever is left of the old ones. First, the kickstarter cracks and is completely unusable, then the key shears off again and strands me. I can't say enough how lucky I was to be in a group this time, and close to one of the road crossings. So my brother and I went off to get the trucks, only I now must mount my lady's mighty kx100 steed:

http://youtu.be/t77jzNdrMCo
That thing is super fun

So anyways, I ordered a new kickstarter/key, and once I get this bike running I'm selling it. I know everyone has had great luck with KTM's, but both that I've owned have just been awful, and I've spent way more time loving with them than riding them. My $1000 RM250 has been way more reliable, and it's a 96! So I'm shopping for a YZ250 now, because I love that ring-ding. :v:

Anyhow, if anyone in the Seattle area wants to buy an 18" Pirelli MT43 Trials tire/HD tube off me, I haven't sent it back, and it's supposed to be tits.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Awesome video, what cam and encoding settings are you using to get that kind of quality? Youtube seems to butcher my 1080p/30mbps/60fps uploads these days, especially with the kind of fast moving detail you get from trail riding.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I had an MX race yesterday. First moto I was in third for four laps, then got past into second. Second moto I stalled at the gate, and started in 5th about 15 seconds back, but made it up to 3rd on lap 4. I believe, by virtue of showing up to two out of three races, this puts me in the points lead.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Ay yi yiiii

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Awesome video, what cam and encoding settings are you using to get that kind of quality? Youtube seems to butcher my 1080p/30mbps/60fps uploads these days, especially with the kind of fast moving detail you get from trail riding.

So I'm using the GoPro Hero 3 (cheapest $200 one) at 720p 30fps to maximize the amount of video I can record.

For editing I use Sony Vegas, and these are my custom export settings that seem to work well:
code:
Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, AAC
Video: 29.970 fps, 1280x720 Progressive, YUV, 14 Mbps
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000
One thing I've noticed about youtube, is that it seems to handle overcast conditions a little better. Less contrast/color to compress? Not sure. The other video I posted is on a bright sunny day, same settings, but you can tell the detail suffers a bit when transitioning lighting.

Zool, where did you race? I went to the pacific raceways mx track yesterday to see the NW 2 stroke nationals, but not enough people showed up and it just turned into a practice day. Still fun to watch though, and I want to ride that track

Last call on that Pirelli trials tire, if anyone wants it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I was at Evergreen Motocross Park in Monroe. I've only ridden Pacific once, it was a good time but way more crowded for practice. They had been it split up into 6 groups, EMXP usually has 1-3 groups for practice depending on turnout, so you can get more seat time in there.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Anna wrote up the downhill MTB trip:
http://imaginarydirtbikeblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/revenge-of-rabid-gravitybike.html

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxLc3OuBkV8

Anna's editor and our friend, Kevin Novello, is competing in Romaniacs. He just finished the first offroad day. Here's his prologue video.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Gullous posted:

I hope you resolve that issue, Zool!

Here's a quick clip of me riding the 350. I had a minor case of whiskey throttle when I cased a triple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9RLw3uLwGA

I still get pretty bad arm pump after a few laps. Besides exercise and stretching, I think 'm not gripping the bike with my legs as much as I should. Something to work on...

Dude you gotta stop chopping the throttle and landing on your front tire.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Ay yi yiiii

VTNewb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxLc3OuBkV8

Anna's editor and our friend, Kevin Novello, is competing in Romaniacs. He just finished the first offroad day. Here's his prologue video.

I just watched his "Day 1" video too, and that part when he gets to that sheer quarry drop-off and just says "...holy poo poo."

If it looks that steep on a go-pro, then drat. :stare:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

He's out. Someone smashed into his knee on a downhill. Suspected ACL.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Ay yi yiiii
Oh no, that sucks! Hope he heals quick, ACL is a bitch.

Well, I'm waiting for my 96 RM forks to get rebuilt, and the KTM is out, so in absence of anything else to discuss, have some humorous videos:

http://youtu.be/K99USa84Ygk
Paul Bolton giving Jonny Walker poo poo

http://youtu.be/W0MVubuTi5w
Entertaining enduro track preview. If only we could get Grant Langston to do the same thing for the MX nationals

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Ay yi yiiii
Oops double post, sorry about that.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That lap with Paul Bolton was hilarious. Looks like I need to pay attention to enduro21

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Does anyone in the PNW know of or have a foam pit I can learn to backflip one of my dirtbikes into? I'll be on deployment for a few months but when I get back I know I will want to do something reckless!

PoopSok posted:

So anyways, I ordered a new kickstarter/key, and once I get this bike running I'm selling it. I know everyone has had great luck with KTM's, but both that I've owned have just been awful, and I've spent way more time loving with them than riding them.

Also, if you're giving a goon deal, I am in the Seattle area and have friends in desperate need of bikes.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Alright Dirtbike bros, I need some consolation on my seemingly broken XR400. I've been avoiding working on it and I need to get it back on the road for my own sanity. I use it as a daily commuter and general hooligan bike, but it is, in fact, a dirt bike at heart.

Here's the issue: rode it at the track, everything was perfect (though I believe it was the first time I'd ridden it hard in the rain). Brought it home and attempted to kick it over a couple weeks later. Kickstarter felt like there was very little compression. No stop on the TDC "detent", no massive amount of force required to get it over, nothing. Saddened, I checked the valves which were incredibly loose on the intakes and OK on the exhausts. I had adjusted the valves before and later realized they were too loose. Could a few hundred miles of loose valves cause them to tulip?

After checking the valves, I decided to open the bike up and check timing. Timing seems okay (off by half a chainlink and I can't seem to get it "perfect"). See picture below:

CCT seems OK. My buddy has a HF lighted inspection camera and I am going to take the exhaust header off and poke it into the cylinder to see if I can find any catastrophic damage.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? I REALLY miss riding this bike. I like it way more than my "spare" FZR600R I've been riding in its wake.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I don't have much experience working with 4t top ends but timing being off by any amount doesn't work well. Valves going loose in a short period of time also seems totally wrong. If it was me I'd find a decent mechanic to spend an hour looking it over.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Aircooled suprema- oh wait...

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

n8r posted:

I don't have much experience working with 4t top ends but timing being off by any amount doesn't work well. Valves going loose in a short period of time also seems totally wrong. If it was me I'd find a decent mechanic to spend an hour looking it over.

I misspoke last night, I set them a little too loose, they didn't become that way on their own but yeah after I take a few more looks I'll bring it in to a local shop.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Sounds like you need to do a leakdown test. Have you drained the oil? Anything that looks like the remains of a piston ring?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Zool posted:

Sounds like you need to do a leakdown test. Have you drained the oil? Anything that looks like the remains of a piston ring?

I have never done a leak down test. That should be exciting! I'll drain the oil early this week and report back.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You could do a compression test first. A lazy man's leakdown test.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

n8r posted:

You could do a compression test first. A lazy man's leakdown test.

Yeah that's what my quick Google search revealed. I know a compression tester is rentable, not so sure about leak down...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7828-Professional-Compression-Storage/dp/B00020BM28

Just buy one.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

went to a race Sunday - it dropped an inch of rain 20 mins after the start. I got wet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KBlv7WTMnE&feature=youtu.be

Helmet cam from a sweeper

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Ordered!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

went to a race Sunday - it dropped an inch of rain 20 mins after the start. I got wet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KBlv7WTMnE&feature=youtu.be

Helmet cam from a sweeper

That's a ton of water, hopefully you had rain gear and it didn't get too cold.

The WORCS series comes to Washington this weekend. I'm thinking about running the amateur class on Sunday.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

The WORCS series comes to Washington this weekend. I'm thinking about running the amateur class on Sunday.

Do it! Cut a video!

I've become bored with my local trails which is why I did the race last sunday - started in the sportsman line and trail rode it just for fun (reduce knee stress). In the same vain I'll be doing an enduro this sunday in Berwick, Maine. It's AMA restart format (no time keeping) so I'll sign up for my appropriate class and see what I can do. If I tweak my knee or something I'll just trail ride the rest of it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

Do it! Cut a video!

I've become bored with my local trails which is why I did the race last sunday - started in the sportsman line and trail rode it just for fun (reduce knee stress). In the same vain I'll be doing an enduro this sunday in Berwick, Maine. It's AMA restart format (no time keeping) so I'll sign up for my appropriate class and see what I can do. If I tweak my knee or something I'll just trail ride the rest of it.

Knee injuries sound terrible, good luck with the ride!

I rode my first enduro a few weeks back. I was expecting a spirited trail ride with clocks involved, but it was closer to a 65 mile, 4.5 hour hare scramble. I winged it without a computer or clock and ended up being 20 minutes slow at the end.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Enduros are fun. It should be a series of sprint races with 10-30 minute breaks in between. Next time you sign up make sure to ride with somebody who knows what they're doing as far as timekeeping and the experience will be much better.

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

Just finished fixing up this poor, neglected, YZ125. It came with just about every bolt stripped, pancaked pipe, no brakes, and a surprisingly stout motor. Looking forward to taking it on some trails/enduro riding.
EDIT: anyone riding trails in the LA area?

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013
Looks like i did my last ride in a while yesterday, me and a friend was out on the local enduro-trail, and he went first, he crasched in a rocky drop-down and i hit his bike and did an awesome stoppie flat out in second gear.
He was a bit bruised up but otherwise ok, i cracked two ribs (the same as last year), and tore the meniscus(sp?) in my right knee.
Well, atleast i can catch up on some bf4 i guess, and sorry if my spelling is hosed, but i feel a bit drowsy because of the painkillers

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Ay yi yiiii

Registered Loser posted:

Just finished fixing up this poor, neglected, YZ125. It came with just about every bolt stripped, pancaked pipe, no brakes, and a surprisingly stout motor. Looking forward to taking it on some trails/enduro riding.
EDIT: anyone riding trails in the LA area?

Looks awesome! What year is it, and how did you come across it? Always good to hear of wayward 2 strokes finding a good home.

Handcranked posted:

Looks like i did my last ride in a while yesterday, me and a friend was out on the local enduro-trail, and he went first, he crasched in a rocky drop-down and i hit his bike and did an awesome stoppie flat out in second gear.
He was a bit bruised up but otherwise ok, i cracked two ribs (the same as last year), and tore the meniscus(sp?) in my right knee.
Well, atleast i can catch up on some bf4 i guess, and sorry if my spelling is hosed, but i feel a bit drowsy because of the painkillers

This is why everyone needs to ride with a GoPro. Sorry to hear dude, hope you heal fast and can hit the trails again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013

PoopSok posted:

This is why everyone needs to ride with a GoPro. Sorry to hear dude, hope you heal fast and can hit the trails again!

Don't worry, my buddy had a go-pro chestmount, i think he caught the most of it, il see if i can get him to upload it on youtube when he gets home, and thansk dude, im just gonna take it easy, the biggest bummer is missing the awesome autumn riding, but, i hope for a mild winter :)

Edit: Oh btw, i bent the radiator on my wr250f like a pretzel, and it sprung a leak bad, now i know the wr250f works as an air cooled bike too, because gently caress walking back to the car with a busted knee, i think its time for a new bike anyways.

Handcranked fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 6, 2014