Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Razorwired posted:

So in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trillian takes Arthur to the kitchen and shows him a neat little gizmo that makes whatever you're craving. Why didn't Arthur just get a cup of tea out of the damned thing?

Three words: "Sirius Cybernetics Corporation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
In response to the dogs not dying, Seven Psychopaths is a great watch in that regard. Especially considering what Martin McDonagh wanted to do, and some of the dialogue specifically refers to it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

Technically happens in Max Payne (the video game, not the movie). Max has secured JUST enough evidence of the baddies' wrongdoings to preserve his innocence along with the help of the corrupt dude on the inside, but he gets arrested at the end of the game anyway because, despite being a cop, he did kinda go on a big gunslinging mobster-killing rampage through new york that ended with the murder of the CEO of one of the nation's biggest pharmaceutical companies.

By Max Payne 2 he's back on the force as a detective so obviously it didn't stick v:v:v

It's because the guy that Max works with, one of the board of directors of the company (some old guy that begrudgingly helps him kill the CEO because it means moving up in the ranks) helped him out, otherwise Max would spill the beans. One of the final lines of the first game is something like "I knew he wouldn't let the charges stick, if he knew what was good for him". Or something. It's been a while.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's the dude on the inside I was talking about. This guy:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Darth Freddy posted:

For all your dog dieing needs.

http://doesthedogdie.com/

My irrationally irritating moment is seeing a small gif of a crying cartoon puppy next to "Apocalypse Now".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember watching the 1963 version of The Lord of the Flies and when Piggy is killed by a rock I burst out laughing and the teacher got so mad she stopped the movie and bitched at me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oldpainless posted:

I remember watching the 1963 version of The Lord of the Flies and when Piggy is killed by a rock I burst out laughing

This happened to me too. It looks so goofy and dumb that I couldn't take it seriously.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My irrationally irritating moment is seeing a small gif of a crying cartoon puppy next to "Apocalypse Now".

Why? I mean, OK, the buffalo wasn't actually a pet, but it was killed for real.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Jay 2K Winger posted:

The same Illuminati that, minutes after meeting them, are wiped out by Aesir's goons, with only Woden surviving.

Judging from the fact that he just gets up and leaves, and the events of Max Payne 2, I would say he didn't just saw that coming, but actively anticipated it. Remember, in 2, it turns out that the Inner Circle is engaged in a civil war of sorts. Woden probably saw this as a good way to get rid of his opposition, which spectacularly backfires later when he and his allies are picked off on-by-one by Vlad.

Also, Max Payne 2 makes it clear that there were almost no witnesses of the events that happened in 1 that weren't dead or better of lying. So yeah, he's back on the force, but when he does the same rampage again he loses his badge and probably most of his life. And in Max Payne 3, the fact that you can't do the type of stuff Max does in any legal context is one of the major plotpoints.

Falukorv posted:

Anyone seen War Horse? I haven't, but from the looks of it i think i'll would have trouble rooting much for a horse in the middle of WWI where actual people are fed into a metaphorical grinder in droves. Really puts me off from seeing the movie, but i could be wrong, as i haven't seen it.

It really isn't as bad as you're afraid it is. Yes, you're rooting for the horse, but the horse also serves to connect a lot of smaller stories about the horrors of WWI. It also symbolises a form of hope and humanity that almost excuses the sentimentality: the potential for the boy and his horse to be reunited is the potential of holding on to sentiment despite the horrors of war.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BioMe posted:

Do you mean the blood still looked blue even outside the body?

Your blood is never blue.

That whole thing about CO2 laden blood heading back to your heart being blue is a myth.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3964

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bugs the poo poo out of me in any movie when someone needs blood, often for a magical ritual or something, and to get it they slice their palm open. Like, what the gently caress, that's a good way to permanently gently caress up your dexterity. Cut your arm, or a finger or something, don't drag a blade across your palm.

I know it's done in order for the prop knife to spit blood 'realistically', but have we really not made any progress in bloodening tools sfx in the past few decades?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Your blood is never blue.

That whole thing about CO2 laden blood heading back to your heart being blue is a myth.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3964

I know, what I meant was that "the blood is blue, must have suffocated" alone wouldn't be a that silly statement if the character might have meant how it looks through the skin and lips.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Morpheus posted:

Bugs the poo poo out of me in any movie when someone needs blood, often for a magical ritual or something, and to get it they slice their palm open. Like, what the gently caress, that's a good way to permanently gently caress up your dexterity. Cut your arm, or a finger or something, don't drag a blade across your palm.

I know it's done in order for the prop knife to spit blood 'realistically', but have we really not made any progress in bloodening tools sfx in the past few decades?

Well there's an element of "I am cool and badass for cutting my palm like its nothing" to those scenes. No one is going to be intimidated by the dread sorcerer Malice who winces when he pricks his finger.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
It would be cool to see this turned on its head--the dread sorcerer Malice holds aloft the Mystic Orb of Peligro and begins to recite an incantation, only to lose his grip and drop the orb because it's all slippery from his blood :laugh:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Who What Now posted:

Well there's an element of "I am cool and badass for cutting my palm like its nothing" to those scenes. No one is going to be intimidated by the dread sorcerer Malice who winces when he pricks his finger.

Along with that, just because dread sorcerer Malice is a cool, badass bastion of evil, it doesn't mean that they have enough knowledge of anatomy to realize they shouldn't do that poo poo.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

Along with that, just because dread sorcerer Malice is a cool, badass bastion of evil, it doesn't mean that they have enough knowledge of anatomy to realize they shouldn't do that poo poo.

Pretty sure they have a&p courses at evil medical school.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Morpheus posted:

With all the times the Klingons do this poo poo in DS9 you think their hands would be worthless.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
If The Walking Dead is any indicator, we've actually gone backwards. They opt for computer-generated blood when it's more convenient or cost-efficient, and it looks atrocious. Their producers have even said they've tried to find a line where they use it acceptably without going overboard because they know audiences have a tolerable limit they cannot cross, because it looks so unacceptable. I'll take clunky old blood props over that poo poo any day.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Slim Killington posted:

If The Walking Dead is any indicator, we've actually gone backwards. They opt for computer-generated blood when it's more convenient or cost-efficient, and it looks atrocious. Their producers have even said they've tried to find a line where they use it acceptably without going overboard because they know audiences have a tolerable limit they cannot cross, because it looks so unacceptable. I'll take clunky old blood props over that poo poo any day.

Something about the way they CGI blades into that show bugs me. None of the stabbings feel like they have any weight behind them, so it feels like they're playing make believe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The makeup in TWD has also taken a hit since AMC cut the show's budget early on. In season 1 it was really well done but now a lot of the zombie effects are either also CGI or just kinda poorly put together. Sometimes you still get moments where they're like "Oh right, this is a zombie show better make the zombies look good" but of late it's been kinda meh.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

For TWD, I think the worst was the big CGI explosion at the end of season 2. It was so unbelievably phoney.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Slim Killington posted:

I miss real squibs, compare the original robocop to any of the expendable movies. Squibs make such a huge difference.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

syscall girl posted:

Pretty sure they have a&p courses at evil medical school.

Maybe he spent all his time skipping class and drinking and making out with evil nurses.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

10 Beers posted:

Maybe he spent all his time skipping class and drinking and making out with evil nurses.

Evil med students are hotter. And what do they care about protocol? They're evil.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Darth Freddy posted:

With all the times the Klingons do this poo poo in DS9 you think their hands would be worthless.

Klingon anatomy is a little different (they have double the internal organs as backup!), maybe their hands aren't as badly affected as humans'?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Stottie Kyek posted:

Klingon anatomy is a little different (they have double the internal organs as backup!), maybe their hands aren't as badly affected as humans'?

Klingons and Krogan have the same bullshit explaination of being tanks?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Pidmon posted:

Klingons and Krogan have the same bullshit explaination of being tanks?

At least Krogan are giant dinosaur people with bodies big enough to fit the redundant organs. Klingons just have sweet beards and rubber foreheads.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Bloody Pom posted:

At least Krogan are giant dinosaur people with bodies big enough to fit the redundant organs. Klingons just have sweet beards and rubber foreheads.

Their extra organs are in their giant foreheads.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Stottie Kyek posted:

I thought it was that their organs have redundant parts in case of damage? I remember someone mentioning something about an eight chambered heart in that episode at least.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In the Harry Potter films and books, it's made clear that the prophecy of the one who can kill Voldemort is born at this month, etc, and it's between Harry and Neville. Voldemort goes after Harry, we know how that ends. But in the case of Neville, why the gently caress did the guys sent to kill him torture his parents to insanity and not loving kill the kid at all? You'd think at best they'd murder the kid and THEN torture his parents, but somehow the bad guys seem to forget their orders to loving murder the baby entirely.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Cowslips Warren posted:

In the Harry Potter films and books, it's made clear that the prophecy of the one who can kill Voldemort is born at this month, etc, and it's between Harry and Neville. Voldemort goes after Harry, we know how that ends. But in the case of Neville, why the gently caress did the guys sent to kill him torture his parents to insanity and not loving kill the kid at all? You'd think at best they'd murder the kid and THEN torture his parents, but somehow the bad guys seem to forget their orders to loving murder the baby entirely.

IIRC, Neville himself wasn't actually in the house at the time. Neville's parents were Aurors-- basically the Ministry of Magic's Dark Wizard Hunters-- and fairly well-known ones at that. The Longbottoms' torture didn't happen the same time as Voldemort going to kill Harry, it happened afterward, before all the Death Eaters went to ground. The Death Eaters tortured Neville's folks because they could, as one last "gently caress you" to the Ministry of Magic.

EDIT: Neville I think was in the care of his grandmother, and his parents had been out hunting Death Eaters and got caught.

Jay 2K Winger has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Jul 31, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm watching Once Upon A Time, and in the beginning of the third episode a princess and her prince are bouncing along in a horse-drawn carriage through the woods, their royal guard flanking them. But then, the carriage draws to a halt. The prince and princess exchange a few puzzled words, and then the prince exits the carriage to see a tree fallen across the road. Hmn. He approaches, and they study it for a few moments before he touches the log and says, "This tree didn't fall -- it was cut. It's an ambush!"

And then they're attacked.

Kinda lost the element of surprise there, didn'tcha? Couldn't you've moved any faster at all?

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Aug 1, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm watching Once Upon A Time, and in the beginning of the third episode a princess and her prince are bouncing along in a horse-drawn carriage through the woods, their royal guard flanking them. But then, the carriage draws to a halt. The prince and princess exchange a few puzzled words, and then the prince exits the carriage to see a tree fallen across the road. Hmn. He approaches, and they study it for a few moments before he touches the log and says, "This tree didn't fall -- it was cut. It's an ambush!"

And then they're attacked.

Kinda lost the element of surprise there, didn'tcha? Couldn't you've moved any faster at all?

"Jim! Jim wake up! The carriage we've been waiting three days for is here! loving hurry up!"

I'm more confused as to why they had the prince get out at all. Like, the royal guard doesn't have enough initiative to go move the tree instead of waiting for the prince to check it out personally and announce his royal suspicions?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really like when that happens in movies because it shows that the ambushers have a sense of humor. They wait until JUST after the heroes have realized they're hosed before they reveal themselves, usually with dramatic background music clatter and shots of the heroes swinging their heads around like idiots.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

Something about the way they CGI blades into that show bugs me. None of the stabbings feel like they have any weight behind them, so it feels like they're playing make believe.

In my old job we had to have knife defence training and a part of that was some guy coming at you with a rubber knife and we had to either get away or wrap their arm up. Of course it felt like make believe and nobody put any real effort in, until they bought out this chunky looking training knife that delivered electric shocks. People were genuinely desperate to do whatever it took not to get within an inch of that thing, even when the instructor was just standing there and he wiggled it about playfully people stepped back. That's got to be a great way to get a realistic performance out of your actors.

Also, one of the worst offenders for unforgivably lovely looking CGI blades and blood is Kitano's Zatoichi. Skip to 1:42 to see a typical example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuqwMQTc8cE. It just looks terrible and takes me out of every fight scene as I marvel at just how cartoony and dumb it looks. Then again, this film ends with a dance number so I guess I can't complain too hard about goofy poo poo in a samurai film.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dr Scoofles posted:

In my old job we had to have knife defence training and a part of that was some guy coming at you with a rubber knife and we had to either get away or wrap their arm up. Of course it felt like make believe and nobody put any real effort in, until they bought out this chunky looking training knife that delivered electric shocks. People were genuinely desperate to do whatever it took not to get within an inch of that thing, even when the instructor was just standing there and he wiggled it about playfully people stepped back. That's got to be a great way to get a realistic performance out of your actors.

Also, one of the worst offenders for unforgivably lovely looking CGI blades and blood is Kitano's Zatoichi. Skip to 1:42 to see a typical example. It just looks terrible and takes me out of every fight scene as I marvel at just how cartoony and dumb it looks. Then again, this film ends with a dance number so I guess I can't complain too hard about goofy poo poo in a samurai film.
Yeah, I really do like Kitano's Zatoichi, there are plenty of badass scenes worth it even with the CGI blood, but it definitely was the film that immediately came to my mind when everyone started discussing blood effects. It's kind of cinematically memorable how lousy the cartoony blood flying around is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

IIRC, Neville himself wasn't actually in the house at the time. Neville's parents were Aurors-- basically the Ministry of Magic's Dark Wizard Hunters-- and fairly well-known ones at that. The Longbottoms' torture didn't happen the same time as Voldemort going to kill Harry, it happened afterward, before all the Death Eaters went to ground. The Death Eaters tortured Neville's folks because they could, as one last "gently caress you" to the Ministry of Magic.

EDIT: Neville I think was in the care of his grandmother, and his parents had been out hunting Death Eaters and got caught.

They were torturing them to find out where Voldemort was. They did not know about the prophecy.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

CJacobs posted:

I really like when that happens in movies because it shows that the ambushers have a sense of humor. They wait until JUST after the heroes have realized they're hosed before they reveal themselves, usually with dramatic background music clatter and shots of the heroes swinging their heads around like idiots.

Similarly in scary movies where about-to-be-victims are in a clearing in a forest or whatever, and the monsters are rustling leaves and running around just out of sight and such. It would be more effective to just take them by surprise, sure, but how is that going to build a tense atmosphere?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Guardians of the Galaxy was excellent but there's a scene in which two characters get stuck floating out in space and it's terrible. I can't even imagine how an entire team of people thought an audience would just suspend that much disbelief, and even then, it's so poorly done and awkward that we cringed for its entire duration. I can't believe it made it off the development table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Slim Killington posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was excellent but there's a scene in which two characters get stuck floating out in space and it's terrible. I can't even imagine how an entire team of people thought an audience would just suspend that much disbelief, and even then, it's so poorly done and awkward that we cringed for its entire duration. I can't believe it made it off the development table.

How is it in comparison to the only two movies I can think of where that happens: 2001 and Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, assuming you mean without space suits.