Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

a cartoon duck posted:

The final hypothetical mission is great because it's half an hour of Lu Bu beating everyone. It's really all I ever needed.

This. Also, it has the best goddamn music track in the game.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ybrik posted:

I wish they would go back to having whatever character or kingdom you pick being the winning side. DW6 Lu Bu story was the best.

That is what the hypotheticals are for!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Trollhawke posted:

What would you say the worst stage in DW/SW/SB history is?

my vote is for Date's stage in SB3, if only because it's gimmickly is annoying and binary. You either have a character who can outspeed Masamune (Yoshitsugu, Sorin, Ujimasu) and the stage is easy, or you're someone else and you might as well develop a macro for it and go read a good book for the first and penultimate 2 minutes of the level.

While I haven't played the early games (which is where I suspect the biggest turds are), the 2 worst that I've played:

1. DW6, Chang'ban, Wei side. In a game with slow-fighting mechanics, a stage where you have to haul rear end, ignoring any side objective, or you lose is pretty galling. Plus I think in all but one iteration even after you complete the stage the game says "lol NOPE! Liu Bei escapes anyway!" just makes it all the more frustrating.

2. SW2, Kotaro Fuma, Kyushu campaign. To start, it loses points for being a lazy reskin of the Kenshin/Shingen special stage. But the real topper was by doing a ctrl-c/ctrl-v it manages to derail Kotaro's characterization. "I'm a heartless ninja-demon, but this one time I'm going to be really concerned about the well-being of my allies! :downs:"

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Davincie posted:

also pictures of all (?) the new characters in that mobile game
http://imgur.com/a/CL09T

Not sure what I was expecting out of Li Jue but I was not expecting claw-handed warlock.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Davincie posted:

also pictures of all (?) the new characters in that mobile game
http://imgur.com/a/CL09T

Still no Dong Tuna, why bother.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they are still adding new generals to it daily when they get revealed on the japanese gamersites, a bunch just got added like zhu haun and wang lang

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Selane posted:

If the numerous posts about it on this page didn't already make it obvious, that'd probably go to the Nanman Campaign in DW4. Jesus Christ, who came up with that poo poo.
Absolutely. Wasn't it the stage for like four or five characters' superweapons, too?

I think a runner-up would be Masamune Date's final (second-to-last?) chapter in SW1 where you chase Nobunaga through Honnouji that uses breakable walls to gate your progress through the stage. It blows because, due to general scripting bugginess, there's a good chance the walls will never break so you'll get completely trapped and be unable to finish the mission.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Oh my God, the alternate mook outfits for DW8 are way better than I expected. I now have the Emperor living in a town populated by snake-men. :allears:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Maleketh posted:

Oh my God, the alternate mook outfits for DW8 are way better than I expected. I now have the Emperor living in a town populated by snake-men. :allears:

Is the DLC out already?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is the DLC out already?

It is, at least on PS4. And it turns out even the handmaidens get reskinned. :xd:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Maleketh posted:

It is, at least on PS4. And it turns out even the handmaidens get reskinned. :xd:

What's the pricing like? (In dollars not Sony company scrip??)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

What's the pricing like? (In dollars not Sony company scrip??)

The PlayStation store only charges real money; the mook costumes are $4.99. Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Dang, I just looked at the pricing for PSN. If you wanted to get all the costumes and weapon packs you're out like $40. Guess I'll have to wait for 75% off!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dang, I just looked at the pricing for PSN. If you wanted to get all the costumes and weapon packs you're out like $40. Guess I'll have to wait for 75% off!

Might be waiting a while. I don't think I've ever seen any of the DW games go that deep on sale.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Lu Bu was the first hypothetical I did (because his canon storyline is so depressing) and holy poo poo does that track make the turnabout at Dingtao feel triumphant. I'm just disappointed that Lu Bu's hypothetical doesn't make him more strategic in later battles, because that would have been a cool way of deviating from his one-dimensional canon path.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Enallyniv posted:

Lu Bu was the first hypothetical I did (because his canon storyline is so depressing) and holy poo poo does that track make the turnabout at Dingtao feel triumphant. I'm just disappointed that Lu Bu's hypothetical doesn't make him more strategic in later battles, because that would have been a cool way of deviating from his one-dimensional canon path.

He does, kind of. He acknowledges Chen Gong as his strategist and actually listens to him rather than override his advise.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just finished Lu Bu's hypothetical route on hard today and it was a blast.

Also I'm finally able to use temper to create decent weapons, what are your favorite attribute setups? I want to create some truly op weapons.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Make yourself a set of throwing knives with Cyclone, then put them away and only ever use them for things you need to finish really quickly.

Try Fusion. It's pretty nuts.

e: Oh, and get a Curved Sword with Velocity because the Zhou Tai Shuffle is the one true way to travel through China.

Weissritter posted:

He does, kind of. He acknowledges Chen Gong as his strategist and actually listens to him rather than override his advise.

It still seems like he's back to being a one-dimensional bag of meat after the victory at Dingtao. I know it's Dynasty Warriors but c'mon, we need some melodramatic character development in here!

They totally missed Chen Gong's characterisation, though. Nothing can top the 2010 TV series Chen Gong.

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 1, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

don't do that. make a halberd, take 2 halberds on every mission and enjoy the game having zero challenge ever

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I regard the Nine Rings Sword as being pretty good.

The Harp is also surprisingly useful.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just tempered a 4-star throwing knife to max and it's hell on wheels. It's normal attacks don't seem to do max damage, but when to hit the charge attack, elemental poo poo happens and everything dies. It's glorious, but the weapon itself is kinda lame and bland.

I have already a pretty good 3-star halberd, and I just acquired a 4-star halberd with only slash 7, with enough materials left to go crazy on this, I'm thinking something like slash, induction, explosive, recovery, cyclone, velocity/flash(?). So much poo poo to do and so few materials.

Enallyniv posted:

Make yourself a set of throwing knives with Cyclone, then put them away and only ever use them for things you need to finish really quickly.

Try Fusion. It's pretty nuts.

e: Oh, and get a Curved Sword with Velocity because the Zhou Tai Shuffle is the one true way to travel through China.

I'll pimp Zhou Tai as soon as I grind more mats, he was my favorite character in DW4, getting his lvl 10 weapon on the Nanman campaign left me scarred for life though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SirPhoebos posted:

While I haven't played the early games (which is where I suspect the biggest turds are), the 2 worst that I've played:

1. DW6, Chang'ban, Wei side. In a game with slow-fighting mechanics, a stage where you have to haul rear end, ignoring any side objective, or you lose is pretty galling. Plus I think in all but one iteration even after you complete the stage the game says "lol NOPE! Liu Bei escapes anyway!" just makes it all the more frustrating.
Sounds like the same stage in DW4 where Liu Bei is literally hauling rear end on a horse and every event possible occurs to stop you from chasing a guy with free reign of the map. He is supposed to escape and it takes under two minutes for the map to end. If he is knocked off his horse, you better keep him on screen chasing his scared rear end or he spawns horses constantly. Even a max level character has a hell of a time to beat him before he leaves. Good luck getting 100 KO on that map. Such a loving waste of a map.

The Shu side is different. You are running through hundreds of Wei and those gates now close on you. Officers are everywhere and the gates only open when you complete objectives. All the events that happen on the Wei side do not appear and you are slogging through everyone on Wei without any real help. Takes maybe ten minutes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
10 Velocity, 10 Induction, 10 Cyclone, 10 Morass, 10 whatever it is that makes you gain health on every hit, 10 some element.

It's fun to play with different builds of weapons but mine all end up coming out pretty similar to that.

Also, hurrah! The JP voice pack is up for PS4! Handy excuse to pick DW8 up again some.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I tend you make one weapon with all the healing(Life/Musou/Rage on hit and on kill. Thank you Emperor for saving me work with Sun Quan-The Emperor's Sword is laid out with 9 in all those), then the second with all the death(Cyclone, Induction, Velocity, Morass, an Element, something). Sometimes it's their own weapon, sometimes it's something else.

Can take an age, but it tends to work out. I understand some of the faster characters can get outright uncontrollable with Velocity added as well.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 1, 2014

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Also, hurrah! The JP voice pack is up for PS4! Handy excuse to pick DW8 up again some.

Wasn't this supposed to be released for PC a few days ago as well? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Steam DLC page nor in the game's options. Am I blind/dumb/misunderstanding?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they were supposedly going to release them the 30th last month but they're not out yet. they are in the steam database however and moved up to the beta build, whatever that means. also 2 new pieces of dlc got added to the database

DW8XLCE - Unique Weapon Pack
DW8XLCE - Base Theme Pack

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what is the difference between Temper, Reforge, and Weapon Fusion and why would I use anything besides Weapon Fusion?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OmanyteJackson posted:

So what is the difference between Temper, Reforge, and Weapon Fusion and why would I use anything besides Weapon Fusion?

Temper is the best option actually. It lets you combine two weapons to boost each special effect and the base stats that they share. Fusion is often a waste.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dewgy posted:

10 Velocity, 10 Induction, 10 Cyclone, 10 Morass, 10 whatever it is that makes you gain health on every hit, 10 some element.

It's fun to play with different builds of weapons but mine all end up coming out pretty similar to that.

I always did 10 Cyclone, 10 Jubilation, 10 Velocity (optional), then filled the rest with 10 Induction/Inferno/Thunder/Flash/Slash. I am a crazy person though, so I made a level 4 weapon of every type with maxed out stats, so everyone could have their Ex weapon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way, I wrote an email to their tech support a long time ago about the subtle controller weirdness in the PC version, and they basically didn't acknowledge it. The told me to check my drivers for the 360 controller or whatever. Honestly, if it doesn't get fixed, I think I will write it off as a loss and buy the PS4 version for cheap.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I really don't have the same problem as you while using my 360 controller for the PC. :( Sorry.

Also, stuff like Morass is neat but if you want to do Chaos or Ultimate or whatever at higher stage difficulties, you probably want to go with: Flurry-Aggression-Roar-Frenzy-Velocity-Jubilation for people who kill by using Musous, and then Slash-Flash-Thunder-Jubilation-Velocity-(whatever, Cyclone, Thorns who knows) for people you want to have using charge attacks to kill.
This goes for most all weapons, with some exceptions like Throwing Knives.

I can go into reasons why you take those abilities over other stuff. It's purely for min-maxing though, and you really don't need to min-max that hard to break the game.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

I really don't have the same problem as you while using my 360 controller for the PC. :( Sorry.

Also, stuff like Morass is neat but if you want to do Chaos or Ultimate or whatever at higher stage difficulties, you probably want to go with: Flurry-Aggression-Roar-Frenzy-Velocity-Jubilation for people who kill by using Musous, and then Slash-Flash-Thunder-Jubilation-Velocity-(whatever, Cyclone, Thorns who knows) for people you want to have using charge attacks to kill.
This goes for most all weapons, with some exceptions like Throwing Knives.

I can go into reasons why you take those abilities over other stuff. It's purely for min-maxing though, and you really don't need to min-max that hard to break the game.

Against Lu Bu though, you do need a cyclone weapon since he has Rigidity/Awareness inbuilt.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The only problem I have with my controller is I can't walk forward in the camp interludes. I have to move with the keyboard for some reason.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OmanyteJackson posted:

Same as above, but use Fusion to get the skills you want then Temper them up to max.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the camp interludes only read 90 degree directions and I can't run at an angle for some reason

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Verviticus posted:

the camp interludes only read 90 degree directions and I can't run at an angle for some reason
That's one issue but the bigger one is it just sometimes ignoring my inputs for musou attacks, which is gonna get me killed at higher difficulty levels. Also sometimes the block button gets stuck down, so to speak. I've never run into (software) problems like this in a game before.

edit: Oh yeah, and the dead zone on the analog sticks is huge, you have to mash it all the way over or else your character doesn't move.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, I noticed that problem with running/walking during camp interludes using an XInput controller in Windows, as well. I haven't really noticed other controller problems though, but I've only played the game for like eight hours now.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So is everyone else abusing Yueyang's murdercane of death? it made grinding for Redhare pretty tolerable

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

OmanyteJackson posted:

So is everyone else abusing Yueyang's murdercane of death? it made grinding for Redhare pretty tolerable
I just used Lu Bu. I'd gotten a bunch of money from selling weapons, so I was able to academy his stats up to max, and with his fifth and sixth weapons he could blenderize any foe. (It helped that I used the Puccho Red Hare for travel and musou recharging.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm wanting to get into this series for the first time. Is the OP still correct that the best first game to play would be DW7? Or is 8 a better starting place? I only have a PS3.