Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Went to see it today but I had such a headache that I had to leave after an hour, I don't know how it ended. I actually wasn't really engaged to the movie at all, headache or no, I had no interest towards any of the characters and thought the dialogue and the jokes were pretty bad. The music was fun and the scifi and creature designs were amazing, like the blue lady or the bad guy, but otherwise I wasn't too dissappointed at having to leave in the middle of it. I guess I'm in the minority, but does it get better in the second half?

It's good all the way through, sounds like you just didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

that one guy posted:

I don't understand the praise of Ronan at all. He seemed like a bad guy from a cartoon my 4 year old would watch.

He was serviceable, and I enjoyed Lee Pace's performance, but he and his whole cause felt like a less inspired version of the Necromongers from Chronicles of Riddick. The whole MCU is really struggling to put together memorable villains. The two best ones, the Mandarin in IM3 and Loki in the Thors, are only sort-of villains; Loki's most straightforwardly villainous turn, in The Avengers, is also his worst outing.

Which is weird because I'd normally think of superhero stories as being a rich ground for fun villains.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Other than some stilted dialogue from Gamora and Drax early on, I thought this was an excellent action-comedy, with all the love in the world going into it visually and comedically. Definitely at or near the top of the list for Marvel movies.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I doubt you ever see the Guardians in an Avengers movie, that are five additional characters that need screentime, plus supporting cast.

My guess, we get something like they did with Loki, with Thanos suffering some kind of defeat that force him to head to Earth, were the gems will probably eventually all end up.

Sir Kodiak posted:

He was serviceable, and I enjoyed Lee Pace's performance, but he and his whole cause felt like a less inspired version of the Necromongers from Chronicles of Riddick. The whole MCU is really struggling to put together memorable villains. The two best ones, the Mandarin in IM3 and Loki in the Thors, are only sort-of villains; Loki's most straightforwardly villainous turn, in The Avengers, is also his worst outing.

Which is weird because I'd normally think of superhero stories as being a rich ground for fun villains.

That's because these movies don't really depend on the villains, they rely on the interaction of the heroes with each other and the action to entertain the audience.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ManOfTheYear posted:

Went to see it today but I had such a headache that I had to leave after an hour, I don't know how it ended. I actually wasn't really engaged to the movie at all, headache or no, I had no interest towards any of the characters and thought the dialogue and the jokes were pretty bad. The music was fun and the scifi and creature designs were amazing, like the blue lady or the bad guy, but otherwise I wasn't too dissappointed at having to leave in the middle of it. I guess I'm in the minority, but does it get better in the second half?

It's the same throughout. If you didn't like the first half then you won't like the second half.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Seriously though every line from Drax was gold, Dave Bautista for Academy Award, let him accept the award by Batista Bombing the host

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Thinking about the movie on the whole, Groots final line being WE ARE GROOT kind of sums up the movie. Its on the nose and emotionally manipulative but still works. I mean you start off seeing a little boy watch his mother dying of cancer and at the end you realise he wants to be called starlord because that was his mothers name for him, this movie ain't subtle.

The biggest laughs the movie got were Groots grin after wrecking the bad guys on a whip and Karen Gillians character being shot in the middle of her big speech

Speaking of Gamora and whats her face, I expect they might cover their backstory more in the sequel. And they should do a Rocket and Groot spinoff, you all know it to be true.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AnonSpore posted:

Seriously though every line from Drax was gold, Dave Bautista for Academy Award, let him accept the award by Batista Bombing the host

He's very good at being dry.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MrFlibble posted:

Karen Gillians character being shot in the middle of her big speech

That actually reminds me — I would not be surprised if there was some backlash for how this movie treats women.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

It's good all the way through, sounds like you just didn't like it.

Mm, I guess it wasn't for me. Avengers is one of the best action moviers I've ever seen and a lot of it came from the charismatic characters and good dialogue combined with a very focused story - here's the bad guy, here's what he wants, here are the heroes okay let's go - that had no baggage in it, like a force fed love story or something like that.

GotG just wasn't interesting. The bad guy was some blue dude that just came from somewhere and the heroes didn't have any personality: Star Lord was boring and wasn't funny ast all, the green woman was dull, the raccoon was dull and irritating, tree man just was there and the muscle dude just joined the guys "hey, me too!" and the way he spoke just came from nowhere and felt like a forced way to add another "quirky" character. Like when he is introduced and he doesn't understand the throat cutting motion I didn't understand that it was supposed to be a joke. Most of the humor was like that, like I only realized afterwards that those were supposed to be the jokes. I laughed at the opening credits when the logo hits the screen, that was really funny, and at the line "That was my favorite knife" but otherwise it felt like the writers were told to make a comedy and they went "oh, uhm, alright" and did their best, but because they are not comedians themselves, it just wasn't very good.

The designs were amazing and the world really felt like a place you'd really wanna be in, but there just didn't seem to be any substance in any of it. Again, I only saw half of it and I wasn't feeling very good, but I still wasn't angaged atall.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

e X posted:

That's because these movies don't really depend on the villains, they rely on the interaction of the heroes with each other and the action to entertain the audience.

See, I'd say that's a consequence of uninspired villains, that the movies live or die based on the interactions of the heroes, rather than some sort of affirmative element of their construction. I'm not expecting everything to live up to the standard of Die Hard, but Chronicles of Riddick doesn't spend that much time with Lord Marshal (and isn't exactly a high point when it comes to great villains) and even he makes more of an impression as to his ideology than we get out of Ronan. The villains keep being villains because they want to do villainous things, without exploring the worldview that makes their actions necessary.

MrFlibble posted:

And they should do a Rocket and Groot spinoff, you all know it to be true.

While I appreciate why it wouldn't fit into this movie, I would have loved to see more of the previous adventures of Rocket and Groot, bounty hunters.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Like when he is introduced and he doesn't understand the throat cutting motion I didn't understand that it was supposed to be a joke.

I get not finding it funny, but, yeah, if you didn't catch that something that broad was supposed to be a joke, this isn't the movie for you.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 1, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ManOfTheYear posted:

I didn't understand that it was supposed to be a joke.

I think you may be a sociopath. Peter literally sighs and goes, "c'mon man, you guys have heard of that right?" The alien says, "yes," then Drax looks at him and he quickly changes his answer to, "no." Its one thing to say you don't like that style of humor, but to not even get that they are jokes takes a seriously disconnected social understanding.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 1, 2014

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

ManOfTheYear posted:

I didn't understand that it was supposed to be a joke.

Metaphor. :smuggo:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did anyone else get crazy Masters of the Universe vibes from this movie? I'm talking the 80s Canon movie here. From the tone of the movie to some of the characters shiny space suit designs, even Starlord's scanner in the beginning was basically the same one Evil Lyn uses when tracking the Cosmic Key (which I was totally expecting to be in the Collector's trophy room).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfy0mgAx2-0

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

EDIT: Nevermind. Don't really care.

One thing I thought was pretty great was the way the Nova Corps was able to use their ships to create a screen. The Dark Aster running into that and actually stopping was a pretty cool moment.

I was also not expecting to see an accurately depicted Celestial on screen. I knew Knowhere was going to be in the movie, but seeing the Celestial wielding the gem was a really unexpected moment.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 1, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrFlibble posted:

Thinking about the movie on the whole, Groots final line being WE ARE GROOT kind of sums up the movie. Its on the nose and emotionally manipulative but still works. I mean you start off seeing a little boy watch his mother dying of cancer and at the end you realise he wants to be called starlord because that was his mothers name for him, this movie ain't subtle.

The biggest laughs the movie got were Groots grin after wrecking the bad guys on a whip and Karen Gillians character being shot in the middle of her big speech

Speaking of Gamora and whats her face, I expect they might cover their backstory more in the sequel. And they should do a Rocket and Groot spinoff, you all know it to be true.
Groot's final line maybe emotionally maipulative, but yeah it works when you realize this basically the same thing from Iron Giant

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Alright, I'M standing now. You happy? We're all standing now. Standing around. Like jackasses.

My favorite Rocket moment, just because of how effectively it makes fun of that type of scene.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

DFu4ever posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking, but how does this movie treat women poorly?

It wavers.

At one point Gamora rejects a tender moment with Peter saying she will not be tempted by his "pelvic magic". At another point Drax just flat-out calls her a whore not as an insult but as his friendly description of her.

Peter reveals that he had a woman over for a one night stand in his ship that he forgot about.

There's a slave girl who rebels against her master, but her plan backfires because of her Prometheus-esque logic.

There's a female side villain, but all the villains were pretty bland so there is not to say about them.

The few moments Glenn Close has in the film as Nova Prime were pretty fun with the few fun lines she was given.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

DFu4ever posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking, but how does this movie treat women poorly?

Hard to talk about without spoilers, but:

Of the female characters with lines (that I remember), three are slaves, one's painted as a useless bureaucrat, one's a disposable gently caress buddy, and one dies to give the hero motivation. Gamora's backstory is laid out in an exposition dump in a scene where the main character tries to get in her pants. Drax, characterized as being literal in all things, sums up one of our heroes as a whore. At least two times women are given a chance to express themselves, and they are exploded as a result.

I did enjoy the movie, and you can care as much or as little about those things as you want. But I thought it did stick out a bit.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Who did you consider the useless bureaucrat? Nova Prime? She came across as a competent leader to me...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't think Gamora or the other females were handled any more disrespectfully than male characters in the movie. That's kinda the point, a bunch of misfits in a rough place in the galaxy with a lot of scumbags. It went a long way to paint all males as chauvinistic pigs as much as it belittled women.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FrostedButts posted:

There's a slave girl who rebels against her master, but her plan backfires because of her Prometheus-esque logic.

Who was that actress? She looked really familiar but I couldn't place her. I'm assuming she's from either an earlier Gunn or Troma movie, seeing as how there were cameos all over the place. Rooker and Sean Gunn are both regulars in James Gunn's movies, and I caught both Lloyd Kaufman (greatest Marvel cameo ever) and the guy who played Benny Que in Tromeo & Juliet (he was the guy Drax grabs to send a transmission letting Ronan know where they were.)

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you may be a sociopath. Peter literally sighs and goes, "c'mon man, you guys have heard of that right?" The alien says, "yes," then Drax looks at him and he quickly changes his answer to, "no." Its one thing to say you don't like that style of humor, but to not even get that they are jokes takes a seriously disconnected social understanding.

I found the joke pretty bad, like it's not established that Drax does not understand metaphors and that itself is pretty forced quirky character trait, which isn't good writing in itself. There's no reason for him to not understand metaphors, if he was a robot and he said "Does not compute" or something it would make sense. I didn't laugh because I didn't understand what the problem was.

I think the movie would have benefitted from a better comedic timing, they go through their jokes a bit too fast. Like the line"It was my favorite knife" would have had a bit more edge he would have just stood there all depressed after Drax left the room for a few seconds and then said "It was my favorite knife." Or he would later see Drax stab somebody with the said knife later on and he would sigh and look sad. Most of the jokes were mushed into the dialogue, like Star Lord yammering about stuff, who he hosed and so on, and I don't think that's well made comedy.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

I found the joke pretty bad, like it's not established that Drax does not understand metaphors and that itself is pretty forced quirky character trait, which isn't good writing in itself. There's no reason for him to not understand metaphors, if he was a robot and he said "Does not compute" or something it would make sense. I didn't laugh because I didn't understand what the problem was.

How is it a forced quirky character trait? This is the first scene in which we meet Drax and the scene is used to establish that he's completely literal, and focused entirely on revenge. It wasn't established because the scene was being used to establish that trait about him in the first place. I think this is a case of a joke going way over your head.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

I think the movie would have benefitted from a better comedic timing, they go through their jokes a bit too fast. Like the line"It was my favorite knife" would have had a bit more edge he would have just stood there all depressed after Drax left the room for a few seconds and then said "It was my favorite knife." Or he would later see Drax stab somebody with the said knife later on and he would sigh and look sad. Most of the jokes were mushed into the dialogue, like Star Lord yammering about stuff, who he hosed and so on, and I don't think that's well made comedy.

Well the 300 people in my theater dying of laughter at every one of those lines disagree with you. The comedic timing and writing was spot on almost every time. The only line I laughed hard at that wasn't well received in my theater was the bit about Rocket building the bomb, Peter asking him why he just left it lying around, Rocket saying he was gonna put it in a box, and Peter saying, "what's a box gonna do!?" . I laughed loud but the rest of the theater was pretty quiet.

Ghosthotel posted:

How is it a forced quirky character trait? This is the first scene in which we meet Drax and the scene is used to establish that he's completely literal, and focused entirely on revenge. It wasn't established because the scene was being used to establish that trait about him in the first place. I think this is a case of a joke going way over your head.
You are Drax :o:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 1, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

I think the movie would have benefitted from a better comedic timing, they go through their jokes a bit too fast.

Sweet jesus, no, the movie did not need to linger longer on the jokes. If anything Drax's lines were hammered home too bluntly. The funniest moments for him were when he was allowed to ramble in the background about how some descriptor didn't apply to him while something else was also going on.

If you would have enjoyed a different style of comedy more, that's cool, just what you prefer. But it would have actively made the movie worse for me (and I'm guessing a lot of people), so I'm glad they didn't go that way. It's not a categorical failure.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I found the joke pretty bad, like it's not established that Drax does not understand metaphors

The initial joke isn't built on him not understanding metaphors. It's initially just a joke about how Peter is using a human expression that the aliens don't understand; Gamora and the alien with the knife don't know it either, and this comes up again with the "sticks up their butt" expression. That Drax doesn't understand metaphors at all is an escalation of that joke: here's a guy who not only doesn't understand your metaphors, but is incapable of understanding them even when they're explained. It's partly a meta-joke about the cliche of a human in space using expressions that no one else gets.

ruddiger posted:

Who was that actress? She looked really familiar but I couldn't place her. I'm assuming she's from either an earlier Gunn or Troma movie, seeing as how there were cameos all over the place.

Ophelia Lovibond as Carina. Not any James Gunn or Troma connection from what I can see.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ghosthotel posted:

I think this is a case of a joke going way over your head.

Nothing goes over ManOfTheYear's head. He'd catch it. His reflexes are too good.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

I think you should watch the whole movie, preferably on a day when you're not suffering from a terrible headache. Also your ideas for "better" jokes are also terrible. This movie was hilarious.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wanna know who the brunette chick was that was an assistant or something to Glenn Close's Nova Prime.

She was fiiiiine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Junkenstein posted:

Nothing goes over ManOfTheYear's head. He'd catch it. His reflexes are too good.

:golfclap:

I too would like to mention being disappointed when Drax didn't comment on Peter's poo poo metaphor during one of the later scenes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Glenn Close cameo seemed like a complete waste of Glenn Close, but then again John C. Reilly was only in it for about a minute, too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gatts posted:

I wanna know who the brunette chick was that was an assistant or something to Glenn Close's Nova Prime.

Yeah, they made her stand out like crazy to only have a few seconds screen time. Hair and makeup were way over the top for a character with no significance at all. I was expecting Peter to at least hit on her in an awkward way or something.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

Nicole Alexandra Shipley as Pretty Xandarian.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

I'm mad I didn't think of this while posting that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Glenn Close cameo seemed like a complete waste of Glenn Close, but then again John C. Reilly was only in it for about a minute, too.

I swear to God the sequel better be following John C. Reilly as Nova family man patrolling space as comic book Nova and Glenn Close also as Nova Prime kicking Anhillus's rear end and ripping out his spine.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah but John C. Reilly was perfectly utilized, especially in the dick message scene.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's very good at being dry.

His interviews promoting the movie are pretty much the exact opposite of what people would expect from a pro wrestler nicknamed "the animal."

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Even if you think the movie is poo poo, the soundtrack is guaranteed to make your day better. For the record, I loved the movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Ophelia Lovibond as Carina. Not any James Gunn or Troma connection from what I can see.

She's the same assistant from The Collector's appearance in the Thor 2 credits, so perhaps that's why she seems so familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Riven posted:

Who did you consider the useless bureaucrat? Nova Prime? She came across as a competent leader to me...

Well, she signs an ultimately pointless treaty, and can't even get the Kree guy to verbally condemn a fringe terrorist. In the battle, the Nova Corps can't stop a single ship and needs to be bailed out by the space pirates. The Corps' main plan is a light net that temporarily holds the ship in place, and it wasn't actually clear to me if that was even her order or Peter Serafinowicz's. Am I forgetting something?

• Locked thread