Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Beaten: Super Meat Boy - After lots and lots and lots of deaths, finally made it through all the Light World levels, earning the "The End" and "Suffragette" achievements. Holy poo poo this game is hard. Still have a lot to do in Dark World (and have a lot of bandages and warp zones left to pick up) but I'll mark it "completed" once I've gotten to the Dark World ending. Probably going to shelve it for a little while though first (or ease up on the throttle), I've put a lot of hours into it over the last couple days and extended Meat Boy sessions cramp up my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% achievement games:

T.E.C. 3001: Really weird game about running, I guess. It only lasted a few hours which was the perfect length for it. The last few levels start to push the mechanics to where they become a bit fiddly and broken, and the challenge of the par times is all over the place, but I enjoyed the time I spent on this.

Actual Sunlight: Awesome interactive experience type game. An hour total to get through the whole thing, very engaging writing and I found myself empathising with the main character a lot. Highly recommended but it will pull down your mood for the rest of the day if you even just play a little bit.

Bardbarian: Really feels like a flash game. The whole game is done on one level, you summon troops that surround you and fight off waves of attackers. The money you make each round can be spent on persistent upgrades so that the next time you play you are stronger. Just felt really half baked in a lot of areas.

Hexcells Plus: More Hexcells!

Hell Yeah!: I don't remember much of this because I did every achievement except one about 6 months ago. I remember it being vaguely fun. The one achievement I had left was a luck based one that I didn't feel like grinding at the time, when I loaded it up this time though I managed to get it in about 5 minutes.

Mercenary Kings: Really fun, very methodical run n gun style game with a lot of crafting. You'll be playing each stage many many times, although with different goals, so you get to learn how to deal with the enemy placements and various obstacles. It becomes very fun to execute the stages in that perfect way. There's a lot of grinding when going for the final achievements but it was very soothing to do.

By the way, I'm looking for a good grinding game to do. I want it to be as absolutely mindless as possible. Here's a list of achievement games I have, please suggest one that isn't in a purple font, thank you!
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/User_Games.php?steamID64=76561197996964480&DisplayType=1&AchievementsOnly=1

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat - Tower of Guns, a really fun first person shooter with roguelike elements. I even got the winning run on video! Gonna keep playing as there's more stuff to unlock and see but this is definitely a fun one.

Beat - Doki Doki Universe. Do you like quirky art and humor? What about tons of load times and menus on top of menus on top of menus. Does actual gameplay and challenge scare you? Doki Doki Universe might be right up your alley! It's an adventure game that holds your hand through everything you do and is repetitive as gently caress and never shuts up with constant tutorial poo poo. If I wasn't just playing it on plane rides and in airports I would have turned it off but instead I beat the game and kinda never want to touch it again. It has some neat ideas but it's so mind numbingly basic that I couldn't stand it in the end. Speaking of end, it doesn't really have one. Now buy the DLC planets and do the same poo poo some more!! Buy some more tests to take!! You like personality tests right?????

Nulled - Unit 13, a generic oorah military third person shooter except that instead of shooting Arabs for plot reasons you're shooting them for high scores in different game modes. It's not the worst thing ever but it's uninspired as gently caress and sad that this is what Zipper went out with. Not worth my time.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 30, 2014

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
Beaten - Ninja Gaiden 2 (360)

I went back to it for the first time in years to try and finish the game and found it to be easier than I remember. I'm gonna have to try and unlock the harder difficulties. Now... more Kerbal?

Tsioc fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 2, 2014

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Beaten: Tropico 4 - Had played this in bits in pieces over the last couple years. Solid city building game, with a funny and upbeat aesthetic. Pretty low-stress as well since a lot of stuff operates autonomously, but on the other hand you'll be waiting awhile for the AI workers to get around to building that apartment building or hospital you wanted. I also spent a good amount of time in debt waiting for aid or export money to come in. The core gameplay can be repetitive but for the most part campaign obstacles were frustrating and required some creativity to work around, but the last level was just too much for me. About an hour into the mission I run into a mission objective that runs me $100,000 into debt, so I sat there unable to spend any money as I slid further into the red. The clock was ticking before the end of the game so ventually I just said "gently caress it" and gave myself money with a cheat code to finish the game. I probably could have replayed the level instead, but I just didn't have it in me to do a second time after sinking so much time into the first one. Last level aside, it's a great game. Great soundtrack, good game for relaxation purposes. Playing it in small doses probably heightened my enjoyment of the game as well, since it made it more difficult for me to focus on the game's few flaws

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ToxicFrog posted:

Rewritten how? Give me an actual bug report and I can fix things, just saying "it doesn't work" with no further details helps no-one and is frustrating as poo poo besides.
Copy and pasting the examples into the batch file doesn't work.

Take the first example

quote:

bltool --from backloggery --to text --output games.txt --bl-name MyName --bl-pass TopSecret

It should read something more like

quote:

java -jar bltool.jar --from backloggery --to text --output games.txt --bl-name %BL_NAME% --bl-pass %BL_PASS%

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Copy and pasting the examples into the batch file doesn't work.

Take the first example

It should read something more like

The examples are for the benefit of people experimenting with it from the command line. You should just be running steam2backloggery.bat after editing in your username and password. Does that work?

I'll fix the examples to use java -jar instead of the bltool alias, but for the basic Steam->Backloggery import, the existing batch file should work out of the box.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

COMPLETED: Destiny Beta - Hmmmm well it's okay, but I wouldn't buy it at launch. My main issue is that the solo campaign feels like it was randomly generated just like an MMO. When mission design has to be held back because each one is in the same exact map and also other people are playing on it, there are issues. It's a weird comparison to make but I think Bungie should look to Mario 64/Sunshine and see how they were able to make the missions on their maps all feel unique despite going back to the same level over and over. Right now Destiny's missions have you going through the same buildings and the enemy placement is the only thing that changes. I'm sure someone will tell me that the multiplayer is the only reason to play Destiny and that's fine.

COMPLETED: LOVE+ - Not a great game but it was in a bundle and it took 30 minutes to beat so it was fine enough. Just your basic 'retro platformer' that could have come from TIGSource for all I know.

COMPLETED: Papo & Yo - LEAST. SUBTLE. GAME. IN HISTORY. But still alright.

COMPLETED: Goodbye Deponia - People weren't kidding about the racism, holy poo poo. Definitely the worst in the trilogy and the main character is maybe at his most repugnant in this game.

COMPLETED: The Inner World - pretty charming point n click adventure with atrocious voice acting, decent engine, weird worldbuilding. The game's ending is pretty sudden and short.

ADDED: Sticker Star - People hate this game, it seems alright to me so far and I love the music.

ADDED: Soul Suspect - We'll see how this one goes. I got it for $15 so it wasn't a big deal.

ADDED: Shovel Knight - About 1/3rd of the way in so far. I usually try to squeeze this one in before I hit the hay.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Just beat XCOM: Enemy Unknown and feel like dumping some thoughts in a highly disorganized manner. It was a non-ironman Normal campaign, and it was excellent in almost every way. The one thing that was not excellent was the strategic/base UI and navigation. It's atrocious. Managing your squad's inventory is incredibly tedious. One time one of my precious titan armors was unavailable to me because the soldier who had it equipped was in PSI research at the time, which is stupid beyond belief. If you're in the gray market and want to know what an item is used for, you have to back out to Engineering and mouse over every item there and in the Foundry, then switch over to Research and do the same, and only then you can know if you're safe to sell it. Tooltips and better use of UI real estate could've solved this so easily and reduced frustration. I read they had separate teams for console UI and PC UI but it looks like they only did that for the tactical battle view. I also found it very stupid that the game doesn't tell you what the bonuses are for having each continent completely covered in satellites - it's a big strategic decision that you have to make but the game gives you zero information. All in all the information I needed when in the base, while mostly available, was just not as accessible as it should've been.

Aside from that I also felt constantly under pressure in the campaign which meant I was hesitant to experiment too much with new items or soldiers. I'd have liked a bigger variety in the mission difficulty. Since every mission in the second half is Difficult or Very Difficult I never felt comforatble sending a rookie in there and always used the same squad. This is perhaps my fault for making use of saves too much. If I'd lost more soldiers I'd have been forced to use new ones. But at the same time, if I was doing ironman mode or opted not to load when losing an important soldier, the stakes would've been raised much higher and I'd have felt even more pressure to constantly field my best squad. So I don't know. The pressure's good on the one hand, and I realize that's a crucial part of the game, but sometimes I just felt too limited by it. I never ignored a mission either because I felt like I had to take them or else panic would get out of hand.

Also, at the end the game informed me I'd beaten it on Easy difficulty even though I most certainly played on Normal. I did switch to Easy for literally one turn in a mission, I guess that's why? Or is this bugged and it never reverted and I'd been playing on Easy ever since? That would be a bummer.

I'm sure some of these issues become non-issues once you're more familiar with the game, perhaps on a second run I'll feel more comfortable to experiment a bit more. And I think Enemy Within addressed the inventory thing, at the very least. So there's that. All in all it's a really great game.

edit: Oh, I also gave up on Legend of Dungeon. It has great art and music but the gameplay is extremely dull.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 1, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat - Dominique Pamplemousse, a musical adventure game about a downtrodden genderqueer detective done in a claymation style. It's kinda cute except, ehhh. The music isn't all that great, it's not that funny, the story is super simple (it's over in an hour or less unless you get stuck and refuse to look something up like I did), and for a game that constantly makes references to genderqueer politics and woes it does absolutely nothing to teach the user about genderqueer people. I understand the jokes about being confused about which bathroom to use or pronouns and such but then the main character does nothing to actually help out the people he (or she or ze) meets even when they're trying to be polite. It comes across as kinda cynical because hell, I wanted to know what the answer was because the character is obviously a Mary Sue of the person who made the game.

There's definitely something to this game but it needs more cooks in the kitchen. More writers, more actual game besides menus, more singers, more songwriters, something. As of now everything was done by one person so it comes across as more of a proof of concept than a full realized idea.

On Hold - Nuclear Throne. Seems like it's gonna be a rad game but like all Early Access titles I'll wait until it's actually done before I play more.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Beat: Back to the Future: The Game - Pretty neat game, made better use of a movie license than most games. Storyline was interesting, puzzles were well-thought-out and challenging for the most part, and it didn't take overly long to beat. Plus from a metagaming standpoint, finishing this one cleared out five entries in my Backloggery :smug:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed: NES Remix - Went for 3 stars on each level. This game has a great concept, but poor execution. Most of the time it feels like an excuse for older gamers to show their kids what games were like when they were their age, but Nintendo chose some poor games to show off (Clu Clu Land? Golf? Pinball?). But then, there are the remix stages which really show off what Nintendo had in mind. Too bad there are too few to be had. I'm hoping NES Remix 2 is better because the game selection at least looks good (except for another drat golf game).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NES Remix came about because a designer working on SM3DW would sneak off to play Famicom games and lamented how he didn't have time to play the best parts. The sequel is definitely better and Remix mode is far more developed.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

al-azad posted:

NES Remix came about because a designer working on SM3DW would sneak off to play Famicom games and lamented how he didn't have time to play the best parts. The sequel is definitely better and Remix mode is far more developed.

Interesting piece of information. I can certainly see that considering most of the levels are along the lines of "grab the 1 up in ten seconds".

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Completed: Alien Breed 2 : Assault and Alien Breed 3 : Descent - This "Trilogy" was a complete and utter slog, there are no redeeming qualities to it. From the first game, you pretty much see all you're going to be doing for 15 hours. Here's an example:

• Go down a dark hall
  • Try open a door
  • Backtrack through rooms you've been in a few minutes ago to find a keycard / fuse / panel that suddenly becomes usable
  • Head back to the door
  • Get ambushed
  • Repeat

Fifteen hours of this will eventually wear you down and make you sick of the Unreal Engine and it's green / blue glowing lights and explosions. I'm urging all of you to Null these games as quickly as possible, you're not missing much, only shooting aliens and stuff.

Now Playing:
  • Abyss Odyssey - I'm enjoying Super Smash Souls a lot, the combat is suitably tough and the design looks creepy and amazing all at once.
  • Saints Row: The Third - I have to focus on missions and less on driving like a loon and mowing down everything in sight... Never!!! :black101:
  • Shadowrun: Returns - Close to finishing this, but stuck on a really tough mission with the enemy constantly abusing my main character.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Beat: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter - A bit of a breath of fresh air at first, since they (mostly) just don't make many shooters like this anymore. They modernized the graphics of an old-style FPS but left the gameplay more or less completely unchanged. No cover system nourished by an abundance of chest-high walls, no limited weapon inventories, no vehicle segments, no Snoop Dogg voice pack, no regenerating health, no melee button, just a guy with a lot of guns and a fondness for one-liners. It's great fun to unleash hell on huge groups of enemies with powerful guns, but the later levels tend to drag a bit as the difficulty gets fierce. I'm not often one to lean on the quicksave key, but I mashed the hell out of that fucker when playing this game. Almost enabled cheats near the end when I thought I was stuck... and I would have too, if I were able to figure out how to do it!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

dhamster posted:

Beat: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter - A bit of a breath of fresh air at first, since they (mostly) just don't make many shooters like this anymore. They modernized the graphics of an old-style FPS but left the gameplay more or less completely unchanged. No cover system nourished by an abundance of chest-high walls, no limited weapon inventories, no vehicle segments, no Snoop Dogg voice pack, no regenerating health, no melee button, just a guy with a lot of guns and a fondness for one-liners. It's great fun to unleash hell on huge groups of enemies with powerful guns, but the later levels tend to drag a bit as the difficulty gets fierce. I'm not often one to lean on the quicksave key, but I mashed the hell out of that fucker when playing this game. Almost enabled cheats near the end when I thought I was stuck... and I would have too, if I were able to figure out how to do it!

If you liked it, you should try Serious Sam 3. It's basically "Serious Sam HD, again", but it's quite enjoyable, especially co-op.

Null SS2 right now, though. That game actually makes the others worse just by existing and reminding you of it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
It's too loving hot to be sitting inside and play video games!

These last few weeks were pretty good. I finished up a bunch of games and only nulled a few. I guess it pays to play good games instead of the mostly dreck we get through bundles v:shobon:v

Finished/Beat
Evil Pumpkin: The Lost Halloween - I thought it was the usual Hidden Object fare and that I had it completed in a couple of hours.
It's actually a point-and-click adventure with a strange story about Halloween and a creepy gallery of characters. It's definitely on the casual side, but god drat, pixel hunting and illogical inventory combinations should be a thing of the past.
Go with the Wadjet Eye games, if you want a good adventure.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - To be honest, I wasn't expecting to finish this.
There were a few puzzles where I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to solve it and then a Bad Rats funky-physics moment happened and suddenly my solution worked.
The other reason was length of the game. I started to fear it would go on-and-on, I checked the list of levels and found I was on the third to last level and thought "gently caress it, I'll finish it now". It took me around 8 hours from start to finish, but I skipped almost all the challenge levels.
Good times were had looking at a pixelated butt in short shorts while pushing big balls and shooting golden spears.. eh...

Theatre of the Absurd - Hidden Object adventure game. Decent puzzles, crazy story.

They Breathe - An artsy pretentious game, where you, as a frog, need to figure out how to play this game. I honestly don't care about games like this, but I finished it anyway, as it only took 20 minutes. The rest of my game time was done by SAM, idling for cards.

Where Angels Cry - Another casual point-and-click adventure game, I at first thought was a Hidden Object game.
It only took 2 hours to finish, and I'm not sure it it was because I was in the zone I was in the goddamn zone! or if it was just a lovely and very easy game.

The Wolf Among Us - I'm really disappointed that TellTale left the adventure game genre completely to make Visual Novels with Quick Time Events, but when the result is like TWAU, I can forgive them.
All 5 episodes are released and each episode takes 1-1˝ hour to finish, which is perfect for an episodic format (almost like a TV show).
I didn't know the universe before playing the VNwQTE but it hit all the right buttons: Fantastic graphics, great story and characters, moments of surprise and some serious awesome cliffhangers.
Definitely check it, even if you are more of a traditional adventure gamer, and not so much a VNwQTE'er.

Wolfenstein: The New Order
Holy crap, I haven't had as much fun with a linear shooter since I finished Shadow Warrior!
A pretty decent story and some exceptionally good looking levels, combined with being able to dual wield nearly all weapons makes this a really good shooter.

Nulled
Canyon Capers - A very colourful 16 bit platformer - like taken out of my old Amiga library. I really had fun while playing it, but in the end I'm just not that big of a platformer fan.
Definitely worth a look if you are a fan of the genre, and if it's on sale!

Last Knight: Rogue Rider Edition - An endless runner game, that at first looked like it came straight out of a smartphone screen, but wow, have the developers kept supporting this game and updating it with all kinds of extra game modes etc.
But even an endless game must come to an end, and I need to move on. I did run for over 2 hours though, and that's from a dirt cheap bundle game. Check it out!

Pressured - It's a math puzzle game and I had to rage quit it. It's fun but loving frustrating and I couldn't even finish the Easy level. I'm getting old :negative:

Super Panda Adventures - Yet another 16 bit inspired platformer. This one with missions and upgradable weapons, armour, lightning bolts etc. I'm sure there is a fancy word for the genre, but even though it was fun, Canyon Capers was more to my liking.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

An artsy pretentious game, where you, as a frog, need to figure out how to play this game.
So, Frog Fractions? :v:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Beat: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - Pretty neat game with some interesting ways to change up your playstyle as you progress. A little bit on the short side, but the visuals are gorgeous and the voice acting is top notch as well. Recommend giving this one a go if it's sitting in your backlog, it's a neat experience and it pays homage to a lot of different western movies.

Bought: Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition - I've had the older versions for a long time but I couldn't say no to the newer version on a daily deal. Having a lot of fun with this game already.

Bought: Hearthstone Curse of Naxxramas Adventure - Gave blizz my 20 bux to open the wings as soon as they come out. Currently at 100% of what's released but the content is still coming

Nulled: Serious Sam 2 - Apparently it's poo poo? Got this one as part of a bundle. Based on what I've heard about it it may not be worth the time.

Nulled: Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition - Pretty redundant now that I have the new version. Played a ways into the campaign awhile back but I'm finding the multiplayer of BB is the real draw anyway

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Magrunner: Dark Pulse

Expected: puzzles about magnets
Got: eaten by fishmen

The writing was nothing much, but the puzzles were fun, so it's about what I expected. Fun, but towards the end it needed less blowing up and/or running from monsters and more magnets.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
A quick round of Nulls

//N.P.P.D.RUSH// - The milk of Ultra violet
Jeff Minters games are kind of boring compared to this acid trip.
Top down shooter with an 80s color and analog TV feel to it, but it's really confusing as gently caress.
Best thing about the game though, was when I hit escape to pause, it exited to Windows without warning.

3 Stars of Destiny
An RPG Maker game, and I believe from one of the worst authors around.

8BitBoy
A Mario clone.

Eufloria
Pretty drat chill and beautiful game. Loved the mechanics and had hoped it would just stay a chill semi-strategy game, but yeah, that wasn't going to happen.

Freedom Force
I never got the sound to work except for the tune that plays in the menu, and it hasn't aged well, even though I've heard it's pretty fun.

Full Mojo Rampage
OK, if you enjoy top-down roguelikes, such as Hero Siege, definitely look into this. I had a bunch of fun playing this and really enjoyed the mechanics of carrying over some items from game to game.
Really polished and there is coop too.
Grab it in the next sale!

Kings' Bounty: The Legend
I only null this because I want to play one of the more recent ones where some of the few small annoyances I have with the game might have been fixed.

Space Hack
At least it was free, but I guess that's the only positive thing I have to say about it.
Some kind of action RPG or some such.

Spirits
I'm not into Lemmings clones, no matter how nice they look.

T.E.C. 3001
An endless runner in 3D. Pretty fun for a few minutes.

And a single Beaten game

Time Mysteries: The Ancient Spectres
Hidden Object puzzle. It had some really annoying puzzles though.

Currently playing/lined up
Valiant Hearts: I've played about an hour and while it's extremely beautiful, the game bores me to no end. It's a WW1 sob story and you already know either the dog, the dad or the black guy doesn't make it. I'll probably give it another half hour before deciding.
Guise of the Wolf: I picked this at random, and I've already regretted wasting resources downloading it. And that's before even starting it.
Resonance or Blackwell Unbound: Both are ready to be played - I just need to decide which one is the first.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Soul Suspect - Excellent walking sim with terrible stealth 'gameplay'. It'd be perfect without the combat entirely. I enjoyed walking through walls and eavesdropping on people. The story was fine and silly in a good way.

BEATEN: Shovel Knight - It's good and Propeller Knight is the best music in the game. I'll play through it again when they add some of the stretch goal patches.

BEATEN: Testament of Sherlock Holmes - poo poo game, regretted playing through the whole thing, the other Frogwares Sherlocks are better, what the gently caress was this game and its dumb as poo poo final act. You go from sinister suspicions around Sherlock to Saturday Morning villain plot on a dime. Boooooooooooooooo

BEATEN: Tomb Raider - I enjoyed playing this game but this is not a game that can be taken seriously. The entire time is spent devising ways to have Lara faceplant or slam into something. There isn't a single thing that doesn't break or snap and cause Lara to slam into a rock or tree.

BEATEN: Bioshock Infinite - Honestly, it was better than the anti-hype indicated, but it ends on such a goofball note and it's hard to tell if they actually spent a long time coming up with that plot twist or if it was the 4th or 5th pitch that was given in the writers room. They probably would have been better off not trying to tie it into the other games. Either way it's the end of that franchise and I think that's just fine.

ONGOING: Sticker Star - This is a game I can't put down, but I also recognize that people hate it. There's nothing I can do about this. I just like the game.

ADDED: Dishonored - I'm past the first mission with the overseer, and I've already encountered Bethesda Jank when I personally watched the uncle captain escape and flee down the streets, only to find out later that somehow he was still considered dead. Oh well!!

ADDED: Book of Unwritten Tales - Early impression is not very strong. I'm already not interested in the plot or the humor. Which is bad for a point n click adventure.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

ADDED: Dishonored - I'm past the first mission with the overseer, and I've already encountered Bethesda Jank when I personally watched the uncle captain escape and flee down the streets, only to find out later that somehow he was still considered dead. Oh well!!

There is a spot that's marked as safe to leave his body so unless he's unconscious there he's dead. Its a bit daft but if he meets the guy who wants to kill him for drinks and you spill everything the guy will lure him down to his weird sex dungeon and presumably murder him there with assistance.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Goofballs posted:

There is a spot that's marked as safe to leave his body so unless he's unconscious there he's dead. Its a bit daft but if he meets the guy who wants to kill him for drinks and you spill everything the guy will lure him down to his weird sex dungeon and presumably murder him there with assistance.
I went to his secret chamber and I stopped him from murdering the dude, but the captain didn't say anything and he just left and then ran out of the place as some guards chased him. Like, I looked out a window later and saw him running past the gate and everything.

But I guess there was supposed to be some sort of dialogue that was supposed to trigger that would award me the completed objective that didn't trigger.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I decided that with a constantly-ballooning list of games, to go at that list with a hacksaw, stop worrying about how much I paid for these things at the time, and just stop making myself feel compelled to play things I don't enjoy. So, I just pulled a Fart of Presto, and went with a cleaver to games I didn't personally enjoy, even if they were "good".

With that in mind.

Nulled
Sonic Generation - Half this game's charm is classic Genesis-era nostalgia. The other half is fast-paced, reactive gameplay. I grew up with a SNES and my reflexes aren't good enough to speed through the levels like it keeps making me feel like I'm supposed to.

Gratuitous Space Battles - I like this game, I really do. But I feel like the systems aren't transparent enough to really analyze your strategies and builds like it seems to want you to, and I'm not interested enough to go look up the specific mechanisms behind it all. The UI for figuring out what worked and what didn't isn't especially useful or intuitive, and having to unlock a seemingly-arbitrary selection of parts isn't helping. For what I played, I ended up leaning on the crutch of heavy shields and lots of missiles for almost everything.

Gratuitous Tank Battles - Similar issues. Plus, maybe it's just because I've been playing tower defense games for years at this point, but there was just nothing about this that held my attention.

Game Dev Tycoon - Another one where the low-level mechanics are simple enough to understand (RPG + Fantasy + PC = Good, Simulation + Alien + Gameboy = Bad), but once you get up to the point where your staff has mechanisms and stats and training, things aren't really explained beyond the vaguest senses, and I never could figure out why one game would get good scores and another wouldn't. Feels too much like work trying to puzzle this out.

Serious Sam 3 - It's Serious Sam HD again. A couple of the early bosses were fun, but I never actually got around to finishing Painkiller, so I'll probably never end up finishing this, either.

Resident Evil 4 (PC) - I cannot overstate how much I love this game... when it isn't chugging and slowing down like I'm trying to run it on a toaster. Mouse controls are also remarkably unintuitive for this, and I just ended up spending the whole time wishing I could play it on the Wii again.

The Sims 3 - Bought on a lark, but hasn't really grabbed my interest at all.

Medal of Honor - Meh.

The Bureau: X-COM Declassified - Also meh.

The Witcher 2 (PC) - I got recommended this game because I love Dark Souls, but the controls feel both too floaty and too clunky. I've tried it with both KB+M and with a controller, but I just can't get into a 'challenging' game if half the challenge is figuring out how the gently caress to make the dude do what you want to do.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

EightDeer posted:

I've decided to take notes from Fart of Presto,

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, I just pulled a Fart of Presto,
I'm happy to see that I have influenced some people into just cutting through the bullshit and enjoy the games that actually feels fun to play, while accepting the loss and move on from all the crap, we all have in our backlogs.

:shobon::respek::)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've mostly been playing puzzle games lately, and I've also been unusually willing to fall over to hints instead of being stuck for weeks.

BEATEN: DROD 2: Journey to Rooted Hold. These are taking over my brain. I'm going to need to take a break from DROD even though The City Beneath is sitting right there on my hard drive, taunting me. This is so much better than DROD 1 it's not even funny, though. Much smoother difficulty progression, only a handful of "argh, you have got to be kidding" levels, most of which involved either half-contained tarstuff that regularly floods you with hordes of enemies, or tarstuff/trapdoor mixes. Then there were some that mixed that with room-level time limits. I took hints for some of those, and walkthroughs for a few. I don't have the tiniest bit of shame for doing so, either, not when following a walkthrough on one of those rooms took several hours. And even with that bullshit, it was still less aggravating and more engaging than some of the BS endrooms in DROD 1.

NEW GAME/BEATEN: Sokobond. It's just what it looks like, and it's darn clever while being that, too. I love that they got the guy that made SpaceChem to give a self-deprecating pullquote.

IN PROGRESS: The Shivah. This should be over soon. It's less puzzle game and more graphic adventure, though.

And, in non-puzzle gameplay:

NEW GAME/BEATEN: Kero Blaster. This is what it says it is: a game about bein' a frog and blastin' stuff. There isn't a lot here to recommend, though it is by the Cave Story guy and the gameplay is pretty smooth, I guess. I got this mainly to throw money at Studio Pixel.

NEW GAME: Saira. I got this because (a) it was free after a long span of being commercial and (b) I have yet to play a game by Nicklas Nygren that I've actually disliked. Rumor has it this will be the first, but I owe it a fair shake, especially given the price.

NOT IN PROGRESS: I've poked a little at Shadowrun Returns, Sunless Sea, The Banner Saga, Strike Suit Zero, and Gemini Rue. All of these games are really depressing to play, though. So is The Shivah, for that matter. This is making it hard to keep interest in playing any of them. I guess I'll give Kero Blaster credit for being perky. Maybe I should walk through my collection of bundle trash again looking for silly perky games.

Oh hey, Papo & Yo, that should be gr... :stonk: :smithicide:

OK, more seriously, I seem to have The Bard's Tale, Brütal Legend, Deadpool, Just Cause 2, and Saint's Row 3 here, and that's without even looking into the bundled stuff. Intrusion 2 and (from GOG) Dyad look kinda promising on that front.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just Cause 2 is an amazing romp as long as you don't let yourself get dragged down trying to find all the collectables. Just break that out if you need some stupid fun, and don't be afraid to mod in stuff like superman flight and removing the Black Market cutscene/prices. It's a big explosion-y sandbox full of tanks, rocket launchers and jetplanes, and not the kind of thing you take even remotely seriously.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 11, 2014

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

I'm happy to see that I have influenced some people into just cutting through the bullshit and enjoy the games that actually feels fun to play, while accepting the loss and move on from all the crap, we all have in our backlogs.

:shobon::respek::)

Well, you didn't seem too concerned about making sure you got your money's worth out of every last game. So, I gave your method a try and what do you know, I'm actually happier doing it this way.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Steam lets me hide games, all is lost.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Right, this seems like the thread for me. Currently at 657 games on Steam, of which I've beaten about 46 and completely beaten (meaning all achievements on Steam, or if achievements aren't available, to a certain point I feel is enough) 45.

In the spirit of this thread, I've decided to start a new category, called "Crap you shouldn't waste your time on!" This should keep me from backlogging universally acclaimed games to play crap games (like Bad Bots :argh:). I've also decided to limit the amount of games that I intend on finishing at 2, with the exception of playing/farming cards and PlayFire rewards. I'm also giving myself 2 games to put on "Clean up", meaning I'll play them occasionally to try and get all the achievements. Not putting any games there for the moment though. We'll see how this goes.

The two games I'll start off with are:

T.E.C 3001, because it seems like a nice casual game I can play for a few minutes at a time.
Deus Ex: HR, because it is pretty much the opposite of the above and I've been meaning to play it for ages.

Wish me luck goons!

Edit: Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how PlayFire deals with rewards you've completed before they were announced? Are those lost forever, do you need to reinstall and start the game up, or will it catch them regardless?

Kuule hain nussivan fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 13, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Edit: Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how PlayFire deals with rewards you've completed before they were announced? Are those lost forever, do you need to reinstall and start the game up, or will it catch them regardless?

When the program first started it seemed a bit hit or miss. Sometimes I got credit for previously completed achievements. Other times I didn't. Trying to game the system by unlocking and relocking them with SAM didn't really seem to have any noticeable effect. Been a while since I've noticed getting credit for already completed achievement so I believe they've refined the system.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Why play my ever growing backlog when I can just play my 900th hour of DOTA 2/Team Fortress 2?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Dishonored - What a cool game (INDEED I BELIEVE SO), it's also one of the few PC first person games that controls really well with the 360 controller which is good for lean-back gaming. The stealth AI is kind of crap but everything else was great.

BEATEN: Dead Space - System Shock 2.5 essentially. Got a little tiring near the end, like this needed to be a 6-7 hour campaign rather than an 9 hour campaign. Too much backtracking!

BEATEN: Call of Juarez Gunslinger - The ultimate run and gun game. At some point it starts to feel like a shooting gallery rather than a FPS. Like a super insanely fast modern remake of Mad Dog McCree.

SHELVED: Alice: Madness Returns - First impressions did not thrill me. The game is hard-locked to 30fps and that already is a snoozer. Also the combat is identical to Ocarina of Time and combat in OOT was not exactly the greatest.

SHELVED: Book of Unwritten Tales - First impressions were not great. Bland storytelling, bland design. Lots of lampshade humor which is frankly lame.

ADDED: Dishonored Knife of Dunwall - I pretty much have to, right. It's an additional campaign, I mean c'mon.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart: Another competently-made Artifex Mundi hidden object game. These are very relaxing.
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes: Starts off good, ends up a bit annoying, particularly the final area. The deduction boards and actual investigating were fun. The very slight delay on movement from when you press the key drove me nuts by the end.
Super Panda Adventures: Super fun and well-made except the boss fights. HP is through the roof on most of them. A very solid Metroidvania.

Also officially gave up on Don't Starve since I think it's just not for me really. Played about an hour of The Bard's Tale remake, until the world map opens up, and my impression is that the writing is stupid and the gameplay is boring. Maybe if it had quicksave it'd be more tolerable. Anyone know if it gets any better? Thinking of just retiring it and moving on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SHELVED: The Cat Lady: Horror adventure game made in AGS. Weird art-style, some pretty major bugs, but a really good story. I'm gonna put this down for a while, on the off-chance that it gets its bugs patched. At least the ones that crash to desktop and lose me an hour of progress because there's no autosaves.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Another batch of games are off the backlog. Hooray :toot:

Beaten/Finished/Done

Blackwell Unbound
Another great entry in the series and again it didn't overstay its welcome. I must admit that I went to a walk-through to figure out a few puzzles though. Don't play adventure games late at night.

Freddi Fish and The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds
I just want to see what this was about, as I had gotten it as part of the Humongous Humble Speed Bundle (something like that), and it was actually a charming little kids point and click adventure. Awesome animations with lots of small things that just "do something" when you click them, good voice work, some OK puzzles for kids and most surprisingly, for me at least, it was made by Ron Gilbert.
I looked a bit more into it and not only Freddi Fish, but also Putt-Putt and Pajama Sam were made by him and his company. Now I'm actually looking forward to play some bundle games :)

Long Live The Queen
I consider it "Done" as I went through and got one ending. It was a painful experience like all these "go to class and learn a skill then have deep emotional conversations with boy/girl/parent" games are.
Add to that some dreadful anime graphics and supermarket piano music.

Midnight Mysteries 4: Haunted Houdini
A Hidden Object adventure game. Still the best series as its focus is on HO and less on annoying puzzles.
It has great unlocks as you are able to "clean the scenes" HO style plus a "Find 100 items" over several scenes.

Millionaire Manor
Definitely Old-School Hidden Object game, as all the scenes were HO but with twists, like find pairs, use silhouettes, use descriptions etc.
Low res though.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War
A really charming 2D comic style puzzle/platformer game, that I was just about to give up. Glad I didn't, as I really enjoyed the story that actually surprised me and then again, it probably shouldn't have.
Definitely look into this in the next sale, even if you are not into these types of games. Style and story is worth the time and money spent.

Nulled

The Apogee Throwback Pack and Commander Keen Complete Pack
I got to admit, it really needs to be something special before I'll spend more than 10 minutes on something that launches in DOSBox. None of these games are special in my heart.

Guise of the Wolf
Some cell-shaded FPS action adventure, that runs in really low res and its atmosphere is just as dead as the main character after got eaten by a giant wolf. Milked it for cards though.

Prototype
I had looked forward to playing this, but the controls took some time getting used too (camera and character are separate entities to control) and the game was basically just a fancy brawler that started to look a tiny bit dated when you compare with other open world games.
If I had played more than a bit less than an hour, I might have discovered something awesome, but even when the developers gave me all the tools to play around with at first, they also made the huge mistake of taking them all away again in a classic "X days earlier".
Hopefully Prototype 2 is a bit more polished.

Receiver
QWOP style FPS with 1-hit kill enemies. Add to that some tapes where you have to listen to someone talking about expanding your mind. No.

Scratches: Director's Cut
I'm pretty sure someone mentioned in the Steam thread, that this was a really scary game.
They were correct: It's scary that someone are still able to sell games with pre-rendered scenery and movement a la Myst where it's not a Hidden Object game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam, and Spy Fox. What really set those games apart was starting with Pajama Sam 2 or Freddi Fish 2 (forget which came first) they randomized the game from the beginning. I'm not talking about puzzles but entire maps, characters, and events. Spy Fox 2 has to be played 6 or so times to see everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Marlow Briggs - $1 during the Steam sale was highway robbery... for the first 3/5ths of this game, which honestly is probably good enough for me. It's just, the last 2/5ths are really not very fun. Too many enemies with ridiculous amounts of HP. I just started running past most combat where I could.

BEATEN: Prince of Persia 08 - This game was fun EXCEPT FOR THE BANJO KAZOOIE poo poo. Stop making me collect light seed jiggys, just let me go explore places.

BEATEN: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Great level design offering varied routes, fun goofy story, super low-budget ending; it's a legit Deus Ex game.

IFFY: Metro 2033 - I'm not feeling it so far.

ADDED: Bulletstorm - I actually shelved this game when E3 came up and I got super busy with E3 stuff, now I'm gonna get back into it.