Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

Probably a dumb question, but does your ruler have the incapable trait? I'm pretty sure that locks out factions entirely.

Here's the script for who's allowed to start an elective faction and when:

[code]

No. Even before this the only faction available was to lower CA, so I was able to start factions, but was limited in the factions I could create. Earlier on before I gutted CA I saw factions for seniority and claimants etc. I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

timp posted:

I tried to Arrange Marriage once she turned 15 (her portrait changed from a kid to an adult so I figured that was my cue [god this game is creepy sometimes]), but it won't let me choose myself as her match. She doesn't like me very much, does that matter? I'm playing the GoT mod as Roose Bolton so I'm kind of a creep. When I give her a gift it raises her opinion of me to a whopping 2.

You can't marry her until she comes of age, at 16. That's probably why it doesn't let you choose yourself as a match. When the betrothed child comes of age, you'll get a popup that has a ring with a little heart on it, that says "Betrothed Can Marry" when you hover over it. Clicking it will bring you to the diplomacy screen where you'll be able to marry them.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

You can't marry her until she comes of age, at 16. That's probably why it doesn't let you choose yourself as a match. When the betrothed child comes of age, you'll get a popup that has a ring with a little heart on it, that says "Betrothed Can Marry" when you hover over it. Clicking it will bring you to the diplomacy screen where you'll be able to marry them.

The last time I tried was when she was 19, still no go. And I'm almost positive I never received a pop-up telling me I could marry.

I'm sure I'm just missing something but I can't play around with it until later tonight, oh well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

timp posted:

The last time I tried was when she was 19, still no go. And I'm almost positive I never received a pop-up telling me I could marry.

I'm sure I'm just missing something but I can't play around with it until later tonight, oh well.

Perhaps you turned off the notification.

This has happened to me in regular games. You can't marry her because she's betrothed already - to you. The only way to fix it is to break the betrothal amd marry her directly.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

Is there any way to get the game to stop automatically re-assigning wards when I'm playing as a muslim. It keeps switching guardians around for my daughters and pissing everyone off.

This bug made me abandon my last Muslim game. So frustrating. I was doing really well but my entire court and all my vassals had at least -100 opinion of me from losing wards repeatedly.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

marktheando posted:

This bug made me abandon my last Muslim game. So frustrating. I was doing really well but my entire court and all my vassals had at least -100 opinion of me from losing wards repeatedly.

Thankfully its just one guy it keeps happening to, and he's also my friend which I think is locking him out of starting poo poo. I say this because he's sitting at -100 with a -500 opinion malus and has not started or joined a faction yet.

On a lighter note, one of my heirs seems to be medieval muslim Rain Man. He's an imbecile but somehow still has a stewardship of 11. Qadi Wapner at 7:00. Definitely definitely gotta watch Qadi Wapner at 7:00. Dad lets me drive the carriage slow on palace grounds on saturdays.

e. I dunno how much experience people have playing muslim vassals with high learning but you should give it a try at least once just so you can play around with being Chief Qadi. You get to have guys lashed for marital infidelity, which can cause wounding or even maiming.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 31, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

marktheando posted:

It just happens to girls, and since they are pratically useless for muslims except for marrying then out, I just stopped caring.

But yeah, it is an annoying bug.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mugabe posted:

Guys I feel like an idiot but I am actually having trouble installing Lux Invicta. I downloaded the one from before the map update, because better to play a more stable version, and I can't seem to install it right.

Are you dumping the entire folder into your mod directory? Because that won't work. Try moving the .mod file into the root /mods folder.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ok after playing again for half an hour and letting the HRE wars wind down I STILL can't form factions, aside from independence. Any ideas what is causing this?

edit: The AI can form factions. I just blew 200 gold killing the Emperor and about 5 factions instantly sprouted up.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 1, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ok after playing again for half an hour and letting the HRE wars wind down I STILL can't form factions, aside from independence. Any ideas what is causing this?

edit: The AI can form factions. I just blew 200 gold killing the Emperor and about 5 factions instantly sprouted up.

The only reason I can think of is your titles are not dejure HRE

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rumda posted:

The only reason I can think of is your titles are not dejure HRE

Like I said before, I had the option to form factions before. To make sure I claimed some German duchy and held on to it. I now have the option to nominate myself for the election, but I still can;t form factions. I joined a random faction to put me on the throne and decided to assassinate the leader so I would become leader, but the faction just disbanded.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's weird that noone has come across this...I guess most folks don't usually play vassals, I know I don't. I'm just going to accept that I'm the victim of an extremely lovely bug.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's weird that noone has come across this...I guess most folks don't usually play vassals, I know I don't. I'm just going to accept that I'm the victim of an extremely lovely bug.

Have you been warned off conspiring?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rumda posted:

Have you been warned off conspiring?

I've said this a couple of times, but this bug is occurring across generations. I have NEVER been warned off conspiring. I decided to brute force my way to the throne and declared war to depose liege and put myself on the throne...and some other guy took the throne when I one. I'm beyond frustrated.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've said this a couple of times, but this bug is occurring across generations. I have NEVER been warned off conspiring. I decided to brute force my way to the throne and declared war to depose liege and put myself on the throne...and some other guy took the throne when I one. I'm beyond frustrated.

Try setting your primary title to a dejure HRE title or wait for your title to drift in it maybe that you need to be a dejure vassal to force succession laws.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm trying to do some religion modding. Right now I have the religions actually adjusted/made, but very much not finished. I need to set Holy Sites for all these religions first off, and then I need to do localisations for the religions and their descriptions. So, for my questions, where do you set Holy Sites? Do I have to do anything special to set the religion's descriptions? And would I need to do anything else?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

catlord posted:

I'm trying to do some religion modding. Right now I have the religions actually adjusted/made, but very much not finished. I need to set Holy Sites for all these religions first off, and then I need to do localisations for the religions and their descriptions. So, for my questions, where do you set Holy Sites? Do I have to do anything special to set the religion's descriptions? And would I need to do anything else?

Holy sites are in landed titles. The description is just religion_name_DESC in localization.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
You stick holy sites in the landed_titles file, look at Rome for an example.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sam. posted:

Holy sites are in landed titles. The description is just religion_name_DESC in localization.

Shadeoses posted:

You stick holy sites in the landed_titles file, look at Rome for an example.

Ah, thanks. I was hoping it wouldn't be something that'd interfere with my other mini-mod though. Might as well merge them, I guess.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rumda posted:

Try setting your primary title to a dejure HRE title or wait for your title to drift in it maybe that you need to be a dejure vassal to force succession laws.

This might not have been a bad idea since I was already able to create Bavaria. However, I already married a claim to the HRE into my direct line and pressed my heir's claim the old fashioned way. Now I just hope I or my heir dies asap so I can take over.

edit: Jesus Christ that took way longer than it should have:

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 1, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Do you or your liege have any temporary titles?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SeaTard posted:

Do you or your liege have any temporary titles?

No. I spent maybe 30 odd years not being able to form factions and myself and my liege changed ruler several times during that period so it's nothing to do with any kind of temporary restriction.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

so it's nothing to do with any kind of temporary restriction.

Temporary titles have permanent restrictions. :)

Can you post a save where you were having the problem?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Another newbie question: What's the best way to find out what's going on around the world? Occasionally I'll discover there are a bunch of armies running around that belong to lords I've never heard of, or I'll find that the King has imprisoned like 10 people out of the blue. for the armies I'll check factions and nothing will be there, and when people get imprisoned I'll click their profile but I can't see what "crime" they've been accused of. Any way to be more "in the loop" w/r/t current events that pop up in my Gold notifications that don't directly affect me?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ulmont posted:

Temporary titles have permanent restrictions. :)

Can you post a save where you were having the problem?

So what? If I ever get a temporary title I lose the ability to ever form a faction forever? That's stupid. No save because I was playing Ironman and I have since brute forced my way to the top of the heap.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've posted a picture of what happened so if you want to look at that and notice that I do not hold any temporary titles and am not at war. There is zero reason why I cannot form factions.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, I decided to try and play a game in Greece as a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor. Tried that before, and it didn't go so well when the Seljuks were banging down the Emperor's door to the point where I had to declare independence because they were going for loads of my lands and the Emperor wasn't going to be able to defend them, so the easiest solution was "hey, you just said you were going to take the lands ruled over by the Emperor! Well, my lands are independent now - suck it!". Then I quit because I got a Jihad called on me, I only had lands in that de jure kingdom and I was pretty much the only Orthodox still around.

"Well", I thought, "that was vanilla. I'll try playing with HIP, that should help."

I was wrong. Oh so wrong. Once again, it got down to the point of "oh god, I have to declare independence now or I'm going to get murdered", and immediately swore fealty to the expanding menace of Rum. They seem to have calmed down now that the Byzantines are basically dead, but who knows what'll happen when they're actually dead.

Nobody demanded conversion from me so far, so maybe I can be the Orthodox savior of Greece?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've posted a picture of what happened so if you want to look at that and notice that I do not hold any temporary titles and am not at war. There is zero reason why I cannot form factions.

Are you in Ironman or can you use the console to check if you've got any character flags on you? That might be where the bug is. I don't know, I'm just spitballing ideas.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

Are you in Ironman or can you use the console to check if you've got any character flags on you? That might be where the bug is. I don't know, I'm just spitballing ideas.

Yeah, unfortunately no save or console due to ironman, It sounds like you've got the right idea though. I scoured the net and couldn't find a single person complaining about this problem. Googling factions and CK2 just brings up a bunch of "how do I get rid of factions" complaints.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So what? If I ever get a temporary title I lose the ability to ever form a faction forever?
Nah, I just meant as long as you were holding a temporary title you'd have the problem.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There are several blocks I couldn't check from just your picture that could have been the issue:

1) If your liege holds any temporary title, you can't form an elective faction.
2) If your liege was fighting a war involving an elective ultimatum, which appears to be in either direction (so maybe an alliance chain somewhere way across the map), you can't form an elective faction.
3) If there was a bug and the HRE was somehow counting as a tribal type, you can't form an elective faction.

So a shame about ironman.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ulmont posted:

Nah, I just meant as long as you were holding a temporary title you'd have the problem.

There are several blocks I couldn't check from just your picture that could have been the issue:

1) If your liege holds any temporary title, you can't form an elective faction.
2) If your liege was fighting a war involving an elective ultimatum, which appears to be in either direction (so maybe an alliance chain somewhere way across the map), you can't form an elective faction.
3) If there was a bug and the HRE was somehow counting as a tribal type, you can't form an elective faction.

So a shame about ironman.

1: My liege is an emperor...how can he hold a temp title?

2: You can see there are no wars going on in the picture. If my liege was in a war I would by default be involved in one way or another.

3: Other vassals can form factions, just not me. That's the only thing you can't see in the picture.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

1: My liege is an emperor...how can he hold a temp title?
Inheritance. In a couple of my playthroughs I've ended up holding a temp title accidentally as an Emperor.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

2: You can see there are no wars going on in the picture. If my liege was in a war I would by default be involved in one way or another.
Not necessarily. I've been a vassal with a war declared for my titles that I couldn't join or do anything else about (other than shiv-shenanigans, of course).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ulmont posted:

Inheritance. In a couple of my playthroughs I've ended up holding a temp title accidentally as an Emperor.

But then nobody in Knuc's empire should be able to start factions either.

My guess is that something's gotten glitched up in the character flags, if only because we can't eliminate that possibility. Character flags could be a very, very easy place for a bug to happen, since they're dynamically defined in the script; as opposed to traits and such which need to be predefined somewhere else. It's extremely easy for a typo to happen, and completely bork whatever you're doing with no external indication that the script is wrong.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 1, 2014

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Apologies if this has been asked already, but does your character have the Honest trait? In my game I was running a faction with a character who did, and my King asked me to stop. Because of my trait, the only option was "okay sorry bro no more plotting" and I wasn't allowed to form any more factions after that.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playing as a patrician, is it generally better to make new trade posts or to upgrade ones you already have? I just picked up The Republic and there are a lot of variables here that I don't really have the hang of.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as a patrician, is it generally better to make new trade posts or to upgrade ones you already have? I just picked up The Republic and there are a lot of variables here that I don't really have the hang of.

Build up to your limit first, then build to increase your limit (mansion upgrades), then build up to your limit again, and only then upgrade. If you wait to upgrade, other people can snap up the good spots. At least that's my theory.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TheMcD posted:

So, I decided to try and play a game in Greece as a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor. Tried that before, and it didn't go so well when the Seljuks were banging down the Emperor's door to the point where I had to declare independence because they were going for loads of my lands and the Emperor wasn't going to be able to defend them, so the easiest solution was "hey, you just said you were going to take the lands ruled over by the Emperor! Well, my lands are independent now - suck it!". Then I quit because I got a Jihad called on me, I only had lands in that de jure kingdom and I was pretty much the only Orthodox still around.

"Well", I thought, "that was vanilla. I'll try playing with HIP, that should help."

I was wrong. Oh so wrong. Once again, it got down to the point of "oh god, I have to declare independence now or I'm going to get murdered", and immediately swore fealty to the expanding menace of Rum. They seem to have calmed down now that the Byzantines are basically dead, but who knows what'll happen when they're actually dead.

Nobody demanded conversion from me so far, so maybe I can be the Orthodox savior of Greece?

The problem with HIP is that it has this completely retarded sultanate of rum event where most of Anatolia will get ceded to Rum even after Byzantium takes a relatively minor thrashing and then you get things like the Bulgarian empire spawning in and everything goes :dice: for the Emperor.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you get a notification that someone was imprisoned by another lord, but you're not directly involved, what's the best way to find out why they were imprisoned?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I always rush to the trade post limit (I can usually get to about 27 or so before the men in my court stop having enough male babies to keep growing) and then upgrade, but if you know you're a few years off from your next post, it's worth it to upgrade what you have.

Once you hit the limit and you don't see yourself growing anymore, start attacking rival republics and stealing their trade zones :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I asked this earlier but never got an answer. A few times I've gotten popups asking if I wanted to instigate a war with a trade republic who held posts in my land. What are the pros and cons of doing this? Am I losing money by allowing non-vassal republics to operate in my territory?

• Locked thread