Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Er, ah....there's just one moore thing I wanted to ask you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 2, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (January 11-13, 1951)

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Had to be done:

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

This may be the first time that we've seen actual drawing in this strip.

Pibgorn

Psst, Romeo! That spinning noise you're hearing is coming from Shakespeare's grave.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

To infernal Hades with the 180-degree rule! I'm Brooke McEldowney! I can draw howsoever I please!

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Inspector Danger is wrong about Holmes. His favorite pipe was cherrywood. The meerschaum was used by an actor who didn't want to cover his mouth while he said lines.

I guess I'm doing Bleeker now.

And Pickles is without sin.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Mister Beeg posted:

Okay, I do have something to post.

During my self-imposed exile here, I became a fan of Peter Bagge. I bought two of his books while in LA, one of them being "Stupid Comics", put out by Fantagraphics in 1991. One of the comics is "Generic Comix". Think "Super Fun-Pak Comix" from Tom the Dancing Bug, except nastier. I figure it's appropriate for this thread. Enjoy!

Not sure if pointed out, but the cartoonist is one of Jim Davis's many assistants at Paws Inc, working on "Garfield". He also did a webcomic about a barbarian called "Legend of Bill". I'm a bigger fan of "Groo the Wanderer", personally.

:golfclap:

Martini Baton is the closest thing he did to a daily strip but its NWS as hell (banned by british customs lol). Funniest thing ever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the most 80s CGI crypt I've ever seen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arctic Circle

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 1, 2014

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Nicely executed, as usual, Tiggum. :golfclap:

Jane's World

Truck? Sabotage? What?

Non Sequitur

Hey, my lawyer's a pretty alright guy. I'd take him to lunch.

Heavenly Nostrils is still exactly one day late.

John Cage's 4'33''

Kliban

I really like this one. Especially the scrap pile of "lines" outside. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 8/1/2003

"With some success"? Thanks for that really weird visual, Brooke.

Zits

We got to see the legendary Dick Dale who was in Cleveland last week, and when I first saw the "SPANG" in the middle panel, some of his chords were the first thing I thought of. Talk about your high-end. Wow.

Kevin & Kell

Wait, what? So now the "prey" are farmers? What a hosed up universe.

That was the remake, though. The original was done in the TV series in 1963 with William Shatner. "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet".

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I've looked at the next couple of Luann strips, and it's safe to say that nobody should feel any kind of sympathy for TJ.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Green Intern posted:

I've looked at the next couple of Luann strips, and it's safe to say that nobody should feel any kind of sympathy for TJ.

This goes without saying.

Cul-de-sac outrage!!

The Creeps is apparently now sticking to the new schedule, no new creeps today :smith:

Poptropica is new, however!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

I know about driving teenagers away with classical music but I'm still not buying it actually works.

Fok_It

:unsmith:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Green Intern posted:

If he serves crap like that he deserves to have his bus blown up.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (May 13, 1927)

Peanuts (August 4, 1967)

The Psychological Torture Of The Immaculately Pure Artist

:bang: THE WORD IS AUTOBIOGRAPHY. :bang:

Popeye, in which Olive puts a limp dong on her head.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 25-26, 1925)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Truck? Sabotage? What?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac outrage!!
I think this is my favourite Cul de Sac. :allears:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

:what:

Classic Prince Valiant

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Val has some weird mental swings. He'll spend a month living as a slave because he wants to get a sword back, and two days later he'll give up his quest for love and become a crusader because some dude he ran into reminded him of his dad. Might as well Make a Go of it Comix.

Pooch Café

It is canon that Poncho no longer notices the smell of cats, so this still works.

Ballard Street

Well, props to Niles for trying to make an EV jetpack. Best case scenario the engines put out just enough power to make him jerk forward a bit and possibly fall down those stairs, but it's an admirable concept.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

How about some Howard the Duck?

NEXT: WHY

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shearsception

A double-shot of The Dinette Set since I forgot to post yesterdays and I know how much you all look forward to it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

:golfclap:

Martini Baton is the closest thing he did to a daily strip but its NWS as hell (banned by british customs lol). Funniest thing ever.

Bagge also did a comic strip called "Bat Boy" for the trashy Weekly World News tabloid, but I can only find a handful on the 'net. IDW printed the entire run in hardcover, though.

Also, there was an attempt to turn his "Hate" comic books into animation, by DiC of all the places (the idea that DiC would try to do adult animation is laughable for me). The 6-min pilot is on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbJLRcLr5zE

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (May 13, 1927)

I used "whistle the patter" on my daughter the other day when she was telling me a story about something, and she had the audacity to say, "What? What does that even mean? Did you have a stroke?". :v:

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

I'm with you, Mandrake, :wtf:? This is now drifting off into Monty Python skit territory.

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Awww! :cry:

What an honorable young man! Of course, now he'll probably get his sword ripped off again, but hey, nice job Val!

I'm loving the old PV, thanks for posting it!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Evil Mastermind posted:

A double-shot of The Dinette Set since I forgot to post yesterdays and I know how much you all look forward to it.

The Dinette Set is wonderful, but hits too close to home to comment on more often than not. I've got plenty of relatives, friend's relatives and random people on Facebook that are dead ringers for Dinette denizens. There's a little bit of me in there too.

It's us. We're the Pluggers.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mister Beeg posted:

Also, there was an attempt to turn his "Hate" comic books into animation, by DiC of all the places (the idea that DiC would try to do adult animation is laughable for me). The 6-min pilot is on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbJLRcLr5zE

Having read "Buddy Does Seattle" and "Buddy Does Jersey" multiple times (man, I miss my old library), this is one of those instances where the animated version doesn't work for me at all, because the voice work is atrocious. (Also, agreed that the animation house I remember most for doing Inspector Gadget doing "Hate" is indeed pretty :lol:.)

I feel like the last panel of this could be placed after any Foob, a la Goatckd.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

I don't know what the gently caress, least of all how that explained time travel, but I like it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Cow and Boy

Sherman's Lagoon

So ends that arc, hopefully.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

I had every C&H collection as a kid and even had the final strip from my local newspaper saved somewhere in my room for years. Reading them in this thread is kind of depressing since I am missing why I liked it so much as a kid.

I guess I grew up to be a horrible individual!!!

Oddly, when moving some books a while back, I ran across a bunch of Peanut's collections. They must have been old, since the early ones were like 50 cents for a book! I read them all and quite liked them, especially the early years. I was wondering reading in this thread why I remembered most of them, it was from when I re-read them like 7 years ago.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does oldschool Charlie Brown have invisible hair like Boy? Leukemia jokes aside, he's always been bald in the newer stuff but it actually just looks like stylized blond hair in the old comics.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes
Since it's part of the story-line (and GoComics' copy is actually decently-sized, for a change), here's the Sunday installment just for C&H.

Ripley's

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Trent posted:

Does oldschool Charlie Brown have invisible hair like Boy? Leukemia jokes aside, he's always been bald in the newer stuff but it actually just looks like stylized blond hair in the old comics.

Schulz said on a few occasions that he intended Charlie Brown to be towheaded, which is a fine, pale blonde. It's when they started having to color the character designs for the Sunday strips that the little squiggle on his forehead started causing trouble. And of course, Chuck only outright said he was bald in the TV specials, which aren't necessarily canon.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I used "whistle the patter" on my daughter the other day when she was telling me a story about something, and she had the audacity to say, "What? What does that even mean? Did you have a stroke?". :v:

Always belittlin'!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

Well, props to Niles for trying to make an EV jetpack. Best case scenario the engines put out just enough power to make him jerk forward a bit and possibly fall down those stairs, but it's an admirable concept.

He's obviously going pod racing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Magna Kaser posted:

I had every C&H collection as a kid and even had the final strip from my local newspaper saved somewhere in my room for years. Reading them in this thread is kind of depressing since I am missing why I liked it so much as a kid.

I guess I grew up to be a horrible individual!!!

Sounds like it. I had (have) every collection and also had the final strip clipped (might still be somewhere in some box). The older ones don't appeal to me as much but last year I read from "The Days Are Just Packed" onward and I still think they're gold.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Man what a sore loser.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Intelligent Life

It is a joke about geeks, you see

Robbie and Bobby didn't update today, though it usually only skips Saturday and Sunday. Weird.

Big Nate

Ew.

Francis from June 30, 2014

:catholic:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

You can't see it, but they're about to enter an elevator that's just outside the panel. Yet another innocent person who's life was ruined by Inspector Danger.

Oh, Brother

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Wanamingo posted:

You can't see it, but they're about to enter an elevator that's just outside the panel. Yet another innocent person who's life was ruined by Inspector Danger.

It's actually three perps, the doctor to the left of the big panel, the nurse in the background, and the doctor two panels after that. All three of them clearly got their 'uniforms' at a costume shop. Nurses haven't worn those little paper caps in decades, and flashlights have long made those head mirrors obsolete.

Arrest all three. It's a hat trick.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (August 3, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (January 15-17, 1951)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Props on the Columbo costume looking lovely as hell, if nothing else.

My Christie-reading girlfriend also noted that Marple has grey hair, though that may be a young costumer or colorist error.

• Locked thread