Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Swagger Dagger: It's hard to say much about interventors or any other hackers as the rules will be redone (and apparently vastly expanded) very soon. I would say for additional boxes, the starter sets for the various sectorial armies are good places to look. Value for money and gives you a number of models. If cost is a factor, things with small ancillary models like auxbots, koalas and pandas, or massier models like remotes, give you a bit less gameplay bang for their greater bucks cost.
So Nomads: bakunin and corregidor starters both good, Morlocks box gives you interesting and fun warband troops (if you're into that weird Bakunin poo poo), you could get some of the hellcat or tomcat drop troops.
PanO: Neoterra, MO or Acontecimento boxes all good, auxilia box maybe.

For individual models it is hard for me to actually recommend because there is so much variety. Throw out some names you like the look of and I'll explain what they do in (the current) rules.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm just going to get the Icestorm box and each faction's spec ops right now so I can try out different scenario rules. Down the line I want to get the Capitaline Army and Bolts for PanO since I love the models more than anything else in the faction, and probably Hellcats for Nomads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

WAR FOOT posted:

Truly, it is the Marut that has won out in these changes.

Why is that?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Because camo is now another -3 to opponent's roll instead of first strike; Marut's MSV2 nullifies the rest of the camo/TO penalty and it can eat the -3 with TAG BS.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there anyone else that carries futuristic fold-flat terrain like comes in Operation: Icestorm? I'd like my gaming table a lot better if I could fold it down for storage.

I may have to scan/print those to make some more...

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Does anyone know the dimensions of the buildings and cargo containers that come in OpIce? Id like to make some MDF versions for the missions, after seeing the demo video of them constantly knocking the terrain around.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

Does anyone know the dimensions of the buildings and cargo containers that come in OpIce? Id like to make some MDF versions for the missions, after seeing the demo video of them constantly knocking the terrain around.

The unboxing video here says the buildings are the size of the retail packages, and apparently the cargo container is sized to be the Paradiso train.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/infinity/unboxing-operation-icestorm/

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, looking at some of these changes makes me pretty happy, it'd be nice to not feel dumb for picking a special weapon that's not an HMG. Is there any word on if smoke + MSV is changing? How that worked was pretty much my #1 complaint with the game, and a change so I didn't have to face 4-6 cheap smoke grenade guys every game might make me play again. It certainly wasn't unbeatable, but it wasn't fun either.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
New rules preview video just went up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amBUsyvrjMU

There is also a play through of the final Operation Icestorm mission on the beasts of War site.

Does anyone know of any places that sell 4x4 mats that would me good for infinity? Stuff like the mat in the Icestorm Starter would be awesome.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Comrade Merf posted:

Does anyone know of any places that sell 4x4 mats that would me good for infinity? Stuff like the mat in the Icestorm Starter would be awesome.

Well that one they are using in the BoW vids are made by Micro Art Studio, but they havent released yet, it looks amazing though (mouse pad material too)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deviant posted:

Is there anyone else that carries futuristic fold-flat terrain like comes in Operation: Icestorm? I'd like my gaming table a lot better if I could fold it down for storage.

I may have to scan/print those to make some more...

This thread has links to a bunch of paper (and other) terrain but I can't personally vouch for the quality of any of it.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I was looking at the frontline gaming mats, but the shipping to EU is pretty steep.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

This thread has links to a bunch of paper (and other) terrain but I can't personally vouch for the quality of any of it.

The only problem with this stuff is none of it folds flat. I'm citing storage concerns. :(

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deviant posted:

The only problem with this stuff is none of it folds flat. I'm citing storage concerns. :(

I wasn't sure if it folded or not, sorry. If you like the aesthetics, the WorldWorks Terrainlinx stuff is made to store flat but you're not going to get any multi-story buildings out of it. You can really easily make a 4x4 "mat" that slides together really sturdily and add a bunch of walkways and upper levels to it to compliment bigger buildings you find elsewhere, though.

I've put together some of their fantasy terrain, and it was high quality stuff. You just print it out and glue it to foamcore, and it anchors well so stuff doesn't knock around.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 1, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am seriously loving the philosophy of simplification that they're taking with these rules updates.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fix posted:

I am seriously loving the philosophy of simplification that they're taking with these rules updates.
Yup, the games moved in a very good direction. As much as I hate comparing game systems, it's close to MK1 -> MK2 for Warmachine and it's a very good thing for the health of the game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I gotta wonder about the scattering on AD:Combat Jump though. Great that we don't have to do the Failure Category math anymore, but making it always scatter 16" seems like a pretty big deal. Could be mitigated a bit if you still get to put the template down and land anywhere on it, but that's like always missing your roll by more than 6.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Magic cylinders still make me warm and fuzzy inside. N3 will be a legit game.

And the tidbits about command tokens are incredibly intriguing. Really curious how link teams will work now.

e: Also, maybe it's that I've never paid enough attention to MI, but I feel like they're adding more armor to the MI we're seeing in Icestorm. They all seem to have 3+ ARM values. Which is good, because if they're slow then they ought to show reason for it.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 1, 2014

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Fix posted:

I gotta wonder about the scattering on AD:Combat Jump though. Great that we don't have to do the Failure Category math anymore, but making it always scatter 16" seems like a pretty big deal. Could be mitigated a bit if you still get to put the template down and land anywhere on it, but that's like always missing your roll by more than 6.

I suppose it's so it actually is an impediment to your plans, like the change to risky infiltration. If you scatter say 5" under the old rules, it could make no difference whatsoever to the success of whatever gambit you were trying.

I also really, really want to know about link team updates and the mentioned 'command tokens'. We've seen a fair bit about the changes to the basic rules, but not much about the rumoured rewrites of whole more advanced sections: hacking, cc and the like.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I mean, I play ALEPH. So that means I *need* this Ajax I just bought, right?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Deviant posted:

Here, I will make you feel better. I have been buying so many figures for infinity, I made a google spreadsheet, then a form to fill out every time I made a purchase to make sure I dont buy duplicates by mistake.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmC3HKYxUU_fdGxIOFZkNDlfRWtXXzZOWXF0MG1NY1E&usp=sharing

There are over 220 Infinity skus on there, thats packages, not figures...

So in my opinion, you need them all even if you dont play the factions :smug:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Deviant posted:

Ajax is literally the most fun model to use in ALEPH. Impetuous, cheap, durable, rolls many dice, and is only going to get better with the new bandings. Throws down like a champ. I'm worried he's becoming a crutch for me.

The only downside of him is that the concept art was a bearded black man, and the actual model is a clean-shaven white guy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Also, am I reading this wrong, or does Mayanet for iPad incorrectly list Ajax as non-impetuous? The web army builder says he is.

Q2: When someone has 2 weapons, like Ajax, do they get to fire them both? i.e. 2 combi rifles for 6 shots?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'm not sure about MayaNet, but Ajax is Regular Impetuous.

Deviant posted:

Q2: When someone has 2 weapons, like Ajax, do they get to fire them both? i.e. 2 combi rifles for 6 shots?

The burst increases by 1. So Ajax fires B4 combis in his active turn, b5 in a link.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 2, 2014

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm not sure about MayaNet, but Ajax is Regular Impetuous.

I believe you, this is just what Mayanet is showing me, which is irritating.

quote:

The burst increases by 1. So Ajax fires B4 combis in his active turn, b5 in a link.

Again, I believe you, but can you quote me a page number? I have to be able to justify that to my buddy.

Edit: I guess it's in the "New Rules" PDF? Ugh, this is confusing, and the wiki didn't exactly make that clear.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 2, 2014

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Deviant posted:

I believe you, this is just what Mayanet is showing me, which is irritating.

Again, I believe you, but can you quote me a page number? I have to be able to justify that to my buddy.

Edit: I guess it's in the "New Rules" PDF? Ugh, this is confusing, and the wiki didn't exactly make that clear.

Here you go!

http://infinitythegame.wikispot.org/Dual_Weaponry

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Thanks. Maybe I'll bring him. We're playing a "low fuckery" game on Sunday, so I don't want anything too complex to remember or explain.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Deviant posted:

Thanks. Maybe I'll bring him. We're playing a "low fuckery" game on Sunday, so I don't want anything too complex to remember or explain.

Thankfully, Ajax is about as straightforward as it gets with ALEPH. He is the bluntest of instruments and the terror factor of 'You can't stop this Dam 16 Explosive attack' if he makes close combat is huge.

e: Important thing for an ALEPH player to note, as it doesn't come up much, but you can spend an order from the pool to prevent an Impetuous order. If he would jump around the corner into a Viral Sniper Rifle, it might be wise to hold.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 2, 2014

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Deviant posted:

Looks cool. Exploding hammers are cool. Is cool.

WAR FOOT posted:

Ajax is literally the most fun model to use in ALEPH. Impetuous, cheap, durable, rolls many dice, and is only going to get better with the new bandings. Throws down like a champ. I'm worried he's becoming a crutch for me.

The only downside of him is that the concept art was a bearded black man, and the actual model is a clean-shaven white guy.

Eh, he can be any race after you paint him.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

That's very true, but lots of people try to paint 'codex' in Infinity, if that makes sense.

At least that's the case in my area.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I :h: my Ajax.

Errybody post your painted Infinities.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
'Exploding' weapons essentially mean it's being swung in an arc, right?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

As in, hits multiple people? Then no. Weapons specifically state if they use a template (Either Small Teardrop, Large Teardrop or Circular), and no close combat weapon does.

If you mean thematically how does he swing it, he swings with enough force to oneshot an Avatar. Ajax's hammer is the hardest-hitting weapon in the game. :black101:

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
This Ajax isn't mine, but it's beautiful...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

WAR FOOT posted:

If you mean thematically how does he swing it, he swings with enough force to oneshot an Avatar.
Riiight, 6 DMG EXP CCW? I'll stick with my monofilament, thanks.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
AP is one of those weird things that is crap against most units. But against the heaviest TAGs, you really, really need it. A Jotum or Avatar in cover is immune to regular rifles isn't it? And it looks like cover will be easier to get for TAGs, as any part of the model being obscured (by objects in BtB) means cover.

I finished painting my 7 Wildcats, the core of a lot of my army lists:

I am fairly happy with them but gently caress Infinity is hard to paint well. The helmet visors and some of the highlights were just so hard to do. I seethe with envy looking at things like that Ajax up the page there. On to the hellcats!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Very nice dude.

Yes top, ARM10 TAGs in cover can only be wounded/damaged by DMG13 weapons via crits. So 5% per attack.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Genghis Cohen posted:

I seethe with envy looking at things like that Ajax up the page there. On to the hellcats!

I agree. Sometimes I get inspired, other times I want to flip my painting table in disgust.

Nice nomads by the way!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm thinking of getting into Infinity, is there a preferred "starter" faction, or are all of the factions rounded enough to just go with what looks prettiest?

There's not an Infinity group at my LGS, so I was thinking of picking up two starter sets, maybe Yu Jing and Nomads, but I saw the new two player set with Nomads and PanOceania is coming out, so I'm thinking of just getting Yu Jing for now and picking up that starter set when it hits store shelves. Any flaws with this?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

I'm thinking of getting into Infinity, is there a preferred "starter" faction, or are all of the factions rounded enough to just go with what looks prettiest?

There's not an Infinity group at my LGS, so I was thinking of picking up two starter sets, maybe Yu Jing and Nomads, but I saw the new two player set with Nomads and PanOceania is coming out, so I'm thinking of just getting Yu Jing for now and picking up that starter set when it hits store shelves. Any flaws with this?
Everything is balanced enough to be competitive. Every time there's a commotion that some faction/unit/sectorial is poo poo someone who "doesn't know this" comes in and wins a major tournament with it :v: So go with whatever you like.

And nothing wrong with Yu Jing, I play it myself. Yu Jing suffers a bit in that its boxes tend to be scattered all over the place - both sectorial starters are very good but less so in a generic list (Celestials are AVA 2 in vanilla, JSA's Kempeitai don't have Chain of Command in vanilla), while the vanilla starter's line infantry has no sectorial at the moment. If you want to optimize, tell me what you want to play/which models you like and I'll suggest a slow-grow list and good first purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Every faction is competitive and very well balanced.

As much as I hate that line because everyone says it for their own game system, I think Infinity is far better than most other systems for faction balance.

• Locked thread