Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The unlockable characters will have even less health. iirc one starts with 1 heart and another is always stuck at a half heart and also instantly dies if you miss a beat. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

straight jerkers posted:

The unlockable characters will have even less health. iirc one starts with 1 heart and another is always stuck at a half heart and also instantly dies if you miss a beat. :lol:
The Wiki says this about the (current) unlockables:

quote:

Aria:
Cadence's grandmother. She can only use the dagger for a weapon and starts hardcore modus with 1/2 heart. She can not gain additional hearts. Missing a beat with Aria instantly kills her.

Bolt:
Bolt has access to all items and starts hardcore modus with a spear and 2 hearts. Bolt and all enemies move at double speed.
I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse :v:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Necrodancer's hardcore mode seems kind of BS. You start off with only two heart containers, so most of the dangerous enemies will one-shot you. Unless you get lucky and the first shop sells an extra heart container or some good armor, you'll die from a single mistake.

I too hate it when hard mode is hard.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

Someone never played an old Mummy Summoner apparently. :colbert:
Anyways if anyone wants a good laugh take a look at the Slash'Em extended page.
http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Slash%27EM_Extended
by laugh I mean nervous laugh as you slowly lose faith in humanity :negative:

That's a really long page and I'm both unfamiliar with Slash'Em and lazy, what am I supposed to lose faith in humanity for?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Tollymain posted:

That's a really long page and I'm both unfamiliar with Slash'Em and lazy, what am I supposed to lose faith in humanity for?

Moving over to the link that describes Extended's new roles, there's a lot of typical "lol pop culter!" characters (Jedi, Pokemon, Death Eaters), and then there's...

quote:

Transvestites excel at fighting with weapons that use the hammer skill. They should wear high heels at all times for extra speed; if they don't, they will be slow and have a hard time overall. Also, the attire charm technique may be used to turn any adjacent human or humanoid monster (except uniques, quest nemeses and shopkeepers, but including things like gnomes or orcs) into pets. The transvestite starts with a saddle and has increased chances of successfully mounting a steed.

quote:

Topmodels are relatively good fighters that start out with a rifle, but bullets may be hard to come by. They also get lots of great intrinsics at the start of the game, including flying, unbreathing, warning and more. Additionally, the Topmodel may use the attire charm technique to convert intelligent human(oid)s into pets. However, Topmodels are the slowest role of all, also all of their powers are lost if they take off or lose their high heels, and they need to follow the "anorexia conduct" or they will suffer from negative effects including, but not limited to, vomiting, food poisoning, stat point loss, negative alignment record and eventually being unable to pray safely. Topmodels also face some of the most obnoxious random monsters ever in their quest, and their nemesis commands armies of nasty monsters too.

:shepicide:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Wait someone added even more poo poo to Slash'em and decided it needed transphobia and misogyny too?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gorelab posted:

Wait someone added even more poo poo to Slash'em and decided it needed transphobia and misogyny too?

i generally don't expect much good to come from nethack offshoots

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I don't get why models get rifles, flying and unbreathing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh

yeah that's terrible

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Glidergun posted:

Moving over to the link that describes Extended's new roles, there's a lot of typical "lol pop culter!" characters (Jedi, Pokemon, Death Eaters), and then there's...

... um. ok then.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
transvestites also start with a little boy or a little girl as a pet that they can ride, eventually they grow up into young men and young women, etc

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

willus posted:

Crypt of the necrodancer crashes after the first load screen, and I'm already hooked by the music :( Anyone else run in to this?

Try deleting all of your custom music (clearing out the folder except for beatdown.exe), put in ONLY the 10 songs you want, run beatdown.exe without starting Necrodancer. That worked for me.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Glidergun posted:

Jedi Knight AND a pokemon? My Zorkmids :(

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The worst imbalance so far is necrodancer's soundtrack not being available on spotify, get to work danny b :colbert:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Space Bat posted:

Jedi Knight AND a pokemon? My Zorkmids :(

Yeah, Nethack always had a "lol pup culter!" element, it's just one of the things nerds do. I was mostly trying to distinguish "hey guys, let's be a Navi" from "hey guys, this dude has to wear high heels lol"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Glidergun posted:

Yeah, Nethack always had a "lol pup culter!" element, it's just one of the things nerds do. I was mostly trying to distinguish "hey guys, let's be a Navi" from "hey guys, this dude has to wear high heels lol"
SLASH'EM put in a lot more of that, though, and apparently Super Lotsa Added Stuff Hack, Extended Magic, Extended Edition thought that wasn't enough.

Also "model class that has to wear high heels" poo poo.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Glidergun posted:

Oh I know. I just thought the whole thing was absolutely ridiculous. The transvestite class was just icing on the cake.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Hey Necrodancer folks, how do you deal with Goblins when you only have a dagger? I hate taking the multiplier penalty for standing in place but I don't really see any other way to fight Goblins.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
Digging a wall can be used to pass a turn without missing a beat. If the goblin is the only thing that you're dealing with then you can just walk up as close as you can, turn away to get it following you and then dig a single wall to get it right next to you.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Necrodancer's hardcore mode seems kind of BS. You start off with only two heart containers, so most of the dangerous enemies will one-shot you. Unless you get lucky and the first shop sells an extra heart container or some good armor, you'll die from a single mistake.

It's not like they called it kind-of-hard mode.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Put together a list of the secret characters and what they do :3:

code:
Cadence, Bard, Bolt and Aria: described in-game

Melody:
	One Heart
	Dagger Only

Dorian:
	Leaping Boots - move two spaces (up+down makes next movement one space)
	Mining Helmet - move into walls you dig
	Ring of Courage - move into enemies you kill
	Two Hearts
	Normal Weapons
Eli:
	No Weapons
	Bomb Spell - not sure how to recharge since you can't kill dudes with weapons
			lucking out and finding bombs lying around?
			(can destroy walls in lobby)
	Two Hearts

Ghost:
	Ring of Phasing - move through walls
	Half a Heart
	Dies on Missed Beat

Pacifist:
	No Weapons
	Crystal Shovel - dig any wall (except shops/bedrock)
	Mining Helmet - move into walls you dig
	Stairs Automatically Unlocked
	Skip Boss Stages
	Two Hearts

Thief:
	Ring of Shadows - low sight, invisible to shopkeepers (can steal their items)
			sprites are pitch-black (traps indistinguishable, enemies have colored eyes)
	Two Hearts
	Normal Weapons

Mage: 
	??? not available yet
If you wanna unlock 'em, pop open \Crypt of the NecroDancer\data\save_data.xml, and inside of the <game tag put this after charUnlocked0="1":
charUnlocked1="1" charUnlocked2="1" charUnlocked3="1" charUnlocked4="1" charUnlocked5="1" charUnlocked6="1" charUnlocked7="1" charUnlocked8="1"

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 3, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looks like Bionic Dues is still getting updates now and then: clicky.
It's mostly balance fixes related to how bots are generated and how they level, which are spelled out in the link there, and something that makes graphics modding easier.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so Necrodancer is pretty goddamn hard if you plug death metal into it. I tried it with some Nile and Decapitation and gently caress this thing will go fast. Don't ever hit a tempo up button if you don't want to instantly die.

e: Honestly though if you're going to do custom music it's more fun to do stuff where the tempo changes a lot and you have to keep up or slow down. Hell, sometimes slowing down is harder than speeding up.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 6, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm slowly psyching myself up to try plugging Max 300 into NecroDancer. :v:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Necrodancer is one of the best games I've played all year. I'm up to Zone 3 and getting my poo poo wrecked by blue dragons and skeleton knights.

If you import music, does it just automatically pick up the beat of the song? How good of a job does it do?

e: Also, what are some really awesome songs to play to?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

ProfessorProf posted:

I've been using this as a stand in for one of the earlier levels. It's by the dude doing music for Dungeonmans, who makes a lot of killer beat driven music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzbbDu52uEs

One thing that makes using some other music difficult is that a typical song might go 5~15 seconds or so before it gets to the real beat, which makes for a weird opening experience in Necrodancer. Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4VlA_9OrI

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8frmCmkTE

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Anyone tried Road Not Taken? http://store.steampowered.com/app/293740/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Okay, I can finally make it to the third floor of Zone 3 vaguely reliably. And then I get annihilated, every goddamn time. There's too many enemies and nowhere near enough walls to get them stuck on, and if I don't get pinned then I almost categorically aggro the miniboss immediately, which is a bad idea when you don't have room to kite them. loving Blue Dragons.

How are you supposed to cope with this, short of either a) getting access to a superweapon (like a titanium broadsword or something) or b) getting lucky and finding trapdoors to let you skip the last two floors and go straight to the boss? I can handle the Zone 3 bosses, in training anyway. Getting past the vast open zones full of mooks with tricky AI rules is where I get tripped up.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
I like to head for the shop since its walls are indestructible (except to bombs) so enemies have no choice but to path through the one-tile-wide doorway. Otherwise, you can dig holes between rooms and kite dudes around walls and stuff. I personally stay way way way the gently caress away from Yetis and handle them last, pulling all the other monsters really far from them, just because their move-and-aoe-burst every fourth beat completely screws with my pattern perception.

Also, get a spear or longsword if you can over a broadsword - broadsword can prevent your mobility with an enemy on the diagonal, it's harder to keep track of enemy's health and patterns if you have to worry about three spaces instead of just one (especially in zone3 where slimes, hellhounds, yetis, dragon can hit you diagonally), and the spear/longsword gives you a free hit on every-beat enemies without having to worry about being surrounded.

If you use any spells or blood weaponry, remember that the little fire cauldrons (and mushrooms in zone 2) do count as enemies for the purposes of recharging. Fireball can be incredibly useful, clearing massive waves of enemies at once.

I think 3-3 introduces Gray Goblins, which are horribly nasty versions of Purple Goblins: they have two health instead of one, and deal three hearts instead of two. If you see one of these motherfuckers, you better have a plan (Titanium/Obsidian/Glass weapon, Glass armor, ranged weapon, Fireball.. perhaps bombs will work though I haven't tried) or they will gently caress you up real fast. You can't just pull them in towards you like regular goblins since they'll take two hits.

edit: Cleared Hardcore for the first time in 23 minutes thanks to some stupid bullshit luck timing on a Ring of Charisma spawn. Here's a video if you have nothing better to do with half an hour and want to watch me sucking.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 7, 2014

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I thought this would be a relatively chill game to play as an alternative to Nuclear Throne or Necrodancer but it is loving hard as balls. The base gameplay is pretty puzzle-y -- you lift objects up and then toss them where they'll travel as far as they can away from you (with a few exceptions). After being tossed, items combine with each other according to preset recipes that you discover. The object of each stage is to rescue children by unlocking doors and solving puzzle rooms. Moving objects around while holding them costs "life energy" which is persistent across stages -- you get a set amount (60?) life energy per stage, but unused energy rolls over. Your goal is to make it to retirement by clearing 15 stages (each stage representing a single year) but I've only ever gotten to stage 7 in a single run.

Part of it is that the puzzle element is hard. Combining objects is difficult, you bleed energy way too quickly if you aren't thinking things through, and the unlock requirements on doors eventually require you to move objects across multiple rooms which can be very difficult. Objects eventually have rear end in a top hat enemies that you have to plan around (gently caress hawks!), enemies that will kill kids if you don't beeline for them, or just be packed to the brim with objects that drain all your energy trying to move them around to clear a path.

You also build up relationships with townspeople, which grants you charms (items that change gameplay conditions, such as by increasing the number of parents in a stage, or increasing how much energy you get from food) or one time energy boost for the next mission.

It's much less a traditional RPG roguelike (with levelling, defeating monsters, and fighting) and more a hard-as-balls puzzle game where your poor decisions will haunt you for the rest of your run.

(You can also pay to revive at checkpoints but I don't find it that useful -- you lose all your items and charms when you revive, which means difficulty scales up much harder)

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
Everyone's favorite Finnish iron-age animal-skinning simulator, UnReal World, is now on Steam Greenlight. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249428292 Head on over and give it a vote to see it on Steam. Can a survival game without zombies make it on Steam?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Larz posted:

Can a survival game without zombies make it on Steam?

I always roleplay my character as a cannibal and my rites as blood sacrifices to eldritch gods. Close enough.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Larz posted:

Everyone's favorite Finnish iron-age animal-skinning simulator, UnReal World, is now on Steam Greenlight. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249428292 Head on over and give it a vote to see it on Steam. Can a survival game without zombies make it on Steam?

Well, took them long enough! Voted.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I played a few hours of Liberal Crime Squad yesterday, and it really hooked me. Gameplay is really non-traditional for a roguelike, but the cat and mouse game between your criminals and the police is a really fun dynamic. Eventually I was able to kidnap a conservative lawyer and judge by asking them on dates and kidnapping them there. My leader is now so charismatic that he can turn kidnapped conservatives into sleeper agents over half the time, and I'm only convicted about 1 in 5 times I'm arrested. I do lose all my followers when I get arrested though. I think I need to create a system of lieutenants so my leader doesn't get arrested for racketeering.

I've already gotten two game overs from trying to fight my way out of police raids. This run has lasted much longer by committing less serious crimes and surrendering during police raids. I'm 4 years in and the US is already much more liberal.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My favored strategy is to recruit liberal lawyers and go the disguise/stealth approach because they're already so charismatic. Bonus is that they're also amazingly good at defending themselves in court, especially when you have 3-4 sleeper liberal judges. If they do get life sentences, you just recruit another team of liberal lawyers and sneak into prison wearing guard uniforms that your liberal fashion designer put together.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

RoboCicero posted:

(gently caress hawks!)

I just want to second this. Eventually you gain the ability to ban things from appearing the in dungeons, after you collect a monster of that type. I've been desperately waiting to get a hawk, but alas no, so they continue to be the bane of my existence.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

Necrodancer is one of the best games I've played all year. I'm up to Zone 3 and getting my poo poo wrecked by blue dragons and skeleton knights.

If you import music, does it just automatically pick up the beat of the song? How good of a job does it do?

I used this gem from Hotline Miami: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xAM6mG6BWjw

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Skeewiff is my go-to for Necrodancer. I could probably do all Skeewiff if I wanted but I like to mix it up. I have 1-1 as Nitty Gritty because it starts a bit slow which is nice to warm up and then I follow it up with I Got Soul.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there any way to kill a wall mimic? I've tried luring them in front of bombs and no luck.

Edit: of course immediately after i post i realize you just have to hit them right after they move.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, all of the mimic enemies just need to be activated by moving next to them, then you move away and hit them once.