Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

paperchaseguy posted:

oops, you're right, it was closer to the higher figure to start.
Nice and convoluted numbers tho, so we can't really fault you too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Let's hope I can keep my credit card in my pocket for one more day...

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well that sure is a graph with a line going downwards. So the midyear bonus payout stretched to paying credit cards and Lasik?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
Yeah, along with a mildly frugal month on other spending.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
What is the remaining debt? That's just the 401k loan, right?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, $12,734 at 4.0% interest paid to myself (although I am losing the interest it would make in the market at the same time). I'll have to keep living under my salary and billing in the 130-150 range to build up enough bonus to pay it off in December.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Slow Motion posted:

Yeah, $12,734 at 4.0% interest paid to myself (although I am losing the interest it would make in the market at the same time). I'll have to keep living under my salary and billing in the 130-150 range to build up enough bonus to pay it off in December.

That seems like its really doable. If you could be debt-free a year after your divorce, I'm sure that would feel really great.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Is your employer still putting a match into your 401k while you're paying off the loan? If so that at least somewhat takes the sting out of the situation.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

mkay0 posted:

That seems like its really doable. If you could be debt-free a year after your divorce, I'm sure that would feel really great.

Hell yeah it would. Seeing zeros on all the CCs on Mint feels pretty great already.

Nail Rat posted:

Is your employer still putting a match into your 401k while you're paying off the loan? If so that at least somewhat takes the sting out of the situation.

Yeah, they do. I still contribute about $500 a month on top of the loan payoff and my employer matches half of that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hopefully you won't celebrate become debt free by getting into a bunch of debt. You'll need to keep going in the direction you're going and build a savings.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Turns out you don't have to be that smart if you make a good amount of money.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

three posted:

Making more money is a good thing to do and everyone should try and make more money.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

Making more money is a good thing to do and everyone should try and make more money.

Poor? In debt? Try money!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Typically you can make a bigger impact by making more money versus cutting, you can only cut so much in they end.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

three posted:

I think that's what Slow Motion is trying to teach everyone but we're just unwilling to listen being haters and all.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Slow Motion how long have you been at your current job level? How long does the average person spend at your job level?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Guys, to cure AIDS you just have to inject $180,000 into your bloodstream!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I thought you were renting at Harbor Steps :(

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

spwrozek posted:

Typically you can make a bigger impact by making more money versus cutting, you can only cut so much in they end.

Perhaps, but cutting is completely within your control, whereas making more money is less so

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, while technically true it's kind of a ridiculous way to go about it. Having a leprechaun give you a whole bunch of money would also be a quicker way to get out of debt over cutting costs, but that doesn't make it smart or realistic.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

nikosoft posted:

I thought you were renting at Harbor Steps :(
I was putting it around the Hawthorne Apartments because of the general relationship to the various buildings in that picture, but I haven't gone back and done a full triangulation with uncertainty analysis yet.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 31, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Slow Motion posted:

Hell yeah it would. Seeing zeros on all the CCs on Mint feels pretty great already.

Yeah, they do. I still contribute about $500 a month on top of the loan payoff and my employer matches half of that.

Congrats dude I didn't think you had it in you. :unsmith:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I was putting it around the Hawthorne Apartments because of the general relationship to the various buildings in that picture, but I haven't gone back and done a full triangulation with uncertainty analysis yet.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
MURIKA!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Slow Motion posted:

So when you 0 out the 401k loan you're gonna come party in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986 right?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

spwrozek posted:

well, if you are aiming to retire, cutting costs persists across retirement whereas making money by actively working at a job does not

still, no one here is making enough money so you all should make more money, myself included

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Some of you guys should give me money tia

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jeffrey posted:

well, if you are aiming to retire, cutting costs persists across retirement whereas making money by actively working at a job does not

still, no one here is making enough money so you all should make more money, myself included
It can, it's just a different form of retirement. You can retire from your real job but still bring in income by spending a fraction of a real job's time working as a consultant, freelancer, speaker, or _____ emeritus.

Or a Walmart greeter :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good work slow motion. Good luck on this august challenge you have. Saving is the key for you now since you need to pile up the money to pay off that 401k loan.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
If it's running around $13k right now and his payments are $258, it looks like it will be around for quite a while. At year end it will be around $11800, so he'll have to mirror the first half of the year to earn enough to pay it off at that time. He could actually budget an additional $250/mo, as he's no longer paying that towards credit cards, and save a bit more toward it to help get to that final payment at the end of the year.

It will therefore be paid off only when he receives a bonus payment exceeding the balance (probably by at least 15%, and maybe not until June 2015), or the periodic payments have run to term. I'd expect to see it rolled into another loan, in fact, but they may not appear soon enough for it to happen. I should like to think it will have been closed before he takes out $500k for a condo.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Bugamol posted:

Slow Motion how long have you been at your current job level? How long does the average person spend at your job level?

Important question being ignored here.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

He could actually budget
:lol:
You had me right until there.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Hey I went a whole day without spending any money!

My checking balance is lower than I would like it to be. But I just had to see them zeros.

The red bars above green on the earning vs. spending are a little troubling. My reasonable spending on non-LASIK items and my lack of regular LASIK purchasing makes me believe that it's not a trend.

So now the game changes. My 401k loan payments are fixed monthly. I can payoff the loan early, but only with a lump sum. So now it's all about saving till I can falcon punch that loan.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

grats on knocking out the cc debt, SloMo :toot:

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
SloMo has been the best at knocking out debt, despite being the most criticized.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

I'm thinking about how to play the rest of the year. Of the 12.7k I owe on the 401k loan 5.7k is "spoken for" by the after-tax deductions and the residual bonus accruals left to be paid out in December (assuming I don't bill under threshold).

That leaves about 7k to be paid through a combination of normal salary and bonus earnings. I feel very comfortable committing at least $300 a month from salary to savings to build up to paying it off. That's $1,500 which takes the amount needed from additional bonus to $5,500; an average of billing 136 hours a month.

I'll need to do better than that though as I'd like to shore up my checking account and get started on a liquid emergency fund.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Slomo has inspired me to move back to Seattle and be a baller too once I finish school.

Well not really...

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

He re-inspires me to never fully trust so-called professionals. I mean, he's an actuary and look at the way he thinks about numbers.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Slow Motion posted:

I'm thinking about how to play the rest of the year. Of the 12.7k I owe on the 401k loan 5.7k is "spoken for" by the after-tax deductions and the residual bonus accruals left to be paid out in December (assuming I don't bill under threshold).

That leaves about 7k to be paid through a combination of normal salary and bonus earnings. I feel very comfortable committing at least $300 a month from salary to savings to build up to paying it off. That's $1,500 which takes the amount needed from additional bonus to $5,500; an average of billing 136 hours a month.

I'll need to do better than that though as I'd like to shore up my checking account and get started on a liquid emergency fund.

You did well in cutting non-LASIK expenses when LASIK blew your budget.

LASIK blowing your budget for it is something I'm willing to say is largely out of your control because I doubt net costs are communicated about it very precisely or clearly a priori.

What I want to call attention to was that excluding LASIK, which I think is one of the few times you've called something an outlier that it justifiably can actually be called such, is that you were able to come in $200 under your budget of largely discretionary items.

Was your quality of life significantly worse in July?

Could you repeat this feat in August?

If you repeated it August to December, would that extra $1000 help you pay down your 401k?

(those playing along at home, the answer key is no, yes, yes)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

(those playing along at home, the answer key is no, yes, yes)

C'mon, spoilers dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

three posted:

SloMo has been the best at knocking out debt, despite due to being the most criticized.
ftfy

• Locked thread