Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dubs posted:

Fantomex/Deadpool/X-Force

I'm assuming you have read Remender's Uncanny X-Force? If not, get on that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I've read a bunch of it, but felt like I was jumping into the deep end a bit. Is there a better start point/origin for Fantomex? Doesn't worry me if it' lovely writing, or just suck it up and forget origin stuff and jump in?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dubs posted:

I've read a bunch of it, but felt like I was jumping into the deep end a bit. Is there a better start point/origin for Fantomex? Doesn't worry me if it' lovely writing, or just suck it up and forget origin stuff and jump in?

New X-men by Morrison.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
You can read Grant Morrison's New X-Men which starts in New X-Men 114. Fantomex was created in that run.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I've read some of it, i'll keep on it. I thought he came from a more recent X Men run.

Because there is like a billion of em.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
The current Deadpool run by Posehn and Duggan is pretty great and doesnt tie in to other stuff too much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The current artist is really bad, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dubs posted:

I've read some of it, i'll keep on it. I thought he came from a more recent X Men run.

Because there is like a billion of em.

I was deep deep into UXF before I had a grasp of Fantomex's deal and I've read New X-men a bunch of times. He's just kind of a murky character.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantomex is barely explained in NXM and his whole deal is that it's all a deception, anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also why does he constantly pour drinks on his head?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Also why does he constantly pour drinks on his head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl4plPGRG8o

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dubs posted:

Seems like a good page to ask about Danvers.

Where is a good point to start reading ms/cap Marvel? Has there been a decent recentish(90s+) reboot of her char? And the same question for stories with .. Black Panther, Ant-man, Fantomex/Deadpool/X-Force? Does Avengers itself ever cover things like this?

For Ant-Man, Matt Fraction's recent FF series stars the Scott Lang Ant-Man. Note though that the book's name is literally "FF", I'm not just shortening Fantastic Four.

For Hank Pym Ant-Man, there was a recent series called Avengers AI that I liked but nobody else did where he led a team of robot Avengers plus a reprogrammed Doombot.

Eric O'Grady Ant-Man... died in Rick Remender's Secret Avengers. It was a heroic death though! ...but he still dead :smith:.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dubs posted:

Seems like a good page to ask about Danvers.

Where is a good point to start reading ms/cap Marvel? Has there been a decent recentish(90s+) reboot of her char? And the same question for stories with .. Black Panther, Ant-man, Fantomex/Deadpool/X-Force? Does Avengers itself ever cover things like this?

I haven't read many comics at all but got a marvel sub recently (and read heaps of marvel cosmic), and I know its completely irrational (because i was never going to read them anyway) but it annoys me when I pick up an arc for a character and it spoils other events and stuff. I had no plans to read it, but I read the first few pages of 2008 Avengers recently (to see why its so disliked) and that book straight up starts with HERE IS A LIST OF DEAD PEOPLE FROM AVENGERS AND X-MEN AND poo poo. I know what happens in most of the big events through the timeline but it ruins going back past that time and knowing what happens to who.

Should I just start reading Avengers from disassembled on? or something? Can I jump into these kinds of characters without having read avengers at all?

I have no real interest in reading civil war/or the big X-men culling event and Richard Rider Nova is my favourite comic by far if that helps. This question got long. I apologize.

TL;DR - I have run out of cosmic to read and am now stuck on earth. I have no real interest in Captain America/ Ironman/ Spiderman/ Thor/ Wolverine/ FF.

What should I jump into that isn't in the middle of a big arc containing crossover poo poo?, like everything i have picked up so far seems to be?

This is a little confusing, since they just relaunched Captain Marvel, but the second most recent Captain Marvel #1 is a great jumping off point (no one was buying the book, so they made a new #1) here's a link to the trade. They most recent Captain Marvel #1 isn't a bad place to start either.

I liked Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel relaunch from about 8 years ago, but that seems to be out of print, and it does pretty quickly get bogged down in event books (The 123 punch of civil war, secret invasion and dark reign hosed up a lot of the b list books)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Thanks for the answers everyone. Any good black panther booksa round?

Skwirl posted:

does pretty quickly get bogged down in event books (The 123 punch of civil war, secret invasion and dark reign hosed up a lot of the b list books)

Heh, This is actually a really good way describing what i was trying to say!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dubs posted:

At the moment? Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Dubs posted:

Christopher Priest's run is great, but I don't think it was collected well. It might be on Marvel Unlimited otherwise you might need to go back issue diving.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shawn posted:

Christopher Priest's run is great, but I don't think it was collected well. It might be on Marvel Unlimited otherwise you might need to go back issue diving.

All on Marvel Unlimited, well worth delving into. Don't think it's ever been reprinted so get it while you can.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Thanks so much for recommending Fraction's Hawkeye. I was sharing Kate Bishop private eye panels with friends they were so great. Is there other stuff as utterly charming as this series? Marvel preferred because I have Unlimited, but I'll branch out to find quality.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not sure what's on Unlimited, but take a look at Superior Foes of Spider-Man, the Kieron Gillen / Jamie McKelvie Young Avengers, and (maybe) Runaways.

Definitely read Immortal Iron Fist from the same creative team as Hawkeye.

If you want to branch out, Rat Queens from Image.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bandette from Monkeybrain is charming as gently caress. Not on Marvel Unlimited, but it's only a buck for a full sized issue.

https://www.comixology.com/Bandette/comics-series/8519

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Apologies if I missed this being covered earlier. I know next to nothing about Cosmic Marvel - is there anything I absolutely must read before going to see Guardians of the Galaxy, other than the 2008 series?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Uthor posted:

Not sure what's on Unlimited, but take a look at Superior Foes of Spider-Man, the Kieron Gillen / Jamie McKelvie Young Avengers, and (maybe) Runaways.

Definitely read Immortal Iron Fist from the same creative team as Hawkeye.

If you want to branch out, Rat Queens from Image.

Haha, Hawkeye was suggested to me because I enjoyed Superior Foes so much. Been reading a bit of Immortal Iron Fist and it ain't doing it the same way for me but it's not bad. A few folks have mentioned Runaways, so I'll have to check that. Thanks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lamont posted:

Apologies if I missed this being covered earlier. I know next to nothing about Cosmic Marvel - is there anything I absolutely must read before going to see Guardians of the Galaxy, other than the 2008 series?

The two Annihilation events lead up to the series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation_%28comics%29

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lamont posted:

I wouldn't call it necessary in the sense that you have to read it to understand either the movie or the rest of the series, but I dug pretty much all of the cosmic marvel in the this chart. Annihilation: Conquest provides some context for how the team formed though, so I'd definitely read that before diving into the series.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Skwirl posted:

I wouldn't call it necessary in the sense that you have to read it to understand either the movie or the rest of the series, but I dug pretty much all of the cosmic marvel in the this chart. Annihilation: Conquest provides some context for how the team formed though, so I'd definitely read that before diving into the series.

Thanks for that, looks useful. I won't have time to plow through everything before the movie, but other internet research suggests that Annihilation COnquest: Starlord, the 2008 series and Thanos Imperative ought to cover the bare minimum.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Have they said whether or not they'll reprint/omnibusify Annihilation: Conquest anytime soon? I know it's available digitally, but I kind of want that whole goddamn saga in print and the first volume is stupidly expensive.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just start reading after the movie so you don't have to cram.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I want to check out Grant Morrison's DC stuff because it seems like it is coming to a head with Multiversity. Is there a good way to do it on the cheap? What can I skip? Looking at the list it seems like hundreds of dollars, with all the JLAs, Batmans, Supermans...

Also. Never been a DC guy but I like Morrison. Doom Patrol, Animal Man and All Star Superman are some of my favorites.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd do Seven Soldiers into Final Crisis (especially FC:Superman Beyond) into Action Comics (specifically #9).

Seven Soldiers is structured very similarly to Multiversity with opening and closing chapters and individual comics in between that meet at the end (though in this case they're seven four issue miniseries)

A small part of that sets up the Darkseid situation in Final Crisis. There's a tie-in to Final Crisis called Superman Beyond (included in the collection), which is all about Multiverse Bleed Space, Monitors and Limbo which are present in the Multiversity map, as well as Superman working with a pile of alternate world Supermen. At the end of Final Crisis we meet the black president Superman of Earth 23 who's on Multiversity #1's cover.

Action Comics #9 stars Black President Superman in a fairly stand alone issue.

It's hard to say what's most crucial. Seven Soldiers has the whole mini/maxi compartmentalized thing going on, and all of the miniseries tell their own fun stories, but it's thirty issues or two trades worth. Superman Beyond has all of the multiverse toys he's likely to play with, but compressed into two issues it's some crazy, heady stuff.

There'll probably be a huge GMo comixology sale the week of Multiversity #1.

e: If you haven't, reading Watchmen and looking up the circumstances of it's creation on Wikipedia should give some appreciation of one of the Multiversity issue that's going to be a tribute.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 2, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's a TPB out with some of Moore's best DC work, I would recommend it

http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-Stories-Alan-Moore/dp/1401209270/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406980524&sr=8-1&keywords=Alan+Moore+DC

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anything to support my favorite writer financially!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Anything to support my favorite ORIGINAL WRITER financially!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Lamont posted:

No, there isn't anything you have to read before seeing the film, that would be a really terrible film if that was the case. I've literally never read a GOTG comic except the FCBD one this year (and that was barely even a GOTG comic).

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
So if you were brand new to comics and wanted something that features awesome female characters who are more than just T&A, would you go for... Buffy? X-Men? Something else?

Full disclosure, I've read the Sandman graphic novels but other than that I am a comic newb and a little overwhelmed by everything out there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ms. Marvel. The new series, not any of the old ones.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Batwoman too.

Maybe the Brian Wood X-Men series, but it's not very good, and I doubt it'll get any better with Guggenheim taking over.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The new Batgirl starting in October should be good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Captain Marvel is good. I prefer the first volume when she's on Earth and rather than her current space foray with the Guardians of the Galaxy but its still a pretty good read.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

frenchnewwave posted:

So if you were brand new to comics and wanted something that features awesome female characters who are more than just T&A, would you go for... Buffy? X-Men? Something else?

What kind of comics do you want to read?

Superheroes: Young Avengers

Fantasy Westerns: Pretty Deadly

Sci-Fi Fantasy: Saga

Fantasy Comedy: Rat Queens

Detective stories: Stumptown

Sex and Crimes: Sex Criminals

EDIT:
Ultra violent superhero action: Glory

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Don't let the name or premise of Sex Criminals turn you off, it's not smutty and is really funny and touching and just an all around great book.