Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Don't really get the love for Psycho Pass here. I thought it was pretty good but I don't think it had a deeper exploration of themes than GITS and its main conceit reminded me of a rejected manga idea in Bakuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a good dub that basically is, or based on, a Journey to the West. My only stipulation is that it can't be DBZ.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Psycho-Pass isn't exactly deep but it's engaging and satisfying if you're looking for pulpy nonsense. This puts it way ahead of most shows.

But yea, the people making Masaaki Yuasa recommendations are the most right, as Ping Pong and The Tatami Galaxy are right up there with the best. However, it's really apples and oranges to compare a densely packed, artistically daring show with a long running space opera and a genre work.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wark Say posted:

From the New World was better than Madoka. Off the top of my head (along with what was mentioned above already), so are My Bride is a Mermaid, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Nichibros, Nichijou, Utena, The Tatami Galaxy, Nodame Cantabile, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, G Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex, Penguin Drum and probably a lot more.

Madoka is NOT a bad show (the fact that it's also 12 episodes long makes it pretty easy to rewatch, too); it's pretty similar to Evangelion in that, while a pivotal and fairly influential show, it can get kinda dour, entertainment-wise.

fake edit: It did make Aoi Yuuki fairly well known, though. And she seems to be a fairly funky VA.

You mention G Gundam but not Giant Robo and Shin Mazinger too? For shame.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Chas McGill posted:

Don't really get the love for Psycho Pass here. I thought it was pretty good but I don't think it had a deeper exploration of themes than GITS and its main conceit reminded me of a rejected manga idea in Bakuman.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought Psycho Pass felt really impressed with itself for how clever it thought it was. Then again I had the same problem with Madoka, so I guess I'm just not the target audience or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Psycho-Pass actually is pretty clever, but the reasons aren't even close to the reasons it thinks it's clever. I love that in a show, though.

edit: That is to say, as a black comedy about the nature of power and authority, specifically structured as a series of jokes (each complete with setup and punchline) it's hilarious. As a serious show about morality/criminality/the human mind it's total fluff, but the secret to enjoying Psycho-Pass is to realize that that isn't the real show in the first place.

There's a scene in Psycho-Pass where a prominent politician hunts down and murders a teenage serial killer so he can smoke a pipe made from her bones. He says this "makes him feel young again." The point is politicians and serial killers are made from the same stuff, he's just learned to settle down and take life more slowly than she did.

That, to me, is what the show is actually about, even though that scene (and others like it) pass almost uncommented-upon while the dumb sci-fi plot is busy ostentatiously namedropping Western authors and going "LOOK HOW SMART I AM."

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 27, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I always describe is as the themes of GitS with the premise of Minority Report, mashed together as an engaging detective thriller. I really like the show, but I still wouldn't put it above either Fate/Zero or Madoka.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Psycho-Pass actually is pretty clever, but the reasons aren't even close to the reasons it thinks it's clever. I love that in a show, though.

edit: That is to say, as a black comedy about the nature of power and authority, specifically structured as a series of jokes (each complete with setup and punchline) it's hilarious. As a serious show about morality/criminality/the human mind it's total fluff, but the secret to enjoying Psycho-Pass is to realize that that isn't the real show in the first place.

I've heard it described this way before and I still do not understand it at all. I need to watch this show again, and I really don't have an excuse with the "remastered" version running now.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That, to me, is what the show is actually about, even though that scene (and others like it) pass almost uncommented-upon while the dumb sci-fi plot is busy ostentatiously namedropping Western authors and going "LOOK HOW SMART I AM."

See, that kind of thing is still in there with the "the show thinks this is super-clever but it isn't that clever" for me. I don't know, just about everything that happened from the word 'go' felt like the show was smugly patting itself on the back for every little thing. It had a few cute moments, and there was some stuff I liked, there was just a lot more I didn't. I'm kind of looking forward to a second season that explores different things, with different writers at the helm.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a good dub that basically is, or based on, a Journey to the West. My only stipulation is that it can't be DBZ.

Well, it's not an anime, but I have heard good things about Monkey Magic.

Or at least its intro.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The dub for Monkey is not be any stretch of the word 'good' but is it laugh out loud atrociously bad and the script knows it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a scene in Psycho-Pass where a prominent politician hunts down and murders a teenage serial killer so he can smoke a pipe made from her bones. He says this "makes him feel young again." The point is politicians and serial killers are made from the same stuff, he's just learned to settle down and take life more slowly than she did.

That's a good analysis, but I'm pretty sure that dude isn't a politician. I could be wrong though. I'm phone posting and it would be a pain to try and find the exact info.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Which was really surprising, considering Kenji Kamiyama wasn't even involved :v:. Incidentally, if you ever want to see what would happen if he was given complete free reign to direct something and watch a man plunge deeper into the darkest depths of his own pseudo-intellectual rear end with every passing moment of screentime, go watch 009 RE:CYBORG*.

*Do not go watch 009 RE:CYBORG. Trust me on this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which was really surprising, considering Kenji Kamiyama wasn't even involved :v:. Incidentally, if you ever want to see what would happen if he was given complete free reign to direct something and watch a man plunge deeper into the darkest depths of his own pseudo-intellectual rear end with every passing moment of screentime, go watch 009 RE:CYBORG*.

*Do not go watch 009 RE:CYBORG. Trust me on this.

It sounds like he wanted to do what Mamoru Oshii was planning with Cyborg 009.

Sadly, if you're not Oshii and you try to make an Oshii-esque movie, the chances of it backfiring on you are really high!

There are some cool sequences in it but as a whole it's iffy at best.

Definitely something that's can't be recommended since it doesn't even qualify as an interesting failure.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 27, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

That's a good analysis, but I'm pretty sure that dude isn't a politician. I could be wrong though. I'm phone posting and it would be a pain to try and find the exact info.

You might be right. The only reference I can find on the wiki is to him being the CEO of a construction company and a public advocate for cyborghood. Kinda diminishes the impact if he's just wealthy and not also a legitimate authority, though; I could've sworn in the interview scene he's introduced as running for public office.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I finally got a Crunchyroll membership, so what are some good animes available on crunchyroll?

Also I know I asked for recommendations like two weeks ago or so, so to follow up on that I'll mention that I watched Zetsuen no Tempest and thought it was good, if not exceptional, and I've watched the first episode of Giant Robo which is exceptionally pretty in HD.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here's a good start: Humanity Has Declined, House of Five Leaves, The Rose of Versailles, Kyousougiga, Chihayafuru, Tsuritama.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Here's a good start: Humanity Has Declined, House of Five Leaves, The Rose of Versailles, Kyousougiga, Chihayafuru, Tsuritama.

Seconding Humanity Has Declined. Also From the New World, Madoka Magica, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero, Girls und Panzer, Hunter X Hunter (warning: long), Little Witch Academia, and Watamote. That should keep you busy for a while.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kyousougiga is so drat good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

Seconding Humanity Has Declined. Also From the New World, Madoka Magica, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero, Girls und Panzer, Hunter X Hunter (warning: long), Little Witch Academia, and Watamote. That should keep you busy for a while.

Hunter X Hunter is long but if you've ever been curious about those zillion episode boys action manga adaptions like Naruto or One Piece it's the one to watch. Fantastic adaptation that's faithful to the original while improving it in some great ways. Silly, violent, but satisfying with deeply likable characters. Goes to some wildly creative places.

A lot of the same goes for JoJo, although Jojo has really tight part two that starts in episode 10.

Little Witch Academia is a half hour long standalone thing that I forgot you can watch on Crunchyroll. Go watch that now!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Kyousougiga

Can someone explain how to go about watching this? I got curious and went to the wikipedia page, and saw that there are:

• A stand-alone December 2011 ONA
  • 5 episodes that aired monthly between August and December 2012
  • 13 episodes that aired on TV

Should I watch them in that order, or is there anything extra I should know?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just watch the 13 episode series, it combines all that other stuff into itself.

edit:
Forgot the thread hadn't hit archives yet, I'll just pull this from the OP.

straight jerkers posted:

:siren: Do I need to watch the ONAs before starting this series? :siren:

No. The first episode of this 2013 TV series (episode 00) is actually a rebroadcast of the first ONA in HD with a new OP, ED, and soundtrack. You certainly could go back and watch the other five short episodes if you wanted to but it's pretty likely that you'll pick up their contents over the course of this series.

e: This has turned out to be true. !!!You do not need to watch the old ONAs at all!!! Start at episode 0 of this season, continue forward from there.

So I watched the first episode and

That's normal, don't worry about it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd even say you can skip episode 0 at first and come back to it later. In any case, keep watching even if episode 0 confused the hell out of you.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
The material in Episode 0 is basically covered by the series eventually, there's no real reason to watch it unless you want to see a slightly different take on things. Just 1-10 of the TV Anime is more than good enough on its own.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WYA posted:

Does anime get better than LOTGH and Madoka?

I would say that Tatami Galaxy, taken as a whole (looking at the art, music, etc), is better then LotGH. It's just an incredibly solid work and easily the best anime I've ever seen. Other series, while really good, generally have at least some tropes or pacing issues, even if they're minor.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hunter X Hunter is long but if you've ever been curious about those zillion episode boys action manga adaptions like Naruto or One Piece it's the one to watch. Fantastic adaptation that's faithful to the original while improving it in some great ways. Silly, violent, but satisfying with deeply likable characters. Goes to some wildly creative places.

And yeah, I'd say that Hunter X Hunter is the best shounen series I've ever seen/read.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 29, 2014

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I've always been kind of interested in checking out Armored Trooper Votoms, but there's a not insignificant amount of content out there. Which are worth watching?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The TV series.

To expand on that, some of the OVAs are worth watching, yes, but they're all standalone, and most of them do some very silly things that would be hard to explain without spoiling the show to you, so you kinda just have to take my word as a big VOTOMS fan on it? Some of them are worth watching on their own merits, like animation, battles, and such. But if you start with the TV series, that's enough content for you to check out, find out what you like about the show, and can go from there. The main OVAs that I will straight out recommend are Big Battle (basically an extra episode, but best watched after finishing the show) and The Last Red Shoulder (see previous). Armor Hunter Merrowlink is completely standalone and features none of the show's cast, but is formulaic and repetitive, but fun.
I haven't seen Case:Irvine, but I think it's a whole new setting.

muike fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 31, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watch the TV series first, and then go in production order for the OVAs.

For more words about the OVAs, I feel like most of them are worth watching. The 1 episode OVAs for sure since they're not bad and at most you're only out like 30-40 minutes if you don't like them (though I have a hard time picturing someone making it through the tv show and not getting any enjoyment out of those).

Mellow/Merrow/Merlow??link is a fun revenge story. I can't think of anything else like it, where the main character regularly defeats mechs while on foot. Neat stuff.

Shining Heresy is a weird one and some people love it and some hate it. It's a sequel to the tv series though so if you like the show you should check it out (and if you watch through that make sure to watch Alone Again because it's a nice epilogue to that).

Pailsen Files is decent. Has some nice action and it's fun to see more Chirico. At the first least the first episode alone is worth watching since they have something akin to the Normandy landing, but with mechs. It's a prequel that doesn't poo poo the bed so hey, that's good.

Case;Irvine and Votoms Finder are not worth your time. Irvine feels more like a Code Geass OVA but it's not quite Geass-esque enough, and Votoms Finder feels like an unaired pilot for something they attached the Votoms name to. They're both standalone but I can't recommend them at all.

Phantom Arc is horseshit that starts off okay but then it makes some amazingly dumb choices and by the end of it all you wonder what the loving point was.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

If you could recommend me some "WOAH THATS EDGY!"* anime that has an English dub I'd appreciate it.

*I dunno what the genre actually is, I guess dark action?

Titles I liked: Btooom, Future Diary, Hellsing, Darker than Black, Death Note

Neutral Towards: Highschool of the Dead

Didn't like: Gantz

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 1, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KildarX posted:

If you could recommend me some "WOAH THATS EDGY!"* anime that has an English dub I'd appreciate it.

Try Psycho-Pass.

Edit: Seconding Fate/Zero too.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 1, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

KildarX posted:

Black Lagoon, Fate/Zero, and Psycho-Pass definitely. Higurashi maybe, though that is more mystery/thriller.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm interested in watching some anime (or reading some manga) featuring LGBT characters which are treated somewhat realistically. By this I mean no "Oh those silly gays" situations, but no "everyone's gay and life is absolutely trouble-free for them" either.

I'm not picky, the show doesn't have to be about the characters being LGBT.

I've already watched/read Aoi Hana and Hourou Musuko, and also I've read Kinou Nani Tabeta (which features gay main characters). Anything else you recommend?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mikl posted:

I'm interested in watching some anime (or reading some manga) featuring LGBT characters which are treated somewhat realistically. By this I mean no "Oh those silly gays" situations, but no "everyone's gay and life is absolutely trouble-free for them" either.

I've already watched/read Aoi Hana and Hourou Musuko, and also I've read Kinou Nani Tabeta (which features gay main characters). Anything else you recommend?

I haven't read much of it myself, but I've heard good things about Collectors.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mikl posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates, surprisingly. Also From the New World, sort of (it provoked some hilarious fanboy outrage for daring to depict male and female homosexuality in the same show).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

KildarX posted:

Elfen lied.

Brynhildr also, though it doesn't have a dub yet.

(Both are by the same studio and mangaka. The elfen lied manga gets pretty bad compared to the anime, while the manga version of brynhildr is better than the anime.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silver2195 posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates, surprisingly. Also From the New World, sort of (it provoked some hilarious fanboy outrage for daring to depict male and female homosexuality in the same show).

I'd probably avoid From the New World if that's what you're after because it doubles down on the 'homosexuality is just adolescent crushes that you grow out of' thing. There's not much anime wise (though you could try Sasameki Koto I guess, it's pretty good but hardly realistic), but in manga there's Honey x Honey, Indigo Blue (and pretty much anything by the same author), Octave and Claudine, be warned though the last is incredibly depressing as per Riyoko Ikeda's usual fashion.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 1, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd probably avoid From the New World if that's what you're after because it doubles down on the 'homosexuality is just adolescent crushes that you grow out of' thing.

I should definitely have clarified what I meant by "sort of" there (although it's more complicated than that).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 1, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thanks for the recommendations, guys :)
I've already read Collectors, but I'll check out the other series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mikl posted:

A bit late, but Madoka is pretty good and about a lesbian romance, though it takes awhile for it to really come up. It is, however, especially prominent in the movie.

KildarX posted:

Berserk, Claymore, Attack on Titan, and Akame ga Kill wait that last one doesn't have a dub, forget that one.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 2, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna also recommend Claymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm looking for a show with a talking cat who is a huge jerk.

I've seen Darker Than Black, Nichijou, and Natsume Yujin-cho. Don't suggest Nyan Koi.

• Locked thread