Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

This is great, but what would make it even better is different grunts for all the different sounds. There's a lot of source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Oh lord, I shat that thing out as a joke. I didn't expect people would actually play it. :stare:

e: Well gently caress it while the subject's up I might as well drop this here http://puu.sh/azvIJ/e023809623.ogg

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 1, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Segmentation Fault posted:

This is great, but what would make it even better is different grunts for all the different sounds. There's a lot of source material.

I don't think a man can watch that entire video without going insane. I watched for what felt like an eternity and I looked down and less than a minute had gone by.

TerminusEst13 posted:

e: Well gently caress it while the subject's up I might as well drop this here http://puu.sh/azvIJ/e023809623.ogg

:vince:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 1, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't think a man can watch that entire video without going insane. I watched for what felt like an eternity and I looked down and less than a minute had gone by.

I did it.

Longer than you think, Dad! Longer than you think!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Every sound replaced with the same sample gets old fast.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh my god

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

TerminusEst13 posted:

The world of Doom can only now truly call itself Hell on Earth

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

TerminusEst13 posted:

:wtc:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

It doesn't want to remember certain things. r_waterquality and r_lerpmodels weren't remembered, but the filter mode and scr_conwidth and such were.

(I use GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST)

Yeah, some cvars are saved, some aren't. It's an artifact of the original Quake design... you'll find it to a greater or lesser degree in all non-QuakeWorld engines.

Like a guy above said, autoexec.cfg is your friend.

Or if you want to be absolutely certain/paranoid: put those settings in another file in id1, say "mysettings.cfg", and always launch QuakeSpasm with a command line that explicitly executes that file, e.g. "+exec mysettings.cfg". That way even if a mod comes with its own autoexec.cfg (which it shouldn't, but some still do) you'll still get your desired settings.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 1, 2014

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

This is great, but what would make it even better is different grunts for all the different sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnPl0repskM

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The disinterested “swoosh” really sells it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks for all your guys' assistance with Quake stuff. Quakespasm IS a rather nice port, I just wish it had some of the gorgeous things Engoo does.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Tippis posted:

The disinterested “swoosh” really sells it.

I also quite like "Click" and "Teleporting Sound". Fantastic stuff.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Death of Rats posted:

I also quite like "Click" and "Teleporting Sound". Fantastic stuff.

Look through some of his other stuff — I find the really low-quality HL2 video particularly funny for some reason. :haw:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Surprisingly accurate, playable, and bizarrely higher fidelity than the original sounds.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

I dunno man that stuff is handled natively by alot of the programs kids end up using like Zbrush and then texture tools like Ddo (which is now free) can make good base textures you can screw around with in no time.

Like, a good character can take a month, a simple gun a week, so on and so forth. taking a cursory glance at Polycount (one of the main hubs for modellers for games that STARTED with Quake 2 and UT modding) shows that even a typical 16 year old can figure out hard surface modelling and churn out AK-47s and combat knives to their heart's content. That's the same thing that was happening back then too! (why is that still a thing?! Why only those two things???)

So while yes, it is TECHNICALLY easier to make content for old games because the fidelity was lower, even back then it was hard to match what the big guys were doing with the limited tools we had. The only real bad spot was the point of UT3's release where the tools were simply not that great for the level of quality needed to make something look good. That was the biggest mess ever!

Even if I take what you said at face value, a good character can take a month? Do you know how much you can do in a 2.5D engine in a month if you're dedicated? You could make 30 Wolfenstein maps in a month.

Besides, even if hard surface modeling might be relatively easy, a game is not a pile of guns and knives, there's level design and writing and programming and audio design and voice acting and testing and debugging (massively harder in today's more complex engines, and you have more bugs to fix), and all sorts of poo poo that piles on way too many man-hours for an amateur or a small group of amateurs to even contemplate making quality single-player content.

Also character modeling is in an entirely different universe from mechanical modeling and I suspect that most people's attempts are going to be as awful as the "enhanced" Alyx models in FakeFactory's Cinematic mod.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 1, 2014

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
New arena FPS called Toxikk is coming out. The trailer is below. Hoping that this, combined with UT2015 and CliffyB's new game, revives the arena FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28oQvaL7Mg

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 1, 2014

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
That looks more like Tribes without jetpacks than an actual arena fps.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The weapons are also either super generic or straight stolen from Unreal.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
All I see is trying to re-release UT2k3 in that video... which is hardly the "roots" of the "arena fps" (which I guess means any FPS that isn't set in the real world, past or present?).

I think mutators are one of the big reasons these types of games die almost immediately. Everyone ends up doing low gravity, insta-gib railgun/sniper-rifle and if that isn't your thing you drop the game in 3 hours or less.

Doctor Shapes
Mar 17, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive.

Commander Keenan posted:

New arena FPS called Toxikk is coming out. The trailer is below. Hoping that this, combined with UT2015 and CliffyB's new game, revives the arena FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28oQvaL7Mg

It's weird that they advertise "frag like it's 1999" when it's really a ut2k4 clone. edit: That makes me more interested really.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Essobie posted:

(which I guess means any FPS that isn't set in the real world, past or present?).

I always understood that it referred to FPSes that focus on multiplayer and have no campaign or attempt at storytelling, which would mean it started with Quake 3 Arena.

vvvvvvvvv It didn't have "arena" in its name though :v:

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 1, 2014

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

I always understood that it referred to FPSes that focus on multiplayer and have no campaign or attempt at storytelling, which would mean it started with Quake 3 Arena.

Um, UT was a few days before Q3A.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Also, I guess they were trying to go for some sort of warm nostalgia in that trailer, but they kind of come across as annoyingly smug.

:smuggo:Yeah, we're not going to have stuff like regenerating health, man, because that's for scrubs. No, we couldn't even make it optional if we wanted to. You know what we do have? Memorable weapons. Can't you already see how memorable they are? And we definitely won't do free to play, because that's new poo poo that nobody likes, right? Could you imagine if classic games like Quake or Team Fortress were ftp? No, Quake Live and Team Fortress 2, go away!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

Um, UT was a few days before Q3A.

…but it had a campaign and an obvious (nanometer-thin) attempt at storytelling, so it's obviously disqualified. :colbert:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
func_mapjam #2 is out: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61061

quote:

The second Map Jam pack is released! The theme for this pack was the ikwhite/ikblue texture set by Iikka Keränen, and we have 8 great maps to show for it!

Authors: cocerello, ericw/fifth, lunaran, mfx, scampie, skacky, sock, tronyn

Teaser image below. I guess I'll timg it to avoid table-breaking, but if you have Quake you should click on it and see the big version for sure.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Tippis posted:

…but it had a campaign and an obvious (nanometer-thin) attempt at storytelling, so it's obviously disqualified. :colbert:
I dunno man, I never touched UT single player, but I did do the Q3 bot ladder thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Law posted:

Teaser image below. I guess I'll timg it to avoid table-breaking, but if you have Quake you should click on it and see the big version for sure.

:stonk: That's in QUAKE?

What the fuuuuuck. Seriously those are half-life quality maps.
I guess goldsrc was based on quake 2 and not far from quake 1 but :drat:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

What the fuuuuuck. Seriously those are half-life quality maps.
I guess goldsrc was based on quake 2 and not far from quake 1 but :drat:

Goldsrc is based on Quake 1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AugmentedVision posted:

Goldsrc is based on Quake 1.

Oh yeah? Well I think I heard they had some of the quake 2 optimizations included too? Or maybe they ended up doing those same improvements to the Quake 1 engine independently of Id. :shrug: Its been awhile since I talked serious goldsrc.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zaphod42 posted:

one big reason those look nicer is because the algorithms used to generate the lightmaps are much more advanced than the ones Quake used, which didn't even have any radiosity calculations IIRC.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm looking for this Duke 3D map I had on an old 5000 MAPS IN ONE CD I had ages ago. It took place on a space station. You could open an airlock in the starting room and kill yourself. It was enormous so it had a subway train that took you between map areas. In the center was a park that had an aquarium named The Living Seas. It was bugged and if you got too close to the water a shark would bite you. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Luigi Thirty posted:

In the center was a park that had an aquarium named The Living Seas.
That sounds like it's nicked from the godawful Smithsonian level in Duke It Out In DC.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Prenton posted:

That sounds like it's nicked from the godawful Smithsonian level in Duke It Out In DC.

Man, gently caress that level. I was playing it co-op with my cousins and we got so goddamned lost. :mad:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Tippis posted:

UT's campaign was perfect. It's a tour through the maps with an increasingly difficult set of bots, with the story "You're in a tournament where you shoot each other's faces off. Go shoot the other guy's face.".

UT2k4 expanded on that with team management features, which was pretty darn fun. A hybrid of arena shooter and sports game almost, and it worked.

UT3... we don't talk about UT3's campaign.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm looking for this Duke 3D map I had on an old 5000 MAPS IN ONE CD I had ages ago. It took place on a space station. You could open an airlock in the starting room and kill yourself. It was enormous so it had a subway train that took you between map areas. In the center was a park that had an aquarium named The Living Seas. It was bugged and if you got too close to the water a shark would bite you. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Hmm...maybe try looking for BETA one by Robert Travis? It sounds fairly close to what you're describing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Prenton posted:

I liked the idea behind it. With a better map-maker behind the wheel that knows how to guide the player along instead of throwing them into a huge-rear end map with no attempts at showing them what is where, it could be really good

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Johnny Law posted:

These are really pretty, but not good introductory maps to Quake, as I just found out.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I haven't tried them myself yet, but Cocorello's map is apparently unusually hard. Occupational hazard when cranking something out quickly I guess. If that's the one that is causing you troubles you might want to skip ahead. (Or just turn down the difficulty or enable godmode, yada yada.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jblade posted:

Hmm...maybe try looking for BETA one by Robert Travis? It sounds fairly close to what you're describing.

That's it. Looks like he made a sequel (Beta Two!) as well.