Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't help but be reminded of MinoMonsters. All presentation, no gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

80 Days has been really fun so far. It's based on the Jules Verne novel. You play the assistant to a man who's taken the bet to travel around the world in 80 days. You manage finances, luggage, and choose the route. There's something like half a million written words in the text.

No IAP.

Also worth noting it's by the people who brought you Sorcery! This is a no-brainer for me, I heard about it a while ago but didn't know it was even close to release. Thanks for posting

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, was coming here to ask about Micromon. It looks like it might just be a really good Pokémon clone.

Now I'll wait for the trip reports.

I've put about three hours into it at this point. I think the game is good, in that it is very similar to Pokemon, but it does have some pretty major down sides. Despite the developers being very vocal on Toucharcade's forums about how the microtransactions wouldn't have a major impact on the gameplay, they turned out to be very pervasive. A lot of the very rare monsters can only be easily attained by purchasing eggs, which can only be bought using diamonds, which is the games premium currency.

There doesn't seem to be any way to earn diamonds in-game, so the game is effectively pay-to-win. Players who sink a lot of money into the game are going to have a major advantage in the multiplayer, as they'll have all the best monsters right off the bat. I can't be sure yet, but it's also implied during the tutorial that any monsters you buy using the egg system are more powerful than their wild-caught equivalents.

They have also made the store, the egg store, and your current balance of diamonds major parts of the interface. The entire top bar is dedicated to premium features, no matter where you are in the game, or what menu you are in. I also just noticed that you can use diamonds to purchase the in-game currency. If you are grinding out common monsters you have caught, you go through potions faster than you can reasonably buy them from NPC vendors, so it seems like this is another system designed to funnel you into the cash shop.

Personally, I'd have much rather they'd charged a premium for the game and had no cash shop. It just makes the game seem seedy, at least to me. I can't see this game replacing Siralim as the best monster capturing game on the App Store.

I will say that the game is absolutely gorgeous. It is significantly better looking than any of the Pokemon game, even X and Y.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

lolasaurusrex posted:

I've put about three hours into it at this point. I think the game is good, in that it is very similar to Pokemon, but it does have some pretty major down sides. Despite the developers being very vocal on Toucharcade's forums about how the microtransactions wouldn't have a major impact on the gameplay, they turned out to be very pervasive. A lot of the very rare monsters can only be easily attained by purchasing eggs, which can only be bought using diamonds, which is the games premium currency.

There doesn't seem to be any way to earn diamonds in-game, so the game is effectively pay-to-win. Players who sink a lot of money into the game are going to have a major advantage in the multiplayer, as they'll have all the best monsters right off the bat. I can't be sure yet, but it's also implied during the tutorial that any monsters you buy using the egg system are more powerful than their wild-caught equivalents.

They have also made the store, the egg store, and your current balance of diamonds major parts of the interface. The entire top bar is dedicated to premium features, no matter where you are in the game, or what menu you are in. I also just noticed that you can use diamonds to purchase the in-game currency. If you are grinding out common monsters you have caught, you go through potions faster than you can reasonably buy them from NPC vendors, so it seems like this is another system designed to funnel you into the cash shop.

Personally, I'd have much rather they'd charged a premium for the game and had no cash shop. It just makes the game seem seedy, at least to me. I can't see this game replacing Siralim as the best monster capturing game on the App Store.

I will say that the game is absolutely gorgeous. It is significantly better looking than any of the Pokemon game, even X and Y.

Micromon was made by the same company that made Dragon Island Blue & Hunter Island. The IAP menu is way bigger in this game, but the other two they put out you could legit finish 100% w/o any IAP. I hope that there is a way to earn eggs by completing dungeons or weekly missions like in the other two.

vv Yeah if you troll the hunter island forums they talk about it here http://www.hunterislandforum.com/index.php/topic/85-micromon/
And yeah the grind. if you didn't find a sweet spot for leveling monsters it took forever.

Gegil fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 1, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Gegil posted:

Micromon was made by the same company that made Dragon Island Blue & Hunter Island. The IAP menu is way bigger in this game, but the other two they put out you could legit finish 100% w/o any IAP. I hope that there is a way to earn eggs by completing dungeons or weekly missions like in the other two.

Is it? When I click on the company name of the people that made micromon, it says this is the only game they have made.

Dragon island blue and hunter island are both ok games, but I really hate some decisions they did. That developer has no problem making balance decisions based off how tedious things are. The best monsters can destory entire teams of lesser monsters. But if you want the best monsters all you have to do it find 4 monsters that have a less than 1% chance of showing up. Then grind those monsters up to end game levels and combine them and grind those monster to end game levels and then combine them for the best monster.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 1, 2014

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Sogol posted:

Anyone played ALFA-ARKIV?

I played it for a bit, it seemed interesting, it's not free so much as a demo and unlock for $2 - Ł1.50 after the first two "levels" are done. What killed it stone dead for me though is unlocking the fourth part requires either going to google chrome app store or paying up some more.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

dear Micromon devs there's a reason pokemon just sent you back to town when you lost a battle instead of making you reload a save. that complaint aside, micromon is totally worth $1 so far. It seems like it's going to get pretty grindy though.

[e] Oh, and the first real town is water based so don't be like me and choose the fire starter and get another water weak monster from the free roll.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Deep Dive is pretty fun! I've already found a Black Obelisk and the Ark of the Covenant. I'm pretty sure the Transformers Matrix is discoverable.

The coin doubler seems a bit expensive at $4, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Played a bit of Blood Bowl overnight, seems to pretty much be a straight up port of the PC versions at lower fi settings. I'd played the game before so I could get right back into it, but it's not really that obvious what to do if you dont run through the tutorial first. It uses the same online account you have for your other versions, so dig up those old passwords. There's a lot of reliance on double-taps to do actions, so zoom up close before you try mash everything. Otherwise it loads pretty fast and play is solid.

As mentioned, it comes with Orcs and Human teams as standard, and IAP is available for dwarf, elf, skaven and chaos teams. No idea if they'll add more in the future.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

goferchan posted:

Also worth noting it's by the people who brought you Sorcery! This is a no-brainer for me, I heard about it a while ago but didn't know it was even close to release. Thanks for posting

No problem. My first trip around the world wound up being 86 days, and I got injected with heroin and thrown onto an airship to China, and wound up committing mutiny on a ship headed to America. Game owns bones. The story changes completely based on which route you take and the decisions you make.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shwqa posted:

-Yeah the game takes the kiddy gloves off after the snow area. Durning the snow area enemy's dealt 200-500 damage. After everything deals over 1,000 or party wide status effects, or full heals.

-It seems like almost everything has a tier 4 which was pretty surprising. The pokedex thing made it seem like they only had 3. Some monsters actually have a tier5 like the dog or the power rangers.

-currently my team is a red power ranger, dark fox, and a harpy. My dark fox makes all celestial allies take half damage, and then spend the rest of the time healing. While my other monster just go full offense.

-also the story has really gone in a good direction. they kill off the furry

It looks like both the 4th and 5th tiers [/spoiler]start showing up in postgame/main story dungeons. They are completely loving absurd to capture. Takes around 10 of the 3rd tier bait to get them up to 2 notes, and usually another 5-10 to make their capture rate close to sane (but still only 2 notes).[/spoiler] Capturing stuff later on hates you with a fiery passion and is made to force you to IAP for the galaxy 100% success baits, or spend dozens of rounds trying to bait and catch units. If you don't have high healer on the fox get a unit that has it and meld the two together. You can buy books that lock monster 1 as the result monster as well if you want to keep that type.

I will say that a Greatman, or whatever the 5th tier power ranger is, with High Healer can trivalize pretty much any fight that doesn't CC him, as he heals around 1750 to the party with it when capped out. He also gets a charge attack that never missed and does a fixed 800 damage. If an enemy has tiny HP but a gimmick like tons of defense or evade it's good for bypassing that, not much else though.

Not really impressed with large units at all either. Got a large unit to its 2nd tier and was able to cap a bunch of their stats and they really weren't much higher than some 3rd and 4th tier small units or 3rd tier mediums. I got a Yggdrasil (3rd tier tree, I think?) recent and will try leveling and medling them a few times to get to their caps and see if it's worthwhile. They tend to have high resistances which I guess helps make up for it. The best angel, who is immune to all effects, caps at like 2500hp and 250 defense, which is less than half the HP and defense of two of my units.

That said, my eventual endgame team of Rudolph(dog), Corethunder(mech), and Greatman(power ranger) proved itself to be solid enough, though they could use some better skills from other units. I think the mech is a tier 4 but the others are tier5s. I don't know if there's a 4th or 5th tier Hare unit though, which is a shame because the dark hare was really effective for a long time.

Shwqa posted:

Is it? When I click on the company name of the people that made micromon, it says this is the only game they have made.

Dragon island blue and hunter island are both ok games, but I really hate some decisions they did. That developer has no problem making balance decisions based off how tedious things are. The best monsters can destory entire teams of lesser monsters. But if you want the best monsters all you have to do it find 4 monsters that have a less than 1% chance of showing up. Then grind those monsters up to end game levels and combine them and grind those monster to end game levels and then combine them for the best monster.

And if your end result isn't an S-rank, and it won't be, then it will rarely, if ever, get extra attacks unless you get a bunch of rank increasers which seem to mainly come from the weekly quests, sometimes. I've had a Behemoth in Hunter Island forever (thank you, easily memorized bonus egg early in launch) and when it got to S rank it went up to something like a 20% chance to get to act again. It's level 99, has a move that hits everything, and I'm using the flute that boosts dark units heavily as about 1/3 or so of my team is dark and half my good units are dark.

The behemoth has killed 14 units by himself before anything else ever got a chance to act. The highest HP until was around 2200hp and still died in one shot because Massacre owns bones.

Sad to hear that their pokemon clone is diving headfirst in to pay to not kill yourself grinding. Guess I'll pass on it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
More Blood Bowl chat:

From what I've read in the BB thread you can only play against teams that are included in the tablet version (so no Chaos Dwarves, non-wood elves, necromantic, etc...), so be careful about that.

Also, Cyanide is a horrible company, that decided to make 2 full new games (BB: Legendary Edition and BB: Chaos Edition ) that added a few races and stadiums (but no bug fixes) and gave no way to the owners of the previous games (original BB or BB: Legendary Edition) to upgrade besides buying it at full price. Different versions could play against each other, so I can't see why there wasn't a DLC that added the races to the previous versions.

Consider that BB2 is going to be released this year, so don't expect much care for the tablet version after that, and a huge drop of number of players as they move to the newer game.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Marvel Pinball is free right now. Get your pinball on goons.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Duranki posted:

Deep Dive is pretty fun! I've already found a Black Obelisk and the Ark of the Covenant. I'm pretty sure the Transformers Matrix is discoverable.

The coin doubler seems a bit expensive at $4, though.

I'll also recommend Deep Loot as good fun.

I even threw the $4 coin doubler at them because the game has a good sense of humor and is really well put together.

Edit: And if anyone is still playing it, Another Case got an update with new levels.

Edit3: fixed

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 1, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just so no one is too confused... It's Deep Loot. ;)

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

More Blood Bowl chat:
and gave no way to the owners of the previous games (original BB or BB: Legendary Edition) to upgrade besides buying it at full price.

Cyanide can be pretty incompetent, but as far as I'm aware, anyone who owned a previous version of the game was, for the Chaos Edition at least, able to get it for ~$10. Which, I think, was half off?

One can decide on whether that was a fair price for the content or not, but it's less cartoonishly evil than having to rebuy the whole thing at full price.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Russad posted:

Cyanide can be pretty incompetent, but as far as I'm aware, anyone who owned a previous version of the game was, for the Chaos Edition at least, able to get it for ~$10. Which, I think, was half off?

IIRC, it wasn't the case for the first game, but I admit it sounds moustache twirling evil. I'd swear that having the base game wouldn't knock the price of the Legendary edition down to 10€, though, or it would have been a day one purchase for me. :shrug:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Well I guess at least they're trying is the best I can say about the Sky Force tournament level this weekend. It sucks!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I hit that point in Sky Force where I have no more motivation to play. The rest of the goals I need are pretty hard, and it's feeling like a grind now to try and accomplish them.

Luckily the Metal Slug update is filling that voice nicely.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So this Crazy Taxi game is really fun. Probably the best "runner" I've played. Hopefully the IAPs aren't too rough.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

80 Days is incredible. Stop talking about dumb free to play games and spend $5 on this. I just hit 80 days and I'm stuck in godforsaken America... organized a mutiny and became captain of my own ship, then was victim of a train robbery courtesy of Jesse James but managed to kick his rear end. Still making my way towards London but with a heavy heart after missing the deadline-- this is the kind of game where when I finish it I am gonna start it over immediately without even putting it down.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

goferchan posted:

80 Days is incredible. Stop talking about dumb free to play games and spend $5 on this. I just hit 80 days and I'm stuck in godforsaken America... organized a mutiny and became captain of my own ship, then was victim of a train robbery courtesy of Jesse James but managed to kick his rear end. Still making my way towards London but with a heavy heart after missing the deadline-- this is the kind of game where when I finish it I am gonna start it over immediately without even putting it down.

How does it compare to their Sorcery!?

I don't dig the steampunk thing but I'd put up with it if it promises something even remotely as good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sad lions posted:

How does it compare to their Sorcery!?

I don't dig the steampunk thing but I'd put up with it if it promises something even remotely as good.

More narrative-focused, less numbers focused. There's definitely gameplay there, in the form of money management, decision-making (in terms of how to react in certain situations, planning your routes, buying and selling items at a profit, etc) but obviously no RPG combat or anything. There are definitely some stats tracked that affect the course of the game, such as your character's personality based on your decisions or how your relationships with people develop, but you can't really pull up numbers or anything for these; it's all done silently in the background. The game somehow has even MORE polish than Sorcery!, if that's possible, and it looks like the number of routes through the game are absolutely vast.

Also, don't get put off by the steampunk stuff-- it's all integrated really well into a real-world historical setting and, if it makes any sense, the game's setting feels very accurately like "what people thought the world would be like a hundred years ago, two hundred years ago" than some Zybourne Clock poo poo. Seriously, this is an incredible & unique game and the writing is funny and dry and fantastic.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Here's my backlog of games I paid good cheeseburger money for, that I haven't played yet:

Battleheart Legacy
The Room 2
Infinity Blade 2
Wayward Souls
San Andreas
Kotor
Bad Piggies
Rayman Jungle Run
Lego Batman
Max Payne
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Gesundheit HD
NOVA 3
ORC: Vengeance
Modern Combat 4
Bastion
World of Goo
Wildblood
Monkey Island 2
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Scribblenauts
Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders
Starfront Collision
Grand Prix Story
Superbrothers

I'm stuck on the same 3 games. Monster Hunter, Zynga Poker, and Words With Friends.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

Here's my backlog of games I paid good cheeseburger money for, that I haven't played

I'm stuck on the same 3 games. Monster Hunter, Zynga Poker, and Words With Friends.

That's all?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Question on Blood Bowl: can you play against teams that you didn't buy?

I wouldn't mind picking up the game and maybe one other team, but if I'm going to be limited to games against three races in that scenario it's going to get old very quickly.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

goferchan posted:

More narrative-focused, less numbers focused. There's definitely gameplay there, in the form of money management, decision-making (in terms of how to react in certain situations, planning your routes, buying and selling items at a profit, etc) but obviously no RPG combat or anything. There are definitely some stats tracked that affect the course of the game, such as your character's personality based on your decisions or how your relationships with people develop, but you can't really pull up numbers or anything for these; it's all done silently in the background. The game somehow has even MORE polish than Sorcery!, if that's possible, and it looks like the number of routes through the game are absolutely vast.

Also, don't get put off by the steampunk stuff-- it's all integrated really well into a real-world historical setting and, if it makes any sense, the game's setting feels very accurately like "what people thought the world would be like a hundred years ago, two hundred years ago" than some Zybourne Clock poo poo. Seriously, this is an incredible & unique game and the writing is funny and dry and fantastic.

Well I'm just about sold on it.
What's the deal with that pseudo-multiplayer thing they mentioned?
Do you just see other player's routes or what?

Side note: I got an newsletter from them earlier basically saying they're already moving onto making Sorcery! part 3 so hopefully that'll be out before winter.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Recommended temporarily free game:
A Dark Room

I pretty much sat down and played this through in two long sessions, but it still was a great two hours or so.

Go in blind.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
GBAiOS is back up for download and you can get tons of cool roms and enjoy classics on your iPhone and what not. That is until Nintendo shits a brick again.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
So whats the verdict on the new Blood Bowl game for iOS? Cross platform multiplayer is pretty crazy!

Edit: Never mind, thanks Fat Samurai! Probably not gonna pick it up if I need to buy additional teams to play against them and then have all opponents leave for BB2.

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 1, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sad lions posted:

Well I'm just about sold on it.
What's the deal with that pseudo-multiplayer thing they mentioned?
Do you just see other player's routes or what?

Side note: I got an newsletter from them earlier basically saying they're already moving onto making Sorcery! part 3 so hopefully that'll be out before winter.

I'm pretty sure it's like what you said, you can see the existence of routes you may not have unlocked based on how many players have taken them. It seems like just fluff/a creative implementation of leaderboard/stat tracking stuff -- nothing that affects the game. And that's awesome about Sorcery 3 -- part 2 was a big improvement over 1 and poo poo starts to get real as hell near the end of part 2 so I can't wait to see where the story goes.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

goferchan posted:

My idiot master screwed us over by blurting out something about this stupid spy lady we got pressured into travelling with and now I'm all the way back in Moscow and it's going to cost all my funds to bribe the Siberian Express to get us back to where I started in any sort of reasonable time and master is going to be pissed off because the trip is cold and uncomfortable when it's his loving fault in the first place. Good thing I can soothe him with the big Russian coat I bought.

Second that this game is pretty great.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

Here's my backlog of games I paid good cheeseburger money for, that I haven't played yet:

Battleheart Legacy
The Room 2
Infinity Blade 2
Wayward Souls
San Andreas
Kotor
Bad Piggies
Rayman Jungle Run
Lego Batman
Max Payne
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Gesundheit HD
NOVA 3
ORC: Vengeance
Modern Combat 4
Bastion
World of Goo
Wildblood
Monkey Island 2
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Scribblenauts
Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders
Starfront Collision
Grand Prix Story
Superbrothers

Bad Piggies and World of Goo are my favorites from this list.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

IGN's Free Game Of The Month for August is Telltale Games' The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1: All That Remains.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
80 Days was fun but my first trip only took 47 days. Was I just really lucky? My character even spent a night with a sexy dude in New Orleans.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Acapulco is under siege, and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Lancelot posted:

80 Days was fun but my first trip only took 47 days. Was I just really lucky? My character even spent a night with a sexy dude in New Orleans.

Wow, what route did you take? I thought my 66 day trip was pretty decent.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Lancelot posted:

You were really lucky. My first trip was 86 days, my second was 76.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lancelot posted:

You were really lucky, I was really proud of my 68 score. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

whip posted:

GBAiOS is back up for download and you can get tons of cool roms and enjoy classics on your iPhone and what not. That is until Nintendo shits a brick again.

Is this a jailbreak only thing or what? Having trouble finding info on this.

• Locked thread