Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
For those of you who use the Stranger endorsements to select your candidates for election: a bunch of their writers dissented from the editorial board's decision to endorse Frank Chopp.

I don't think Jess Spears has a chance in hell, but I'd much rather have Frank Chopp worried about what's coming at him from the left than what's coming at him from the right. Also, gently caress that guy.

Also, if you hadn't heard, The Hurricane is getting torn down in favor of more Amazon development.

Yeah, it sucks, but as they point out, it is a pretty lovely use of land in that area; the development is good. And before you ask, yes, I am a villain from an 80s sports movie; we're going to tear down the community center next to make room for more condos.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
drat that kind of sucks, I always liked the Hurricane. Stick with stuff from the breakfast menu though in my experience, everything else is a little meh. What's next to go, the 5 point cafe?

At least the Egyptian is opening back up in the fall. SIFF bought it back and are planning to open it in October last I heard. Looking forward to the midnight movies there again.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The Stranger, being classy as gently caress. Nothing like sexually harassing a press contact, am I right?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What a painfully unfunny piece

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

The Stranger, being classy as gently caress. Nothing like sexually harassing a press contact, am I right?

Are you suggesting that interview actually happened IRL? I've got a bridge to sell you

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Even if it didn't, why publish that poo poo?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SedanChair posted:

Are you suggesting that interview actually happened IRL? I've got a bridge to sell you

The fact that it's questionable doesn't help their reputation any.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

oxbrain posted:

Even if it didn't, why publish that poo poo?

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Page?oid=21244

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Thanatosian posted:

The Stranger reports that the architect of pot legalization in Washington wants to run against Kshama Sawant for city council.

While they don't say it, it's pretty clear where The Stranger thinks this is coming from:

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the Stranger's take on her reasoning, but they are right about one thing: if Holcomb is actually looking to change things, she'd be much better off running against Sally Clark or Tim Rasmussen. But she'd probably have to fight a lot harder to win those races than she will to win the race against Sawant; as the "conservative" candidate, she's basically gonna have a blank check from the Downtown Seattle Association, and she's got the progressive cred to win over a lot of Sawant's base.

I'd absolutely back Sawant over her, but I'd totally back Holcomb over Rasmussen or Sally "The Weathervane" Clark.

And for the love of God, would somebody with a snowball's chance in hell please run against Jean Godden? It was bad enough when she was just on the city council, but now she's my city council rep, and that is untenable.

Tone arguments. :allears:

She was just Too Mean. We'd totally get behind her if she was, y'know, nicer about it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I'll take him over Team Blethen every single time.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Oregon still doesn't have legal marijuana without a green card. Portland thinks we'll totally pass that vote this year, so they've started forming committees on where shops can sell it. But, one of the caveats in the bill will be that cities can't collect taxes on marijuana; just the state. So, Portland is going to try to impose a sales tax on marijuana before that bill passes in November.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I'm sure that the voters of Portland would love to see a regressive sales tax implemented, especially as an obvious end-around of the legalization movement over a product that cannot officially be sold.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

I'll take him over Team Blethen every single time.

I feel like this comparison is like asking what sort of bread I want with my poo poo sandwich.

The published version of the Stranger isn't all that bad, but their blog (which they consider a significant part of their reporting) is absolutely terrible. Besides the sexual harassment from earlier this week, there's the incoherent ramblings of Charles Mudede, who doesn't do basic research and ends every post with an implied "Makes you think, huh?"

I mean seriously, what are the decent local news sites these days? Local tv news is poo poo, AJAM has a Seattle bureau but top tier cable is loving expensive, KUOW/KPLU is spotty and so on. Are there some local blogs that I'm missing out on? Is there even anything that will bother to cover anything north of Lake City Way?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

I feel like this comparison is like asking what sort of bread I want with my poo poo sandwich.

The published version of the Stranger isn't all that bad, but their blog (which they consider a significant part of their reporting) is absolutely terrible. Besides the sexual harassment from earlier this week, there's the incoherent ramblings of Charles Mudede, who doesn't do basic research and ends every post with an implied "Makes you think, huh?"

I mean seriously, what are the decent local news sites these days? Local tv news is poo poo, AJAM has a Seattle bureau but top tier cable is loving expensive, KUOW/KPLU is spotty and so on. Are there some local blogs that I'm missing out on? Is there even anything that will bother to cover anything north of Lake City Way?

There's always the Post-Intelligencer.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

I'm sure that the voters of Portland would love to see a regressive sales tax implemented, especially as an obvious end-around of the legalization movement over a product that cannot officially be sold.

We have an effective 75% tax from just the state here in Washington on marijuana. Plus sales tax. Why can't Portland get a bit of operating revenue?
As much as I hate regressive taxes, its not like people NEED to buy marijuana. Its a luxury.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
So is any sin tax.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Don't they just re-post other articles now?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mrit posted:

We have an effective 75% tax from just the state here in Washington on marijuana. Plus sales tax. Why can't Portland get a bit of operating revenue?
As much as I hate regressive taxes, its not like people NEED to buy marijuana. Its a luxury.

If nothing else it sounds like an incentive to set up shops in Portland suburbs rather than the city itself.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Just popping in because I mis-clicked and ended up here and saw a PNW thread so felt it might be interesting.

I currently live in Portland(College) ,but grew up around Tacoma/Federal Way.

On a note of the Hanford discussion, my great grandparents owned a cattle ranch in Dayton and both of them ended up dying of cancer's in the 80's and so have alot of people from that area. Admittedly I don't like to jump on the "nuclear is bad" idiot wagon and would love to see it more adopted ,but Hanford was pretty drat horrible.

Although the real reason I doubt Nuclear power would gain traction would be from that colossal WHPPS fuckup.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
One cop--citing mostly black people--responsible for 80% of Seattle pot citations.

Currently relegated to desk duty, was also making smarmy comments to Pete Holmes on the tickets, and at one point flipped a coin to determine who to write a ticket to. But hey, according to the union, he's "the hardest-working cop on the force." So, you know, all good.

It's a Seattle Times link, so remember to use Incognito/InPrivate browsing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Thanatosian posted:

It's a Seattle Times link, so remember to use Incognito/InPrivate browsing.
Catch me up, why them more than the next?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Catch me up, why them more than the next?
They limit the number of articles you can look at per month.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

They limit the number of articles you can look at per month.

You can also just block cookies from seattletimes.com.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A Republican candidate for the House and one for the Senate are doing stand-up routines in Portland to get their names out.

No, really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDoj9QzRmSQ

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 2, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Whats the easiest way to get married with as little officials involved as possible in WA state?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reason posted:

Whats the easiest way to get married with as little officials involved as possible in WA state?

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/washington/

Looks like you need two witnesses and a minister for the ceremony but that should be about it.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Over the weekend, Roger Goodman (state rep, 45th CD, D) stopped by my house in person to ask for my vote. He was dressed pretty plainly, had no entourage, and didn't BS me. Nice to see that out of a politician.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
He actually lived in my condo complex for a while. Seemed like a pretty nice guy and drove a nice old 1980's era BMW.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Reason posted:

From what Computer Parts posted, it looks pretty similar to Oregon.

My marriage involved finding a "minster" who specialized in doing weddings at his vineyard. He was willing to just do a quick "ceremony" on his lunch break on a weekday, and our parents were the witnesses for the paperwork. Not much muss or fuss. I just asked for him to sign the paperwork, but he felt like washing up, putting on a tie, and giving a fairly quick exchange of vows. We weren't religious and didn't want to inflict a boring ceremony on our friends, or cough up the cash to rent a church.

So if it is all about just getting officially married as quick and easy as possible, file for a marriage license and start calling around for people who advertise that they do marriages, and more than likely you'll find someone willing to do a small and short notice ceremony (after the mandatory 3 day wait).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

From what Computer Parts posted, it looks pretty similar to Oregon.

My marriage involved finding a "minster" who specialized in doing weddings at his vineyard. He was willing to just do a quick "ceremony" on his lunch break on a weekday, and our parents were the witnesses for the paperwork. Not much muss or fuss. I just asked for him to sign the paperwork, but he felt like washing up, putting on a tie, and giving a fairly quick exchange of vows. We weren't religious and didn't want to inflict a boring ceremony on our friends, or cough up the cash to rent a church.

So if it is all about just getting officially married as quick and easy as possible, file for a marriage license and start calling around for people who advertise that they do marriages, and more than likely you'll find someone willing to do a small and short notice ceremony (after the mandatory 3 day wait).

In Washington, you can actually just get one of your buddies (or parents, for that matter) to get ordained as a minister online. It's free.

Just make sure they get the paperwork right.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

In Washington, you can actually just get one of your buddies (or parents, for that matter) to get ordained as a minister online. It's free.

Last I checked, you can do that in Oregon, but they have to file with the county so they have a record of them being a minster, and that is probably more of a pain than just finding one of the many people who are in the minister-for-hire business. You can find them in the Yellow Pages and the like under "Wedding Ministers".

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

I did this just a few weeks ago actually. Sign up at the Universal Life Church and you're good to go. Their only statement of faith is "Do no harm to others", and after a few minutes you're ordained.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bY0fdgpISc

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thanatosian posted:

My wife & I did the whole ceremony thing 15 years ago but the pastor forgot to deal with the paperwork & moved to the sticks of northern California the next day. So we were never really married. When she needed to get on my dental insurance from work, we officially got married. One of her best friends got ordained online (since a friend of mine flaked) while we hung out then looked up & proclaimed us married, signed the license & we were done.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

My wife & I did the whole ceremony thing 15 years ago but the pastor forgot to deal with the paperwork & moved to the sticks of northern California the next day. So we were never really married. When she needed to get on my dental insurance from work, we officially got married. One of her best friends got ordained online (since a friend of mine flaked) while we hung out then looked up & proclaimed us married, signed the license & we were done.

Yeah, let me be clear that when I say "make sure they get the paperwork right," I'm talking about the marriage license, not the ordination.

Also, make sure they send in the marriage license.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

highme posted:

The reactor at Reed is fun to visit

This post is from like a month ago but, yeah, it is. Its a pile of uranium in a swimming pool being watched over by (admittedly, very smart) children. Pretty surreal.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I keep wanting to go visit the Hanford site. Is there anything else around that area to do/see that might be interesting or WWII/cold war related?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
There's a submarine and the Crehst museum.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My brother and his wife got married by a judge (a friend of my dad) with just the parents in attendance as witnesses. You can always go to court for marriage for something quick and easy.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

seiferguy posted:

My brother and his wife got married by a judge (a friend of my dad) with just the parents in attendance as witnesses. You can always go to court for marriage for something quick and easy.

Depends. The reason I ended up finding a for hire wedding minister is because the county clerk told me that local judges were booked solid for the next month and a half, and I would have to come in everyday and wait outside the court room in the hope that something would finish up early and the judge didn't use the opportunity to just go home early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
According to Ballotpedia, the one opinion poll on Oregon Measure 91 (Cannabis legalization) has the measure being ahead 51-41%, with 8% undecided.

http://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Legalized_Marijuana_Initiative,_Measure_91_%282014%29

Since the last measure failed by only 7% of the vote, and voters in Oregon have had two years to see that marijuana legalization in Washington and Colorado went off fairly smoothly, it seems pretty likely that it will pass. The one poll done didn't have a large sample size, and there was a lot of undecideds, but it seems there is a good change this measure will pass. Right now I would probably give it about a 75% chance of success.

• Locked thread