Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minsky
May 23, 2001

Eldercain posted:

I'm wondering why the changes they listed were gonna be so far out. I understand the outcry since they said it would be this patch and punting it several months down the line is a real kick in the nuts, but just how buggy were the changes that they opted not to? Perhaps it was a sign that they know they need more QA?

Looking at that post I linked a page ago, there seems to still be an assload of content coming up, so I imagine there is a massive QA backlog of other test requests.

Especially since class mechanic changes may impact things like future raid content tuning and itemization so testing them might take longer than average.

Or they just suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm pumped for the threat changes but I'm even more excited to see what bugs they cause.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minsky posted:

I get your argument up to a point though: for example if Blizzard fucks up the gearing process in WoD, there is a possibility that one may end up having to repeat the same content over four difficulties possibly multiple times (LFR -> normal -> heroic -> mythic). I agree that things might get a bit draining at that point. I just feel that that problem is a much easier problem to solve.

It's a tough problem to solve, really.

Let's imagine two tiers of difficulty for a given raid, and let's call them Flex Mode and Hard Mode. How do you itemize rewards for those? If they give the same rewards, Hard Mode players feel like they aren't be rewarded for the extra effort they put in. If Flex Mode gives rewards that are too small of an upgrade from dungeons/"veteran/heroic" dungeons, Flex Mode players feel ripped off.

It seems like the obvious solution is that Flex Mode should give rewards that are better than what you can get from "veteran/heroic" dungeons, but not as good as what you can get from Hard Mode raids. Problem solved! Well, not really. Because there's now a gear step between veteran dungeons and Hard Mode raids, it's only logical to want to equip your raid with that better gear before starting Hard Mode. Why wouldn't you want every advantage possible? So maybe the first time through that makes Hard Mode easier than it should be, so now the designers either make Flex Mode give worse rewards (not a good solution) or balance Hard Mode around the idea that players will have the gear from Flex Mode. So now you're running one version of a raid to prepare for the version of that raid you really want to do, and that's not fun, either. It just adds an extra level of tedium for Hard Mode raiders and drains some of the excitement from doing the Hard Mode raid in the first place--you've been there and done that already in one form or another.

It's not that I don't think there's a solution, but I can see how it's incredibly hard to make everyone happy.

Salmanilla
Dec 21, 2012
Is it just me or has the wildstargoons forum died in the last couple weeks or so? Also, did dstep or someone else close the <Goon Squad> forum page because that has mysteriously vanished :iiam:

- Regicide

EDIT: for bad grammar

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

It's not that I don't think there's a solution, but I can see how it's incredibly hard to make everyone happy.

WoW already partially solved this with LFR. It comes out weeks after the actual normal/hard instance comes out and is progress locked so you have to wait further to open up additional wings.

So if it ever comes up that you need to run the easier version of the raid its not a matter of normal progression, but catching up.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Salmanilla posted:

Is it just me or has the wildstargoons forum died in the last couple weeks or so? Also, did dstep or someone else close the <Goon Squad> forum page because that has mysteriously vanished :iiam:

- Regicide

Yeah offsite forums don't really last for any but the biggest games. Even when everyone was playing back at release almost nobody was using the forums since this thread was more than enough to handle discussion.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

One nice thing that wowgoons has that can't be done just on SA is a calendar for scheduling events like raid groups etc.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Minsky posted:

One nice thing that wowgoons has that can't be done just on SA is a calendar for scheduling events like raid groups etc.

Google calendars can do that for us just as well.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Szcwczuk posted:

Sure. I just like the signup API for wowgoons since it lets you identify roles etc., and it was integrated with your forum account. I don't know how customizable the Google calendar stuff is.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
We had a signup calendar back in my wow days and good god does it make raid invites easy. Everyone makes their dude, puts their name out, you pick and choose who comes and click them into accepted to the raid (and cancel people who noshow) and then you not only have a detailed list of who was there and who went, but you can quickly fill out a theoretical 20man raid and make sure you don't accidentally invite too many of x y or z.

From an administrative perspective it is so SO much easier to have a raid calendar than a generic one.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Harrow posted:

It's a tough problem to solve, really.

Let's imagine two tiers of difficulty for a given raid, and let's call them Flex Mode and Hard Mode. How do you itemize rewards for those? If they give the same rewards, Hard Mode players feel like they aren't be rewarded for the extra effort they put in. If Flex Mode gives rewards that are too small of an upgrade from dungeons/"veteran/heroic" dungeons, Flex Mode players feel ripped off.

It seems like the obvious solution is that Flex Mode should give rewards that are better than what you can get from "veteran/heroic" dungeons, but not as good as what you can get from Hard Mode raids. Problem solved! Well, not really. Because there's now a gear step between veteran dungeons and Hard Mode raids, it's only logical to want to equip your raid with that better gear before starting Hard Mode. Why wouldn't you want every advantage possible? So maybe the first time through that makes Hard Mode easier than it should be, so now the designers either make Flex Mode give worse rewards (not a good solution) or balance Hard Mode around the idea that players will have the gear from Flex Mode. So now you're running one version of a raid to prepare for the version of that raid you really want to do, and that's not fun, either. It just adds an extra level of tedium for Hard Mode raiders and drains some of the excitement from doing the Hard Mode raid in the first place--you've been there and done that already in one form or another.

I think if there's really just two difficulties, it's reasonable to expect to have to gear from one to do the latter at least for the first tier of the expansion. Different art, more powerful items, mounts, titles, pets, vanity items etc. that only drop in the hardmode should be enough motivation. Don't forget also that the competitive progression guilds that these hardmodes are meant for also care about competing vs other guilds about completion times, so I don't think they would need to be bribed to do both content.

If it's more like WOW with four difficulties, I think going from heroic dungeons to the second or third difficulty depending on how good your guild is a reasonable way to go about it. Then make the heroic dungeons harder. That gives you an alternative between tourist-mode LFR and hard heroic dungeons for entering raiding.

Being able to buy gear from content you've beaten using EP that you earn by doing whatever you want is also a good idea. It needs to be capped in such a way though that it's not your primary way of obtaining gear after beating content once, because it's important for the health of the game that as many people are doing previous tier content as possible.

Edit: You could even do more blatant things like, the first couple times you complete a particular difficulty, you are guaranteed a drop and you can choose which drop it is from a limited table. This would then be enough to get you to an ilvl close enough to enter the next tier of difficulty if you are really good and your guild intends to primarily progress on higher difficulties. If instead you want to trade difficulty for tedium, you can keep grinding on the lower difficulty until you are fully geared up. That's the trade-off.

Minsky fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 1, 2014

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

30.5 Days posted:

Now this is interesting. https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/104634-upcoming-warrior-threat-hotfix/#entry1074130

Warriors getting hotfixed after the explosion when they announced that real fixes were two months away.

Well that makes me a happy camper. This is what I've been hoping for, a quick bandaid now of upping threat numbers and then a long-term 'ok, this is what's broke, here's how it will be fixed' reworking.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Salmanilla posted:

- Regicide

Goons are abandoning this game in droves. In the last three weeks Space Jam has gone from "Could conceivably raid if we get everyone attuned" to "The only level 50's on are these five guys so if one of them is gone we can't do poo poo".

And I'm one of those level 50's and yep I'm done with this until the dev team pulls their heads out of their asses.

Uhrm
Apr 11, 2012

Jedit posted:

Four Horsemen in Naxx 1.0 required eight tanks in your 40-man raid, and the only 100% viable tanking class out of eight available to each faction was Warriors. This is relevant because Carbine believe that is the acme of raid encounter design.

Actually, 4H could be done with 5 or 6 tanks if you never had any taunts miss.

Tholias
Jun 8, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

If Goons actually still played Wildstar that is.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Drop 3 PTR notes:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/104670-ptr-update-notes-defile-111-8012014/#entry1074838

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Eldercain posted:

I'm wondering why the changes they listed were gonna be so far out. I understand the outcry since they said it would be this patch and punting it several months down the line is a real kick in the nuts, but just how buggy were the changes that they opted not to? Perhaps it was a sign that they know they need more QA?

Honestly, I don't know why they didn't jazz up our threat numbers sooner. Warrior tanking doesn't really feel thematically bad other than being pretty short ranged I guess? A redo is all well and good but it's perfectly fine to give it to us later as long as we're viable in a basic way now.

Obviously they need more QA, and if they were running tight on time I could understand this crazy poo poo that's happening. But what's the point of saying "drop 2 will come sometime in August" to cover your rear end if you're gonna release it in late July regardless of what's wrong with it?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Technologists have expert research now! :woop:

Salmanilla
Dec 21, 2012
They still need to address the lack of an Algoroc Soup cooking recipe for the Dominion side, would love to gain a couple more easy, low level food talent points. Hopefully the game isn't completely dead by the time the expert tech research is added to the game. However, I say this while I just got myself on a 10 day free trail of mists of pandaria :shepicide:

Salmanilla fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 1, 2014

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

Goons are abandoning this game in droves. In the last three weeks Space Jam has gone from "Could conceivably raid if we get everyone attuned" to "The only level 50's on are these five guys so if one of them is gone we can't do poo poo".

And I'm one of those level 50's and yep I'm done with this until the dev team pulls their heads out of their asses.

We've got about 10 people in line for attunement right at this exact moment with a few more coming up in the wings if you could stomach to roll a dominion character. We'd welcome you with open arms though :)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I thought space jam was all the cool super chill dudes!!!

GS seems to have largely stabilized and we have pretty good attunement progress all told. Now that the drop hit we have several people getting ready to foray into ssm too.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's nice to see a bunch of groups working towards a common goal. There have been quite a few promotions recently within GS that could invite to the guild as well, so join the channel in game and ask for an invite and you could find it pretty easily now.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Eldercain posted:

I thought space jam was all the cool super chill dudes!!!

We are! We've got a schedule we're starting up next week going Tues through Thursday hitting Dungeons with maybe some Sunday runs too. The only problem is we've got EXACTLY 5 dudes, although it looks like there may be one more interested according to the offsite forums, which would be great.

Space Jam was always kind of a smaller subset so we're showing the effects of first month drop off more so than GS.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

Sterling_Archer posted:

We are very close to raid ready on Warb, if you're close to attunement and actually want to play this bad game, let someone know or ask for an invite to the pgi circle.

Who the hell are "we" and why would I want to raid with someone who abandoned GS for AD?

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

Kresher posted:

Who the hell are "we" and why would I want to raid with someone who abandoned GS for AD?

Yes better to not get any chances at gear for weeks while waiting for other people to get attuned. Also found some good people from there to play/raid with in the future.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Technologists have expert research now! :woop:

Some highlights, Hybrid Core, Refined Hybrid Cores, Luminite-Hybrid Cores. Gadgets with rune slots. (Armor Boost, Shield Heal, Armor Breaker.) new patterns from Raids, some shoulders, gloves and boots. Some consumable that gives you a cleave, upgraded versions of all the boosts and consumables. Upgraded Medi-shots (8k restore). A bunch of neat looking stuff.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Kresher posted:

What a jerk leaving a guild that was doing nothing, had no leadership and had no organization to join a guild that did (at the time).

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine

Kresher posted:

GS is nothing but a chat room anyways, stop acting like a small boner.

asmodeusvivivi
Sep 7, 2011
I just started playing and am really enjoying it so far. Any chance I could get an invite to Space Jam? I tried signing up for the WSG forum, but the email confirmation doesn't seem to be working. I'm in the game as Varghoulis.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

kevin mung posted:

GS is nothing but a chat room anyways, stop acting like a small boner.

Szcwczuk posted:

What a jerk leaving a guild that was doing nothing, had no leadership and had no organization to join a guild that did (at the time).

Sounds like people who are in PGI circle :colbert:

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

We did a cool thing.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Harrow posted:

It's really not that hard of a problem and it's been solved in several ways already. The simplest approach to difficulty splitting has been that rewards from lower-difficulty tiers are worse except for some rare items, like a weapon or trinket with ridiculously good stat balance that's BiS through the next tier and drops off of the last boss.

It basically keeps the difficulty tier useful for a long time and appealing to more players.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Szcwczuk posted:

If that was truthfully all that is the reasoning behind wanting to be a special snowflake, why didn't he just...you...know...help out to get other goons attuned? Why not step forward and provide the guidance/leadership/organization instead of just taking off and doing nothing but try and get people to leave GS?

Asema fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 2, 2014

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Hahaha well I went to buy an ability point from the elder gem vendor, and the instant I did, the server crashed.

Hope it's there when I get back on!

e: yay it is. Sucks for these poor fucks who were doing dungeons on a more stable day, though.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 2, 2014

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

Asema posted:

If that was truthfully all that is the reasoning behind wanting to be a special snowflake, why didn't he just...you...know...help out to get other goons attuned? Why not step forward and provide the guidance/leadership/organization instead of just taking off and doing nothing but try and get people to leave GS?

Hardcore logic: Let's leave the casuals behind and leave for greener pasture for raid, then attempt to siphon the said casuals into my special circle to use them for raid, now that they are getting attuned.
With me as the main tank/leader for raids to distribute loot and tell them what to do, of course!

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Yeah it's pretty lovely to gently caress you got mine off to a pubbie guild and tbh that's not the kind of person I want to raid with anyhow.

Your posting confirms. But hopefully this demonstrates to people who like attunement why it is bad.

E: GS actually is full of pretty cool folks now and our new leader man has actively been tracking attunement and helping put together successful silver runs. Gonna try to get an SSM together tomorrow myself in da afternoon

Feline Mind Meld fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 2, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eldercain posted:

Yeah it's pretty lovely to gently caress you got mine off to a pubbie guild and tbh that's not the kind of person I want to raid with anyhow.

Your posting confirms. But hopefully this demonstrates to people who like attunement why it is bad.

Also why this game attracts the worst kind of grognard.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
Wait, why is there an exodus of goons? Has something happened in the last month that has made the game terrible?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Mayostard posted:

Wait, why is there an exodus of goons? Has something happened in the last month that has made the game terrible?

They just keep bungling patches and fixes and balance so bad that it's gone from funny to awful almost back around to funny, and it's caused the normal post launch attrition to be much higher. We're starting to stabilize a bit now, and the game is somehow in a better state than it was at launch at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's also going to get better going forward (hopefully). It's still a really solid MMO launch with all things considered with how much content that was available at launch and the aggressive content drop should help keep people interested. (Once they fix PvP jesus christ)

Now really is the time to get into the game if you haven't before.

• Locked thread