Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012

gobboboy posted:

Shut the thread down, we have a winner.

http://www.thenewsnerd.com/local/boy-dies-participating-facebook-fire-challenge/

There's a video of one of the "more successful" entries in the link. This is just absolutely loving baffling. People are throwing super flammable materials on themselves and lighting themselves on fire for LITERALLY NO REASON.

So.. Are we coming to the end game of the "x" challenge videos like that one with people tryin to swallow powdered cinnamon? It's progression has led to this? And where do they go from here? The gun challenge? The cyanide challenge?

"Brad's such a loving loser, he couldn't handle the eating knives challenge."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Judge Tesla posted:

He'll probably win a Darwin Award at least.
Doubtful - you have to be an adult to qualify for one.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Doin' it for tha Vine.

They just wanna get on TV. 40 years ago it was seeing how many kids you could stuff in a phone booth or a VW Beetle - now it's self-immolation.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other, right?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

FoiledShenanigans posted:

So.. Are we coming to the end game of the "x" challenge videos like that one with people tryin to swallow powdered cinnamon? It's progression has led to this? And where do they go from here? The gun challenge? The cyanide challenge?

It's not the endgame until we get to the final challenge.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Profound stuff, guy whose cover photo was Three Days Grace tour dates.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Stottie Kyek posted:

That sounds like the kind of thing newsreaders usually call a "manifesto" after the guy commits some terrible crime. :ohdear:

Yeah, he cites Elliot Rodger as having the right idea, but not being "enlightened" enough.

gobboboy posted:

http://www.thenewsnerd.com/local/boy-dies-participating-facebook-fire-challenge/

There's a video of one of the "more successful" entries in the link. This is just absolutely loving baffling. People are throwing super flammable materials on themselves and lighting themselves on fire for LITERALLY NO REASON.

gently caress, this happened to a friend of mine in middle school. Not a dare or challenge, he'd just apparently seen his uncle do the methyl-alcohol trick and didn't understand the difference between that and gasoline (and doused his whole body to show off to friends). :smith:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Besesoth posted:

Today, on a whim, I read* a blog post of an "incel" (that's "involuntarily celibate" in MRA-speak :jerkbag:). It was twenty-two thousand words - no repetition or copy/pasting, nothing obviously from other sources - that was, functionally, about how he was too awesome for women to sleep with him (the basic syllogism: a. Intelligence and awesomeness are mating signals; b. stupid, non-awesome men developed seduction; c. modern women prefer being seduced; d. I am intelligent; therefore I am too awesome for women to want me). He hates PUAs because they use seduction rather than True Awesomeness, and believes that voting should be restricted to "intelligent men". (Naturally, he'd be a voter.)

The money quote - I swear this is verbatim, and the context doesn't make it any better: "A woman is a relatively simple biological robot whose goal is to produce offspring that will be most optimal from an evolutionary standpoint."

* the first tenth of, and skimmed the rest - see also "twenty-two thousand words"

Good to know that ridiculously long, self-absorbed manifestos are a common trait of incels, not just Elliot Rodger. Unless you were reading Rodger's manifesto which sounds mostly like that. Buying a lottery ticket and claiming someone stole HIS money when his ticket loses, etc

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

gobboboy posted:

robotsinmyhead posted:

Doin' it for tha Vine.

They just wanna get on TV. 40 years ago it was seeing how many kids you could stuff in a phone booth or a VW Beetle - now it's self-immolation.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other, right?

We have met the idiot, and he is us.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

RoeCocoa posted:

Ahahahaha

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RoeCocoa posted:

No, it's real--I found a news story about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Henchman of Santa posted:

Profound stuff, guy whose cover photo was Three Days Grace tour dates.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
That tree just kicked the patriarchy's rear end.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
...I always thought that "Incel" was shorthand for "Internet Celebrity", the type of person who always gets lots of responses to social media posts!

I guess this explains some of the reactions I get when I am posting about how I am a top Incel.

:ohdear:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

RoeCocoa posted:

I'm really despising the entire "flat out making up a news story = satire" thing. Satire requires a bit more than "random thing that never happened".

Anyway, I'm a little worried as one of my in-laws is slipping from "having dumb lovely opinions" to "full blown racist psychosis".

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

RoeCocoa posted:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Boy-14-burned-playing-Fire-Challenge-game-5658199.php

Sorry. People are still loving stupid.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'm really despising the entire "flat out making up a news story = satire" thing. Satire requires a bit more than "random thing that never happened".

Anyway, I'm a little worried as one of my in-laws is slipping from "having dumb lovely opinions" to "full blown racist psychosis".

While I agree that Sue Shee's comment is inappropriate on such a young child's comment section, isn't Eda Torial a little young to have a facebook page - you have to be 13 by the rules.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

glowing-fish posted:

...I always thought that "Incel" was shorthand for "Internet Celebrity", the type of person who always gets lots of responses to social media posts!
To be fair, they probably tend to fall under the same umbrella.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've been seeing this a lot, lately. I'm so sick of people trying to emulate The Onion when they don't actually understand what they do, or are unable/unwilling to provide some decent satire.

To their credit, though, the "fire challenge" is kinda alright in that regard.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SybilVimes posted:

While I agree that Sue Shee's comment is inappropriate on such a young child's comment section, isn't Eda Torial a little young to have a facebook page - you have to be 13 by the rules.

Did I miss something where it says they are 12 or under?

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Wow I can't believe I got got. What the hell is with the video then?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

kazil posted:

He's commenting on the quality of the painting.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

kazil posted:

He's taking a jab at the painting's quality.

EDIT: wow how did I miss the post above me.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

gobboboy posted:

Wow I can't believe I got got. What the hell is with the video then?

Kids really are setting themselves on fire. It's just that no one has died....yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17WMdZlg7A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WztQ6IC5kQ

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Kids really are setting themselves on fire. It's just that no one has died....yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17WMdZlg7A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WztQ6IC5kQ

i love how both of these videos are so casual about the fact that they're lighting themselves on fire

and literally the instant you see flames it's like :derp:

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

quote:

Fire Challenge

JFC, just videotape some skateboard tricks or something. Learn an instrument. There's got to be some other way to prove your coolness other than setting yourself on fire.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Setting yourself on fire IS pretty drat cool though.

But it's only cool if you let it keep going while keeping your composure.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

Apogee15 posted:

But it's only cool if you let it keep going while keeping your composure.

"Nah bro, it's not that bad. Can you hand me my Monster Energy DrinkŪ?"

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I blame Jennifer Lawrence for popularizing catching fire.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Apogee15 posted:

Actually...being on fire...is the opposite...of being cool!

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Actually...being on fire...is the opposite...of being cool!

Fire is typically hot.

e: Source here http://www.highlightskids.com/science-questions/why-fire-hot

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
It's all relative. Compared to the sun, a regular gas fire is pretty cool.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I used to drench my hands in hand sanitizer and light them on fire. I was much older than 15. I might be smarter than these people but not by much.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

:thejoke:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The next youtube challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEYYYMuwCyA

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

ThatPazuzu posted:

I blame Jennifer Lawrence for popularizing catching fire.

She's making idiots self-immolate? She really IS awesome.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32804431/ns/us_news-military/t/marines-take-deadly-risks-trust-game/#.U9wp0fldVyw

Thanks for reminding me of that stupid poo poo that most of the people I served with thought was a totally okay "game".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Slickdrac posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32804431/ns/us_news-military/t/marines-take-deadly-risks-trust-game/#.U9wp0fldVyw

Thanks for reminding me of that stupid poo poo that most of the people I served with thought was a totally okay "game".

article posted:

"You have young men, bored, killing time with a gun. That's not a good mix," Solis said. "I don't think the Marines have any corner on this. I think it happens in the civilian community as well."
"Oh yeah civilians point guns at one another for fun all the time when they get bored, everybody's doing it!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

"Oh yeah civilians point guns at one another for fun all the time when they get bored, everybody's doing it!"

The difference is that they're usually like nine. And using their fingers/plastic fake crap that doesn't even shoot anything.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

The White Dragon posted:

Goddamn, every quote from the Marines is so loving flippant about it. "A Marine intentionally pulled a gun and shot his comrade, but hey, boys will be boys, haha! :shrug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

• Locked thread