Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Cheap as chips too.. Almost dropped a k on a 3d printer here in Australia just 4 months ago. Prices are dropping fast on them though, which is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Their slicer looks pretty cool at the least. There's no way the price is sustainable.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 29, 2014

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

MickRaider posted:

Their slicer looks pretty cool at the least. There's no way the price is sustainable.

Define sustainable?

That is a perfectly acceptable, possibly awesome, way to get hundreds to thousands of test devices completed for virtually no materials cost so that you can perfect your device, process, and procedures for a true commercial deployment. (Also why I always take the last batch in any kick-starter that I chip in to.)

Further these do not include shipping even to the US so actual price is about $50-100 higher then listed

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Once the kickstarters over it'll go up $200-500 like the other insane priced kickstarter printers. I get that kickstarter is basically a beta testing people opt in on, but the prices are so deceiving. Just look at the Buccaneer.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Once the kickstarters over it'll go up $200-500 like the other insane priced kickstarter printers. I get that kickstarter is basically a beta testing people opt in on, but the prices are so deceiving. Just look at the Buccaneer.

And what's wrong with that? People who were willing to put up money for the development/establishment of there production line get a discount, the actual retail product is more expensive.

Also, what's wrong with the Buccaneer?

They had a concept and idea- we can build a printer for this price by using mass production techniques.

They put together a plan, and asked people to participate in the betaing of the product.

They got a lot of money to try it.

They tried it, and it turned out to be far harder then they expected. They still push there three beta runs out (about a year late and counting) and they made significant changes to the design/description that, had they sold a product advertising those specifications, would have landed them in lawsuit land in the commercial world.

I am still holding out hope to get mine delivered, but the timeline continues to slip, and the final product they put out will likely not be that cheap when not through the kickstarter- but without the kickstarter they would never have had the money to make all of those mistakes in the first place and learn what they learned,

Kickstarter is not a way to buy products, its a way to support ideas, concepts, and development. If you just want to buy cheap products- banggood and dx do an acceptable job of delivering value- if you want to be part of the bleeding edge and have something to show for it, but don't have the time, money, skill, equipment, or whatever, to enter into the arena- kickstarter is great.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Ok in another year are we going to see the price of a three d printer fall dramatically?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Well how long realistically before we see them being sold to mass markets?

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Is there anything particularly worrisome about that CraftBot printer?

The specs seem pretty solid and it doesn't look like it would be too terrible for a first printer.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Babygravy posted:

Ok in another year are we going to see the price of a three d printer fall dramatically?

It is and will remain analogous to personal computers, video game consoles, etc etc.

Once it's out of the gate price remains roughly the same but the list of what you get for the money gets longer and better.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

:siren: Do not buy a Kickstarter Printer as your first 3D printer :siren:

It's been discussed many times in the thread, but you get almost no support community, and that's even if they don't just run off with the money without sending you anything. When's the last time you saw a successful Indiegogo project, even? Also Flexible Funding = they have no idea what they are doing.

Not to mention you'll be out a huge sum of money and it'll be months if not years before you see a product. Hell, I backed a router on Kickstarter over a year ago, with a predicted ship date of September 2013, and they're only now starting to ship the initial units.

e2: Misread, it's fixed funding, but I'd still be wary of their shipping times :v:

e: Totally unrelated, but I won like 5 rolls of plastic (including Wood filament and Flexible PLA [which I haven't tried yet]) from MatterHackers, and I have to say their "Pro" ABS has given me more trouble than any other filament I've tried. Warps easy, barely sticks to itself, etc. Not to mention the spools don't even begin to fit on my printer. I miss my cheap eBay filament. :(

Kazy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 30, 2014

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Linux Assassin posted:

And what's wrong with that?

Just getting tired of "$199 3D printer!" advertisements everywhere. I hope you get your printer, sounds like a sore subject.

FYI I have a kickstarter printer. It's not that I'm anti-kickstarter printers, I'm anti-people not asking for enough money to actually cover costs and going under, see makibox.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 30, 2014

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Kazy posted:

:siren: Do not buy a Kickstarter Printer as your first 3D printer :siren:

It's been discussed many times in the thread, but you get almost no support community, and that's even if they don't just run off with the money without sending you anything. When's the last time you saw a successful Indiegogo project, even? Also Flexible Funding = they have no idea what they are doing.

Not to mention you'll be out a huge sum of money and it'll be months if not years before you see a product. Hell, I backed a router on Kickstarter over a year ago, with a predicted ship date of September 2013, and they're only now starting to ship the initial units.

Totally understand your concerns, as I've been burned by some Kickstarters in the past.

CraftBot seems to already have production going though, according to their photo updates on the IndieGogo page. They also aren't Flexible Funding, they're Fixed. Supposedly they are on track to ship units as early as August.

I'm more curious about problems with the design or specs.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm super interested in the CraftBot. You basically have no choice but to trust it based on the information they've shown and how they've presented it (which marketing can make a 1 man operation look like a fortune 500). It's always a risk/reward, and from the videos I think this risk has pretty good odds for the backer. I'm trying to get my company to back it as an experiment kind of. Hopefully I can persuade them.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Just getting tired of "$199 3D printer!" advertisements everywhere. I hope you get your printer, sounds like a sore subject.

FYI I have a kickstarter printer. It's not that I'm anti-kickstarter printers, I'm anti-people not asking for enough money to actually cover costs and going under, see makibox.

I hope I do too.

It's not the subject thats sore, its people who think that 'kickstarter == cheap store' that gets under my skin. Kickstarter, indigogo, etc are micro venture-capital games, and whenever people treat it like its banggood or whatever it drives home terrible messages.

I wish my printer was not so delayed, I am happy to see some of the developments that are coming out of the investment, I hope that the lessons learned by the team are taken to heart by other teams and that the concepts and technology behind 3d printing advance as a result.

If you want to play venture capatalist then Kickstarter is great, if your looking for a 'deal' on a purchase, perhaps not so much.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Finally got the replacement part in for my printrbot simple metal, but I'm having a weird issue when printing. Successive layers after the first seem to grind slightly on the previous plastic layer, scrapping along the top of them.

Absolutely no idea where to start troubleshooting this.

edit: over extrusion possibly? where would I even start on this?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 31, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Cool I had no idea we had a 3d printer thread here.

Anyone have experience with the Form 1+ printer? I am trying to decide between that and the Makerbot. My use for it will be to test out my models before I put them on my shapeways store.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

w00tmonger posted:

Finally got the replacement part in for my printrbot simple metal, but I'm having a weird issue when printing. Successive layers after the first seem to grind slightly on the previous plastic layer, scrapping along the top of them.

Absolutely no idea where to start troubleshooting this.

edit: over extrusion possibly? where would I even start on this?
I'm not sure what you mean by "grind slightly", but if you saying there is poor adhesion between layers then it could be your hotend temp is set too low, or you are printing faster than the hotend can keep up.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Amazon has rolled out a new 3d printing page. For now it's just some bobble heads and other trinkets, but this could be something interesting. How long do you suppose until you can send them a file and have them print it?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

keyframe posted:

Anyone have experience with the Form 1+ printer? I am trying to decide between that and the Makerbot. My use for it will be to test out my models before I put them on my shapeways store.

Get the Form1. Its capabilities much more closely represent what Shapeways is able to do, mostly due to the printing process. Plus, gently caress Makerbot.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

peepsalot posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "grind slightly", but if you saying there is poor adhesion between layers then it could be your hotend temp is set too low, or you are printing faster than the hotend can keep up.

When a new layer extrudes it sounds like the hot end is bumping into the previous layer.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

w00tmonger posted:

When a new layer extrudes it sounds like the hot end is bumping into the previous layer.

Yes, over extrusion can cause that.

To deal with over-extrusion, I would first try calibrating your filament diameter. Measure a few times with calipers, at different angles and different points along the length of the filament and average out your readings. Put that number into your slicer. Be aware that different colors, types of filament from different manufacturers may vary slightly in diameter, or may have more or less variance along their length.

The other thing to check would be your extruder's steps/mm setting. One way to do this is measure say 150mm from the top of the hotend and mark the spot with a marker, then send command to extrude 100mm of filament. Then measure where your marker spot ends up. If the marker spot doesn't end up 50mm away from the top of the hotend, then adjust your extruder steps/mm in your firmware config to compensate proportionally.

e: Another thing that can cause print vs hotend interference is warping of the print. This tends to manifest as corners which are higher than the rest of the print, and is more common on prints with a large footprint. Warping like this can typically be alleviated by adding more "brim" in your slicer.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 31, 2014

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Will try all this when I get home.

On a side note, I have a bit of a catch 22. I have the filament from the starter kit, and a spool of blue pla, but no holder to feed either of them. Is there a best way to set the spool up to print a holder, without a holder? I'm worried that its going to tangle if I leave it overnight.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

w00tmonger posted:

Will try all this when I get home.

On a side note, I have a bit of a catch 22. I have the filament from the starter kit, and a spool of blue pla, but no holder to feed either of them. Is there a best way to set the spool up to print a holder, without a holder? I'm worried that its going to tangle if I leave it overnight.

I just made my spool holder out of PVC pipes from the hardware store.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

keyframe posted:

Not even a debate. Get the Form1.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Locus posted:

I just made my spool holder out of PVC pipes from the hardware store.

Is it practical to just sit a spool sideways and run from lit like that? I guess what Im getting at is I want to make one off of a pattern, but want to be able to leave it overnight without it tangling/breaking

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
No, you definitely want the spool to unwind as you print. Laying it flat and pulling filament off will introduce twist, which can cause all sorts of issues.

I'd rig up something with a stick, some tape, and books. Then print yourself a nice spool holder!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

insta posted:

Get the Form1. Its capabilities much more closely represent what Shapeways is able to do, mostly due to the printing process. Plus, gently caress Makerbot.

Is there something about makerbot I should know about? Are they a lovely company?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

keyframe posted:

There's something about makerbot... lovely company!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
They're the ones that sued everyone

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Their latest printers are also bug ridden and crappy. Somehow their quality got worse.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I just watched the replicator 2 video on their site with their douche ceo and I never wanted to punch someone so hard in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o6pcbhylmQ

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Perhaps they're bitter that wanhao has created such good copies of their printers that make a profit at half the price.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

keyframe posted:

I just watched the replicator 2 video on their site with their douche ceo and I never wanted to punch someone so hard in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o6pcbhylmQ

I really used to like Bre back when he was with Make Magazine, but now he really is just a puppet and the "face" of MakerBot for the big company that bought MakerBot a few years ago.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
I met Bre at an event last week:

He was two entirely different people: Aloof and kind of a jerk if anyone "important" was around (IE, potential investor), but completely personable and nice outside that context. We talked shop about founding hackerspaces and "the early days" of of Make.

Zuph fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 1, 2014

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

Zuph posted:

I met Bre at an event last week:

He was two entirely different people: Aloof and kind of a jerk if anyone "important" was around (IE, potential investor), but completely personable and nice outside that context. We talked shop about founding hackerspaces and "the early days" of of Make.

Where did you meet him? That place looks neat!

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

keyframe posted:

Is there something about makerbot I should know about? Are they a lovely company?

I guy I know bought a 5th generation makerbot system and has had nothing but problems with it. Apparently the print head is a monolithic block that isn't designed to be opened up by users so a clogged print nozzle = a dead printer.

He's had it for about two months and is on his 4th or 5th print head last I heard, and he's trying to get them to exchange it for an earlier model with a serviceable nozzle. To give makerbot some credit they did send him free replacement heads the first couple of times.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

So I guess this is a thing now. MakerBots in Home Depot.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
After looking more into Form 1 I am not so sure anymore. Printer sure looks nice but the extra costs are scary. Liter of resin costs 100+$ and you apparently have to replace the tray completely with a new one every 3-4 liters of resin which is another 90$.

What are my other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

codered11343 posted:

Where did you meet him? That place looks neat!

The grand opening for "firstBuild" (https://firstbuild.com/), GE Appliances attempt to harness the energy and ingenuity of the Maker Movement.

Some of the concepts for this space came from upper level management at Appliance Park visiting our hackerspace, and collaborating to host an "Appliance Hackathon" (http://insiderlouisville.com/news/linecook-sinkwasher-take-home-gold-historic-ge-lvl1hackathon/). Most of the rest comes out of their partnership with Local Motors (https://localmotors.com/ They're 3D printing a car right now, seriously).

It's an interesting idea, especially if they manage to actually engage folks without being too restrictive. Their standard contract is reasonably fair, and they've got a lot of great equipment. The folks running the place seem to have a genuine interest in playing nice with local Maker groups, so I'm happy to see where it goes, and ride the wave of positive PR.