Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Shala posted:

Yes 19 please endanger your job for the amusement of faceless internet people.

Number19 posted:

I miss the squawking too. I believe I'm still the only person who you asked to squawk who refused.

As for progress on features or any of that, I don't know and couldn't comment even if I did. I'm a member of the administrative team, not the dev team.
Sorry, I couldn't remember how much info was known about your position/if PGI knows who you are and all that.

I still want to see this firebomb screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Drewjitsu posted:

That's because you're a big fat less fat (good work on the lifting, btw) jerk!

It was a good way to rustle up some goon jimmies and it worked :unsmigghh:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Vorenus posted:

Sorry, I couldn't remember how much info was known about your position/if PGI knows who you are and all that.

I still want to see this firebomb screenshot.

They know I post here. I've never been secretive about it in the slightest.

There's not much to see about the firebomb thing. Someone went all FYAD on the MWO forums and it ended more or less how you'd expect.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Number19 posted:

As for progress on features or any of that, I don't know and couldn't comment even if I did. I'm a member of the administrative team, not the dev team.

Oh ok, so you work for PGI but can't tell us anything about the game.

So... uh, file any good paperwork lately?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

No but I've made lots of improvements and upgrades to the development infrastructure (that I still can't talk about.)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh ok, so you work for PGI but can't tell us anything about the game.

I'm pretty sure almost no game developers allow non-executive employees to talk about what they're doing with outsiders.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Number19 posted:

No but I've made lots of improvements and upgrades to the development infrastructure (that I still can't talk about.)

Oh... ok. That is a cool thing that I'll take your word about.

So how bout them lawsuits? Any come in lately?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I hope by improve, you mean excise!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Locust is still the best mech.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Thinking about what I expected the game to be back before it launched just makes me sad. I mean, the obvious, non-stupid way to do the Clan mechs would be to have Clan invasion matches where players team up against an onslaught of NPC Clan mechs for control of the map. Killing a Clan mech gets you a chance to salvage the chassis, and then you can grind up a bunch of C-bills to refurbish it or drop a few dollars in cash if you're impatient.

Also there would actually be NPCs. And alternate game modes. And some sort of persistent galaxy that gives a reason for the game to be an MMO at all. The actual MechWarrior Online feels like an unfinished prototype of a MechWarrior 5 with a campaign and server-based multiplayer, only the devs ran out of money in early alpha and decided to release the alpha as a lovely F2P MMO to "monetize" whales instead of releasing an actual complete game that normal people would want to buy.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm pretty sure almost no game developers allow non-executive employees to talk about what they're doing with outsiders.

Yes NDAs really exist and I'm very good about adhering to mine :)

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Number19 posted:

Yes NDAs really exist and I'm very good about adhering to mine :)

And is a very good thing for you and your career/family even if you work for the literal devil.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

The actual MechWarrior Online feels like an unfinished prototype of a MechWarrior 5 with a campaign and server-based multiplayer, only the devs ran out of money in early alpha and decided to release the alpha as a lovely F2P MMO to "monetize" whales instead of releasing an actual complete game that normal people would want to buy.

This exactly.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Shot some robots with some goons tonite and it was pretty fun.

The grouping mechanic as well as the UI could use some polish but we got a party up to 8 and were laying waste to some clanners(most hadn't played in awhile and I think noone had bought that godawful cashgrab).

Interesting concept goons in IS mechs fighting against the clans though, kinda felt like fighting off the invasion.

You could definitely tell that there was a lot left to want as far as balance etc, but the feel is not something found in other games.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/166407-clan-vs-is-happening-again/

Haha, they turned on Clan vs IS matching for a couple of hours on the live servers without telling anyone. After 8 pages that alternate between people going "Maybe it would be good if they warned us in advance about tests that make the game unfair" and "Get better :smug:"the community manager shows up:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/166407-clan-vs-is-happening-again/page__view__findpost__p__3597935

And basically goes "Yup, we sure did that thing, thanks!"

PGI are now actively trolling people that didn't pay for clan mechs.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Haha, they turned on Clan vs IS matching for a couple of hours on the live servers without telling anyone. After 8 pages that alternate between people going "Maybe it would be good if they warned us in advance about tests that make the game unfair" and "Get better :smug:"the community manager shows up:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/166407-clan-vs-is-happening-again/page__view__findpost__p__3597935

Niko being a shitler? Well I never!

It's not like he burned out two of his coworkers over at igp who had to deal with his poo poo on a regular basis or anything.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I like how the reasoning is "It's totally testing for FACTION WARFARE guys! Honestly! Right around the corner! You can get you House Introduction Pack with a unique color scheme for your chosen house and a 5% increase in reputation for only $50!"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

I like how the reasoning is "It's totally testing for FACTION WARFARE guys! Honestly! Right around the corner! You can get you House Introduction Pack with a unique color scheme for your chosen house and a 5% increase in reputation for only $50!"

New Gold Plated House Mechs for $500! Get the

Capellan Confederation Vindicator

Draconis Combine Panther

Federated Suns Emperor

Free Rasalhague Republic Beowulf

Free Worlds League Hermes II

Lyran Commonwealth Zeus

All yours for the low low price of $500 per gold plated mech and the priceless feeling of supporting your favorite mech game!

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
This thread really bummed me out. I remember when this game was supposed to be a new Mechwarrior in the 'oldtech' era, and then having the right turn into a World of Tanks deal (not necessarily a bad thing, as I had a lot of fun with Battletech 3025 before EA stuck the knife into that one). I still bought a founders pack and tried it out with the early alpha(?)/beta, but with every change it became less and less what I was looking for, and more the same diluted down money grab, and haven't logged in since. After going through this thread I see no reason to ever reinstall it.

I love Battletech, but goddamn I don't think there will ever be another good game made for it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I saw this thread and for a moment hoped that PGI had managed to turn this around. I miss the Wizard. :(

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Fat Samurai posted:

I saw this thread and for a moment hoped that PGI had managed to turn this around. I miss the Wizard. :(

RIP The Wizard. Lost to us forever in River City.

Also this looks pretty good already. More feature complete than MWO with bots and faction warfare planned soon.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266470/

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, I mean, the game has gotten better than it was at the worst point, but PGI is still PGI. I can kick back with 1-9 of my friends and play rounds again which is the biggest thing, honestly. Not being locked into 4-man squads is what made me even look twice at the game again, because no matter how poo poo PGI is at sensible balancing, they got the stompy feel dead on.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
I have not seen any legitimate goons playing this game.

Edit: Also OP should kill himself for that horrible mess of a first post.

johntherussian fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 1, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Phrosphor posted:

RIP The Wizard. Lost to us forever in River City.

Also this looks pretty good already. More feature complete than MWO with bots and faction warfare planned soon.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266470/

This looks interesting. Do we have any threads for the game so I stop derailing this one?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Fat Samurai posted:

This looks interesting. Do we have any threads for the game so I stop derailing this one?

I don't know of any threads, I just stumbled across it today.

\/\/\/\/\/\/

Steam Page posted:

Currently Implemented Features:

Intense mech based combat. Unleash your firepower and tactics on your opponents. focus your attacks to localize damage to destroy weapons, equipment or even cripple and more readily destroy enemy mechs.

Customize multiple mechs to suit different styles of play or mission types. Choose from 4 different mech classes, 35 different weapons and pieces of equipment, custom paint styles and colors and more. You can employ any of these saved configurations in-game as you play.

Play any mission offline versus bots, in instant action mode.

Or get into the action online against up to 16 other players (per mission)! NOTE: 32 players being worked on.

Earn stats for leaderboards and achievement unlocks in a persistent game environment.

Massive mission environments, with 2-3 zones at launch of early access.

3 games modes including Attrition, Free for All, and Mini-nuke.

Sounds like they might be changing the format for the second game then.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 1, 2014

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

I remember playing the first Dark Horizons game 6 or 7 years ago. It could hardly be called a mech sim (next to no customization outside of weapons), but the multiplayer was fun and the devs seemed to be pretty competent when it came to balancing their game.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, was gonna say that that looks more like MechAssault than Mechwarrior. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, MA was a bunch of fun, but it doesn't quite scratch the same itch. That Chromehounds successor game someone linked looks like it might though.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

The saddest part about the abortion this game has become is how much potential PGI has squandered in their never ending quest to take money from the mentally challenged without ever even pretending to want to try to become competent or deliver content.

Also, I hate you all for this thread because I almost made the mistake of thinking the game was no longer actively being made worse which is in fact still not the case.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fil5000 posted:

A reminder to all that PGI actually has a test server, but they simply never ever use it and when they do it's for like 2 hours during the workday instead of over the weekend.

Phrosphor posted:

A reminder that one of the hooks for Project Phoenix was the mechs came with a 5% increase in ~loyalty points~ because CW was just around the corner. They actually told people out loud with a straight face that it was going to drop soon at that stupid launch party.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

The Gate posted:

Yeah, was gonna say that that looks more like MechAssault than Mechwarrior. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, MA was a bunch of fun, but it doesn't quite scratch the same itch. That Chromehounds successor game someone linked looks like it might though.

Curiosity got the best of me and I tried Dark Horizons out this afternoon. Here are some initial thoughts:

Pros:
  • Decent customization options. There are not as many options as MWO (IE: armor for individual parts) but it still has a bunch of options for weapons, utility equipment, power supplies ect... You can also do custom paint schemes without paying $13 a color.
  • The maps seem way bigger than MWO, with bases for each team that players can repair and re-arm mid game. Also repair points scattered throughout the maps that teams can capture.
  • There seems to be a much bigger emphasis on limb damage. Weapons have their own armor values outside of the mech's actual armor. This means if you throw a poo poo load of low armor medium lasers on your slow immobile heavy mech more than likely some small fast mech is going to leave you weaponless in the middle of nowhere.
  • The dev's seem really dedicated, and have a road map for development that they seem to be basing completely on user feedback.
  • Destructible trees! Big rear end mechs clipping through entire forests is the worst...

Cons:
  • At the moment movement is super janky and un-polished feeling. The animations don't quite sync up and the whole experience doesn't feel as fluid as it should.
  • Some of the sound effects are hilariously bad and have hosed up levels of volume. Literal PEW PEW PEW for lasers.
  • First person but no cockpit view.
  • There are almost no populated servers. They do have bots that can be used on multiplayer servers and single player instant action.
  • Noticeably early access. Lots of placeholders in menus and coming soon's.

This game has some cool ideas and neat solutions to issues that were pretty glaring in MWO. At the moment though I couldn't recommend it to anyone, as there is almost nobody playing this.

That being said the devs seem really active and are sticking to deadlines and listening to the community for feedback. Most of my cons list is addressed in the development road map, and if they stick to all their planned features and fixes this could shape up into a solid mech game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
But I thought we would never a good mech game again for at least 20 years unless we threw our money at PGI. They were the only game in town so there was no choice.

I was lied to!!!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Well well well, what have we here.

You clowns are still playing this game?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Technically speaking I am "retained" according to PGI yes.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Participating in my first Private Match. They are hilariously fun and customizable, unfortunately making one means giving cash to PGI.

e: both sides have to have guys running premium time also building duellers is awesome.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 2, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks to some horrible jerk linking this thread, I'm thinking of patching and becoming one of the "retained ones". Or kill myself. To be determined.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

BULBASAUR posted:

Why do you always get the best avatars

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Game's somewhat ok, but it can end rather quickly because of 12 vs 12 and clan mechs. And you'll die lot faster thanks to clan mechs with high alpha damage.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chronojam posted:

Why do you always get the best avatars

Because he is a pokemon.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If I post in this thread does that mean PGI gets to count me as part of their retained players statistic?

(gently caress You Paul)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Yes.

• Locked thread