Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Obviously, the free-spirited woman will say things like "God is everywhere" and "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual." She will also know the ways of the flesh, or at least, know of the ways of the flesh. And she might believe things like "women can work too" or that "Women and men are equals!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Could the studio get away with Life of Brian today without a major media firestorm?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Well they didn't get away with it without a massive media backlash back then so.

E: I mean, a British studio would probably still get away with it, we really don't care about religion quite the way America does.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Could the studio get away with Life of Brian today without a major media firestorm?

When South Park did the whole Jesus pooping joke, a lot of people were up in arms because they were making fun of Jesus, so no.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Well they didn't get away with it without a massive media backlash back then so.

E: I mean, a British studio would probably still get away with it, we really don't care about religion quite the way America does.

Not even in Britain, actually!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cemetry Gator posted:

When South Park did the whole Jesus pooping joke, a lot of people were up in arms because they were making fun of Jesus, so no.

On the other hand movies like Religulous that are actively antagonistic and mocking of religion get wide releases, one of the most popular shows on network television in the 00s starred a character that was explicitly an atheist, and one of the biggest new musicals of the decade is a deliberate farce of Christianity.

Mocking Christians for having a persecution complex while simultaneously acting like it's still the 1950s is really silly.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If a group as popular as Monty Python existed today they could make Life as Brian. Sadly the closest to that is the book off Mormon.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Mocking Christians for having a persecution complex while simultaneously acting like it's still the 1950s is really silly.

Yeah, the fairly recent expansion of Christian cinema from a relatively ignored niche market to a full blown mainstream cycle seems to be explicitly oppositional to a society that - in spite of the rise of the Moral Majority since the 1980s - really has undergone some pretty significant secularization.

With Old Fashioned, for instance. There were always people who moaned about the decline in romantic standards in modern society, but most mainstream romantic films these days, even if they're superficially about 'true love' or 'finding the One,' are pretty uniformly apathetic to agape - unconditional love - as opposed to eros - which is merely the sense of being in love.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

No sillier than the second biggest religion in the world pretending it's in danger of being wiped out, I would say.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To a fundamentalist conservative, literally any change made in society that doesn't meet your approval is an encroachment, no matter how minor it may seem.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their siege mentality is an essential part of their identity. Fundamentalists spout that same poo poo even when they control every aspect of a culture or government. They need to believe in their own immanent destruction or else they lose control. Just look at the way cults behave, or North Korea.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Their siege mentality is an essential part of their identity. Fundamentalists spout that same poo poo even when they control every aspect of a culture or government. They need to believe in their own immanent destruction or else they lose control. Just look at the way cults behave, or North Korea.

They don't need to believe in immanent destruction, but more that they are surrounded by enemies. If you look at North Korea, for example, they portray themselves as inevitable victors of the world, it's just that everybody hates them because they are so awesome and Kim Jong Un is like the best leader ever. But don't worry, they'll beat back the foreign invaders.

Honestly, it's really just distrust and possibly paranoia. The hard-core Christians just don't trust mainstream society.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
If we're talking strictly cultural products like films or television or music the contradictions are obvious even in places where spiritual fundamentals are advertised as being held in high regard.

Country music is steeped in revivalist Christian imagery, but there's no less objectification of women. Not that fundamentalists don't also reduce the woman to a fetishistic object, but leering shots of blonde country gals in cut-off denims are pretty antithetical to the very specific kind of objectification that occurs within an abstinence-only framework that denigrates lust. The conspicuous consumption of provocative clothing itself - while also loaded with gendered expectations - is also related to the expanding autonomy of women as consumers whose fashion is no longer strictly beholden to what the patriarch deems acceptable. This is also not fundamentalist.

Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan both sang about the imminence of Christ's judgment. They also both sang about being Devil may care reprobates without a single shred of sarcasm. Yes, there's a culture of sustained repression in fundamentalist religion - but it's not repression of nothing.

With film, Hollywood has never given the slightest poo poo about religion in any substantial sense. Even cats like Cecil B. DeMille who made their names with big budget, prestigious epics from The Ten Commandments to Sign of the Cross were routinely criticized by censorship groups for exploiting religion to load his films with salacious content that otherwise would be seen as obviously obscene and sacrilegious. Now, anti-Semitism always had something to do with the suspicion of Hollywood, but traditionally the way of engaging Hollywood was either censorship - not the presence of religious content, but controlling the absence of 'obscenity' - or attempting collective disengagement, such as boycotting.

Was there independent fundamentalist content? Sure! But it was always marginal to a culture that, once again, largely ignored the question of the contradiction between secular and fundamentalist values entirely. Fundamentalists are ignorant, but they're not stupid. They understand that Hollywood is about the bottom-line. The significant change is that you see more fundamentalists earnestly exploiting modern technology, fund-raising, and production means to pose a direct challenge to the dominant narrative of spiritual apathy which absolutely permeates the vast majority of available content. For every Passion of the Christ there is Dogma. For every Son of God (which isn't strictly a fundamentalist film, though it catered directly to this audience) there's Noah. And for every Old Fashioned, there's Friends With Benefits and No Strings Attached and That Awkward Moment, etc., etc.

Like ...of SCIENCE! said, it's silly to act like fundamentalists always have the deck stacked in their favor. The structural gains fundamentalists have made are undeniable, but the place you see it the least is in our entertainment. Hell, part of what makes the Moral Majority persecution complex so hilarious is that it is specifically because of the thorough secularization of society - and the liberal incentive towards ideological pluralism - that has allowed them to roll back the clock while secularists can only throw up their hands in exasperation and wonder why theocrats can't be as tolerant of us as we are of them. The problem isn't that our society isn't basically secular. It's that secularism isn't enough.

Meanwhile, there is a show coming to Adult Swim called Black Jesus. Is this not the Life of Brian of our time?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

K. Waste posted:

Meanwhile, there is a show coming to Adult Swim called Black Jesus. Is this not the Life of Brian of our time?

Aaron McGruder tends to be more miss than hit when it comes to satire, so it's hard to say until the show actually comes on.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

raditts posted:

Aaron McGruder tends to be more miss than hit when it comes to satire, so it's hard to say until the show actually comes on.

It's not particularly relevant whether it's good satire or not. My question was rhetorical of whether or not there is any absence of mainstream content that is openly critical of or apathetic towards religion, or at least fundamentalism. If there is no absence, and if in fact apathetic/critical/secular content is over-represented within the culture, then this leads me to conclude that fundamentalist content is oppositional, rather than dominant. Changing sociopolitical structures are one thing; but expression through cultural products by and large is still increasingly pluralistic and, thus, secular.

I'm not disputing what I see as yours, Gladney, and Hundu's accurate assessment of the persecution complex of the Moral Majority. I'm rejecting the insinuation that this delusion is not reciprocated by an apathetic dominant media culture as reductionist and historically inaccurate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The fringe, no matter what it may be, is good ink. You'll never have a slow news day. We love cranks!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The fringe, no matter what it may be, is good ink. You'll never have a slow news day. We love cranks!

Exactly. But exploitation is not the same as unconditional acceptance or cultural legitimization.

"Why do so many Black Americans have such a chip on their shoulder about media representation? Aren't they over-represented relative to other minority groups? We're not racist; we love Black people!"

The closest our media cultural comes to tacitly legitimizing fundamentalist morality is the evidence of television programs and films which involve unwanted pregnancy but don't treat abortion as a legitimate solution. But even in these cases, more often then not, the problem is total secular apathy to the empowerment of women and the ethical dilemma created by an unwanted pregnancy, as opposed to an endorsement of a fundamentalist spiritual morality. The Secret Life of the American Teenager only seems fundamentalist until you consider that it's contemporaneous with Knocked Up, Juno, Away We Go, and What to Expect When You're Expecting. These are not fundamentalist programs; apathy is not fundamentalism.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The whole point of this thread is that fundamentalists have established their own parallel culture and media. They don't engage the fallen world: they make their own bubble and stay inside. Jerry Falwell said a few years before he died that his side lost the culture war. What he meant was that they were retreating back behind the walls of their own communities to have their own universities, businesses, and media.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

K. Waste posted:

If we're talking strictly cultural products like films or television or music the contradictions are obvious even in places where spiritual fundamentals are advertised as being held in high regard...:words:

Everything you brought up about mainstream culture is right, and even the things who pay lip service to Christianity aren't really quite what the devout care to consume, and is flagrantly opposed to even some of the more basic tenets laid out in the New Testament.

With that said, mainstream music, moves, etc. that pander to Christians are pandering to a very specific kind of Christian, and I hate to use this word but it's basically for apostate Christians who use Christianity as a group identity without really giving a drat about the spiritual or lifestyle elements. To them it's okay to sing about whiskey in bars eyein' up the gal in the daisy dukes. That stuff is for a southern crowd who basically can't have very many friends without paying some lip service to it all. It's not for more serious believers to consume as Good Wholesome Christian Content, and if Nashville and Hollywood think they're actually doing that, they're fools.

The truth is, for the most part truly religious media is almost an invisible market to anyone who isn't interested in it. The stuff hardcore "keep the culture pure" Christains are listening to doesn't get much radio play, the movies they watch rarely ever get wide releases, which is why when they do, it's an insane bank-breaking affair. Evangelical media usually isn't good enough to pass the wide release bar.

edit: The reason for this is almost all of the music is light instrumentation; chorus, verse, chorus, verse music with three chords, lasts 8 minutes, and is for worship. The lyrics can be summed up as "God is awesome" and there is very little variation amongst all the music. Some Christian artists are genuinely talented but are very much held back by the producers and labels who publish to them and find their audience. It's almost all very cookie cutter in a way the United States hasn't seen since The Beatles made music interesting.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 3, 2014

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Jack Gladney posted:

The whole point of this thread is that fundamentalists have established their own parallel culture and media. They don't engage the fallen world: they make their own bubble and stay inside. Jerry Falwell said a few years before he died that his side lost the culture war. What he meant was that they were retreating back behind the walls of their own communities to have their own universities, businesses, and media.

Fair enough. I think I understand your point better now. I still think it's important to emphasize that parallel culture is oppositional, though. I think the Life of Brian tangent lead me to misread your and others positions as basically cynical about the religious critical/apathetic media, but I see now that that was jumping the gun.

hemophilia posted:

With that said, mainstream music, moves, etc. that pander to Christians are pandering to a very specific kind of Christian, and I hate to use this word but it's basically for apostate Christians who use Christianity as a group identity without really giving a drat about the spiritual or lifestyle elements. To them it's okay to sing about whiskey in bars eyein' up the gal in the daisy dukes. That stuff is for a southern crowd who basically can't have very many friends without paying some lip service to it all. It's not for more serious believers to consume as Good Wholesome Christian Content, and if Nashville and Hollywood think they're actually doing that, they're fools.

The truth is, for the most part truly religious media is almost an invisible market to anyone who isn't interested in it. The stuff hardcore "keep the culture pure" Christains are listening to doesn't get much radio play, the movies they watch rarely ever get wide releases, which is why when they do, it's an insane bank-breaking affair. Evangelical media usually isn't good enough to pass the wide release bar.

By this same token, then, we could do with expanding the discussion of this thread, which is in general about Christian movies, beyond strictly fundamentalist fare. Sure, there's lots of art that's terrible because of its narrow, fundamentalist worldview. I have a feeling, though, that there's way more terrible art that is just showing out for a spiritual moral perspective that isn't genuine at all.

Coming up in Catholic High School, for instance, A Walk to Remember was used by one of our theology teachers to teach us about agape.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's not a big thread and I should probably read back, but I just want to ask real quickly: was Man of Steel brought up in this thread? I don't think it's a terrible movie, I find it rather good and interesting, but it was created or at the very least marketed with Christians in mind. Warner Bros. contracted Grace Hill Media, a firm specialized on targeting Christian communities, to do it's faith-based marketing for them and I find that very interesting because that's a part of the movie that's not been focused on at all where I live. Am I completely off mark for bringing this up in this thread?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

When it comes to Superman I think the messianic parallels are all but inevitable.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
True, but having them marketed strongly towards Christian communities is a new thing to me.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
What's funny is that Man of Steel is, typical of a Superman origin story, specifically one of a messianic immigrant. And an immigrant of a colonial culture, no less. Zod and his terraforming allies, at least to me, clearly represent the perception of the U.S. as a neocolonial regime, but in making explicit his plans to build a new Krypton from the rubble and bones of 'Metropolis,' he also represents theocratic extremism.

Clark represents the Islamic immigrant who was 'already here,' but who suffers retroactively from the ignorance of a few extremists who are literally the last vestiges of a culture that was consumed by its own ignorance. The smart thing about the movie is that, though Clark is ultimately forced to kill Zod, he is totally remorseful about it. He's not a part of the post-9/11 furor to route out 'Kryptonian' culture and, in fact, totally rejects the U.S. military's attempt to profile him. The movie is a rather traditional liberal narrative about how the virtues of a immigrant culture ultimately outweigh the potentially corrupting influence of extremism. It just happens to be slightly better at doing this.

I'm not shocked that WB has attempted to capitalize on the messianic imagery of Man of Steel, but apparently it hasn't worked quite as well as they hoped with Christian critics: http://www.charismanews.com/culture/40058-is-man-of-steel-superman-christ-like-or-more-like-the-anti-christ

quote:

In fact, “he is the anti-Christ,” as the Rev. Thomas Reese, a Jesuit priest and commentator for National Catholic Reporter, tweeted after he saw the movie. In Man of Steel, Reese wrote, “Superpowers, not love, conquers [sic] evil. Bash the bad guy, don’t turn cheek.”

Or as Jackson Cuidon put it in his Man of Steel review in Christianity Today, a leading evangelical magazine: “Superman … is there mostly to satiate that part of the American psyche that wants their messiahs to punch things, too.”

... And there are others, like Religion News Service blogger Jonathan Merritt, who wonder if all the targeted marketing “represents another step forward in the commodification of Christianity.”

Rather, Superman’s real sin, for some Christians, is that he resorts to violence to accomplish his goals—namely, killing his enemy, the evil General Zod.

That was new, and it broke what comic book fans traditionally call “the rule” of the superhero ethos: Thou shalt not kill, even though you can.

The very point of Superman, in particular, was that he always found a solution without killing, which would have been so easy for him to do. He was a role model in making the right moral choice, not using force to win the day. This Superman “blasted a hole in the traditional moral code of the character,” as religion writer Jeff Weiss put it in a Real Clear Religion essay.

Moreover, in Man of Steel, Superman’s interminable battles with Zod devastate Metropolis, leaving untold thousands dead but with no real reckoning—moral or otherwise—for the lives lost. “Disaster Porn,” one critic called the film.

“Don’t sit there and tell me I can compare this character to Jesus,” said Parnell, who reviewed the film for the Religious Herald. “Harry Potter is a better messianic figure than this Superman is.

“From everything shown to us from the moment he put on the suit, Superman rarely if ever bothered to give the safety and welfare of the people around him one bit of thought,” Mark Waid, a leading comic book writer and Superman expert, put it in a blistering online essay that has generated wide interest in the comics community.

Joe Carter, writing at The Gospel Coalition site, argues that the otherwise flawed Man of Steel does have a redeeming quality in that in just a few minutes of screen time Clark Kent’s Kansas dad, Jonathan Kent—played affectingly by Kevin Costner—displays the quiet strength and “unconditional, self-sacrificial love” that the Jesus of the Bible did.

“Superman may be the man of steel,” Carter writes, “but his earthbound father shows us what it really means to be Christ-figure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Those are some surprising reactions considering the people in Christian communities who (in my experience) are looking forward to the end of days. I had no idea that anyone was unclear on how that whole thing is supposed to turn out.

Then again I grew up Seventh-Day Adventist so my experience may be a bit skewed.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

raditts posted:

Those are some surprising reactions considering the people in Christian communities who (in my experience) are looking forward to the end of days. I had no idea that anyone was unclear on how that whole thing is supposed to turn out.

Then again I grew up Seventh-Day Adventist so my experience may be a bit skewed.

You're experiences are pretty skewed. The reality is that everyone's experience with Christianity is skewed by the area you grew up in and what you were exposed to.

For example, you don't really get that whole "Yay, end of days" vibe from most Catholics. At least, there's not really a large percentage saying "It's going to happen soon." In fact, much of the Catholicism I've been exposed to is focused on doing our best today and living righteously.

And it highlights the problem with Christian Media. There's no ubiquitous Christian front. There are your Rod and Todd types, sure. But there are also Christians who are on Something Awful. Stephen Colbert is a devout Catholic in real life. Van Morrison sung both about God and making love in the green grass with a brown eyed-girl. There's just no single Christian identity that permeates throughout our entire culture.

There's a very specific branch of Christianity that this media is aimed for. These are the people who lack agency. God is responsible for everything good in their life, such as the pizza arriving in 30 minutes or less, or for your favorite movie being on the TV, and blame the devil for everything bad, like when your pizza doesn't have the loving pepperoni you loving ordered and explicitly asked for, or when your favorite movie is preempted because of a sporting event. That's why a lot of Christian media is very simple in this black and white way. God makes everything good, and if it isn't, then you just got to pray harder.

But for a lot of Christians out there, that's bullshit. That's not the way they view their life. When I go to one of my friends, who comes from a very deeply Baptist background, for advice, she doesn't start preaching at me. She has yet to tell me that I need to pray more. Her advice is based on reality. Except when she tells me that I should get a girlfriend. Which inevitably turns into her complaining about how long she's been single and how she hasn't had a date in forever. It's like, how am I supposed to help her with...

poo poo.

I'll finish this post later guys. I may have had a revelation.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Cemetry Gator posted:

But for a lot of Christians out there, that's bullshit. That's not the way they view their life. When I go to one of my friends, who comes from a very deeply Baptist background, for advice, she doesn't start preaching at me. She has yet to tell me that I need to pray more. Her advice is based on reality. Except when she tells me that I should get a girlfriend. Which inevitably turns into her complaining about how long she's been single and how she hasn't had a date in forever. It's like, how am I supposed to help her with...

poo poo.

I hope you don't mind if I imagine this song playing as you drive down a rainy highway, intercut with her just getting in the taxi to the airport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOWX2-l788A

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I'm not gonna read this entire thread because why would I do that but I'm interested if there are any religious films with actual artistry besides The Last Temptation, The Ten Commandments or Ben-Hur? You know, movies you could consider to be some of the best of all time and have universal appeal. I don't mean movies with just religious themes but movies that are actually set in biblical times. Is the BBC miniseries from '77 any good?

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 5, 2014

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.

DARPA Dad posted:

I'm not gonna read this entire thread because why would I do that but I'm interested if there are any religious films with actual artistry besides The Last Temptation, The Ten Commandments or Ben-Hur? You know, movies you could consider to be some of the best of all time and have universal appeal. I don't mean movies with just religious themes but movies that are actually set in biblical times. Is the BBC miniseries from '77 any good?

Arguably Passion of the Christ. It probably wouldn't fit alongside the movies you listed, but at least it's far more of an actual film than e.g. God's Not Dead.

Even more arguably, Life of Brian.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Pier Paolo Pasolini's The Gospel According to St. Matthew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEs4g9A9HGc

Catherine Hardwicke (yes, the director of the first Twilight... and Thirteen and Lords of Dogtown) also did a pretty fine version of The Nativity Story.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I really enjoyed Noah, but I wouldn't call it "one of the best of all time". The retelling of Creation and the Fall is powerful, though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The pinnacle of Christian music, and perhaps Christian media in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnzcZj_8DM0

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

DStecks posted:

That's the least enthusiastic "Move your body/ c'mon y'all" I've ever heard. Beyond that... I'm just amazed that somebody can make music that is so tuneless and rhythmless that it defies all understanding. Like, how do you not hear the obvious problems.

Also, I'm convinced the first verse is just a list of his sexual conquests.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There seems to be a whole mess of terrible metalcore bands that are christian and really popular for some reason. I guess the religion and the straight edge makes all the angry shouting and heavy music okay.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Probably more money in religious music in general right now than mainstream rock, sadly

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Aside from that sociopath in As I Lay Dying who admitted the band exploited Christian imagery to sell records, I don't see a lot of Christian hardcore that's really excessively patronizing. Though I'm sure I could find it if I bothered to look. I used to really hate the trend in metalcore towards Christian teen audiences, but then I kind of came to this point where I was like, "Well, does the religious subtext really make the music any more loud or obnoxious than it already is?" People using aggressive music to be able to 'shout' their beliefs is part-and-parcel with the genre.

There's some legitimately good Christian punk, Flatfoot 56 being a prime example. And if anything I've seen far more examples of metalcore bands that are just generically bad, while the Christian ones seem to actually try to distinguish themselves by, you know, actually trying to compose good music.

There's tons of great music that's steeped in religious imagery. Why not heavy metal or hardcore? One of Black Sabbath's best songs is specifically rebuking its listener for incredulously dismissing religious morality.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

hemophilia posted:

Evangelical media usually isn't good enough to pass the wide release bar.

What I always found really interesting when I was a consumer of Christian music, was that when the media was good enough, it was the Christian fanbase itself that actively attacked it for any reason it could think of. "Sounds too secular" "Not joyful enough" "Dwells on the sinful nature" or whatever reason you have. It's like Stryper - They got crapped on by secular media for being too cheesy and Jesus-y and they got crapped on by Christians for trying too hard to fit in with the secular world. I've read enough blogs and interviews by the guys in the band to know that they were really, really sincere and just wanted to reach as many people as they could with a positive Christian message. Also coming to mind is King's X, a band of Christians rather than a Christian band, where the lead singer admitted that he was struggling with homosexuality but he was doing right by god by remaining celibate, and trying to set an example for others like him. Didn't matter, tons of their Christian fans immediately ex-communicated them while their secular fans laughed at them for participating in religious nonsense.

Basically you have to be a boring lovely fuddy duddy cliché to be embraced by the Evangelical fanbase, and it leads to art that just sucks.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

DStecks posted:

That's not DC Talk.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hail Satan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Old religious film really fascinates me. Here's a crazy public domain film from the 60's about a Communist takeover. If Footmen Tire You, What Will Horses Do? This is crossposted from the movie poster thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5o_LwqX77I

And here's a highlight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ko926itZ4

• Locked thread