Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Solice Kirsk posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-eater

It goes to show that we're still part of the food chain no matter how advanced we get.

This was a few pages back but here's a quote from the article:

"Although not true carnivores, pigs are competent predators and can kill and eat helpless humans unable to escape them."

:stare:
Guess you better hope you don't trip and fall in a pig pen.

Speaking of man eating here's an article that has a list of all the big cat attacks on people from 1990-2014

http://bigcatrescue.org/big-cat-attacks/

Most of the article can be boiled down to irresponsible people trying to keep a tiger as a pet, but some of them are crazy:

quote:

An unidentified man, fuelled by booze, decided that it would be a really good idea to climb into the tiger’s enclosure and give him a hug. The tiger didn’t think so and bit him on the arm. Director Shilo denied that the zoo was able to prevent a determined person from getting into the animal cages.

Of course it's Russia.

Ebola Roulette has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

rayne503 posted:

This was a few pages back but here's a quote from the article:

"Although not true carnivores, pigs are competent predators and can kill and eat helpless humans unable to escape them."

Guess you better hope you don't trip and fall in a pig pen.

From the source article:

quote:

The murder of Raccosta was allegedly led by Simone Pepe, 24, a rival gangster, who was arrested this week.

He described the killing in chilling terms to a friend in a telephone conversation that was intercepted by police.

“It was satisfying to hear him scream...Mamma mia, how he squealed, but I couldn’t give a s---. Someone said a few bits of him remained at the end of it all, but I couldn’t see anything, for me nothing remained at all. I said, wow, how a pig can eat!”

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Articles like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future unnerve me a lot more than stuff about serial killers and the like. Just reading about all these events that are due to happen millions of years into the future that will render everything done by every person everywhere irrelevant isn't pleasant to think about.

Though I suppose it could stop you from worrying about whether or not someone feels sympathy for Jeffrey Dahmer because one day there will be no evidence that you, Jeffrey Dahmer and the concept of sympathy even existed.

I had been kinda unnerved by the whole end of the universe bits that I hadn't scrolled down further until now when I was just giving it a second look, and there's some pretty cool poo poo about spacecraft in there that I never knew before, such as:

50,000- Earliest opportunity to receive any reply to the Arecibo message, assuming no superluminal communication.
1 million- On the Moon, Neil Armstrong's "one small step" footprint at Tranquility Base will erode by this time, along with those left by all twelve Apollo moonwalkers, due to the accumulated effects of space weathering.
8 million- The LAGEOS satellites' orbits will decay, and they will re-enter Earth's atmosphere, carrying with them a message to any far future descendants of humanity, and a map of the continents as they are expected to appear then.
1 billion- Estimated lifespan of the two Voyager Golden Records, before the information stored on them is rendered unrecoverable.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

kittenmittons posted:

Speaking of terrible crimes in Indiana, here's one from my hometown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shanda_Sharer

A bunch of teenage girls kidnap, torture, burn alive, and murder a 12 year old girl. Yeah, it's pretty much as depressing and unnerving as it sounds. :smith:

More depressing: The father of the ringleader raped and tortured his wife, daughters, and other children, which came out during the trial, but because of a statute of limitations he couldn't be prosecuted on anything except one small charged. He was in prison for only two years.

So on the sympathy thing: The girl who was the ringleader in murdering another girl was herself raped over and over by her father. Is it okay to feel sympathy for her for being raped over and over by her father? Because I feel pretty bad for her being raped over and over by her father.

In other scariness from that same case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Camm

One of the investigating officers on that case was later suspected, arrested, and tried three times for the murder of his own family. The prosecution got witnesses to perjure themselves, hid evidence, and one of the prosecutors was an attorney for another main suspect.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Obdicut posted:

More depressing: The father of the ringleader raped and tortured his wife, daughters, and other children, which came out during the trial, but because of a statute of limitations he couldn't be prosecuted on anything except one small charged. He was in prison for only two years.

So on the sympathy thing: The girl who was the ringleader in murdering another girl was herself raped over and over by her father. Is it okay to feel sympathy for her for being raped over and over by her father? Because I feel pretty bad for her being raped over and over by her father.

One of the investigating officers on that case was later suspected, arrested, and tried three times for the murder of his own family. The prosecution got witnesses to perjure themselves, hid evidence, and one of the prosecutors was an attorney for another main suspect.

The fact that there's still states with statutes of limitations on child rape is the most :psyduck: thing ever. What the gently caress.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

13Pandora13 posted:

The fact that there's still states with statutes of limitations on child rape is the most :psyduck: thing ever. What the gently caress.

And apparently really loving short statues of limitation, if this case is anything to go on. :psyduck:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

LaughMyselfTo posted:

And apparently really loving short statues of limitation, if this case is anything to go on. :psyduck:

No, the provable stuff happened way back when; Melinda refused to admit that her father had ever raped her even though there was plenty of other testimony that he did, and that it was completely acknowledged he did incredibly sick poo poo like smelling his daughter's underwear in front of them to humiliate them. Completely and utterly sick gently caress. His wife tried to kill herself a lot, too. Basically, of the things they could charge him with--with the siblings that weren't 'tainted' by severe mental instability or refusal to testify--were all from a long time ago, during Melissa's infancy.

It's all an absolutely horrible case, but the worse part is the biggest villain, the father, walked free after two years in jail even after utterly ruining so many lives.

Oh, and if no one's seen "Beautiful Creatures", you should.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Gordon Shumway posted:

I had been kinda unnerved by the whole end of the universe bits that I hadn't scrolled down further until now when I was just giving it a second look, and there's some pretty cool poo poo about spacecraft in there that I never knew before, such as:
The end-o'-the-universe tidbit that gave me shivers is from Future of an Expanding Universe, and what will happen if protons do not decay as theorized, causing matter to simply evaporate in 10^40 years:

quote:

In a timescale of approximately 10^65 years, apparently rigid objects such as rocks will be able to rearrange their atoms and molecules via quantum tunnelling, behaving as a liquid does, but more slowly.
On this scale, quantum tunneling will inevitably cause chemical bonds to collapse, and everything ever built, ever made, every mountain, every rock, will eventually melt into formless spheres of atomic slag.

And so castles made of sand melt into the sea, eventually.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yeah, stuff about the heat death of the universe just makes me feel really uneasy. The timescale of the universe seems infinite, but like anything else it will spend the majority of it's time decaying into nothing. :smith:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

wyoming posted:

Yeah, stuff about the heat death of the universe just makes me feel really uneasy. The timescale of the universe seems infinite, but like anything else it will spend the majority of it's time decaying into nothing. :smith:

If it makes you feel better, the timescales such predictions deal in are so massive that they'd might as well be infinity to the human mind, and the predictions are based on our rather sketchy understanding of quantum mechanics.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe, I mean honestly we've only been studying subatomic stuff for a couple short decades and we've barely touched the surface on what things really are like in the deepest chasms of the quantum world. Maybe the universe does decay into wavelengths and noise but maybe it doesn't. Maybe its not really a closed system like we think, maybe there's some hereto unobserved quirk of subatomic magic that causes the universe to go all Big Bang every couple sextillion years, hell, maybe entropy doesn't really work like we think it does. Humanity has been poking holes at the universe for millennia and we've been dead wrong 99% of the time, who's to say we're right about this? And even if we are mostly right, its not beyond imagination that we find a way, in the countless eons between then and now, to 'fix' it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seems like the chances of humanity surviving long enough for any of that to matter should be incredibly small.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We have already proven to be an extinction event and therefore probably an evolutionary dead end. That might be why we've never seen any aliens: intelligence is an ecological disaster like a meteor strike or really bad ice age.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

kittenmittons posted:

A bunch of teenage girls kidnap, torture, burn alive, and murder a 12 year old girl. Yeah, it's pretty much as depressing and unnerving as it sounds. :smith:

I'm about six months older than that girl was. If she were still alive she'd probably be making the same anachronistic pop culture references that I do.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Basebf555 posted:

Seems like the chances of humanity surviving long enough for any of that to matter should be incredibly small.

I see it the opposite way. Assuming humanity survives that long, then given the rapid progression of technology we've seen even only recently, we should be able to stop it by then. :unsmith:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I see it the opposite way. Assuming humanity survives that long, then given the rapid progression of technology we've seen even only recently, we should be able to stop it by then. :unsmith:

We'd probably just go to a different galaxy in a different dimension that was young and full of potential energy.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I find this really spooky. What if you're eating a watermelon but it's really a vampire?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_pumpkins_and_watermelons

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

We'd probably just go to a different galaxy in a different dimension that was young and full of potential energy.

But what happens when we run that galaxy dry? And the one after? We're the man stuck in a rainy grove, running between trees as each becomes too soaked for shelter. We might someday be able to reverse entropy, but until then we still have insufficient data for a meaningful answer.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Sebastian Vettel posted:

I find this really spooky. What if you're eating a watermelon but it's really a vampire?

I love the detail that they chase victims but aren't very good at it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Welp never sleeping again :stare:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Okan170 posted:

I love the detail that they chase victims but aren't very good at it.

"The gathered pumpkins stir all by themselves and make a sound like 'brrrl, brrrl, brrrl!' and begin to shake themselves...These pumpkins and melons go round the houses, stables, and rooms at night, all by themselves, and do harm to people. But it is thought that they cannot do great damage to folk, so people are not very afraid of this kind of vampire."

These sound like the cutest vampire vegetables ever.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

"ibntumart" posted:

These sound like the cutest vampire vegetables ever.

They are the anti-Bunnicula.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

turnways posted:

But what happens when we run that galaxy dry? And the one after? We're the man stuck in a rainy grove, running between trees as each becomes too soaked for shelter. We might someday be able to reverse entropy, but until then we still have insufficient data for a meaningful answer.

Thanks for that story, had never read it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kelly_Anne_Bates

A middle aged man starts a very volatile relationship with a 14year old girl. It does not end well.

quote:

On 17 April 1996 Smith presented at a police station and said that he had accidentally killed his girlfriend during an argument in the bath, claiming that she had inhaled bathwater and died despite his attempts to resuscitate her.

What they found at his house was much, much worse.

quote:

Police attended Smith's address and found Bates' naked body in a bedroom. Bates' blood was found in every room of the house, and a post-mortem examination revealed over 150 separate injuries on her body. During the last month of her life she had been kept bound in the house, sometimes tied by her hair to radiators or chairs, and at other times with a ligature around her neck. William Lawler, the Home Office pathologist who examined her body, said: "In my career, I have examined almost 600 victims of homicide but I have never come across injuries so extensive." The injuries included:

scalding to her buttocks and left leg;

burns on her thigh caused by the application of a hot iron;

a fractured arm;

multiple stab wounds caused by knives, forks and scissors;

stab wounds inside her mouth;

crush injuries to both hands;

mutilation of her ears, nose, eyebrows, mouth, lips and genitalia;

wounds caused by a spade and pruning shears; \

both eyes gouged out;

later stab wounds to the empty eye sockets;

partial scalping.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
There may be a better place than this to ask, but while we're on the topic: does anyone know any good books about the end of time/the death of the universe? I'm itching to freak myself out and read some now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Answers Me posted:

There may be a better place than this to ask, but while we're on the topic: does anyone know any good books about the end of time/the death of the universe? I'm itching to freak myself out and read some now.

Not exactly what you're looking for (it does involve the end of the universe though), but Isaac Asimov's short story The Last Question is an excellent piece of writing.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Answers Me posted:

Check out Stephen Baxter's Manifold: Time.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Cobweb Heart posted:

This is a really good book. It really is amazing how little people gave a poo poo about what was going on in his life. His parents were both alive but never noticed or cared to do anything. He had a huge and blatant drinking problem in high school that every teacher ignored.

It's honestly hard to read it and not become a little sympathetic to Dahmer; he knew he was hosed from the start and wasn't able to get anyone to help him.

I love him, personally.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
[quote="BioMe" post="432984339"]
From the source article:

monkeytennis has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Aug 2, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I certainly hope they shaved the victims and removed the teeth, for the sake of the piggies' digestion. :ohdear:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

monkeytennis posted:

[quote="BioMe" post="432984339"]
From the source article:

As soon as I saw discussion of pigs eating corpses, I felt like giving the definition of what "nemesis" means.

(A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible oval office.)

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
(Edit: Wow, this was a lovely post! Was shocked to see myself saying something like this almost ten years later. Disregard!)

Tree Huffer has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Mar 14, 2023

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

Is sheer unbridled horror within the purview of this thread? Because aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_abduction

what the gently caress

Noose Induce posted:

shut the gently caress up about serial killers holy christ

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

What the gently caress.

willus posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_of_1315%E2%80%9317 a little bit of rain never hurt anyone, right?

Semi off topic, is there a more appropriate thread, perhaps in disco debate, that discussions of sympathy and more general emotional reactions to things can go?

WHAT THE gently caress

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Articles like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future unnerve me a lot more than stuff about serial killers and the like. Just reading about all these events that are due to happen millions of years into the future that will render everything done by every person everywhere irrelevant isn't pleasant to think about.

Though I suppose it could stop you from worrying about whether or not someone feels sympathy for Jeffrey Dahmer because one day there will be no evidence that you, Jeffrey Dahmer and the concept of sympathy even existed.

What the gently caress

willus posted:

I'm not trying to claim this is the same struggle all gay people went through at the same time in any shape or form. I'm saying that, regardless of who he turned out to be, I can't help but feel sympathetic when I hear about his childhood. His childhood is what I feel sympathy for. The idea that the person he ultimately became should retroactively erase his developmental period is unnerving to me.

Additionally, I don't spend all my time reading about serial killers or studying their motives, this is the only place I get information about this kind of thing unless i go looking for content.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ervil_LeBaron Here's someone whose hosed up legacy continues to haunt people after his death.

kittenmittons posted:

:wtc:

Obdicut posted:

:staredog:

Sebastian Vettel posted:

:whoptc:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
You forgot :iit:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:iiaca:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

A middle aged man starts a very volatile relationship with a 14year old girl. It does not end well.

Horrible, but that article links to Sadistic Personality Disorder, and upon its talk page "Maneki Neko", owner of the defunct gamer blog The Gameroom Blitz, states:

quote:

Many of these behavioral traits seem to be present in the editors of cyberbully sites like Something Awful and Encyclopedia Dramatica. One can only wonder what these individuals would do once the thrill of tormenting random Internet users wears off...
:mmmhmm: I wonder what his hilarious backstory is. ALoD? Bitter banned goon? Anyone know? ED doesn't seem to have a page for him or his crappy blog. A slightly less retarded editor opines:

quote:

I would suspect that the lack of control that is inherent in the Internet would make it a less attractive venue for people with SPD than the normal real world. It's just too easy for e.g. someone to simply ignore a web site like Something Awful, and I think someone with SPD would find that intolerable.
NOOOO YOU CANT JUST IGNORE SOMETHING AWFUL

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Tree Huffer posted:

It's really unfortunate for everybody involved. There was a really lovely book based on this case called "The Girl Next Door," that even painted the child perpetrators as monsters for participating.

What the gently caress you talking 'bout ''lovely book.'' It's pretty good and only loosely based on the case.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

When the bombs fall and blast this little dirtball to a cinder, I'll have a tiny smile on my face.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

What they found at his house was much, much worse.

i'm adding this to the list of poo poo i wish i didn't know about. What an absolute bastard of a man he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

stickyfngrdboy posted:

i'm adding this to the list of poo poo i wish i didn't know about. What an absolute bastard of a man he was.

same, what the hell.... :pwn: