Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's dumb, it's so dumb. Why SE? why. It should have just been God vs God. They seem to be confusing convolution for complexity.

So they have a valid storyline connection between Dissidia and FF1 so when they next re-release FF1 they can include characters from throughout the Final Fantasy franchise as DLC.

edit-I'm not going to lie, I'd probably be one of the asshats giving them money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Madmarker posted:

So they have a valid storyline connection between Dissidia and FF1 so when they next re-release FF1 they can include characters from throughout the Final Fantasy franchise as DLC.

edit-I'm not going to lie, I'd probably be one of the asshats giving them money.

And I'd buy them up. Monk superiority all up in this bitch.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
FF14's Recruit a Friend campaign started today. So if you've been looking to dive in anyways, post an email address and someone can shoot you a code for a bonus piece of gear that will give you +20% XP under level 25 after 30 days.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's actually more dumb than that; it's Chaos who was the living superweapon - created from a gestalt of manikins - so Onrac, a little town from the original FF could rule the world. poo poo goes down and him and another manikin (who is a clone of his adopted mother - who turns into Cosmos or whatever), end up in the world of Dissidia. Also Cid ends up there.

Garland is a seperate individual, who, on the brink of death, also somehow manages to make his way to the world, and bumps into Chaos, Cosmos, Cid and Shinryu. With prompting from Cid (who has given up his pyhsical body as payment to Shinryu for starting the cycles of conflict) he guides Chaos, and eventually forms that bizarro time pact thing (which now no longer makes a lick of sense because they're not even the same being anymore). And then later during one of the other cycles, another perfect manikin manifests itself in the guise of Cid's old body. And later becomes the Warrior of Light.

It's dumb, it's so dumb. Why SE? why. It should have just been God vs God. They seem to be confusing convolution for complexity.

Oh wait, so that means only the original Chaos who started the cycle was super mega summon and the other 12 cycles were just Garland doing his time travel loop.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I mean, if you're going to make a game about all characters from all FF's fighting each, why not go full-retard on the story?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

SpazmasterX posted:

FF14's Recruit a Friend campaign started today. So if you've been looking to dive in anyways, post an email address and someone can shoot you a code for a bonus piece of gear that will give you +20% XP under level 25 after 30 days.

Clever. So you would still have to pay the subscription fee.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

RadicalR posted:

Clever. So you would still have to pay the subscription fee.

Also you will be over level 25 just playing casually for 30 days.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ragequit posted:

Also you will be over level 25 just playing casually for 30 days.

It still works for any other classes you'd want to level.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Kyrosiris posted:

The real question is does it stack with the XP bonus you get for classes that are at a lower level than your highest, and if so, is it additive or multiplicative?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dross posted:

The real question is does it stack with the XP bonus you get for classes that are at a lower level than your highest, and if so, is it additive or multiplicative?

Probably (I see no reason why not - every other XP boosting function stacks with it), and additive (Armory bonus + rested XP + guild XP bonus + eating food = +118% XP gain).

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Kyrosiris posted:

Probably (I see no reason why not - every other XP boosting function stacks with it), and additive (Armory bonus + rested XP + guild XP bonus + eating food = +118% XP gain).

Can I get that gear on an existing account somehow?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about the class switching - haven't played since release. Pretty solid deal then. I'd love to have one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dross posted:

Can I get that gear on an existing account somehow?

If you refer someone, you both get the XP booster item.

Ragequit posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about the class switching - haven't played since release. Pretty solid deal then. I'd love to have one.

Yeah, I'm kinda salty that all my friends who I'd get into FF14... have already been dragged into FF14. By me. Oh well. :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That'd be nice except it's around L30 where EXP becomes kind of a chore to get. Still nice for getting certain cross-class abilities like Blood for Blood and Swiftcast, though.

And yet another reminder that FF14 is awesome and everyone should at least give it a chance. It's what FF13 should've been, in a way.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mega64 posted:

That'd be nice except it's around L30 where EXP becomes kind of a chore to get. Still nice for getting certain cross-class abilities like Blood for Blood and Swiftcast, though.

And yet another reminder that FF14 is awesome and everyone should at least give it a chance. It's what FF13 should've been, in a way.

I always saw A Realm Reborn as a quasi-sequel to FF12 between the style of gameplay and the inclusion of Akihiko Yoshida and Hiroshi Minagawa to the team.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My PS3 pretty much just bit the dust. And in the process of trying to figure out what the hell was wrong before it finally just said gently caress it, it ate my saves and trophies. Including the FFX HD one where I was working on getting Perfect Sphere Master.

I....I don't think I can do it again when I eventually get it fixed.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

My PS3 pretty much just bit the dust. And in the process of trying to figure out what the hell was wrong before it finally just said gently caress it, it ate my saves and trophies. Including the FFX HD one where I was working on getting Perfect Sphere Master.

I....I don't think I can do it again when I eventually get it fixed.

Oh God... I'm so sorry...

I always sign into PSN just in case I get some maddeningly hard/stupid trophy like lightning dodging or chocobo races or whatever.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Madmarker posted:

Another Dissidia that's basically a remake of FF1 only with all the FF characters could be entertaining actually. It's not like it doesn't end with the world literally forgetting who the Warriors of Light were.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sunning posted:

I always saw A Realm Reborn as a quasi-sequel to FF12 between the style of gameplay and the inclusion of Akihiko Yoshida and Hiroshi Minagawa to the team.

FF12 was kind of an offline XI, whereas XIV is like XI except it's fun.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
In FFX-2 right now I'm trying to do lightning rod calibration and Paine's towers are just god-awful. I beat all of Yuna's and Rikku's towers on the first try so far, but I've had probably 50 tries at tower #5 and not done it yet. The button you need to press shows up in 1 of 3 random locations, the other two locations have fake buttons, there are 10 possible buttons you might need to press, some sets of buttons look very similar unless you are looking directly at them, and once you've done a few sets they start moving really drat fast. The set 16-25 stretch is bad enough, but my brain cannot keep up with sets 26-30 at all. Who designed this horrible minigame? Was it the same person who made FFX's chocobo racing and lightning dodging?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

maou shoujo posted:

In FFX-2 right now I'm trying to do lightning rod calibration and Paine's towers are just god-awful. I beat all of Yuna's and Rikku's towers on the first try so far, but I've had probably 50 tries at tower #5 and not done it yet. The button you need to press shows up in 1 of 3 random locations, the other two locations have fake buttons, there are 10 possible buttons you might need to press, some sets of buttons look very similar unless you are looking directly at them, and once you've done a few sets they start moving really drat fast. The set 16-25 stretch is bad enough, but my brain cannot keep up with sets 26-30 at all. Who designed this horrible minigame? Was it the same person who made FFX's chocobo racing and lightning dodging?

Just forget about the rest of them it sounds like you did enough to get the dressphere, the prizes for getting the towers perfect are not worth it and are not tied to any trophies. And yeah the towers are dumb especially tower 30.

Edit: Meant tower 10

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 2, 2014

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just forget about the rest of them it sounds like you did enough to get the dressphere, the prizes for getting the towers perfect are not worth it and are not tied to any trophies. And yeah the towers are dumb especially tower 30.

What's the prize for getting all of them perfect? I'm not exaggerating when I say I got the other towers with no misses on the first tries, but with this one I can often get to set 26 with no misses and then miss 3 times in a row. This expects TAS-like reflexes, I swear.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

maou shoujo posted:

What's the prize for getting all of them perfect? I'm not exaggerating when I say I got the other towers with no misses on the first tries, but with this one I can often get to set 26 with no misses and then miss 3 times in a row. This expects TAS-like reflexes, I swear.

There's no prize for getting them all perfect, but you get a prize later depending on the tower and how well you calibrated the tower. The prizes consist of consumables and accessories you can get somewhere else.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I bought final fantasy x HD edition and it looks great but the game brings back my hatred towards the Wakka character. Out of the whole bunch he's probably the worst.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Steinuh posted:

I bought final fantasy x HD edition and it looks great but the game brings back my hatred towards the Wakka character. Out of the whole bunch he's probably the worst.

What don't you like about him? His voice and personality or his racism and religious beliefs? I didn't mind any of the characters in FFX really besides Kihmari who's really boring.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

The preachy religious talk is pretty much like that one friend who wont stop talking about Jesus. It's like dude, we know you follow Yevon's Teachings but god drat shut up about following scripture.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Steinuh posted:

The preachy religious talk is pretty much like that one friend who wont stop talking about Jesus. It's like dude, we know you follow Yevon's Teachings but god drat shut up about following scripture.

Well at least his world shatters halfway through the game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Steinuh posted:

Wow a character from a theoretically controlled piss hole backwater town is super religious to the point of it being a bit of a flaw in a game where half the plot is tearing down the control of that religion on people. It's almost as if he's there to set the tone and thoughts of the average person in the setting.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You are on an actual religious pilgrimage for 80% of the game. Wakka is justified to keep talking about Yevon because that's what the entire group is there for.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also I think I could understand people being hyperreligious if Satan was actually real and he murdered the poo poo out of a bunch of people every decade or so.

Wakka is a good character.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fister Roboto posted:

Also I think I could understand people being hyperreligious if Satan was actually real and he murdered the poo poo out of a bunch of people every decade or so.

Wakka is a good character.

Yeah, 'I'd better believe in divine entity X since he actively killed my brother' is a pretty reasonable position to take.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what is the theoretical minimum amount of towers/which towers one should calibrate in order to get the Dressphere (or is that tied to Episode Complete/Mascot?)?

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Playing FFV for the first time (on Android), and I'm loving the jobs system. The extremely minor thing that's annoying me though is that the excellent character portraits in no way match up to the sprites they are supposed to represent. The hair colour doesn't even match in most cases! The absolute worst is Cid and his grandson: Cid's sprite wears glasses, but his portrait doesn't, and his grandson's sprite doesn't wear glasses, but his portrait does. C'mon!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Wakka could be better written but it's pretty refreshing to have a hyper-religious non-priest character who actually has firm beliefs and sometimes acts like an rear end in a top hat about them but is not just 100% an rear end in a top hat. It's more realistic than it's usually handled.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ozza posted:

Playing FFV for the first time (on Android), and I'm loving the jobs system. The extremely minor thing that's annoying me though is that the excellent character portraits in no way match up to the sprites they are supposed to represent. The hair colour doesn't even match in most cases! The absolute worst is Cid and his grandson: Cid's sprite wears glasses, but his portrait doesn't, and his grandson's sprite doesn't wear glasses, but his portrait does. C'mon!

Portraits are taken from Amano art, and that pretty much never matches up with the in-game sprites. That said, FFV has probably Amano's weakest art in the series, since all his characters end up looking similar, plus for the mobile ports the character sprites end up looking plain and washed out.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

So what is the theoretical minimum amount of towers/which towers one should calibrate in order to get the Dressphere (or is that tied to Episode Complete/Mascot?)?

I'm fairly sure you don't need to do that minigame at all. I got all the trophies in X-2 and totally ignored it

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm fairly sure you don't need to do that minigame at all. I got all the trophies in X-2 and totally ignored it

Oh, that's wonderful news, thanks!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I feel like I'm missing something in FFX. I'm currently in Mt. Gagazet and Auron only has two overdrives and Lulu's barely learned the aga spells and a faq I had been reading mentioned I should be using Yojimbo against Seymour. I thought he was a postgame badass summon?

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Man I feel like I'm missing something in FFX. I'm currently in Mt. Gagazet and Auron only has two overdrives and Lulu's barely learned the aga spells and a faq I had been reading mentioned I should be using Yojimbo against Seymour. I thought he was a postgame badass summon?

Auron gets his Overdrives by picking up the spheres with videos of him, Jecht, and Braska on their pilgrimage. Most of them are scattered from Besaid to Guadosalam, so you're mostly out of luck until postgame. I think there's one on Gagazet? If you're playing the HD remake, there's an optional boss blocking Besaid village, so you're hosed out of getting them at all until you're really strong, but his second or third Overdrive is the best anyway and only needs a couple spheres.

Lulu just picking up -aga sounds a little late, but not tremendously. Are you using the standard or expert grid? Switching everybody in for boss fights?

Yojimbo is mostly postgame but you can get him right before Gagazet. There's a transition area between the Calm Lands and Gagazet where you had to fight a golem boss. Head back there, poke around the central part and you'll find a pathway down. There's a cave in there, at the end of it you can get Yojimbo. You can bargain him down by offering half of what he opens with and increasing the price by one gil each time, but he won't go below ~200k, which is probably most of what you've got. It might be worth double-checking all those numbers just in case, I haven't played in a while. Yojimbo isn't really necessary for the next boss, though; if you really want to be cheap about it, you can fill up all the summons' Overdrive bars and summon them back to back. That'll wipe out 2/3rds or more of almost any main game boss's HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Szurumbur posted:

Yeah I messed up the prize for perfectly calibrating 5 towers is just a garment grid that gives you access to the samurai abilities regardless of job.