Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simble
May 11, 2004

Oh my dear god. Urge to kill, rising.

gently caress this guy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgpgamnwznose82/indy%20protest.rpy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Seriously, why do people refuse to slow down/brake when they crash?

http://pahlavan.se/dump/what_are_brakes.webm
(Quality became poo poo for some reason.)

If I didn't slow down my car on the clip I posted earlier where a guy rams me off the track, I would've bounced back in and people would've smashed into me.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Oh Rookies. Also which car were you?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Bentai posted:

Oh Rookies. Also which car were you?

I was much further back since I started from the pits. All I heard was somebody complaining a lot with voicechat so I decided to check it out in the replay. :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have voicechat off, is there any good reason to turn it on?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

I leave it on but bound a key to mute driver. If anyone goes on a whine parade I just mute them.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

There are also some people that think a good way to let people past is to call out pass left or right or whatever and then just slam on their brakes on the racing line.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cage posted:

I have voicechat off, is there any good reason to turn it on?

When you start racing with non rookies there's a lot of chatter but also useful info like learning that a driver is driving like poo poo or where the pace car is so you can shoot out of the pits before going a lap down. Where the wreck has occurred if it's behind you.

Also for drafting I would always let a guy know I was going to bump them or if I wanted to hook up with someone and start a 2 car train.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Is there a good etiquette guide for drafting? I always thought it was just "stay a couple feet behind" and not "push with your bumper" but I guess my way of thinking makes no sense. I googled for a specific iracing guide but didn't see anything.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

There's no real simple answer to cover all the car/track combos, but you basically want to be as close as possible. For most cars on a big enough track and with a stable enough setup you can bump draft comfortably, I know there are some Indy guys doing that this week at Michigan. If you've got a specific car or track in mind we might be able to give some more specific tips.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Dynamite Dog posted:

There are also some people that think a good way to let people past is to call out pass left or right or whatever and then just slam on their brakes on the racing line.

If I'm being lapped, I very frequently lift off for a second or two just to make sure I have the grip necessary to keep my line and let them pass inside. Oftentimes this is met with me just getting plowed in the rear end by some dick who refuses to be in control enough to take the inside line.

EDIT: In Rookie Road news, I managed 2 consecutive laps on Summit Point with no incidents with the MX-5. This is in test, mind you. I'm going to focus on one or two tracks this rookie season and try to learn them as best I can.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 31, 2014

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

That's the best way to do it imo - give a little indicator with the lift but then just run a line and let the fast car deal with passing. The one I really have a problem with is the immediate cut off-line on turn exit, which will almost always lead to an incident.

It just comes down to one thing - be predictable.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Overwined posted:

EDIT: In Rookie Road news, I managed 2 consecutive laps on Summit Point with no incidents with the MX-5. This is in test, mind you. I'm going to focus on one or two tracks this rookie season and try to learn them as best I can.
My first ever Rookie race on road courses was an MX-5 at Summit Point, I started 11th and finished 4th, just missed out on a podium when some A Grade guy got by me on the penultimate lap. :c00lbert: poo poo owned.

On the other hand, I think I may despise trying to drive ovals in all forms, since I inevitably end up smashing into a wall or 7 within a couple of laps.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Finally snagged a driving force gt wheel today! :D

So psyched to not be horrible anymore. I know a few people have chimed in with champions playing with a gamepad, but Ive always hated hated them. I guess I just have clumsy thumbs. For example, GTA is my favorite series ever. I own a 360 and yet I refuse to play GTA:V until it comes out on PC because I hate gamepads that much.

oses
Jul 20, 2014

Cage posted:

Finally snagged a driving force gt wheel today! :D

Hype! Be sure to get the settings dialed in, there are threads on the official forums that are pretty good at advising what type of settings would be useful to you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

also remember that different vehicles may need different FFB strengths (Which can be adjusted in race)
If I had the setting at 12 for trucks, and went to indy my hands would be numb in no time from the deathgrip I needed so I'd need to dial it down a bit.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Definitely get the latest drivers. I wouldn't even run the included CD at all.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010

Cage posted:

Is there a good etiquette guide for drafting? I always thought it was just "stay a couple feet behind" and not "push with your bumper" but I guess my way of thinking makes no sense. I googled for a specific iracing guide but didn't see anything.
As long as your bumpers are all squared up I don't see a problem with pushing on a long straightaway, just be sure to brake a bit earlier than you normally would.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Starting from pits is the best advice ever.
http://pahlavan.se/dump/iracing_pits.webm

I finished second in that race.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

I might try that. I just us a simple overlay for OBS when I stream.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I'm finally home without a million things to do this weekend. Are there any good races happening?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm greatly enjoying the DW12 at Michigan.

oses
Jul 20, 2014

Harveygod posted:

I'm finally home without a million things to do this weekend. Are there any good races happening?

Always, just hop in IRC if you wana see whats going on.

Also: I just got owned hardcore. Was put into the top mx-5 split and was over a second a lap slower than almost everyone else. Sucks to suck. http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=11484527&custid=81977

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I feel lovely having to defend my position by driving on the Michigan apron, but until iracing makes the apron a 1x off track or the indycar fixed setup makes that line a major disadvantage I'll have to start running there.

oses
Jul 20, 2014
What do you guys do when people are lagging super hard? I've had three races in a row where someone is lagging unbearably bad to the point where this last race I was on the high side at Charlotte oval and somehow I got turned by someone who was on the low line. No contact on my screen, but of course a 4x and it spun me around. I wish I could protest these guys for having 900+ ping.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

oses posted:

What do you guys do when people are lagging super hard? I've had three races in a row where someone is lagging unbearably bad to the point where this last race I was on the high side at Charlotte oval and somehow I got turned by someone who was on the low line. No contact on my screen, but of course a 4x and it spun me around. I wish I could protest these guys for having 900+ ping.

How about checking your geo-privilege?

Unless the guy is in the US or something and trying to play on a copper line I'd just chill, sometimes the servers group people in a way that shafts certain regions at certain times of day.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

900 does seem a bit extreme though. I usually see ~60 on local servers (US on US, EU on EU, AU on AU), ~150 for Europe-US and US-AU, then about 300 for AU-EU.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You can get it if enough Euro players are online to force a Euro server with Au players on it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone ever experience cars vanishing and reappearing? Is that also because of some network issues or something? Some cars do it all the time to the point where I just avoid driving near them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It happens if someone else has a terrible connection. Usually it is someone who won't use voice chat or text and is driving like an idiot. iRacing is supposed to boot them from the game if their connection gets too bad but it often doesn't. Just stay away from them because there's not much you can do about it.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Torabi posted:

Anyone ever experience cars vanishing and reappearing? Is that also because of some network issues or something? Some cars do it all the time to the point where I just avoid driving near them.
I've been having this problem a lot recently. To other drivers and spectators I never blink, but on my screen every minute or so the entire field will blink out for a few miliseconds. This is not a good thing to have occurring in pack racing.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
They have any deals going on right now for lapsed accounts? Just refinished my basement and got my computer back hooked up only to find mine ran out 5 days ago.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
3 months for five dollars right? But they may have to email you the code I'm not sure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah if you don't mind waiting a bit you can get a deal, they'll e-mail you and say come back.. we want your track and car monies.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NQqDXK6fDY

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Bentai posted:

I feel lovely having to defend my position by driving on the Michigan apron, but until iracing makes the apron a 1x off track or the indycar fixed setup makes that line a major disadvantage I'll have to start running there.

Why? I use it every race. Kansas as well.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

My D License is now 4.42. Yay. People have been telling me that nascar trucks is the most popular so I guess I should go with that. But then there is the other nascar iracing series where you can drive one of three cars. No idea which one to pick. Any tips? Chevrolet SS, Ford Fusion or a Toyota Camry.

God drat it why isn't there a try before you buy.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Torabi posted:

My D License is now 4.42. Yay. People have been telling me that nascar trucks is the most popular so I guess I should go with that. But then there is the other nascar iracing series where you can drive one of three cars. No idea which one to pick. Any tips? Chevrolet SS, Ford Fusion or a Toyota Camry.

God drat it why isn't there a try before you buy.

They are identical in every way except from the looks. Pick the make you like best.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Largepotato posted:

They are identical in every way except from the looks. Pick the make you like best.

Oh, alright. Figured they should at least be different a little bit since they are different cars. Is it just that the cars really are very similar or that iracing doesn't bother simulating them properly?

By the way, there doesn't seem to be any sessions at all for Nascar Iracing Series. At least not when I'm looking. I see sessions for the nascar trucks though. Maybe I should just get a truck and go full redneck.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't have much time to memorise tracks and tweak settings these days but I love the iracing online experience, I think it's unique and fun.
So having said that what do you guys think is the easiest way to jump in and play? I'm thinking rookie ovals, but am I missing anything?

• Locked thread