Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

heck of a job, Brennie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Don We Now posted:

awe shucks. golly gee willikers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So is uh the president going to prosecute those folk torturers or no.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

euphronius posted:

It would open the door to making elected officials responsible for their actions.

So no.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

here's a clip of obama's latest speech

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

euphronius posted:

"On the other hand, we didn't prosecute any folks."

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

What kind of supermarket is out of rambutan, there was a sale advertised. :argh:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Gitmo detainees won't be released until Congress authorizes a mass butt-touching party .

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Am I allowed to like Tyrant? It's silly in parts and full of stereotypes (though many of them are loving deserved, heh) and I know the people behind it are going to take it completely off the rails at any moment, but I love Ashraf Barhom and will watch him in pretty much anything. Dude is mesmerizing as an actor.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Am I allowed to like Tyrant? It's silly in parts and full of stereotypes (though many of them are loving deserved, heh) and I know the people behind it are going to take it completely off the rails at any moment, but I love Ashraf Barhom and will watch him in pretty much anything. Dude is mesmerizing as an actor.

I think it's okay to enjoy it, or at least pieces of it, as long as you're aware of its stereotypes and extreme oversimplifications of Middle Eastern culture, which you obviously are. I watched all of "American Horror Story: Coven," knowing all the while that it was pretty much the worst thing I had ever seen on TV, because A, it was fun to watch the trainwreck, and B, it did have small nuggets of good stuff in it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Princelings, despotic crown princes, expat society wives and self-serving opposition leaders they're got completely nailed for sure. The rest, I dunno, but it's like a less well-written alt history of the ending of Syriana and the political angle I enjoy.

EDIT: Also ASHRAF BARHOM.

EDIT EDIT: It's going to be like Homeland, where I'm intrigued by the first few episodes and then it becomes clear very quickly that the whole thing is hilariously off the rails.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Syriana is the best movie ever made about its subject matter. If anyone missed it, watch it.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 2, 2014

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

On that note, I'm curious what everyone thinks of The Honourable Woman.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Syriana is the best movie ever made about its subject matter. If anyone missed it, watch it.

Counterpoint: Three Kings

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Three Kings is good, but it deals with the people on the ground entirely. The scope of Syriana is breathtaking and its portrayals of how things go from top to bottom and back is fantastic. Like if you ever wonder what it's like in the world that Bennett and Dean and Jimmy and Bryan and Prince Nasir occupy, it's about as close as film is going to get by reliable accounts.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 2, 2014

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I'm not familiar with Truth and Reconciliation commissions but Obama's statements made me think of them.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
When it came out, I passed on going to see Syriana because the clips of the "Corruption makes America great" scene and George Clooney walking away from an exploding car seemed hokey.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

boyhood... was great.

*shoots a gun in the air*

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I really liked Body of Lies when I watched it in a cinema, but I don't know if it holds up. It's very talking heads-y, IIRC, but Leo and Russell Crowe are good actors, so.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
was this the thread someone posted about charisma.com? i forget, i think i might have seen this in the UKMT or something. anyway, just so the stupid discussion thread has at least one post about charisma.com, they are good. electro rap from glorious nippon. here is a good song by them, thanks for reading my post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_IxpF0vNU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

comes along bort posted:

They would've been way more entertaining if Peter Jackson was limited to the budget, set, and prop department from Meet the Feebles.:colbert:

There's a PBS doc from about 20 years ago on the '34 textile workers strike that focuses on the violence and fallout from the strikes on the communities involved. Not Appalachia exactly, but a significant chunk of the workers involved their families came down from the mountains to work in mills when timber companies came in and ruined subsistence farming a generation prior.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/uprisingof34/
http://www.der.org/films/uprising-of-34.html

drat. I'm unfortunately not willing to pay $25 for this even though it looks amazing. The preview I found on youtube really makes me want to buy it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Sl9OTtUkU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mauser posted:

drat. I'm unfortunately not willing to pay $25 for this even though it looks amazing. The preview I found on youtube really makes me want to buy it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Sl9OTtUkU

You can't be bothered to devote $25 to the workers' cause? Bourgeois bootlicker.:colbert:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If you were wondering if all the great reviews of Snowpiercer are accurate: Yes, they are. You should go see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5PwfEMBM0

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Thanatosian posted:

If you were wondering if all the great reviews of Snowpiercer are accurate: Yes, they are. You should go see it.
Snowpiercer was odd, but enjoyable. Bioshock on a train. Contrast with another very esoteric movie, Cloud Atlas, which was odd and, well, just odd. I have a lot of time for the Wachowskis, so I went in with an open mind and did enjoy it, but it was just too much story to tie together well I think.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The second half of Snowpiercer is orders of magnitude more interesting than the first one, that's for sure, but I couldn't bring myself to like it, even though it was funny with a Bioshock on a Train.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

I have a lot of time for the Wachowskis

You are a very patient man. Forgiving, too.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Did someone five pages back really say Eternal Sunshine was the best movie they've seen because Jesus Christ

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Did someone five pages back really say Eternal Sunshine was the best movie they've seen because Jesus Christ
it's a really good movie, but it's not even charlie kaufman's best movie - which is, quite clearly, adaptation.

the best movie ever, then, is tarkovsky's stalker.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If you think Snowpiercer is Bioshock on a train, then you didn't pay very much attention to one or both of those things.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

paragon1 posted:

If you think Snowpiercer is Bioshock on a train, then you didn't pay very much attention to one or both of those things.
Check out the angry Bioshock nerd. Actual photo taken from his hacked webcam just now:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Wolfsheim posted:

Every Valentine's Day I get a big pile of food delivered, watch Eternal Sunshine, and drink myself as close to unconsciousness as I can.

One year I got a small shot glass and shot my age (25) with some friends, then went a few extra, but I'm getting a little too old for those kinds of shenanigans now.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Dr. Strangelove
Sneakers
Howard the Duck

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone have the sparkly, possibly pink "gently caress ISRAEL" animated gif?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm trying to find concealed carry statistics, but the first few results on google do not look promising.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!

spoon0042 posted:

Dr. Strangelove
Sneakers
Howard the Duck

This guy right here knows what's up!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

ReindeerF posted:

Check out the angry Bioshock nerd. Actual photo taken from his hacked webcam just now:

Well I wasn't angry before but your incredibly douchey post is certainly getting me there!

It's really not my fault if you can't tell the differences between two different things!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

skaboomizzy posted:

Every Valentine's Day I get a big pile of food delivered, watch Eternal Sunshine, and drink myself as close to unconsciousness as I can.

One year I got a small shot glass and shot my age (25) with some friends, then went a few extra, but I'm getting a little too old for those kinds of shenanigans now.

I know the point of the movie is "relationships, huh?" but I hate that instead of treating the memory-eraser as something to be hand-waved away for the sake of letting the protagonist go on a visually-surreal emotional journey they actually keep it at the forefront. And then, a major plot point depends on a character realizing near the end of the film that erasing a huge chunk of someone's memory might cause problems unrelated to getting over a bad break-up. It basically gives itself props for inventing a bad thing and then pointing out that it would be bad.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Swan Oat posted:

Counterpoint: Three Kings

counter-counter-point: four lions

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

counter-counter-point: four lions

Counter-counter-counter-point: Five Guys Burger and Fries.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counter-counter-counter-point: Five Guys Burger and Fries.

gently caress i've been vanquished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

hamster_style posted:

This guy right here knows what's up!

I love Sneakers but Robert Redford is just so amazingly badly cast. He's a great actor but that was just not his role, you know?

• Locked thread