Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Check and make sure the corpse is actually dead. I don't want any "dead" bodies pulling a jigsaw and stabbing us in the back while we're searching for clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Hm. We just saw a watch with no hands. Any chance the stiff's hands match up to a watch face and thus a time/number?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Well that happened.

If you can, open both caskets and identify the corpse.

(Also I'm still sorry and if you ask I will stop)
Ho-lee heck.
That sick little...
This is the second or third goddamn church we've been to which is filled with crazy poo poo!
Wha?
What, is this Carmen trying to tell us she's gone hard atheist? Trying to kill our faith? Did she buy a poo poo book this weekend and not like it when she read it?!
I don't really-
No gently caress your 'I don't really's! We're locked in here with two ta three corpses and there's nothing we can do until we figure this poo poo out!

Meanwhile, Location Unknown:
Oh, I bet they're going Goddammit right about now. *snrk*
Nonono wait wait, I bet they're mad they're "Mary"'d to the case! Hehaheha!
Maybe it's like "Oh I don't wanna die a virgin in the house of the immaculate birth!"
I should write that one down.
I imagine Carmen is bad at being funny

Trollhawke fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 1, 2014

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
gently caress the corpse in the rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Hate to say it, but I'll be unable to update for a couple days. In the meantime, consider the vast number of clues given to you about where to go next! Who knows, you may already have figured it out, but nobody has tied all the clues together yet into a clear winner!

Or, y'know, you could just "gently caress the corpse in the rear end" until I get back.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Chewbot posted:

Hate to say it, but I'll be unable to update for a couple days. In the meantime, consider the vast number of clues given to you about where to go next! Who knows, you may already have figured it out, but nobody has tied all the clues together yet into a clear winner!

Or, y'know, you could just "gently caress the corpse in the rear end" until I get back.

:butt: :wiggle:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Chewbot posted:

Hey, that's a legit option, I'm sure. I don't know what it could accomplish, but the only solution I figured out is currently getting us killed, so what do I know?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Crupper, look! The keys to the Kremlin were in there all along. You plunged them right out!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is that the Milky Way?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Death traps tend to have an off-switch somewhere.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Did we check our pockets for the keys? Better yet, are the diamond pins secretly the keys?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Carmen's last line refers to immaculate birth.

Maybe the gut refers specifically to the womb?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

dragon_pamcake posted:

Carmen's last line refers to immaculate birth.

Maybe the gut refers specifically to the womb?

If we're going to start taking scenarios thought up by readers as canon, then we're really going to get a whole new universe of chaos.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Trollhawke posted:

(Also I'm still sorry and if you ask I will stop)

Stop? You're practically Chewbot's replacement for the next two days!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sorry. Already covered.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 2, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Torturing that clue-corpse is also definitely against the Geneva convention. I am over-thinking it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
This is almost certainly a preposterous longshot - the "check the ceiling, and the coffin lid" options seem the most immediately relevant - but I decided to try to mash up two thoughts and see if they went anywhere fun:
  • The corpse is posed like the Statue of Liberty
  • "See things from her perspective"
What is the Statue of Liberty's perspective?

So I hit up the National Park Service page and - beyond The New Colossus and the date of American Independence - got this stuff that might be relevant:

quote:

Direction: The Statue faces southeast in perfect symmetry with the placement of Fort Wood and how people would see the Statue while entering the harbor.

Chains: Chains and a broken shackle are at the Statue's feet and cannot be seen from below.

Italics mine. I don't see any chains or broken shackles in the illustration, though.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
You mean the Statue of Liberty designed by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi?

I think we're really on the right track now.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
"Try to see things from her perspective, and think about what you did."

I feel like the second part of that is important somehow. The obvious conotation that it's a personal message is there, but what if it's part of the clue as well? Has there been anything up to this point that would require rethinking?

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
This may be a bit far-fetched but has anyone thought of laying on her burial receptacle to see if you can notice anything new?

Edit: if she's even buried in here
Edit2: Man didn't even notice that the dead guy is posed as the statue of liberty.

Shinarato fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 2, 2014

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

I feel like the second part of that is important somehow.

We checked somebody's watch. Is this guy wearing one?

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Hmm, well I'm lost. At this the message hints at us being on the right tract, but we might be too late.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

grandalt posted:

Hmm, well I'm lost. At this the message hints at us being on the right tract, but we might be too late.

The good news is that, if it *is* the Statue of Liberty they're talking about, we should have a bit more time - Vienna is six hours ahead of New York.

Incidentally. The Rolex crown? Reminds me a bit of the one on the Statue of Liberty... Though that's a stretch. (Oh, and if we're talking about fakes, there are a few reduced-scale replicas in Paris. I was hoping one was in the third arrondissement, but it doesn't look like it.)

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 2, 2014

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

David Corbett posted:

The good news is that, if it *is* the Statue of Liberty they're talking about, we should have a bit more time - Vienna is six hours ahead of New York.

The watch had the third on it, which we're pretty sure means July 3rd (since it is currently the 2nd). This is one reason I don't think we're supposed to go to New York - the date on Liberty's tablet is, of course, July 4th.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

If we can even get there. After all, we've just been locked in down here. If there is a solution to this puzzle, it's probably in this room.

e: not that this invalidates any of the Statue of Liberty theories, but it could well involve looking south-east from the dead body. Or see if there are chains at his feet.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 2, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

David Corbett posted:

I was hoping one was in the third arrondissement, but it doesn't look like it.)

There's one in the Musee Des Arts-et-Metiers in the 3rd arrondissement, actually. It was the original model.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I can't help but feel that, at some point in this LP, Chewbot will just put some clues up, wait for the method of putting them together he likes best, and be all 'yeah that's totally the answer'. After all, he isn't even necessarily playing the game...

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

FredMSloniker posted:

I can't help but feel that, at some point in this LP, Chewbot will just put some clues up, wait for the method of putting them together he likes best, and be all 'yeah that's totally the answer'. After all, he isn't even necessarily playing the game...

What if he makes that a puzzle, and the real challenge would be for Hale and Crupper to figure out that it's Carmen's cleverest test for them, to figure out that the puzzles are being manipulated on the fly so they're always right?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, if the Statue of Liberty is the right direction to take this, and she has a broken shackle and chain at her feet (only visible from her POV), then the only thing I can think of that we "have done" that is relevant is liberate the girls from the secret prison (possibly). Which does fit in with the theme of the Lady.

I wonder if New York is going to be our next destination. I guess it depends on what we find on the ceiling or coffin lid.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Well, I think the Statue of Liberty is definitely the right direction, given this tidbit:

Chewbot posted:

No. Just another statue of a woman in a robe.
Seems to be a running theme.

As for the message, doesn't the Statue of Liberty face east, towards France, and Paris specifically? There's a replica of the Statue on Île aux Cygnes, facing towards the American counterpart. Not sure about the "think about what you did" part.

Also, the message "Uxori optimae Auguste" - "Auguste to his perfect/best wife" - might point to the Statue, as its body was apparently modeled on Auguste's wife, Jeanne-Emilie.

If the Statue of Liberty does face towards the replica in Paris, then I guess this might tie into the "fake diamond - fake statue" idea?

szary fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 2, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Chewbot posted:

woman in a robe.

If Carmen steals Ruth Bader Ginsburg I'm going to be very upset.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jenner posted:

If Carmen steals Ruth Bader Ginsburg I'm going to be very upset.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a national treasure!

... oh no

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Not even Evil Muderess Carmen Sandiego is that heartless... is she?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Clearly, Carmen Sandiego has stolen Bea Arthur from our lives. I even have evidence to support my claim!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I think it means we either have to see what our "Lady Liberty" is looking at, and then look either above the coffin of Elisabeth or the inside of the casket's door.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

szary posted:

As for the message, doesn't the Statue of Liberty face east, towards France, and Paris specifically?

The page I linked above says southeast, so that incoming ships could see her face-on.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

RickVoid posted:

Well, if the Statue of Liberty is the right direction to take this, and she has a broken shackle and chain at her feet (only visible from her POV), then the only thing I can think of that we "have done" that is relevant is liberate the girls from the secret prison (possibly). Which does fit in with the theme of the Lady.

I wonder if New York is going to be our next destination. I guess it depends on what we find on the ceiling or coffin lid.

That sounds like a good thought. It also makes me think that we should not open the coffin, if it's the guy-posed-as-the-Statue whose perspective we're expected to have. (Is there something written on the wall where his face is pointing? How about on the floor at his feet?)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god.

Try seeing things from her perspective. New York. We're going to New York.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I wonder if there's a meta-clue in here. Apart from the solution to the current mystery, overall, we're trying to figure out what the hell is going on with Carmen. This could be the beginnings of a clue to that, too: think about what you did, see things from her perspective. There may be more to that in future missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Maybe it's more than that... what if these are the clues to Carmen's next heist?

On the other hand, the Keys to the Kremlin showing up in America could be a national incident.

Either way, the boys are coming home.

• Locked thread