Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, it's Toriyama, not Toei. It's the goofiest parts of the Buu saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously while Vegeta's BINGO dance is the greatest thing in the movie, there are just way too many things to list in that movie that made me laugh and smile.

The pictures etc scream it's super serious movie, but it ain't at all. I considering Battle of the Gods one of the best DB movies actually. Up there with Bojack and Fusion Reborn.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shindragon posted:

Seriously while Vegeta's BINGO dance is the greatest thing in the movie, there are just way too many things to list in that movie that made me laugh and smile.

The pictures etc scream it's super serious movie, but it ain't at all. I considering Battle of the Gods one of the best DB movies actually. Up there with Bojack and Fusion Reborn.

I really agree. Battle of Gods was hardly anything I expected it to be and was all the better for it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Shindragon posted:

I liked it way better than either of those movies. Easily my favorite DBZ movie made thus far.

The ending fight though was a bit.... too much. I understand that they needed to really try and elevate the fighting and make it all about Goku saving the day :saddowns: but Vegeta seriously steals the show hardcore.

I HIGHLY recommend it. I already bought my ticket.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just FYI, there's about a good 20+ clips of Battle of the Gods on youtube uploaded by Funimation and other companies they permit of the movie. It's gotten to the point where you can probably watch the whole drat movie with just those clips.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

HGH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRevF9YrY7M

Eh, I wouldn't mind Hachiyak Abridged. Would make for some dumb fun.

I'd just like to point out that this video seems to be schilling BoG on a very official level and two of the TFS guys have recently moved fairly close to Funimation headquarters. Something is going down here.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Didn't the guy who voices Dr. Gero and Cooler end up actually doing some voice work for Funimation?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Generalivan actually works for Funimation and is going to be voicing the main antagonist of Thriller Bark, Gecko Moriah, in their upcoming One Piece DVDs. I'd say it's definite that they have jobs if they're that close to Funimations studios.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah, Generalivan actually works for Funimation and is going to be voicing the main antagonist of Thriller Bark, Gecko Moriah, in their upcoming One Piece DVDs. I'd say it's definite that they have jobs if they're that close to Funimations studios.

Wait, seriously? That's not what I expected for Moria at all.

Well played, Funimation, you managed to pique my interest.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Blue Star posted:

Regarding how DBZ developed as a story:

Cell was actually the last serious villain, not Freeza. Which is fitting, when you think about it. Cell is sort of a capstone on all of Goku's previous "serious villains", being a combination of them all: the Red Ribbon Army, Piccolo, the Saiyans, and Freeza. It was the last arc where the heroes needed to get stronger to beat the bad guy. General Tao, Piccolo, the Saiyans, Freeza: all of those kicked Goku's poo poo in the first time he fought them (Freeza is one big fight, but he was definitely winning before Goku became Super Saiyan). Once Cell is done, it's back to pre-Red Ribbon gag manga stuff: the Buu Arc. Not that Buu Arc doesn't have serious stuff, but all of the "I must become more powerful-er" subplots become null, and often played for jokes anyway. Look how goofy Super Saiyan 3 looks. Look at Gotenks' stupid outfit. It's funny.

Hell, Super Saiyan 3, as I understand, was put in ENTIRELY as a dig at the "I must become more powerful-er"/POWER LEVELZ poo poo. It was another form, where it was expected Goku would do what he done to Freeza, and what Gohan done to Cell, and power up and win.

...Except, practically speaking, Super Saiyan 3 is absolutely useless. It makes the user worse overall, and is pretty much a handicap.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Hell, Super Saiyan 3, as I understand, was put in ENTIRELY as a dig at the "I must become more powerful-er"/POWER LEVELZ poo poo. It was another form, where it was expected Goku would do what he done to Freeza, and what Gohan done to Cell, and power up and win.

...Except, practically speaking, Super Saiyan 3 is absolutely useless. It makes the user worse overall, and is pretty much a handicap.

I'm guessing it would be fine if one were able to finish a given fight almost immediately with/because of it. Also if you don't mind aging a full day in three minutes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
SS3 can be good, it just needs very specific circumstances.

Very specific circumstances.

Also you should preferably not being fighting Buu.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Super Saiyan 3 is a flat upgrade to everything, the only drawback is how quickly it drains the user's stamina (or Fusion time in the case of Gotenks, who never seemed too bothered by how taxing the form was). It's a bad form to use against Buu, considering his impossibly high survivability and regeneration. Matching Buu was a losing battle, you had to outmatch him for a full battle (like Gohan) or be able to just dust him into oblivion (like Vegito). Super Saiyan 3 wasn't a big enough boost to be able to do the latter and the users weren't seasoned enough in its use to last long enough to do the former (assuming Gotenks could even do that).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hobo Siege posted:

I'm guessing it would be fine if one were able to finish a given fight almost immediately with/because of it. Also if you don't mind aging a full day in three minutes.

For example, Goku could have easily gone Super Saiyan 3 against Majin Vegeta, oneshotted him, and hen Majin Buu would never have been revived and killed billions of people.

But, you know, I guess the God of the Universe telling you that the fate of existence is more important than your egos isn't enough of a hint for Goku and Vegeta.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 3, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If there's one thing you can say for sure about Vegeta, it's that he's not one for rolling over and giving up against impossibly stronger opponents.

SS3 Goku vs Majin Vegeta probably would have ended with Goku running out of time and poofing back to the afterlife. Vegeta would have been so mad.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

If there's one thing you can say for sure about Vegeta, it's that he's not one for rolling over and giving up against impossibly stronger opponents.

SS3 Goku vs Majin Vegeta probably would have ended with Goku running out of time and poofing back to the afterlife. Vegeta would have been so mad.

Maybe he would've hit Super Saiyan 3 from the anger?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I never quite got how Goku going Super Saiyan 3 somehow made his ghost-time run out quicker as well. Did he have like a set amount of energy he could use or something?

It's obviously an arbitrary cap for the narrative but the justification was off to me.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Zorak posted:

I never quite got how Goku going Super Saiyan 3 somehow made his ghost-time run out quicker as well. Did he have like a set amount of energy he could use or something?

It's obviously an arbitrary cap for the narrative but the justification was off to me.

Yeah. Baba says this when Goku's almost done.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It cuts Gotenk's fusion time in half too, so it's apparently just so god drat draining it affects metaphysical timers too.

Truly something the greatest student of the man who created the Kaio Ken would make.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Zorak posted:

Best explanation I've heard is that SSJ3 is so taxing that it physically ages the body.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Can anyone recommend a good fansub group for the new DB Kai episodes?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

The way I took it, SSJ3 was a form that was never intended to be used in the living world anyway. We see the transformation itself is taxing when you're not used to the form, and the energy drainage is max. Over a long fight it just isn't ideal. I actually like the idea of this kick rear end form that ends up being useless since it was never meant for the living anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

My favorite part of SSJ3 is how Goku's initial transformation threatens the entire planet.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=981B0c6utO8

Starting to really enjoy the episode breakdowns by KaiserNeko. Just so many little details that he adds in or that he has to fix up from the original footage.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's also kinda crazy finding out how some effects you might take for granted seem to take up a bunch of time in comparison to cooler stuff.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

A good look at Super 4 Broly, for Dragon Ball Heroes.

Who wants to bet on this thing showing up in the Xenoverse game?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

StrifeHira posted:

A good look at Super 4 Broly, for Dragon Ball Heroes.

Who wants to bet on this thing showing up in the Xenoverse game?

Christ what with battle of the gods I was hoping we'd never see that awful ss4 design ever again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Monaghan posted:

Christ what with battle of the gods I was hoping we'd never see that awful ss4 design ever again.

Super Saiyan God Broly coming soon

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who all is excited to see Battle of the Gods tonight?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah drat it. I forgot about it.

Also in regards to TFS next episode should before Labor Day.

Can't wait to see Piccolo's/Cell's fight. That was pretty cool because Piccolo tricks Cell into explaining things just so he can buy time to regain his arm.

It's hilarious because it's the heroes who let the enemies power up/transform. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Beef Waifu posted:

I am very excited. I haven't seen it yet, so this should be great. I feel like I'm back in middle school.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Beef Waifu posted:

I have my ticket already, they printed it when I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy. But the showings up in NE don't go up until tomorrow.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Beef Waifu posted:

So excited. Just wish my irl friends weren't so busy.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I don't see it till next Monday. Then I can reach my final form. :ssj:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If anybody's keeping up with the currently-airing DB Kai, they just started the Goku/Vegeta rematch fight. Next episode: Buu.

Although, beyond saying it exists, I'm not sure what there is to talk about. DB Online and TFS and "How dumb are powerlevels, right?" are more interesting for discussion.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

If anybody's keeping up with the currently-airing DB Kai, they just started the Goku/Vegeta rematch fight. Next episode: Buu.

Although, beyond saying it exists, I'm not sure what there is to talk about. DB Online and TFS and "How dumb are powerlevels, right?" are more interesting for discussion.

Kai doesn't even really re-animate anything, right? It's just recut and remastered, right? What is there to even say about a show like that beyond "Yep, more dragonball," or waxing nostalgic about parts you haven't seen in a while?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
It gets to the point. Which is what we all want when watching a punch show.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Kai doesn't even really re-animate anything, right? It's just recut and remastered, right? What is there to even say about a show like that beyond "Yep, more dragonball," or waxing nostalgic about parts you haven't seen in a while?

For the most part it is recut, but there have been some animations they had to completely redo, it was more evident in the beginning though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, rewatching the Mecha Freeza bit in DBA, am I the only one who kinda wanted to see the Z-fighters try and hold out against Freeza and Cold? It would basically have been them vs Vegeta and Nappa again, but gently caress, DBZ was generally more interesting early on anyway. You could have had the weaker fighters squaring off against Freeza's goons or an elite or two, while Piccolo and Vegeta tried to hold off Freeza or Cold - Cold would make more sense, have him square off against them in his lesser form for giggles while they wait for Goku to show up. Then Goku shows up (or maybe Piccolo dies and Gohan goes Super Saiyan?) and ices Freeza, but then Cold transforms and actually does poo poo.

I dunno, sounds neat. Not to vomit my fanfiction onto SA or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will say, rewatching the Mecha Freeza bit in DBA, am I the only one who kinda wanted to see the Z-fighters try and hold out against Freeza and Cold? It would basically have been them vs Vegeta and Nappa again, but gently caress, DBZ was generally more interesting early on anyway. You could have had the weaker fighters squaring off against Freeza's goons or an elite or two, while Piccolo and Vegeta tried to hold off Freeza or Cold - Cold would make more sense, have him square off against them in his lesser form for giggles while they wait for Goku to show up. Then Goku shows up (or maybe Piccolo dies and Gohan goes Super Saiyan?) and ices Freeza, but then Cold transforms and actually does poo poo.

I dunno, sounds neat. Not to vomit my fanfiction onto SA or anything.

We know something pretty close happens in the original timeline where Goku teleports and fights/eventually defeats Cold and Freeza. I'd imagine it was a lot like the guys vs Nappa except no one died before Goku got there.

• Locked thread